PDA

View Full Version : FACEOFF: S.C. State-South Carolina, good idea or bad football?

bosshogg
September 11th, 2007, 08:36 AM
http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/sep/11/this_big_deal_bulldogs15512/

FACEOFF: S.C. State-South Carolina, good idea or bad football?
By Ken Burger (Contact), Gene Sapakoff (Contact)
The Post and Courier
Tuesday, September 11, 2007

This is a big deal for Bulldogs

Gamecocks fans may see this weekend's game against S.C. State as a gimme on their schedule, but to the Bulldog Nation it is a very big deal.

Although both state-supported schools have been playing football for a century or more, they have never played each other.

Hard to believe? Unless you grew up in the Palmetto State during the bad old days of segregation, you probably don't understand how wide that 40-mile chasm between Columbia and Orangeburg really is.

This game won't make up for the inequities that existed between the cultures and the campuses, but it will go a long way toward bringing these two programs closer together................

GoldandBlack
September 11th, 2007, 08:45 AM
This is great for football in the Palmetto State- and about damn time! Kudos to Steve Spurrier for his policy of playing in-state teams.

Wofford has always had great games with the Bulldogs- I wish the game was a regular on our schedule. xthumbsupx

BlueHen86
September 11th, 2007, 08:50 AM
I think SC State might keep this close, at least for a while. They are catching South Carolina in between road games at Georgia and LSU.
SC may not be as focused on this game as thet should be.

In the end I think SC has too much talent and will win going away.

I'm a Delaware alum, so it is not hard to believe that SC and SC St. have never played.

To answer your question; it's a good idea. Might have been better for SC St. if this game were scheduled before Spurrier got to SC.

jstate83
September 11th, 2007, 08:55 AM
I think the stupidest thing state school's can do is NOT PLAY EACH OTHER.
It WIN/WIN for everybody. xnodx

Trust me.:D

The SEC school's here would rather eat their own waste than play USM, JSU, ALCORN, or VALLEY. xsmhx

Eyes of Old Main
September 11th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I'm glad to see the game happen too. But, even harder to believe than the fact that this is the first meeting between SC State and South Carolina is that SC State's earlier game with Air Force was their first ever FBS game. I'm not sure whether that has been their choice, but it is kind of odd.

MACHIAVELLI
September 11th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Spurrier special guest on the Buddy Show (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SAF6Lq1w_I)

lizrdgizrd
September 11th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Glad to see SCState getting a shot at SC. Let's go bulldogs!!!

Panther88
September 11th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Spurrier will rang up 1,000,000 points to prove a point. :)

Good luck SCSU.

OL FU
September 11th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Hopefully they will be a little flat after beating the lesser dogs and SC State will be exceedingly sharp looking to have a little chicken for dinnerxthumbsupx

bosshogg
September 11th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Hopefully they will be a little flat after beating the lesser dogs and SC State will be exceedingly sharp looking to have a little chicken for dinnerxthumbsupx

good luck against Clemson this weekend!

By the way, if you want to chat live with Bulldog and Gamecock fans during the game, click here on saturday during the game!

http://www.scstatedoghouse.proboards100.com/index.cgi?action=chat

89Hen
September 11th, 2007, 12:07 PM
It WIN/WIN for everybody. xnodx
How so?

89Hen
September 11th, 2007, 12:08 PM
BTW, I'm glad SCSt is getting the chance, I'm just asking how this is a WIN for USC.

jstate83
September 11th, 2007, 12:19 PM
How so?

In state school's playing each other harms that area how.xconfusedx

I know USC don't need SCSU to fill thier stadium, but why go all the way to Maine for a FCS school when you got one basically in your back yard.

jstate83
September 11th, 2007, 12:25 PM
BTW, I'm glad SCSt is getting the chance, I'm just asking how this is a WIN for USC.

So you implying if USC is gonna play an FCS school, it's best to pay to bring in some school that nobody in that region has heard of from other side of the U.S. than pick up the phone and call SCSU?

It's about promoting every school in that area to those Highschool kids in that state.

Hell...............It ain't about a win for USC.
USC can play YOUR SCHOOL HEN and not get anything out of it.

Why do ya'll try and make mountains out of simple comment's.
I sware some of ya'll just like to type trying to start argument's.

We know USC got MILLIONS, MORE TALENT, and can bring in ANYONE THEY WANT..............Good lawd. xlolx
It can't be that hard to figure out why IN STATE school's, playing each other over time is a GOOD THING.

89Hen
September 11th, 2007, 12:25 PM
In state school's playing each other harms that area how.xconfusedx

I know USC don't need SCSU to fill thier stadium, but why go all the way to Maine for a FCS school when you got one basically in your back yard.
I didn't ask about no harm, I asked how it is a win?

89Hen
September 11th, 2007, 12:27 PM
USCHell...............It ain't about a win for USC
Thank your for proving my point. xcoffeex

lizrdgizrd
September 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I didn't ask about no harm, I asked how it is a win?
They get their W and some playing time for the 2nd & 3rd stringers. (unless SCSU puts a hurtin' on them xsmiley_wix )

jstate83
September 11th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Thank your for proving my point. xcoffeex

Man...................Do me a favor.
Don't quote me anymore.

You just here to annoy anytime anyone is here discussing something.
The only point you prove over and over is that you don't ever need to be an A.D for no University.

I knew I was wasting my time with you in the first place.
I proved your point.........Good..............Move on. xthumbsupx
Don't forget to get your pat on the back on the way to other posters.

89Hen
September 11th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Man...................Do me a favor.
Don't quote me anymore.
Or what, you'll get the South Carolina State Legislature to order me to?

jstate83
September 11th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Or what, you'll get the South Carolina State Legislature to order me to?

Nope.
Just wanna see how you was raised.
Either be civil or an annoying arse-hole.
I see you was raised as the 2nd option.
Dude sound like a kid on the playground with that post. xlolx

Don't matter to me, just trying to make your day by asking you not to quote me since you know so much.xnodx
Don't even waste your time quoting me in that case.xthumbsupx

It's so easy a 2 year old can understand.xlolx
But then again, a-holes never understand.
You on the attendance thread going after any BLACK/HBCU post with the same annoying mentality.xnodx

89Hen
September 11th, 2007, 12:43 PM
You on the attendance thread going after any post black with the same annoying mentality.
xlolx xlolx xlolx xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

HIU 93
September 11th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I'm just asking how this is a WIN for USC.

PR- Now they can't be accused of prejudice for playing all the othe SC FCS teams except the lone HBCU amongst that group. USC has had a long history of racial problems, and still does today, and this can be a PR victory for them.

But, that's right, those problems don't exist anymore. I'm just a bigot.xrolleyesx xwhistlex

89Hen
September 11th, 2007, 01:05 PM
PR- Now they can't be accused of prejudice for playing all the othe SC FCS teams except the lone HBCU amongst that group. USC has had a long history of racial problems, and still does today, and this can be a PR victory for them.
But is it? To most people it looks like the State Legislature forced them to play SCSt.... had they done this on their own volition, it would have been good PR for them. Am I remembering this wrong?

HIU 93
September 11th, 2007, 01:20 PM
But is it? To most people it looks like the State Legislature forced them to play SCSt.... had they done this on their own volition, it would have been good PR for them. Am I remembering this wrong?

As far as I know, Spurrier and Pough scheduled this game.

OL FU
September 11th, 2007, 01:21 PM

I believe there were threats of legislative action but I don't recall it getting anywhere.

And I think SC has now scheduled all of usxnodx except Charleston Southern and Coastal Carolina.

dungeonjoe
September 11th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I believe there were threats of legislative action but I don't recall it getting anywhere.

And I think SC has now scheduled all of usxnodx except Charleston Southern and Coastal Carolina.
Citdog is proposing that all SC teams secede from the NCAA and form their own league, this ensuring that all of us play SC and Clemson!

GoldandBlack
September 11th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Citdog is proposing that all SC teams secede from the NCAA and form their own league, this ensuring that all of us play SC and Clemson!

That's General States Rights Citdog to the rest of us.xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

EPJr
September 11th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I think SC State might keep this close, at least for a while. They are catching South Carolina in between road games at Georgia and LSU.
SC may not be as focused on this game as thet should be.

In the end I think SC has too much talent and will win going away.

I'm a Delaware alum, so it is not hard to believe that SC and SC St. have never played.

To answer your question; it's a good idea. Might have been better for SC St. if this game were scheduled before Spurrier got to SC.

sooo....that means you are in favor of playing Delaware State? xrolleyesx

citdog
September 11th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I'm just a bigot.xrolleyesx xwhistlex

you can say that again!

citdog
September 11th, 2007, 03:55 PM
That's General States Rights Citdog to the rest of us.xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

glad to see that y'all are learning! good look to the "little dogs" from O'Burg as they travel up 26 to take a bite out of the Shamecocks!

citdog
September 11th, 2007, 03:56 PM

the CAA! whoops that one is already taken!xlolx xrotatehx :D

catdaddy2402
September 12th, 2007, 11:58 PM
To most people it looks like the State Legislature forced them to play SCSt.... had they done this on their own volition, it would have been good PR for them.

For the record the legislature did not force South Carolina or Clemson to play anybody in state. A couple of representatives mentioned that it would make more sense for South Carolina and Clemson to keep the money in state rather than pay an out of state team for a game. When the 12th game was added to the FBS schedule it opened up game opportunities for both the FBS teams, and they have jumped at the opportunity. Clemson and SC State meet up in a few years as well. As was mentioned above, SC State hasn't scheduled games vs FBS teams before this year...so it appears that the blame for the teams never meeting can't be placed solely on South Carolina (or Clemson for that matter) Both Clemson and South Carolina have played SC State in other sports (I know the Gamecocks and Bulldogs have met up on the hardwood on a regular basis) so I would imagine that it was simply a case where up until this year there wasn't a lot of desire for a meeting on either side of the game.

Clemson and South Carolina both have done a decent enough job of playing regional FCS teams since the split, with East Tennesse St (both teams) and Chattanooga (Clemson) being the furthest away they have gone for a game. It's not like they have scheduled a Prairie View A&M or Cal-Poly while ignoring SC State, or one of the other instate schools.

As for Chuck South and Coastal...time will tell. I know Clemson and Coastal have talked about a game in the next 10 years. Now that Chuck South has enough schollies to count towards bowl eligibility I would imagine they'll get their turn in the future. South Carolina vs Coastal may be a different story, as mentioned before on various threads the creation of Coastal Carolina by leaving the South Carolina system has left some hard feelings and South Carolina as a rule doesn't play Coastal Carolina much in any sport.

I know as a Clemson fan I would rather see us play a game against Furman, Wofford, SC State, etc against a regional foe than to pull someone in like Delaware or North Dakota State (no offense to the Hens or Bison) simply because of the familiarity aspect.

appfan2008
September 13th, 2007, 08:06 AM
i would definately say this is a good idea... it may be bad football as well but overall for the state as a whole it is a good idea for sure

TheValleyRaider
September 13th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Definately good for SC State, gets their name out, gives them a shot at the bigtime. Also is good PR for the Gamecocks, keeping money local, getting local showdowns. Anytime you play down a division (or subdivision), you run the risk of losing, and therefore losing prestige. Unless SC loses this game more than once every 15 years (and that would be while playing every year, which these two won't), their recruiting in-state won't be hurt by this, I would think.

HIU 93
September 13th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Funny thing about the 'Cocks.

Old Ball Coach's new motto for recruits:

"Dude youre getting a Dell"

MarkCCU
September 13th, 2007, 12:22 PM
USC likes to keep money in the state, unlike Clemson. THis is a good idea.

lizrdgizrd
September 13th, 2007, 12:24 PM
USC likes to keep money in the state, unlike Clemson. THis is a good idea.
I thought Clemson was playing Furman. xconfusedx