PDA

View Full Version : TSN "mid-major poll - Sept. 11

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2007, 03:24 PM
OK, enough is enough. There is no purpose for this poll, and it is terribly flawed. Its a joke and the NEC should pull all references from this poll now!

Team (First-place votes) Record
1. Drake Bulldogs (8) 2-0
2. San Diego Toreros (8) 2-0
3. Dayton Flyers 2-0
4. Albany Great Danes 1-1
5. Central Conn State Blue Devils 1-1
6. Robert Morris Colonials 1-1
7. Stony Brook Seawolves 2-0
8. Duquesne Dukes 0-1
9. Iona Gaels 2-0 36
10. Monmouth Hawks 0-2

Others receiving votes (in order of points): Sacred Heart 16, Davidson 14, Morehead State 10, Butler 7.

- First, congrats, to Drake! Seriously, its well deserved that they top San Diego. About time they get some respect by their peers.
- Why is SBU included? I thought they are a scholly team now? Furthermore, if you are going to rank them, they easily deserve to be #2 with two wins over PL teams!
- Dayton beat RMU and a sub-DI team. Albany beat Forham and played close to Colgate.
- Iona, is that someone else's idea of a joke?

This has become PFL propaganda. Its a joke!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Team (First-place votes) Record
1. Drake Bulldogs (8) 2-0
2. San Diego Toreros (8) 2-0
3. Dayton Flyers 2-0
4. Albany Great Danes 1-1
5. Central Conn State Blue Devils 1-1
6. Robert Morris Colonials 1-1
7. Stony Brook Seawolves 2-0
8. Duquesne Dukes 0-1
9. Iona Gaels 2-0 36
10. Monmouth Hawks 0-2

Others receiving votes (in order of points): Sacred Heart 16, Davidson 14, Morehead State 10, Butler 7.

- Iona, is that someone else's idea of a joke?

This has become PFL propaganda. Its a joke!

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but perhaps Iona and the PFL occupy the first three spots of the poll since all four teams are undefeated?

I agree that Stony Brook should not be on there.

gmoney55
September 11th, 2007, 03:30 PM
You can't have Stony Brook in this poll

UAalum72
September 11th, 2007, 03:33 PM
You can't have Stony Brook in this poll
Yeah, SBU improved so much from last year they're in Pete's Poll now!

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but perhaps Iona and the PFL occupy the first three spots of the poll since all four teams are undefeated?

I agree that Stony Brook should not be on there.

So how come SBU (2-0) is down at #7?

Drake, USD, and Dayton each have a sub-DI win. Stony Brook has two solid wins over PL teams. If SBU is in the poll (which they are), they can't fall below those weak PFL wins and 1-loss NEC teams. Its just a clear bias!

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Here's the poll with records vs. D-I opponents!

1. Drake (1-0)
2. San Diego (1-0)
3. Dayton (1-0)
4. Albany (1-1)
5. Central Conn State (0-1)
6. Robert Morris (1-1)
7. Stony Brook (2-0)
8. Duquesne Dukes (0-1)
9. Iona Gaels (1-0)
10. Monmouth (0-2)

Go...gate
September 11th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Stony Brook has, or is going to, 63 scholarships for football - they should not be in this poll anymore.

appfan2008
September 11th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Let the San Diego belongs in the playoffs talk begin again:(

USDFAN_55
September 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Just sounds like a bunch of bitter NEC fans to me. This is just another poll. You don't get anything for being ranked higher than some other team; maybe bragging rights (if you even want to brag about this poll). Congrats to Drake for finally taking the top spot from San Diego. I hope you guys are as good as you appear to be so far this year. October 13th is shaping up to be a really good game in San Diego!

NE MT GRIZZ
September 11th, 2007, 04:51 PM
On September 22nd we have the #4 Albany Great Danes at #2 Montana Grizzlies!:D :D

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2007, 04:55 PM
On September 22nd we have the #4 Albany Great Danes at #2 Montana Grizzlies!:D :D

The toughest opponent they will have played all year! :p

AggieFinn
September 11th, 2007, 05:13 PM
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx Good for Drake.

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics27/400/JW/JWQWOSKSXWUXKFV.20070910190559.jpg

DetroitFlyer
September 11th, 2007, 05:49 PM
PFL Rules Baby!!! I wonder who the other 13 teams in the playoffs will be this year...?

For the record, IMHO, there is no "Mid-Major" there is only FCS.

Even so, this poll is great for clearly demonstrating the vast superiority of the PFL over the NEC.... Perhaps the NEC should concede the Gridiron Classic now.... Of course, it looks like the NEC champ will be playing the fourth place PFL team since the first three in the PFL will be in the playoffs....

Please TSN, kill this poll. As much fun as it is to rib the NEC fans, this poll needs to go....

DetroitFlyer
September 12th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Let’s think outside the box for a moment shall we? This poll, as it is structured currently, is 100% obsolete! “Full scholarship” Stony Brook, come on…. Here is how I could see a “Mid-Major” poll looking that would actually have some relevance in the world of FCS in 2007:

1. Yale
2. Lafayette
3. Princeton
4. Drake
5. USD
6. Holy Cross
7. Harvard
8. Colgate
9. Dayton
10. Albany

If TSN wishes to continue this poll, rank the teams of the Ivy League, Patriot League, PFL, NEC and MAAC in the poll.

Oh believe me; I can already hear the howls from the PL and IL…. How dare anyone refer to them as “Mid-Major”…. The truth in 2007, however, is that the Ivy League, the Patriot League, PFL, NEC and MAAC are “different” from the rest of FCS in a similar manner, ( all of these leagues do not grant a straight up 63 athletic scholarships ).

Frankly, this type of poll would actually be interesting and mean a whole lot more than the current set-up!

Let’s hear your thoughts AGS!

USDFAN_55
September 12th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Great idea, but like you said, there would be way too much complaining from the PL and IL. No way would they ever consider themselves equal to a PFL/NEC/MAAC team. This does raise an interesting question though. If the "mid-major" poll is for non-scholarship football, why isn't the Ivies included? Last time I checked they don't give any scholarships.

Let’s think outside the box for a moment shall we? This poll, as it is structured currently, is 100% obsolete! “Full scholarship” Stony Brook, come on…. Here is how I could see a “Mid-Major” poll looking that would actually have some relevance in the world of FCS in 2007:

1. Yale
2. Lafayette
3. Princeton
4. Drake
5. USD
6. Holy Cross
7. Harvard
8. Colgate
9. Dayton
10. Albany

If TSN wishes to continue this poll, rank the teams of the Ivy League, Patriot League, PFL, NEC and MAAC in the poll.

Oh believe me; I can already hear the howls from the PL and IL…. How dare anyone refer to them as “Mid-Major”…. The truth in 2007, however, is that the Ivy League, the Patriot League, PFL, NEC and MAAC are “different” from the rest of FCS in a similar manner, ( all of these leagues do not grant a straight up 63 athletic scholarships ).

Frankly, this type of poll would actually be interesting and mean a whole lot more than the current set-up!

Let’s hear your thoughts AGS!

laythehammer60
September 12th, 2007, 07:30 PM
And why does the NEC even still belong. They offer 35 scollies...

danefan
September 13th, 2007, 09:04 AM
And why does the NEC even still belong. They offer 35 scollies...

They don't belong. But they need to remove themselves from consideration if they don't want in. NEC will have trouble with Wagner, St. Francis and Sacred Heart. Those teams have no real shot at awards and rankings other than Mid Major. That is their choice by the way. They could carry 35 rides and come up with an Albany-type schedule...but they don't.

Seawolf97
September 13th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Albany doesnt belong and I know Stonybrook doesnt for sure. Stonybrook is at 45 scholarships and Albany will go there soon. Add to that the schedules we both play- ranked elite teams . Im sure both teams would love to play Iona and Duquesne instead of Montana and Youngstown
but it would hurt both our programs in the long term.xthumbsupx

henfan
September 13th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I've not cast a TSN vote for SBU because they are not members of the PFL, MAAC or NEC, nor do they fit the profile of the 'mid-major' teams. I'm not sure why they are permitted to accumulate votes. Perhaps someone should contact Coulson for an answer.

It strikes me as odd that some would complain about SBU garnering votes in the TSN Mid-Major Top 10. Generally, these would be the same people who would support the 'mids' being eligible for both the Mid-Major and FCS Top 25 Polls.xrotatehx