PDA

View Full Version : Northern Iowa vs. South Dakota State

igo4uni
September 11th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Northern Iowa is coming off of a big win vs. the Iowa State Cyclowns and SDSU has played 2 Gateway teams tough.

Thoughts on this game???

Bison77
September 12th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Northern Iowa is coming off of a big win vs. the Iowa State Cyclowns and SDSU has played 2 Gateway teams tough.

Thoughts on this game???

Tough place to place but until the SDSU O gets going I have to go with UNI.

Gil Dobie
September 12th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Rabbits start slow again this season, with a tougher schedule. Jacks are ready to pull this one off against the Panthers

Kelly Green
September 12th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Jackrabbits lose their home opener and start the season 0-3.

Mountain Panther
September 12th, 2007, 08:56 AM
For a small fee, you will be able to watch this game live on the web:

http://all-access.cstv.com/cstv/player/player.html?code=niwa

X-Factor
September 12th, 2007, 10:28 AM
tough way to start the season. I think the Jacks could do OK this season, but it's going to be hard to pick them over UNI. Definitely should be an excellent game however. I'm not going to pick!! too close to call.

Mountain Panther
September 12th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Tough place to place but until the SDSU O gets going I have to go with UNI.

What makes it a tough place to play?

Dome fan
September 12th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I want and will go with my panthers but I know the Jacks are tuff!! Could go either way but I hope this might be the season to remember for UNI!!!!!

Make me proud PURPLE & GOLD Make me proud!

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2007, 12:33 PM
stuck working. wish i could go. UNI wins easily if they play their game, but that being said, we play the game for a reason. SDSU could definitely win this game.

nmatsen
September 12th, 2007, 02:28 PM
UNI SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD win this game handily. I just am very worried about the intensity level for this game being very high for SDSU especially this being their home opener being 0-2 and UNI going from Jack Trice to what I hear is a high school football stadium. At least in Iowa.

Leads me to my next question. Not to knock but I have been told that this is nothing more than a high school football stadium. What will make this a tough environment for the panthers? Or, have I been given poor information and this is not a 6,500 seats on two sides of a grass field with a track going around it?

Mountain Panther
September 12th, 2007, 02:30 PM
UNI SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD win this game handily. I just am very worried about the intensity level for this game being very high for SDSU especially this being their home opener being 0-2 and UNI going from Jack Trice to what I hear is a high school football stadium. At least in Iowa.

Leads me to my next question. Not to knock but I have been told that this is nothing more than a high school football stadium. What will make this a tough environment for the panthers? Or, have I been given poor information and this is not a 6,500 seats on two sides of a grass field with a track going around it?

I thought I read somewhere that their stadium can hold 15K.

BISON Thunder
September 12th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I thought I read somewhere that their stadium can hold 15K.

From their website:

Coughlin-Alumni Stadium

Coughlin-Alumni Stadium has served as the home field for South Dakota State Univeristy football teams since 1962.

Through the first 44 years of operation, the Jackrabbits have played 234 games at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium and have posted a 141-93 home record. In 2005, SDSU completed a 5-2 home record, improving to 39-13 at home in John Stiegelmeier's nine seasons as head coach.

Lights were installed at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium in the fall of 2000, with the Jackrabbits making their debut under the lights during the 2001 season. SDSU holds a 12-2 record in home night games.

SDSU has four games scheduled at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium during the 2006 season, including two night games.

An average of 6,934 fans attended Jackrabbit games at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium in 2005. Two crowds topped the 10,000 mark as 10,633 fans attended the Sept. 24 Beef Bowl game against Cal Poly and a crowd of 14,503 attended the Oct. 22 Hobo Day game with Missouri-Rolla.

The largest crowd ever to see a football game of any kind in South Dakota came through the turnstiles on Hobo Day, Oct. 19, 1985, when 16,193 fans saw SDSU defeat the University of South Dakota 24-12. USD was undefeated and ranked No. 1 in the nation (NCAA Division II) at the time.

The stadium project was started after Charles Coughlin, a 1909 SDSU graduate and former team captain, donated $50,000 towards the building of a new stadium to replace State Field. The remaining $250,000 of the original $300,000 cost was raised from alumni, students and friends of SDSU.

The stadium opened Sept. 22, 1962, when the Jackrabbits lost a 9-7 decision to Arkansas State.

Mountain Panther
September 12th, 2007, 04:48 PM
The largest crowd ever to see a football game of any kind in South Dakota came through the turnstiles on Hobo Day, Oct. 19, 1985, when 16,193 fans saw SDSU defeat the University of South Dakota 24-12. USD was undefeated and ranked No. 1 in the nation (NCAA Division II) at the time.

I'd heard about Hobo Day before, but it always makes me laugh.

TheBisonator
September 12th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Coughlin-Alumni is not a small stadium, but don't be fooled, it is a very crappy stadium:

http://www.gojacks.com//pics25/1024/RI/RIZZJREQKKOPFLH.20070615194548.jpg

http://www.gojacks.com//pics8/1024/XV/XVNVEJXWDQWMUMU.20070615194543.jpg

Mountain Panther
September 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Coughlin-Alumni is not a small stadium, but don't be fooled, it is a very crappy stadium:

No track around the outside....works for me! xthumbsupx

I do like the evergreen trees just beyond the endzone.

Gil Dobie
September 12th, 2007, 05:24 PM

But their band rocks, notice the 500 member band in the home stands on the first pic. :)

TheBisonator
September 12th, 2007, 05:57 PM
No track around the outside....works for me! xthumbsupx

I do like the evergreen trees just beyond the endzone.

Yep, nothing like wooden bleachers, old trailers and porto-potties...xrolleyesx

JackTwice
September 12th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Yep, nothing like wooden bleachers, old trailers and porto-potties...xrolleyesx

Can't get the visiting fans too comfortable. :D

Without people in it, Coughlin looks pretty old and dilapidated but there is a great gameday atmosphere. I would bet on 15k at this one so the place should be fun.

As for the game, I expect SDSU to continue getting better and outplay UNI. Whether that turns into a W or not is yet to be seen.

FCS Go!
September 12th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Don't they actually own their stadium? They're not renting or anything, right?

crunifan
September 12th, 2007, 06:46 PM
We are the better team, we just have to play like it!
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/BrandoJac/sdsu.jpg

Mountain Panther
September 12th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Nice pic....hopefully we will see a lot of this....

http://www.panthermania.net/coppermine/albums/football/091606mp_uni_s_dakota_8.jpg

JackTwice
September 12th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Don't they actually own their stadium? They're not renting or anything, right?

We do own the stadium it is on campus. Years ago the high school paid to put in lighting so they play on the field for their 4 home games each year.

Rumor has it a new $10million athletic center will be breaking ground on the other side of the trees from the field. I am sure some stadium fixes will come with that also.

Crunifan...someone needs to teach your students to match their socks:)

Reed Rothchild
September 12th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Looks like EIU's stadium

SoDakState
September 12th, 2007, 09:13 PM
http://www.gojacks.com//share/ViewPhoto.dbml?ATCLID=&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=88457&SPID=7153&PALBID=11944&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=&DB_OEM_ID=15000&LOAD_IMAGE_ID=599899&LOAD_IMAGE_SIZE=400

I think it will be a game thats down to the wire. To close to predict

Peems
September 12th, 2007, 09:19 PM
UNI wins by 13.

Chi Panther
September 12th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Looks like EIU's stadium

Its been a long time since I was at the 2001 playoff game in Charleston.....but SDSU's stadium has to be bigger. Only smaller College stadiums i've been to are Coe and Lawrence.....

Go Cats! Hopefully our RBs will be 100%!!!!xthumbsupx

cowbellnation
September 12th, 2007, 10:43 PM
you have to think of your other FCS 16,000 seat stadiums, just smashed into one massive side, that's coughlin for ya. oh and state wins 23-17

89rabbit
September 12th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Here is another veiw of CAS.

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics5/400/TL/TLFOZGUYCLZYPEE.20070615194546.jpg

JackJD
September 12th, 2007, 10:55 PM
My predictions:
Pre-game: UNI fans think the 'backyard' tailgating is some of the best in FCS
Game score: SDSU 21, UNI 7
Post-game: UNI fans walk away, marveling at the Pride of the Dakotas band (not 500 but usually well over 200); marveling at the scoreboard -- remember Panther fans, Brookings is the home of Dakotronics, the maker of the best scoreboards in the world; and glad the Jackrabbits are joining the Gateway because everyone's stock in trade just went up.

SDSU 21, UNI 7

cowbellnation
September 12th, 2007, 11:10 PM
just heard from a pride member, 350 strong this season

lizrdgizrd
September 13th, 2007, 03:19 PM
If SDSU pulls out the win, we'll see a bunch of this:

http://www.uni.edu/its/is/images/its_is_babies2.jpg

Mountain Panther
September 13th, 2007, 04:07 PM
If SDSU pulls out the win, we'll see a bunch of this:

http://www.uni.edu/its/is/images/its_is_babies2.jpg

We start them early....one week after that pic was taken they were already in helmets and shoulder pads.

leatherneck177
September 13th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Northern Iowa 31
SDSU 17

I see it being a close game until halftime, but then the Panthers shut out the Rabbits in the second half to wrap up the victory.

Mountain Panther
September 13th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Northern Iowa 31
SDSU 17

I see it being a close game until halftime, but then the Panthers shut out the Rabbits in the second half to wrap up the victory.

Yep....if we continue the momentum from Iowa State I don't see us losing this game.

Pete's Weekly
September 13th, 2007, 06:40 PM
YSU put 17 points on SDSU in about 10-minutes. Poor defensive play-calling took YSU out of a 4-4.5/3 defense with no pressure after that. YSU went back to it in the 4th and had a 3 & out, then an INT in two straight SDSU drives. If UNI applies the pressure for 4 quarters, it will be a rout in their favor.

cowbellnation
September 13th, 2007, 07:21 PM
second half shut out leatherneck, i dont think so, we are the cardiac Jacks, we always make it interesting in the second half, oh and jacks win 23-17

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 13th, 2007, 07:50 PM
UNI wins...

by the way SDSU people (this is sort of off topic but I'm going to ask anyways), what is "Hobo day"? xconfusedx

Daved
September 13th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Totally agree with Pete's Weekly.This should be the year of the Panther if they play up to their capabilities.After their heartbreaking loss last year I was sure they were going to handle Iowa State ,and after seeing Iowa State get beat by Kent State(a team that couldn't compete in the Gateway)I had no doubt.SDSU will have to keep the hometown momentum for the entire game if they hope to pull off the upset.

Longnecker
September 13th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Hey: I just talked with a "Gateway Official" that worked the YSU v SDSU game. He said, "SDSU is right at the hump, they have good players but are not quite there yet." He went on to say, "UNI is no doubt the best team in GFC, however, YSU and ISU are NOT as good as SIU no matter the rankings - WIU should be ranked third behind NIU and SIU." I thought this was interesting (for what it is worth) and I am an simply passing on one guy's thoughts. Do you agree? Go 'Necks!

Mountain Panther
September 13th, 2007, 08:15 PM
WIU should be ranked third behind NIU and SIU

When did Northern Illinois join the Gateway? xconfusedx

skinny_uncle
September 13th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Hey: I just talked with a "Gateway Official" that worked the YSU v SDSU game. He said, "SDSU is right at the hump, they have good players but are not quite there yet." He went on to say, "UNI is no doubt the best team in GFC, however, YSU and ISU are NOT as good as SIU no matter the rankings - WIU should be ranked third behind NIU and SIU." I thought this was interesting (for what it is worth) and I am an simply passing on one guy's thoughts. Do you agree? Go 'Necks!
I would want to know how many of the teams the official has seen this year. Officials definitely get the best view of the game and often know more than the average fan (unbelievable, huh?). I think WIU is better this year than most of us expected, but it is too soon to know if they have improved enough to overtake YSU or Ill State.

crunifan
September 13th, 2007, 08:25 PM
When did Northern Illinois join the Gateway? xconfusedx

Maybe when SIU showed them they would fight to finish in the top half of the conference they decided it was time to take a step up to the Gateway?xlolx

skinny_uncle
September 13th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Maybe when SIU showed them they would fight to finish in the top half of the conference they decided it was time to take a step up to the Gateway?xlolx
It'll never happen. The Huskies don't want to play the Salukis every year.
:D

crunifan
September 13th, 2007, 08:29 PM
It'll never happen. The Huskies don't want to play the Salukis every year.
:D

And I wonder why not? xrotatehx

cowbellnation
September 13th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Hobo Days is SDSU's homecoming, a week to dress your dingiest and be proud of it. On the saturday of the game, it is the biggest one day event in SD, Brookings easily more than triples in size.

http://admin.xosn.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=898946

pantherfan
September 13th, 2007, 09:46 PM
My predictions:
Pre-game: UNI fans think the 'backyard' tailgating is some of the best in FCS
Game score: SDSU 21, UNI 7
Post-game: UNI fans walk away, marveling at the Pride of the Dakotas band (not 500 but usually well over 200); marveling at the scoreboard -- remember Panther fans, Brookings is the home of Dakotronics, the maker of the best scoreboards in the world; and glad the Jackrabbits are joining the Gateway because everyone's stock in trade just went up.

SDSU 21, UNI 7

This won't be a cakewalk for UNI, but there isn't a team on the schedule this fall that will hold this UNI team to 7 points in an entire game...

UNI 31- SDSU 20

Chi Panther
September 13th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Hobo Days is SDSU's homecoming, a week to dress your dingiest and be proud of it. On the saturday of the game, it is the biggest one day event in SD, Brookings easily more than triples in size.

http://admin.xosn.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=898946

I'm glad that UNI will not be in Brookings on Hobo Day......

unialum95
September 14th, 2007, 11:03 AM
This won't be a cakewalk for UNI, but there isn't a team on the schedule this fall that will hold this UNI team to 7 points in an entire game...

UNI 31- SDSU 20

Agreed. Thought I do hope the tailgating is as good as advertised. I am looking forward to it!

Gil Dobie
September 14th, 2007, 11:16 AM

UNI 31- SDSU 20

Except UNI with some unforced turnovers. ;)

Benne
September 14th, 2007, 11:23 AM
We are the better team, we just have to play like it!
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/BrandoJac/sdsu.jpg

That always worked out well for ol' Elmer, didn't it.

BearsCountry
September 14th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Didnt Northern Illinois apply to the MVC back when we added Evansville?

JoeNeck90
September 16th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Northern Iowa 31
SDSU 17

Nice prediction.