PDA

View Full Version : What is the deciding factor?

Retro
September 10th, 2007, 04:17 PM
All other things being equal, Facilities, Locale, etc...

What do you think is the deciding factor for a recruit to choose an FCS (Playoff Division) team over a non BCS FBS (Bowl Division) team or even some BCS FBS teams?

putter
September 10th, 2007, 04:19 PM

What do you think is the deciding factor for a recruit to choose an FCS (Playoff Division) team over a non BCS FBS (Bowl Division) team?

Playing time. I know Montana got a few kids who had FBS offers because they had the opportunity to play right away.

89Hen
September 10th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Where's the 'all of the above' choice? xnodx

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2007, 04:33 PM
You missed one of the biggest ones: playing closer to home so that friends/family can see you play. Personally I think that is one of the largest factors in transferring. Look at CCSU's Justise Hairston last year as a great example.

89Hen
September 10th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Personally I think that is one of the largest factors in transferring. Look at CCSU's Justise Hairston last year as a great example.
I was thinking about transfers at first too, but I think Retro was asking about recruits, as in HS. xpeacex

I really don't think there's one answer for everyone. An example of a transfer is that Shawn Johnson came to Delaware from Duke because he wanted to play for something and play for a potentially good team... he was a starter at Duke, he was finished school, he wasn't coming closer to home... He was simply tired of losing. :( :D for us

McNeese_beat
September 10th, 2007, 08:38 PM

What do you think is the deciding factor for a recruit to choose an FCS (Playoff Division) team over a non BCS FBS (Bowl Division) team or even some BCS FBS teams?

I'd add "because the FBS schools didn't recruit them." I think that's a relevant answer to some programs on here where they are in isolated enough areas that they don't have to recruit their in-state kids vs. IAs (Montana, Dakota schools, maybe some of the northeastern schools).

JALMOND
September 10th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I heard Speedy Claxton say once, shortly after he was drafted into the NBA from Hofstra "It doesn't really matter where you play. If you're good enough, the scouts will find you."

That said, I chose the ability to come in and play right away. You won't draw the attention of the NFL scouts by redshirting, even at a bigger school.

appfan2008
September 10th, 2007, 10:30 PM
i voted for the play sooner bc i believe that to be the case

SU Jag
September 10th, 2007, 10:37 PM
All the above. Certain guys have certain reasons.

AZGrizFan
September 10th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I was thinking about transfers at first too, but I think Retro was asking about recruits, as in HS. xpeacex

I really don't think there's one answer for everyone. An example of a transfer is that Shawn Johnson came to Delaware from Duke because he wanted to play for something and play for a potentially good team... he was a starter at Duke, he was finished school, he wasn't coming closer to home... He was simply tired of losing. :( :D for us

and he chose DELAWARE??? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

;)

DUPFLFan
September 11th, 2007, 08:22 AM
For my son (Drake Non-scholarship) it came down to education. He wanted a better education than he (and we) felt he could get from the FBS and FCS-Scholly schools who recruited him. So I paid for his education instead of getting a full ride.

AndrewFU21
September 11th, 2007, 09:46 AM
There are very few schools that offer excellent academics, a personal, small school environment, and Division I football. And even fewer have the tradition of success on the field that FU has.

ncbears
September 11th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Winning tradition! That's why blue-chips should come to NC!

lizrdgizrd
September 11th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Winning tradition! That's why blue-chips should come to NC!
What, so they can start a winning tradition? xconfusedx

I know, smack board -->

lizrdgizrd
September 11th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I think it really depends on the kid. Lots of good reasons to go to an FCS over FBS.