18. Illinois St.
19. Yale
20. Montana St.
21. Cal Poly
22. Towson
23. Hofstra
24. Delaware St.
25. Lafayette
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Drake (56), Missouri St. (43), Tennessee-Martin (30), The Citadel (26), UC Davis (26), Western Illinois (26), Portland St. (22), Northwestern St. (20), Richmond (15), Villanova (15), Georgia Southern (13), Princeton (13), Lehigh (12), Liberty (11), Northern Arizona (11), Harvard (10), Alabama A&M (9), South Carolina St. (9), Eastern Kentucky (8), San Diego (7), South Dakota St. (7), Texas St. (6), William & Mary (6), Alabama St. (5), Southern (5)

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Northern Iowa
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Furman

GannonFan
September 10th, 2007, 12:43 PM
116 voters - not too shabby.

bluehenbillk
September 10th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Furman only drops to 14 after getting beat soundly by a lower-division CAA team? Consider yourselves fortunate, I had you at 25.

AGSPoll
September 10th, 2007, 12:46 PM
That is a record number of voters for AGS! Thanks to all who participated. xthumbsupx xbowx xthumbsupx

CatFan22
September 10th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Suppose I'll post it here too:

Portland St. (22)

xlolx

OL FU
September 10th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Furman only drops to 14 after getting beat soundly by a lower-division CAA team? Consider yourselves fortunate, I had you at 25.

Actually after that beating I would have preferred we dropped lower. There is plenty of time to get back in the poll if we deserve it.

I had us out.xnodx

GannonFan
September 10th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Actually after that beating I would have preferred we dropped lower. There is plenty of time to get back in the poll if we deserve it.

I had us out.xnodx

I think more highly of Hofstra, actually, so I still had you guys in (and Hofstra too!).

bandl
September 10th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Which explains some of the homer votes (for school and conference)...xsmhx

Citadel?
Georgia Southern?
Liberty?
William & Mary???????

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

OL FU
September 10th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I think more highly of Hofstra, actually, so I still had you guys in (and Hofstra too!).

and it is not that I don't it is just a little difficult with a team that went 2-9 last yearxnodx

Oh I forgot they are in the CAAxsmiley_wix

DUPFLFan
September 10th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Just what I figured would happen.

Illinois State wins and moves from 23 to 18.

Drake's win is forgotten..

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 10th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I would make GSU win one more game before giving them any votes.

And I'm kind of surprised that no one gave any votes for Elon or The Citadel.

Also, congrats to UNI. I would have voted them #2.

[EDIT] Never mind, I see The Citadel got some votes.

89Hen
September 10th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Which explains some of the homer votes (for school and conference)...xsmhx

Citadel?
Georgia Southern?
Liberty?
William & Mary???????

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx
Unless there are a lot of voters who don't post here, there's no way El Cid, LU or W&M get enough votes from just their own fans.

GannonFan
September 10th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Do we ever get to see the total votes for every team (i.e. not just the receiving votes but the top 25)?

89Hen
September 10th, 2007, 12:57 PM
By some. 56 of the 116 voters had them in their ballot, I think that's actually more than last week.

AGSPoll
September 10th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Do we ever get to see the total votes for every team (i.e. not just the receiving votes but the top 25)?
The software doesn't give that, only the number of first place votes. Sorry.

GannonFan
September 10th, 2007, 01:00 PM
The software doesn't give that, only the number of first place votes. Sorry.

Any chance to change that in the future? Sometimes a good measure to see how close a team is to getting into the top 25 as well as seeing how close teams are who are ranked next to each other - I think the Sports Network poll shows this currently.

ChickenMan
September 10th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Oh I forgot they are in the CAAxsmiley_wix

Shame on you... and next year you'll get another reminder... :p

bandl
September 10th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Unless there are a lot of voters who don't post here, there's no way El Cid, LU or W&M get enough votes from just their own fans.

"homer votes (for school and conference)..."

GaSouthern
September 10th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Citadel is not a bad team, they deserve it, I dunno about GSU yet, we have a long way to go, I wont vote for my own team unless we kill coastal or go 3-0 to start the season at least. I think we have HUGE potential but have not proven our worth yet.

OL FU
September 10th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Shame on you... and next year you'll get another reminder... :p

I was giving you guys some kudosxeyebrowx

And I am looking forward to it. not so much 2009:p

GannonFan
September 10th, 2007, 01:03 PM

One voter and CAA fan here and I can say unequivocably that I didn't vote for W&M. xthumbsupx

UNHWildCats
September 10th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I had Citadel in my poll and im certainly not a Citadel homer. I also had Drake 1 spot higher then ISU.

Furman dropped to 16 in my poll.

I too had UNI #2

BDKJMU
September 10th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Wow, 6 CAA teams in! 1/2 the conference, plus 3 more receiving votes Quick scan show no other conference with more than 4 (Gateway). SoCon and Big Sky with 3. All other conferences represented in the rankings have 1 or 2. CAA looks like the strongest conference this yr. Like I predicted preseason, CAA gets 4 teams in the playoffs like 04'.

BearsCountry
September 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Wow, 6 CAA teams in! 1/2 the conference, plus 3 more receiving votes Quick scan show no other conference with more than 4 (Gateway). SoCon and Big Sky with 3. All other conferences represented in the rankings have 1 or 2. CAA looks like the strongest conference this yr. Like I predicted preseason, CAA gets 4 teams in the playoffs like 04'.

Gateway has a higher percentage than CAA. Not to mention that it also has 6 of its the 7 teams in the top 30.

texcap
September 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM

But the Gateway has more than 50% of their conference in (4 of 7). If you count the incoming members (NDSU and SDSU) they have 5 of 8. Plus they have 1/2 of the FCS vs, FBS wins. That looks like a pretty good conference to me

ChickenMan
September 10th, 2007, 01:18 PM
One voter and CAA fan here and I can say unequivocably that I didn't vote for W&M. xthumbsupx

I really don't know what W&M has yet.. no doubt they do have a Top 20 offense and their defense may not be nearly as weak as some thought after UD put up 49 on them. However UD game may not be a fair gage.. as I expect the Hens may put 40+ on a few more CAA teams before this year is over.

mcveyrl
September 10th, 2007, 01:21 PM

I voted for both Citadel and Drake...

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I don't really know how far Furman should have dropped. Furman, may not be a top five team, but they are certainly a very good football club. It might just turn out that Hofstra is just a lot better than everyone originally thought.

bandl
September 10th, 2007, 01:23 PM

I'm not saying ALL votes were homer votes, I'm just saying that there are more votes than usual for suspect teams, IMO because we have more voters, and thus more homer voters, than before. Sheesh. xpeacex

AGSPoll
September 10th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Any chance to change that in the future? Sometimes a good measure to see how close a team is to getting into the top 25 as well as seeing how close teams are who are ranked next to each other - I think the Sports Network poll shows this currently.
It's a little different. The Sports Network poll shows point totals for everyone. The AGS Top 25 is determined by points, after that the number represents the number of people who voted for the team. The reason we did this was to keep one or two ballots from giving one team a big jump. Imagine two voters put Savannah State in at #10... that would give them 30 points and put them ahead of a team that 29 people had at #25. That example is obviously pretty severe, but hopefully demonstrates the Poll Committee's thinking. :)

EmeryZach
September 10th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I would say the UMass drop to #5 is fair.

89Hen
September 10th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Make that two. Maybe we should count off. ;)

Cocky
September 10th, 2007, 01:26 PM
What about Cal-Poly at 21? They are 0-2 and lost to Texas State that lost to a D-II school. Plus, TX State is way below them?

patssle
September 10th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Why is Montana ahead of UNI who both have beaten a D2 school...but UNI went on the road and beat a Big 12 school while Montana beat a cupcake FCS at home.

bandl
September 10th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Make that three. Who are those six voters?? xrolleyesx

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 10th, 2007, 01:29 PM

The Socon could very well have 6 in after week four if The Citadel, Elon, Wofford, Georgia Southern, and Appalachian State stay on their trajectories and Furman gets better soon.

Cocky
September 10th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I voted for W&M and I'm not a conference or school homer. I may end up being wrong in a few weeks but I will change my vote. But I do see votes that appear to be homer or "I will not accept my preseason predictions were wrong" votes

blukeys
September 10th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Why is Montana ahead of UNI who both have beaten a D2 school...but UNI went on the road and beat a Big 12 school while Montana beat a cupcake FCS at home.

Isn't it obvious? Big Sky homerism.xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

blukeys
September 10th, 2007, 01:35 PM

I did not vote for William and Mary, Drake, or Illinois State.

OL FU
September 10th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I don't really know how far Furman should have dropped. Furman, may not be a top five team, but they are certainly a very good football club. It might just turn out that Hofstra is just a lot better than everyone originally thought.

Well I probably should back up a little. I think Furman has the talent to be a very very good football team. The thing we have to be worried about is that everyone knows we are loaded in the backfield. And everyone (with any sense) is going to load up the front and dare us to pass. It doesn't matter what the caliber of your offensive backfield is if you are running against 8 or 9 in the box you are probably not going to be successful. If we don't come up with a game plan to successfully pass and therefore loosen up the defenses, we are in for trouble. Do I think we can do it? Absolutely. But if you base your poll on what has happened as opposed to what may happen it is very difficult to rate us very high. The liklihood is that we are 1-2 going into the fifth week of the season.

Bobcat in NC
September 10th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I had Drake in (@24), Furman dropping to 13 (I guess I give Hofstra too much credit). The only bit of conference homerism I may have showed was NAU @ 22. Nice job putting 24 up against a Pac10 school, even if it was UA.

blukeys
September 10th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I would say the UMass drop to #5 is fair.

I saw no reason to drop Umass. They went on the road and beat a team that traditionally has given them problems in a place that it is difficult to win.

grizband
September 10th, 2007, 01:41 PM
My reason for keeping Montana there was simply (maybe too simple) that they didn't lose. I left my top 6 intact, because none of them lost, although if UNI has another convincing win, they will shoot up my poll. In my opinion, the first 3 or 4 polls are used to feel teams out, and will change very much before the end of this season.

OL FU
September 10th, 2007, 01:41 PM
My reason for keeping Montana there was simply (maybe too simple) that they didn't lose. I left my top 6 intact, because none of them lost, although if UNI has another convincing win, they will shoot up my poll. In my opinion, the first 3 or 4 polls are used to feel teams out, and will change very much before the end of this season.

I did the samexnodx

Bobcat in NC
September 10th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Looking at my differences with the overall poll, I had Yale (my 27th), Cal Poly (my 29th) and Hofstra (my 26th) out and Missouri St., NAU and Drake in. Other than that, my only significant (more than 3-4 spots) difference was I had Hampton @ 19.

WMTribe90
September 10th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I'd drop Cal Poly from the top 25. Looks like their living off past performance at this point after two games. Otherwise, I wouldn't make any drastic changes. I'm not sold on Towson, but they are 2-0 at this point, so the ranking is about right IMO. Top 5 look good to me.

GannonFan
September 10th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I'd drop Cal Poly from the top 25. Looks like their living off past performance at this point after two games. Otherwise, I wouldn't make any drastic changes. I'm not sold on Towson, but they are 2-0 at this point, so the ranking is about right IMO. Top 5 look good to me.

Agreed, at 0-2 it's hard to imagine why Cal Poly is in there in enough polls. They lost to Texas St, which just looks worse after the big loss that Texas St had last week to a DII school. And then they lose to Idaho, granted, an FBS team, but one that routinely loses to FCS teams.

Ivytalk
September 10th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Yale does not play -- again -- and goes up a notch in the rankings -- again! xrotatehx

HiHiYikas
September 10th, 2007, 01:51 PM
My 1-17 are the same teams, with a few slight differences in order. I should have given UNI more than a 5th place vote.

I had trouble with 18-25 - there are a lot of teams that could have cracked the top 25. I don't have Poly ranked. I do have Drake at 25.

Yale does not play -- again -- and goes up a notch in the rankings -- again! xrotatehx
I had them at 24 for that reason.

citdog
September 10th, 2007, 01:53 PM
there is so much wrong with 18-25 i have to calm down before posting

Ronbo
September 10th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Because the two question marks coming into the season have been answered. Hilliard is tearing it up and is 100% back and Cole Bergquist has been named player of the game both weeks. He is completing 80% of his passes at 25-32, 3 TD's, no picks. He has a 185 QB rating.

19 starters back from a 12-2 team, both question marks answered. Where do you want them? #12, #15, how about out of the top 25? Why don't you vote your opinion and STFU otherwise.

ChickenMan
September 10th, 2007, 01:55 PM

At that rate.. if they cancel the season.. they will finish in the Top 10... :p

terrierbob
September 10th, 2007, 02:00 PM
A win over a lower-tier Big South and an NAIA team shouldn't vault Wofford to 10th, in my opinion. It makes me very nervous. I'd say we should be tied with or a couple of places below FU. We haven't played a conference game yet, and whatever happens against NCSU, it will not be predictive of success in the SOCON.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I had Drake in my Top 25, as well as The Citadel. Also had Lafayette in mine, and somehow I wish all three could have made it, especially Drake who "only" beat a Top 25 team that all of a sudden doesn't look so bad.

Question for all. Do any of you have problems voting for teams with losses in the poll? I couldn't bring myself to voting for Montana State who is 0-1, yet there they are again in the poll. I just don't think Montana State should be in there who have proven nothing yet, and Drake sits outside when they've played a challenging opponent and beaten them.

Mountain Panther
September 10th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Because the two question marks coming into the season have been answered. Hilliard is tearing it up and is 100% back and Cole Bergquist has been named player of the game both weeks. He is completing 80% of his passes at 25-32, 3 TD's, no picks. He has a 185 QB rating.

19 starters back from a 12-2 team, both question marks answered. Where do you want them? #12, #15, how about out of the top 25? Why don't you vote your opinion and STFU otherwise.

I say leave Montana where they are for now. xthumbsupx

89Hen
September 10th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Question for all. Do any of you have problems voting for teams with losses in the poll? I couldn't bring myself to voting for Montana State who is 0-1, yet there they are again in the poll. I just don't think Montana State should be in there who have proven nothing yet, and Drake sits outside when they've played a challenging opponent and beaten them.
Too early to worry about one loss or who hasn't played yet. I wouldn't move an 0-1 INTO my poll, but I don't have a problem leaving them in my poll... especially with it being a I-AA loss.

89Hen
September 10th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Why don't you vote your opinion and STFU otherwise.
Ronbo, winning voters over one at a time. xthumbsupx xrolleyesx

Ronbo
September 10th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I'm sick of you people talking about our cupcakes when you are all playing cupcakes too. We have played the 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers more than the 1st teamers in our games. I guess we should leave the 1st teamers and win 85-0. We've played 4 QB's, 7 RB's, 12 WR's, 3 TE's in both games. The 2nd and 3rd team defense have got more time than the 1st team. Result, zero injuries and tons of experience and depth 3 deep. See you all in November and December when the games really count.

Fresno St. Alum
September 10th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I don't understand why SHSU keeps moving up. 2 wins over D-II schools 1 was a 4 pt home win. I need to see them beat FCS teams before I move them up from the bottom of the Top 25.

I'll be sporting the Prairie View helmet for the next few days. 2-0 for the first time since 1492;)

HensRock
September 10th, 2007, 02:36 PM

I did not have W&M.

(But I DID have Richmond! )
CAA - All the Way!

Ronbo
September 10th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Looks like we got us a QB. Maybe we should be dropped in the polls, after all I heard a lot of folks saying that was our big ????????????? mark.

September 10, 2007
Big Sky Names Football
Players of the Week

The Big Sky Conference has selected its football Players of the Week for games played on Saturday, Sept. 8. Montana QB Cole Bergquist is the Offensive Player of the Week. Idaho State safety Terrance Calloway is the Defensive Player of the Week. Idaho State punter Dan Zeidman is the Special Teams Player of the Week.

Bergquist, a 6-foot-2, 205-pound junior from San Clemente, Calif., completed all 13 of his passes for 163 yards and a touchdown in Montana’s 49-0 victory over Fort Lewis. Bergquist played roughly half the game, helping Montana build a 35-0 halftime lead. Bergquist finished with a QB rating of 230.7. He threw a 15-yard touchdown pass to Ryan Bagley with 26 seconds left in the first half. This is Bergquist’s first Player of the Week Award.

patssle
September 10th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I don't understand why SHSU keeps moving up. 2 wins over D-II schools

I agree. I thought the team was too highly ranked in pre-season, and I still think so now. We havn't proved ourselves in FCS competition....yet.

And I'm using the same logic on Montana. They have played 2 cupcake schools...yet are ranked higher than schools who have won vs. better programs.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 10th, 2007, 02:55 PM
First off, as a new pollster, let me just say that following the heat / tailgating of Saturday's festivities in Harrisonburg, only to rush home to catch the opening day of the NFL on Sunday, it is easy to be a bit distracted and make a mistake or two in the voting.

But I did not vote for W&M - that had to come from Big South supporters of VMI or something?? xeyebrowx

I only voted for UMass, JMU, UNH and Delaware from the CAA - no Towson or Villanova... yet... ;)

I think I had Furman wayyy to high at 13 or something like that, one spot ahead of Hampton, who I honestly think is not so good after a lackluster 7 point win over Howard.

My biggest mistake was probably leaving Portland St. in at 25, so I am guilty on that account. In retrospect, I should have placed the Citadel there.

Remember people, it's still VERY early in the year. Your team keeps winning and it will be noticed. Be patient, root for you team, and should they continue to post the W's they make it. Just look at San Diego last year.

Enough of the conferences will beat each other up, leaving schools like Drake, Liberty and Del St. opportunities to make a name for themselves this year. But you just have to win and keep winning. Time will tell.

citdog
September 10th, 2007, 02:57 PM
First off, as a new pollster, let me just say that following the heat / tailgating of Saturday's festivities in Harrisonburg, only to rush home to catch the opening day of the NFL on Sunday, it is easy to be a bit distracted and make a mistake or two in the voting.

But I did not vote for W&M - that had to come from Big South supporters of VMI or something?? xeyebrowx

I only voted for UMass, JMU, UNH and Delaware from the CAA - no Towson or Villanova... yet... ;)

I think I had Furman wayyy to high at 13 or something like that, one spot ahead of Hampton, who I honestly think is not so good after a lackluster 7 point win over Howard.

My biggest mistake was probably leaving Portland St. in at 25, so I am guilty on that account. In retrospect, I should have placed the Citadel there.

Remember people, it's still VERY early in the year. Your team keeps winning and it will be noticed. Be patient, root for you team, and should they continue to post the W's they make it. Just look at San Diego last year.

Enough of the conferences will beat each other up, leaving schools like Drake, Liberty and Del St. opportunities to make a name for themselves this year. But you just have to win and keep winning. Time will tell.

The Citadel at 25? you are a really smart guy!

AZGrizFan
September 10th, 2007, 02:59 PM

Not in my poll, DUPL. I had Drake @ 21, and ISU is not in my poll. Alas, I am but one man. xcoolx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 10th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Calm down there citidog. You just beat Weber International. So yes, #25. You'll likely lose vs. Wisconsin, so baring a crazy upset, which I hope to see happen, the Citadel will be on the outside looking in until they beat Wofford or Furman in October. Good Luck, and I bet you take one of those two, if not both. Until then, I doubt I'll have the Citadel in my top 25. Sorry. Like I wrote before, keep winning and it will show up in the poll. We're only 2 weeks into the season.

ChickenMan
September 10th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Calm down there citidog. You just beat Weber International. So yes, #25. You'll likely lose vs. Wisconsin, so baring a crazy upset, which I hope to see happen, the Citadel will be on the outside looking in until they beat Wofford or Furman in October. Good Luck, and I bet you take one of those two, if not both. Until then, I doubt I'll have the Citadel in my top 25. Sorry. Like I wrote before, keep winning and it will show up in the poll. We're only 2 weeks into the season.

The Citadel over Wisconsin would be a bigger upset than ASU over Michigan.

AZGrizFan
September 10th, 2007, 03:27 PM

9/14/22/12/2. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

slycat
September 10th, 2007, 03:36 PM
drake needs to be ranked. furman is way too high.

Col Hogan
September 10th, 2007, 04:10 PM
OK, I've been around AGS almost one year...last season I watched the poll...this year I vote...

I've come to realize it's more popularity than ranking of the season to date...

I just have two questions...

Based on it's season, including SOS, how is UNI not ranked # 2...A win over a Big XII BCS team?????

And how is Drake not ranked? They have played a season so far against teams with an as high or higher SOS than some top 10 teams...I've seen people (including myself) preach "Play the tough schedule, and you'll be ranked"

Both teams have played the schedule...I think both teams got ripped by a popularity contest...

89Hen
September 10th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Based on it's season, including SOS, how is UNI not ranked # 2...A win over a Big XII BCS team?????
FWIW, another I-AA beat a BigXII team last year and lost the next week to a DII. xeyebrowx

Perhaps people think that Montana would have beaten Iowa State too. xpeacex

FargoBison
September 10th, 2007, 04:33 PM
OK, I've been around AGS almost one year...last season I watched the poll...this year I vote...

I've come to realize it's more popularity than ranking of the season to date...

I just have two questions...

And how is Drake not ranked? They have played a season so far against teams with an as high or higher SOS than some top 10 teams...I've seen people (including myself) preach "Play the tough schedule, and you'll be ranked"

Both teams have played the schedule...I think both teams got ripped by a popularity contest...

I did vote UNI #2, moving both Montana and NDSU back a spot. As for Drake I am waiting until their game with UNI to rank them.

GOKATS
September 10th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Looks like we got us a QB. Maybe we should be dropped in the polls, after all I heard a lot of folks saying that was our big ????????????? mark.

September 10, 2007
Big Sky Names Football
Players of the Week

The Big Sky Conference has selected its football Players of the Week for games played on Saturday, Sept. 8. Montana QB Cole Bergquist is the Offensive Player of the Week. Idaho State safety Terrance Calloway is the Defensive Player of the Week. Idaho State punter Dan Zeidman is the Special Teams Player of the Week.

Bergquist, a 6-foot-2, 205-pound junior from San Clemente, Calif., completed all 13 of his passes for 163 yards and a touchdown in Montana’s 49-0 victory over Fort Lewis. Bergquist played roughly half the game, helping Montana build a 35-0 halftime lead. Bergquist finished with a QB rating of 230.7. He threw a 15-yard touchdown pass to Ryan Bagley with 26 seconds left in the first half. This is Bergquist’s first Player of the Week Award.

I'm not knocking Bergquists POW (his numbers are certainly respectable), but only 5 of 9 BSC teams played last weekend and only 2 of the 5 won, so the competition for POW was likely the weakest it'll be this season.

Col Hogan
September 10th, 2007, 05:14 PM
FWIW, another I-AA beat a BigXII team last year and lost the next week to a DII. xeyebrowx

Perhaps people think that Montana would have beaten Iowa State too. xpeacex

But, I thought we voted on what teams have done...not what they would have done...or conjecture about what they might do...

I voted UNI # 2...and if they lost to a DII team next week, they would drop like a rock...

But that would be based on performance...not conjecture...

And Drake has performed...they beat a highly ranked team...and won the next week...What more do we need to see...We have teams which have not played...a team with a loss and no wins...in the top 25...

Drake...Missouri State...UNI...have done what we asked...play the schedule, and win...

It's time we reward the teams...If they falter...they fall in the poll...not until then...

Performance...not popularity...not homerism...

putter
September 10th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Why the uproar after week 2? Personally I think that pre-season polls should not be allowed and polls should not start until week 3 or 4 so you can see how teams are really playing. The beginning of the season is really a popularity contest or voting on what that team did last year or the last two years.

FWIW, I have Montana ranked 5th.

Col Hogan
September 10th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Why the uproar after week 2? Personally I think that pre-season polls should not be allowed and polls should not start until week 3 or 4 so you can see how teams are really playing. The beginning of the season is really a popularity contest or voting on what that team did last year or the last two years.

FWIW, I have Montana ranked 5th.

I think I agree with you on waitiing...I'm seeing more homerism...or counting last season's performance...rather than looking at the two weeks of the season played on the field...xthumbsupx

Ronbo
September 10th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I'm not knocking Bergquists POW (his numbers are certainly respectable), but only 5 of 9 BSC teams played last weekend and only 2 of the 5 won, so the competition for POW was likely the weakest it'll be this season.

Not bad for one half. Broke the school record for completion % in a game at 100%. The old record was 12-13 held by Grady Bennet. Breaking a school record at a school that has played football since 1893 is more than respectable, it's impressive. Dickenson never had a perfect game. The 13/13 wasn't all screens and shovels either, his average was 12.5 yards per completion.

rmutv
September 10th, 2007, 05:43 PM
A few "major" differences from my poll:

I have Hampton in the top ten, since they were close to that in my preseason poll. Furman is 21st in my poll and Eastern Illinois is 23rd. Drake is 18th, Illinois State is 20th.

I also have the Citadel ranked 24th. So count another non-Citadel homer for a 'yay' vote!

Col Hogan
September 10th, 2007, 05:47 PM
A few "major" differences from my poll:

I have Hampton in the top ten, since they were close to that in my preseason poll. Furman is 21st in my poll and Eastern Illinois is 23rd. Drake is 18th, Illinois State is 20th.

I also have the Citadel ranked 24th. So count another non-Citadel homer for a 'yay' vote!

I went to the Hampton - Howard game...sitting on the Hampton side...

Lots of concern there...they made lots of mistakes...might have been first game gitters...

I ranked them...but I don't feel they are a top ten team yet...

FWIW...I was not a CAA homer...I did not rank W&M

rmutv
September 10th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I went to the Hampton - Howard game...sitting on the Hampton side...

Lots of concern there...they made lots of mistakes...might have been first game gitters...

I ranked them...but I don't feel they are a top ten team yet...

FWIW...I was not a CAA homer...I did not rank W&M

I think Hampton will fall eventually, but I had them highly ranked coming in and I haven't dropped them. They've inched up only because of other teams losing and dropping (ISU).

SuperJon
September 10th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Just pointing out that there's no chance any Big South fans vote for Liberty. We're easily the least liked school in the conference.

TheValleyRaider
September 10th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I gotta say, I don't buy the "we haven't proven ourselves yet" vibe coming from people. No one's really proven anything so far. We put you Top 25 because we think you're pretty good. Especially a team that's 2-0 at this point. Everyone's still coming together and trying to work out their kinks, so many of us aren't really feeling overly great about out teams just yet.

I have no problem keeping an 0-1 or 1-1 team in the rankings right now. One loss is too easy to chalk up to "first game jitters" or "just one of those days" to dump a team at this point in the season. In that same vein, I also don't have a huge problem with people keeping teams up because "that's where I voted 'em preseason." Still too early to really say who does and doesn't belong, especially with lots of teams at 2-0, 1-0, 1-1, 0-1 with multiple D-IIs and FBS opponents on the schedules.

For the record, I moved UMass up 1, teams that lost fell at least 1 or 2, if not more, but honestly within the rankings was relatively arbitrary. Drake still sits at 25. Furman is still ranked, but Hofstra is not. Not yet, anyway.

windwalker
September 10th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Just pointing out that there's no chance any Big South fans vote for Liberty. We're easily the least liked school in the conference.
I am waiting for you to beat 'someone'... notice... Coastal didn't even make the list... I won't vote for them either until, or if, they win at least 2 of the next 3 games... GSU FU JMU... tough row to how...

Seawolf97
September 10th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Cancel your season - you wind up # 1 by Novemberxlolx

blur2005
September 10th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I didn't vote for William & Mary. However, I have six CAA schools in the top 25. I don't think it's homerism; I just think the conference is really strong again top to bottom (well, almost, save Rhode Island). I probably need to make sure that if Drake wins next week to include them in my poll. I'm just often very skeptical of teams like Drake, though this time they actually did beat someone of note.

ngineer
September 10th, 2007, 09:13 PM

Must be W's 'surge' working ;) ..Oh, sorry, wrong thread....xspankx :D

bjtheflamesfan
September 10th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Really I'll be keeping an eye on Drake this week. I think its the fact taht they come from one of the lesser known leagues in I-AA/FCS. I really had not heard of the Pioneer League until all of the talk about San Diego in the playoffs last season. Oh and as a side note I did not vote for Liberty this past week or the first week

GannonFan
September 10th, 2007, 10:10 PM
But, I thought we voted on what teams have done...not what they would have done...or conjecture about what they might do...

I voted UNI # 2...and if they lost to a DII team next week, they would drop like a rock...

But that would be based on performance...not conjecture...

And Drake has performed...they beat a highly ranked team...and won the next week...What more do we need to see...We have teams which have not played...a team with a loss and no wins...in the top 25...

Drake...Missouri State...UNI...have done what we asked...play the schedule, and win...

It's time we reward the teams...If they falter...they fall in the poll...not until then...

Performance...not popularity...not homerism...

The thing you're missing is, with only 2 weeks worth of data you just can't look at what's been done - it's way too little of a sample size to feel real comfortable about. Conjecture will always be a bigger part of the ranking considerations earlier in the year than later since later in the year you'll have a lot more games to work with. Dropping a Montana, for instance, simply because they've played 2 bad teams would be kinda silly when most would conjecture that Montana is clearly the team to beat in the Big Sky this year - at this point in the season, you still take into account the potential of a team. Don't worry, as actual games are played that can start to fill in the space, speculation will be replaced with reality and the polls will adjust. Don't get too worried about a poll in Week 2 - teams that deserve to be ranked will have plenty of chances to prove it.

appfan2008
September 10th, 2007, 10:12 PM
i cant wait for another week or so when we can really start to see who is good and who isnt

Peems
September 10th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I could care less where the Griz are ranked, because all that matters is making the playoffs and having games in December xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2007, 10:40 PM
wtf? Cal Poly? 0-2

CopperCat
September 10th, 2007, 10:43 PM
wtf? Cal Poly? 0-2

That IS rather curious.

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2007, 10:43 PM

agreed. xthumbsdownx

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Really I'll be keeping an eye on Drake this week. I think its the fact taht they come from one of the lesser known leagues in I-AA/FCS. I really had not heard of the Pioneer League until all of the talk about San Diego in the playoffs last season. Oh and as a side note I did not vote for Liberty this past week or the first week

who cares what conference they came from? they beat illinois state on the road.

BobbyMo
September 10th, 2007, 11:07 PM
who cares what conference they came from? they beat illinois state on the road.

That is what i do not understand. Sure, their conference is not one of the powers, but they ALREADY beat Illinois State. What does their conference have to do with that?

AZGrizFan
September 10th, 2007, 11:22 PM
I could care less where the Griz are ranked, because all that matters is making the playoffs and having games in December xthumbsupx

And as the Cap'n has so accurately stated, we've already GOT our ticket. The other teams are fighting for the other three slots. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

GOKATS
September 10th, 2007, 11:33 PM
And as the Cap'n has so accurately stated, we've already GOT our ticket. The other teams are fighting for the other three slots. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Which just means that the Cap'n now has two of you 'dark pink' pukes dripping off the cheeks of his a$$.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

AZGrizFan
September 10th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Which just means that the Cap'n now has two of you 'dark pink' pukes dripping off the cheeks of his a$$.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Apparently my "sarcasm" smilie isn't working. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Eyes of Old Main
September 10th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Good poll. Not too far off mine, so I guess I'm not too terribly crazy.

GOKATS
September 10th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Apparently my "sarcasm" smilie isn't working. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Gotcha.xpeacex

bjtheflamesfan
September 10th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Well honestly I am new to the whole following I-AA/FCS football thing closely so this year voting in the poll is a real learning experience for me (particularly since Id like to be a sports broadcaster for a life career). I will try to be more informed about everybody for this next poll...bear with me.

DelState05
September 11th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Watch out for Del State .. Al Lavan is a hell of a coach

SuperJon
September 11th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I am waiting for you to beat 'someone'... notice... Coastal didn't even make the list... I won't vote for them either until, or if, they win at least 2 of the next 3 games... GSU FU JMU... tough row to how...

I agree completely. I don't vote. I was just saying that the Big South teams are more critical of us than anyone else so it wasn't them who voted for us.

813Jag
September 11th, 2007, 07:18 AM
I don't understand why SHSU keeps moving up. 2 wins over D-II schools 1 was a 4 pt home win. I need to see them beat FCS teams before I move them up from the bottom of the Top 25.

I'll be sporting the Prairie View helmet for the next few days. 2-0 for the first time since 1492;)
Actually their 2-0 for the first time with both wins against FCS teams. In 2004 they were 2-0 as well.

andy7171
September 11th, 2007, 08:33 AM
1- I didn't vote for W&M and I'm admittedly CAA-centric.
2- I had Drake at #25
3- I had UNI leap frog Montana from #3 to #2
4- Towson better show up this weekend at UMass

AlphaSigMD
September 11th, 2007, 09:59 AM

September 10, 2007
Big Sky Names Football
Players of the Week

Funny, our backup QB got conference player of the week too...

Given, he's the best backup QB in the country...and would start for 90% of the FCS...

89Hen
September 11th, 2007, 12:13 PM
There's plenty of time for teams to move in, but Drake may be in a tough spot IF they lose to UNI. UNI could very well be a team that nobody beats in the regular season, but if Drake loses, more of the 51 may stop voting for them too, which really may be unfair. :(

Yes, Drake was in my ballot again this week.

Very Short President
September 11th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Wow 2 votes for Rhode Island??? That means who is missing from the CAA?
....NU, W&M..... Step it up Huskies and Tribe, we can make it 12 for 12! Would that be a record?

GaSouthern
September 11th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I also have kept Drake in my top 25, they deserve it! Have not seen any drake fans on here much though.

lizrdgizrd
September 11th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Drake is on my ballot and would still be in the top 15 even with a loss to UNI.

DUPFLFan
September 11th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I also have kept Drake in my top 25, they deserve it! Have not seen any drake fans on here much though.

I have been here all along representing Drake. Took a HUGE amount of crap for it too...

With the attitude of most AGS'rs, almost all PFL fans (except for me and Detroit Flyer) just lurk. But your words show up on the PFL boards...

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I think many people are overlooking Penn... I have them #13 in my poll...

They have nearly every key guy back, including All-Ivy QB and RB...

They were 6-4 last year, but 3 losses were in OT and one was in regulation by 3 points...

10 of 19 All-Ivy players back...

and frankly I'm just scared for Saturday...