PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League - Week 3

carney2
September 9th, 2007, 12:34 PM
An ohfer vs. OOC. Bad day at Black Rock. That puts the League at 4-6 vs. OOC so far. Oh well, it's time to grab the garden implements and trim the Ivy. How does 4-3 look for this week? Don't like it? Then how about 5-2?

Here are the week 3 games. As always, the order of presentation agrees with the way that the games are listed on the Patriot League website.

COLGATE @ Dartmouth

Yale @ GEORGETOWN

Harvard @ HOLY CROSS

LEHIGH @ Princeton

Columbia @ FORDHAM

LAFAYETTE @ Pennsylvania

BUCKNELL @ Cornell

Week 2 results and statistics will be posted in the Lounge within the next day or two.

breezy
September 9th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Here are my predictions -- which in some cases are made with my heart rather than my head.

COLGATE @ Dartmouth -- Raiders showed some fight against UMass and should prevail over Dartmouth.

Yale @ GEORGETOWN -- Yale probably has too much firepower for the Hoyas.

Harvard @ HOLY CROSS -- HC shows it is for real with a close victory over the Johnnies.

LEHIGH @ Princeton -- Lehigh has the edge in this game.

Columbia @ FORDHAM -- Fordham has played better than expected in its first two games, and should carry the day here.

LAFAYETTE @ Pennsylvania -- Close game; Lafayette has two wins over fairly weak competition but Pennsylvania wins.

BUCKNELL @ Cornell -- Bucknell did not follow up its impressive week 1 win, and will not be able to beat Cornell.

Final score -- PL 4, Ivy 3.

ngineer
September 9th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I think 'we'll' go 4-3, with the Holy Cross and Lafayette games being the biggest 'toss-ups', and ours not far behind.

Yale will have too much for Georgetown. Eli 38-14

Colgate will dominate Dartmouth with solid ground control. Raiders 28-7

Holy Cross has had time to heal from UMass and will be up and over the Crimson in a high scoring affair. Crusaders 38-35.

Bucknell slid backwards on the wet rocks, so they need to really get it in gear for the Cornell. Close but no cigar. Big Red 24-21

Lafayette looks like the strongest PL team in the early going, but they enter rabbit hole of Franklin Field where nothing appears as it is. Leopard's kicking game may be suspect at this time and bite them in a slugfest.
Quakers 17-14.

Fordham is showing some fiestiness and should be more physical than Columbia. Rams 24-14.

Lehigh showed rust and too many first game mistakes in its loss to Villanova, but showed it can play hard and tough with them. After beating 'nova last year, then giving up a lead and losing to Princeton, I think we'll see the reverse this year. Teams closely matched, but Lehigh pull it out in an exciting night. Mountain Hawks 31-21

bulldog10jw
September 9th, 2007, 08:36 PM
An ohfer vs. OOC. Bad day at Black Rock. That puts the League at 4-6 vs. OOC so far. Oh well, it's time to grab the garden implements and trim the Ivy. How does 4-3 look for this week? Don't like it? Then how about 5-2?

Here are the week 3 games. As always, the order of presentation agrees with the way that the games are listed on the Patriot League website.

COLGATE @ Dartmouth

Yale @ GEORGETOWN

Harvard @ HOLY CROSS

LEHIGH @ Princeton

Columbia @ FORDHAM

LAFAYETTE @ Pennsylvania

BUCKNELL @ Cornell

Week 2 results and statistics will be posted in the Lounge within the next day or two.

I like:

Colgate
Yale
Harvard
Lehigh
Fordham
Penn
Cornell

Who is Brown playing?

carney2
September 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I think that there are some important games this week, so I am picking them in my perceived order of importance.

1. LEHIGH @ Princeton: IMO, the Squawks did not live up to billing vs. Nova. Andy I'll-Always-Say-Something-To-P__s-You-Off Talley gloated that "I thought our quarterback was the better quarterback today," indicating that All-World Sedale continues his inconsistencies. The local press indicated that the better team won. All in all, the off season sizzle was much more satisfying than the game day steak. Despite returning 15 starters from a team that tied for the Ivy championship last year, the Tiggers from Old Nassau are not considered strong contenders in 2007, and appear eminently beatable. If the hype is for real, now is the time for the feather heads to take it up a notch - but keep your ChickenSquawk reevaluation kits handy. Lehigh.

2. Harvard @ HOLY CROSS: The final score of the HC @ UMass game got my attention. I then looked at the details and found that the rout was on, with UMass up by 28, when the 'saders unleashed the 2007 version of their Wally One Note offense, with Randolph throwing a ridiculous 62 times. The scoreboard changed, but not the outcome. I guess I'm asking what happens when the Purple People go against League teams who actually put some real energy into game planning them instead of concentrating on getting their own house in order before their conference season begins. This week it's the Crimson Snobs. They aren't UMass, but they aren't FCS Lite either. Like Lehigh, it's time for the 'saders to stand and be counted. Not yet a believer: Harvard.

3. Columbia @ FORDHAM: Is anyone else getting the feeling that good things are beginning to happen in RamLand? Suddenly the URI win is looking pretty good after those other Rams went toe to toe with Army, and Albany is a pretty good team. They are facing a Columbia team that is not your father's powder blue, powder puff Lions. Second year coach Norries Wilson has at least given up the long-term lease on the Ivy basement, and his Lions should not be taken lightly. Another "prove it" game, but my sixth sense tells me that the Rams are up to the task. Fordham.

4. LAFAYETTE @ Pennsylvania: Initially I had this game ranked higher on my list of "important" games and also had it as a "show me" game. Cooler heads prevailed however, as I remembered that I have been watching the Ivies beat on their favorite pinata for decades. Nothing seems to change, and it doesn't seem to have much impact on how the Leopards play in late October and November. Still, LFN, the Lehigh blogmeister, says that Tavani finally has a team that can play in September. A real contender would at least have the decency to show up. I''ll believe it only when it actually happens. Pennsylvania.

Not unimportant, but...

COLGATE @ Dartmouth: The Raiders are the envy of everyone in the Patriot League on this Ivy - Patriot Shootout Weekend. If anyone in Hanover knows how to play this game, they haven't shown it in years. Colgate.

Yale @ GEORGETOWN: In Saturday's game vs. Lafayette, the Georgetown scoreboard clock failed in the 4th quarter. Limited as they are by traveling squad restrictions, the Bulldogs may actually wear out the rest of that ancient tabulator this Saturday. Yale.

BUCKNELL @ Cornell: The Bison continue to mystify and infuriate. Until they give me the ability to get a better handle, they are only as good as their last game. It was a stinker. Cornell.

brownbear
September 9th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Brown is playing Duquesne this Saturday.

Any Dukes fans on AGS?

blukeys
September 9th, 2007, 09:06 PM

Any Dukes fans on AGS?

Yes check out any JMU post!!xsmiley_wix

Pard94
September 10th, 2007, 07:46 AM
I like COLGATE over Dartmouth. I jut think they are a quite simply a better team.

YALE over Georgetown...stating the obvious with this pick.

I think Harvard wins a close one over Holy Cross. I think this one has the potenital to be interesting. I think Harvard believes their own press and Holy Cross ignores theirs.

LEHIGH beats Princeton because the desperately want to avoid 0-2. I think Threatt continues to look very mortal and even some diehard Mountain Hawks start to admit he's pretty mediocre (as I have been saying for two years).

FORDHAM beats Columbia and starts to build some momentum for a sleeper type season in the PL.

LAFAYETTE beats a very close one against Penn. This is a complete toss up but I am picking Lafayette because if they win I get to start thinking irrational giddy thoughts about an undefeated season.

I guessing Cornell beats Bucknell...just a hunch.

Ivytalk
September 10th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Colgate
Yale
Holy Cross (xbawlingx , but the 'Saders are overdue in this series)
Lehigh
Columbia (why not?)
Penn
Cornell

65 Pard
September 10th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Colgate by 17

Yale by 10

Harvard by 6

Princeton by 3

Fordham by 10

Lafayette by 7

Pards Rule
September 10th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Ahhh, the only other one who likes the Pards Saturday. I'm calling for the upset!

brownbear
September 10th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Colgate
Harvard
Fordham
Cornell
Penn
Yale
Lehigh

and Brown too to round out the Ivy League

colorless raider
September 10th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Gate
Penn
Yale
Holy Cross
Fordham
Cornell
Brown(just for kicks)
Lehigh

carney2
September 10th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Ahhh, the only other one who likes the Pards Saturday. I'm calling for the upset!

Actually, this makes 3 - all homer calls. I am beginning to feel that I will henceforth be banned from Pfenning Hall if I don't change my selection.

As I said on the Lafayette site, I am beginning to get some positive vibes about this team. Can the defense win them a few while the offense takes some time to sort things out?

UAalum72
September 10th, 2007, 10:28 AM

Any Dukes fans on AGS?
A few post on Don Hansen's small college forum http://www.donhansen.com/forum/

TheValleyRaider
September 10th, 2007, 12:18 PM
It's Monday, so it's pickin' time.

Colgate at Dartmouth Colgate Green is nowhere near as good as the two teams Colgate has already played tough this season. Scott runs wild in this one

Yale at Georgetown Yale Hoyas get in on the PL-IL action, but alas, it's against the defending Ivy co-champs

Harvard at Holy Cross Holy Cross Harvard's a pretty good team, but HC also found holes in a UMass D that's better than the Crimson's. Taking the upset here

Lehigh at Princeton Lehigh Like last week, the team with the extra game under its belt picks up the win in this one, but it'll be a tight one

Columbia at Fordham Fordham Echoing other sentiments here, the Rams could be a decent team this year, as opposed to the "almost decent" most predicted of them

Lafayette at Pennsylvania Pennsylvania Okay Pards, I'll believe it when I see it. Prove me wrong

Bucknell at Cornell Cornell Inclined to take Bucknell, but still don't know what to think of their team. The Red are a tough bunch, especially at home, and I can't honestly pick 5 PL wins this weekend. Prove me wrong

Let's see if the Patriots can get a better start this year against the Ivies. We can take the series this year!

carney2
September 10th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Week 2 Results are available in The Lounge.

letsgopards04
September 10th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Colgate at Dartmouth Colgate
Yale at Georgetown Yale
Harvard at Holy Cross Harvard
Lehigh at Princeton Princeton
Columbia at Fordham Fordham
Lafayette at Pennsylvania Penn (although it will be much closer than past meetings)
Bucknell at Cornell Cornell

hc12
September 10th, 2007, 04:35 PM
princeton@lehigh to many returners for the tigers,princeton17 lehigh 14 the chicks are to bipolar.
harvard@hc sader offense is gearing up the problem is the snot nose kids from havard have a good team,hc needs d help but still win hc35 harvard21
columbia@fordham the ramfans become the driving force in this one,fordham21 columbia10
lafayette@penn frenchy's just do not no what kind of team they are,penn has a good teamon both side of the ball, penn21 lafayette14
colgate @dartmouth gate dominates colgate35 dartmouth10
bucknell@cornell the bison burgers will get tough on the big red,cornell oline is terrible
plus having only 5 fans in the stands hurts the home team bucknell17cornell14. lets go patriot league this weekend ! go saders!

Go...gate
September 10th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Any Dukes fans on AGS?

Actually, there are a couple who posted earlier this summer when DU changed conferences. I'm sure they will turn up.

Go...gate
September 10th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I think that there are some important games this week, so I am picking them in my perceived order of importance.

1. LEHIGH @ Princeton: IMO, the Squawks did not live up to billing vs. Nova. Andy I'll-Always-Say-Something-To-P__s-You-Off Talley gloated that "I thought our quarterback was the better quarterback today," indicating that All-World Sedale continues his inconsistencies. The local press indicated that the better team won. All in all, the off season sizzle was much more satisfying than the game day steak. Despite returning 15 starters from a team that tied for the Ivy championship last year, the Tiggers from Old Nassau are not considered strong contenders in 2007, and appear eminently beatable. If the hype is for real, now is the time for the feather heads to take it up a notch - but keep your ChickenSquawk reevaluation kits handy. Lehigh.

2. Harvard @ HOLY CROSS: The final score of the HC @ UMass game got my attention. I then looked at the details and found that the rout was on, with UMass up by 28, when the 'saders unleashed the 2007 version of their Wally One Note offense, with Randolph throwing a ridiculous 62 times. The scoreboard changed, but not the outcome. I guess I'm asking what happens when the Purple People go against League teams who actually put some real energy into game planning them instead of concentrating on getting their own house in order before their conference season begins. This week it's the Crimson Snobs. They aren't UMass, but they aren't FCS Lite either. Like Lehigh, it's time for the 'saders to stand and be counted. Not yet a believer: Harvard.

3. Columbia @ FORDHAM: Is anyone else getting the feeling that good things are beginning to happen in RamLand? Suddenly the URI win is looking pretty good after those other Rams went toe to toe with Army, and Albany is a pretty good team. They are facing a Columbia team that is not your father's powder blue, powder puff Lions. Second year coach Norries Wilson has at least given up the long-term lease on the Ivy basement, and his Lions should not be taken lightly. Another "prove it" game, but my sixth sense tells me that the Rams are up to the task. Fordham.

4. LAFAYETTE @ Pennsylvania: Initially I had this game ranked higher on my list of "important" games and also had it as a "show me" game. Cooler heads prevailed however, as I remembered that I have been watching the Ivies beat on their favorite pinata for decades. Nothing seems to change, and it doesn't seem to have much impact on how the Leopards play in late October and November. Still, LFN, the Lehigh blogmeister, says that Tavani finally has a team that can play in September. A real contender would at least have the decency to show up. I''ll believe it only when it actually happens. Pennsylvania.

Not unimportant, but...

COLGATE @ Dartmouth: The Raiders are the envy of everyone in the Patriot League on this Ivy - Patriot Shootout Weekend. If anyone in Hanover knows how to play this game, they haven't shown it in years. Colgate.

Yale @ GEORGETOWN: In Saturday's game vs. Lafayette, the Georgetown scoreboard clock failed in the 4th quarter. Limited as they are by traveling squad restrictions, the Bulldogs may actually wear out the rest of that ancient tabulator this Saturday. Yale.

BUCKNELL @ Cornell: The Bison continue to mystify and infuriate. Until they give me the ability to get a better handle, they are only as good as their last game. It was a stinker. Cornell.

You mean the alter ego of Andy "I hate the athletically and academically inferior Patriot League" Talley? He needs to get a clue.

BobbyMo
September 10th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Without any NEC or former/future NEC teams its tough for me to pick this week, but what the hell...

COLGATE
Yale
Harvard
Princeton
FORDHAM
LAFAYETTE
Cornell

carney2
September 11th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Colgate by 17

Yale by 10

Harvard by 6

Princeton by 3

Fordham by 10

Lafayette by 7

You missed one: Bucknell @ Cornell.

carney2
September 11th, 2007, 10:02 AM
princeton@lehigh to many returners for the tigers,princeton17 lehigh 14 the chicks are to bipolar.
harvard@hc sader offense is gearing up the problem is the snot nose kids from havard have a good team,hc needs d help but still win hc35 harvard21
columbia@fordham the ramfans become the driving force in this one,fordham21 columbia10
lafayette@penn frenchy's just do not no what kind of team they are,penn has a good teamon both side of the ball, penn21 lafayette14
colgate @dartmouth gate dominates colgate35 dartmouth10
bucknell@cornell the bison burgers will get tough on the big red,cornell oline is terrible
plus having only 5 fans in the stands hurts the home team bucknell17cornell14. lets go patriot league this weekend ! go saders!

You missed one: Yale @ Georgetown.

Lafayette71
September 11th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I also felt like week three would start to shake things out in the PL, but the more I have thought about the match-ups, the more I realized that it will be tough to guage what the performance of Fordham and Bucknell against Columbia and Cornell will tell us about two of the tougher teams to figure out so far.

Lehigh at Princeton-The Tigers won this game last year in close fashion. Both teams are largely the same. I'll take Princeton in another tight one playing at home.

Harvard at Holy Cross. I don't know what to expect out of Harvard. It seems everyone is picking Yale to run the table in the conference so Harvard's either being overlooked or possibly they're not as strong as they have been in recent years. Holy Cross in a Shootout 38-31.

Columbia at Fordham. How will Columbia respond to the loooong road trip to Face the Rams? Fordham

Lafayette at Penn. Is this the year the Pards break the Curse? I'm taking Lafayette in a homer special. On paper, Penn looks to be the stronger team. Maybe they'll be a a little out of sync offensively in the opener.

Colgate at Dartmouth- Colgate in a walk

Yale at Georgetown. Yale appears to be the class of the Ivies

Bucknell at Cornell-Which Bison team shows up? Cornell gets the nod at home.

Fordham
September 11th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Princeton
Harvard
Fordham
Lafayette
Colgate
Cornell

carney2
September 11th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Princeton
Harvard
Fordham
Lafayette
Colgate
Cornell

You missed one: Yale @ Georgetown

LBPop
September 11th, 2007, 12:48 PM
It's already getting tough as a Hoya fan to make these picks, but I will press on:

Lehigh over Princeton - Lehigh's game experience and a personal bias against Princeton has me picking half with the head and half with the heart.

Harvard over Holy Cross - I'm still not buying the HC hype, but if they win this, I could be converted.

Fordham over Columbia - I suspect that the football Rams are doing more things right than the good folks at Georgetown. If that sounds a little like "football envy", it is.

Penn over Lafayette - Last week, the Lafayette defense impressed me...the offense did not. My hunch is that Penn has better balance.

Colgate over Dartmouth - Jordan Scott is already daydreaming about the number 200...xrolleyesx

Yale over Georgetown - Lafayette probably should have scored more against my Hoyas (see previous comment). I fear that Yale will.

Cornell over Bucknell - Bucknell should be better; Cornell should be better. So, I guess I think that Cornell is more better than Bucknell.

65 Pard
September 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM
You missed one: Bucknell @ Cornell.

Cornell by 1

Fordham
September 11th, 2007, 07:33 PM
You missed one: Yale @ Georgetown

Yale ... but my heart is with the Hoyas.

YaleFootballFan
September 11th, 2007, 09:17 PM
For the record, I would love to see the Ivy go 8-0 this week.

My picks, for what its worth....

Colgate over Dartmouth - Big Green just not a very good team. Raiders roll.

Yale over Georgetown - Hopefully Yale doesn't take the Hoyas lightly, like they did USD in last year's opener.

Harvard over Holy Cross - Should be a good game, may go down to the wire.

Princeton over Lehigh - Another close game between two pretty even teams.

Fordham over Columbia - Rams win the battle of NYC.

Pennsylvania over Lafayette - Quaker dominance in this series continues. Sorry Pards.

Cornell over Bucknell - A real toss up. Since the Big Red are home, I'll pick them.

And....

Brown over Duquesne - The only non-Ivy vs. PL game of the week. Bears should win this one.

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Penn will beat the Pards.. we couldn't stop them last year and they are only stronger this year... I can remember not being able to tackle Sandberg.. they are experienced this year too..

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 11th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Guessed right on 3 of 5 right last week :) (Would have been 4-1 if Fordam squeeked by UA).

For week #3:

COLGATE @ Dartmouth. Colgate wins BIG over Little Green, 35-14

Yale @ GEORGETOWN. Yale adds to GU woes, 45-0

Harvard @ HOLY CROSS. Cross squeeks out win at home, 14-13

LEHIGH @ Princeton. Lehigh facing 0-2 start, pulls out road win, 24-21.

Columbia @ FORDHAM. Trendy pick. Rams go to 2-1 with 24-14 win.

LAFAYETTE @ Pennsylvania. Leopards win on road, 35-25.

BUCKNELL @ Cornell. Total tossup. Bucknell is underachieving, but gets win on the road, 17-10.

LeopardFan04
September 11th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Colgate
Yale
Harvard
Princeton
Fordham
Lafayette
Bucknell

DC 'gater
September 12th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Colgate
Lehigh
Penn
Harvard
Fordham
Bucknell
Yale

Andy
September 12th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Colgate
Yale
Harvard--gotta keep an eye on this one
Lehigh--toss up, Tigers breaking in new QB
Fordham--I'll stand by the Rams

Lafayette--cause I like what's going on with this team despite lack of star power at QB. (in fact, a list of "best Leopards" would have DiPaula at about eleventh or twelfth by my count. Any PL championships won under similar circumstances?) Pards want a big OOC win. It's time.

Cornell--trying to figure out Bucknell gives me a headache.

Lafalumni29
September 12th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Colgate
Yale
Harvard
Lehigh
Fordham
Lafayette
Cornell

citdog
September 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM
i will ask Kevin Higgins tonight who he likes and post tomorrow.

hc12
September 12th, 2007, 06:34 PM
sorry carney, a mind is a terrible thing to wastexlolx
princeton
hc
yale
fordham
penn
colgate
bucknell

drunk,fat and stupid is no way to go through life.xoopsx xconfusedx

Pards Rule
September 12th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Is the Penn-Lafayette going to be on CN8??

carney2
September 12th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Is the Penn-Lafayette going to be on CN8??

No.

colgate13
September 12th, 2007, 08:40 PM

Fantastic coach and a great guy. How's he doing down there?

ngineer
September 12th, 2007, 09:27 PM

If you're going to some 'soiree' or whatnot where Kevin will be, please send warm regards from the "Lehigh contingent' on the AGS Board...He could have been set for life here in the Lehigh Valley..but chased the brass ring of the NFL...

Interesting question, as they say timing is everything; but IF the Lehigh job had opened up the year he got released in Detroit, would he have come back to Bethlehem???

All the best against those bast--I mean Badgers...;)

Franks Tanks
September 12th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Colgate 28 - Big Green 7 - Dartmouth hasn't shown much recently

Yale 38 - G-town 3 - Not even close

Harvard 24 - Cross 17 - Harvard scores late to get the W

Lehigh 28 Princeton 21 - Lehigh brings a measure of respect the the Ivy/Patriot matchups

Fordham 21 Columbia 14 - Everybody beats Columbia

Cornell 17 Bucknell 14 - Who knows what to expect? but I dont really like this Bucknell team

Penn 28 Lafayette 17 - Seriously when was the last time we beat Penn, I cant remember. Was it the Erik Marsh era? Or maybe is was the days when Frank Baur slinged the Ball? Was it when any of the Ravilico's played? Were the Ravilico's even born yet? Perhaps our last win was when George "Rose" Barclay was inventing the helmet to avoid cauliflower ears to keep in good graces for the ladies as our media guide perpetually points out. Whenever it was it was a long time ago, and I unfortunantly dont see it changing this year, especially on the road.

Pard 82
September 12th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Penn 28 Lafayette 17 - Seriously when was the last time we beat Penn, I cant remember. Was it the Erik Marsh era? Or maybe is was the days when Frank Baur slinged the Ball? Was it when any of the Ravilico's played? Were the Ravilico's even born yet? Perhaps our last win was when George "Rose" Barclay was inventing the helmet to avoid cauliflower ears to keep in good graces for the ladies as our media guide perpetually points out. Whenever it was it was a long time ago, and I unfortunantly dont see it changing this year, especially on the road.

We had a good run vs. Penn from '78 to '82, going 4-0 against the Quakers. xthumbsupx xhurrayx xprost2x

But since then it's been ugly (1-10, with the lone win on the road in '90). xbawlingx xbangx xsplatx

I'd say it's about time for paybacks. xanim_chaix

DFW HOYA
September 13th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Here's a link more pessimistic than even this thread--the Yale Daily News, which calls Georgetown a "historicaly dismal" team.

(The YDN might want to check its facts more closely.) xoopsx

http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/21284

Pard94
September 13th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Colgate 28 - Big Green 7 - Dartmouth hasn't shown much recently

Yale 38 - G-town 3 - Not even close

Harvard 24 - Cross 17 - Harvard scores late to get the W

Lehigh 28 Princeton 21 - Lehigh brings a measure of respect the the Ivy/Patriot matchups

Fordham 21 Columbia 14 - Everybody beats Columbia

Cornell 17 Bucknell 14 - Who knows what to expect? but I dont really like this Bucknell team

Hey FT, it was in fact when the "Ravilico's" (actually Ravalico's were playing). I was actually playing D-Line at that point in my career. Joe Valero was playing O-line for them. He went on to a successful career in the pros. He was a beast. As I recall we may have been running a combination of Costello and Marsh at them at that point. Erick may have been a freshman. But we did beat them and it was a great experience playing on Frankiln Field (especially for a Philly kid such as myself).

You know what...I'm a firm believer that history is history. I think we have been getting beat up by Penn and the Ivies ever since not because of some imaginary monkey on our back but because they were better than us. Be it coaching or talent or some combination thereof, they were just better. If they beat us Sunday it will be for the same reason. And, it may happen becasue they are a damn good team with an excellent coaching staff. When I look at the schedule Penn is one of those games that could easily be a loss. I hope not but it won't ruin the season if it is. And if we do we have to try not to get caught up in the whole "curse of the ivies thing". It's not like we are playing Dartmouth this weekend...this is one of the Ivy League's best this year. i hope we play them tough. I think we can win but at the very least i hope it is a hard fought contest from which we can draw some positives. GO PARDS!

Pard94
September 13th, 2007, 05:55 AM
We had a good run vs. Penn from '78 to '82, going 4-0 against the Quakers. xthumbsupx xhurrayx xprost2x

But since then it's been ugly (1-10, with the lone win on the road in '90). xbawlingx xbangx xsplatx

I'd say it's about time for paybacks. xanim_chaix

You are correct Pard82. I was a Freshman which means Marsh was still running wild at Bethlehem Catholic. So it was all Costello at Franklin Field.

Franks Tanks
September 13th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Hey FT, it was in fact when the "Ravilico's" (actually Ravalico's were playing). I was actually playing D-Line at that point in my career. Joe Valero was playing O-line for them. He went on to a successful career in the pros. He was a beast. As I recall we may have been running a combination of Costello and Marsh at them at that point. Erick may have been a freshman. But we did beat them and it was a great experience playing on Frankiln Field (especially for a Philly kid such as myself).

You know what...I'm a firm believer that history is history. I think we have been getting beat up by Penn and the Ivies ever since not because of some imaginary monkey on our back but because they were better than us. Be it coaching or talent or some combination thereof, they were just better. If they beat us Sunday it will be for the same reason. And, it may happen becasue they are a damn good team with an excellent coaching staff. When I look at the schedule Penn is one of those games that could easily be a loss. I hope not but it won't ruin the season if it is. And if we do we have to try not to get caught up in the whole "curse of the ivies thing". It's not like we are playing Dartmouth this weekend...this is one of the Ivy League's best this year. i hope we play them tough. I think we can win but at the very least i hope it is a hard fought contest from which we can draw some positives. GO PARDS!

Sorry about the spellling of the last name, also some great stories. I of course hope we beat the tar out of Penn, but it just seems we always match up very poorly against them. They run that 3-4 and are so darn quick up front, the offense never seems to click. Also I think the Penn coaching staff knows us very well and has our number. But hey you never know, and a win this week can be the indication that we are on the road to a very good season.

Pards Rule
September 13th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Sorry about the spellling of the last name, also some great stories. I of course hope we beat the tar out of Penn, but it just seems we always match up very poorly against them. They run that 3-4 and are so darn quick up front, the offense never seems to click. Also I think the Penn coaching staff knows us very well and has our number. But hey you never know, and a win this week can be the indication that we are on the road to a very good season.

I got to spend like 7 hours with the Penn linebackers coach in the Detroit Airport in Dec. 05 due to snow delayed US Air flight coming from Philly to get us. Nice guy - and he was ardently reviewing his recruiting video the whole time between chatting with me. I'm sure they look at the tapes of opponents just as diligently as this guy was scoping offseason recruiting reels. He came with Bagliani from Union.

carney2
September 13th, 2007, 09:29 AM

True about the Ivies being "better than us," but, frankly, I prefer the "monkey" thing. It makes for much more sparkling conversation. This year I'm calling it The Curse of Lord Corwallis which, you must admit, might cause a "What in the h__l are you talking about?!" as opposed to a response to "They're good. We suk."

If "they beat us Sunday" we will have had a remarkably disastrous weekend, going 0-2. I point this out only because it is a higher level of "doom" than even I could conjure. (Apologies to the board - a private banter.)

Yours in curmudgeondom,

c2

bison137
September 13th, 2007, 10:51 AM
If "they beat us Sunday" we will have had a remarkably disastrous weekend, going 0-2. I point this out only because it is a higher level of "doom" than even I could conjure.
c2

Would you settle for winning the Saturday game and losing Sunday?

Pard94
September 13th, 2007, 11:03 AM
True about the Ivies being "better than us," but, frankly, I prefer the "monkey" thing. It makes for much more sparkling conversation. This year I'm calling it The Curse of Lord Corwallis which, you must admit, might cause a "What in the h__l are you talking about?!" as opposed to a response to "They're good. We suk."

If "they beat us Sunday" we will have had a remarkably disastrous weekend, going 0-2. I point this out only because it is a higher level of "doom" than even I could conjure. (Apologies to the board - a private banter.)

Yours in curmudgeondom,

c2

Sorry about that...SATURDAY...if they beat us Saturday. The pro-like facilities have me thinking the Leopards play on Sunday now.

DFW HOYA
September 13th, 2007, 12:09 PM
The pro-like facilities have me thinking the Leopards play on Sunday now.

Strange, I don't think any Georgetown fan thinks they play on Sunday... xlolx

Did you go to the Lafayette game last week at Georgetown's unnamed and unfinished field? Comments?

carney2
September 13th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Strange, I don't think any Georgetown fan thinks they play on Sunday... xlolx

Did you go to the Lafayette game last week at Georgetown's unnamed and unfinished field? Comments?

Caught it on TV. I was hot and dehydrated while sitting in air conditioned comfort with a tall cold one. Very happy that I decided to forego the trip to DC. FYI, in the pregame show Frank talked about how bad it was going to be squeezing 58 guys into a locker room built to accommodate 12.

LBPop
September 13th, 2007, 12:38 PM
FYI, in the pregame show Frank talked about how bad it was going to be squeezing 58 guys into a locker room built to accommodate 12.

Without hearing his tone and hearing the context, I would be foolish to judge. But that comment reads like he unnecessarily took a shot at Georgetown's facilities. If that's true, I am very disappointed. Did you take it that way?

carney2
September 13th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Without hearing his tone and hearing the context, I would be foolish to judge. But that comment reads like he unnecessarily took a shot at Georgetown's facilities. If that's true, I am very disappointed. Did you take it that way?

It's a half hour show, so at this distance it's difficult to put it into context. My hazy recollection is that it was in the part about how his teams have had difficulty with Georgetown over the years and this was one more thing that they had to cope with, so they had better be prepared.

LBPop
September 13th, 2007, 01:00 PM
It's a half hour show, so at this distance it's difficult to put it into context. My hazy recollection is that it was in the part about how his teams have had difficulty with Georgetown over the years and this was one more thing that they had to cope with, so they had better be prepared.

Not that he cares what I think, but I'm inclined to give Tavani a pass because I've never seen or heard any similar quote attributed to him. I appreciate what he has accomplished in Easton and I hope he appreciates what Georgetown does for Lafayette and the rest of the PL. At the very least, the Hoyas keep the football membership at 7 and right now that alone is a valuable contribution.

DFW HOYA
September 13th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I don't know the context either, but I can't imagine it's that far removed from the grumblings of any visiting coach or fan who sees the place.

Franks Tanks
September 13th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Doe he not have the right to criticize sub-par facilities? Before the fisher remodel visiting teams would also complaain about their accomodations.

carney2
September 13th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I don't know the context either, but I can't imagine it's that far removed from the grumblings of any visiting coach or fan who sees the place.

All true. I've been around since the beginning and do not ever remember Frank dis-ing an opponent, let alone a League rival.

ColgateTD
September 13th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Colgate 28, Dartmouth 21 - Maroon beats Green
Yale 21, Georgetown 3 - Beltway Blues for Hoyas
Harvard 32, Holy Cross 24 - 'Saders seeing Crimson in this one.
Lehigh 29, Princeton 17 - Mtn Hawks "engineer" a win over Tigers
Fordham 17, Columbia 10 - Rams over Lions in dull affair
Penn 31, Lafayette 20 - Pards "quake" in Phillie
Cornell 24, Bucknell 14 - Bison can't catch Ithaca State

Rjm7272
September 13th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Well, its Thursday, and since I'm leaving for the Colgate-Dartmouth game tomorrow, I suppose I should submit my picks for the week...

Colgate over Dartmouth
Yale over Georgetown
Holy Cross over Harvard
Lehigh over Princeton
Fordham over Columbia
Penn over Lafayette
Bucknell over Cornell

Fordham
September 13th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Colgate 28Fordham 17, Columbia 10 - Rams over Lions in dull affair

xmadx

ngineer
September 13th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Doe he not have the right to criticize sub-par facilities? Before the fisher remodel visiting teams would also complaain about their accomodations.

Hell, EVERYONE complained about the facilities..including the pard people! I've been to Georgeotown's stadium and don't remember either Lembo or Coen commenting on the locker room conditions..Appears to me they use a locker room in the gymnasium behind the home stands. I think the Hoyas came out of the big dormatory behind the one endzone?

hc12
September 13th, 2007, 08:20 PM
colgatetd are you a writer for the daily show

kardplayer
September 13th, 2007, 09:33 PM

COLGATE @ Dartmouth

Yale @ GEORGETOWN

Harvard @ HOLY CROSS

LEHIGH @ Princeton

Columbia @ FORDHAM

LAFAYETTE @ Pennsylvania

BUCKNELL @ Cornell

I'm going with a straight sweep this week! All PL, all the time! Okay, maybe not...

I'll go with the Patriot League teams, except Yale will win.

Pard4Life
September 13th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Colgate
Yale
Harvard--gotta keep an eye on this one
Lehigh--toss up, Tigers breaking in new QB
Fordham--I'll stand by the Rams

Lafayette--cause I like what's going on with this team despite lack of star power at QB. (in fact, a list of "best Leopards" would have DiPaula at about eleventh or twelfth by my count. Any PL championships won under similar circumstances?) Pards want a big OOC win. It's time.

Cornell--trying to figure out Bucknell gives me a headache.

Andy, we used up that OOC win on Richmond... twice..

Pard4Life
September 13th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Call me APardolypto this week..

Colgate 35, Dartmouth 17
Yale 41, Georgetown 10
Holy Cross 24, Harvard 21
Princeton 28, Lehigh 18
Fordham 21, Columbia 20 (this will be a good game imo.. two teams on the building circuit)
Penn 27, Lafayette 17
Cornell 24, Bucknell 14

3-4 against the Ivy, eh respectable... not great..

Pard 82
September 13th, 2007, 10:36 PM
COLGATE @ Dartmouth

Yale @ GEORGETOWN

Harvard @ HOLY CROSS

LEHIGH @ Princeton

Columbia @ FORDHAM

LAFAYETTE @ Pennsylvania

BUCKNELL @ Cornell

DFW HOYA
September 14th, 2007, 07:17 AM
I think the Hoyas came out of the big dormatory behind the one endzone?

I think that's by necessity due to the configuration of that 1940's-era locker room, which was not built for a football-sized group.

But I digress. This week's games:

Colgate over Dartmouth: The Green Indians are getting better, but the Red Raiders still have enough to get the win.

Harvard over Holy Cross: In overtime.

Princeton over Lehigh: Princeton's rush defense the key.

Fordham over Columbia: Will this game finally get Fordham more coverage in the Post and Daily News?

Pennsylvania over Lafayette: Three of the last four were in Easton, but the Leopards haven't won in Philadelphia since 1991.

Cornell over Bucknell: Teams have alternated wins for the last five years. It's Cornell's turn.

Yale over Georgetown: Elis own a 35 pound difference on the line in its first visit ever to a game in Washington, and the Hoyas' best RB from last year has only one yard rushing in two games.

Ken_Z
September 14th, 2007, 07:53 AM
on the road this week. my focus is not what it should be, but i'll give the old college try:

COLGATE 31 @ Dartmouth 14: politically correct Raiders beat up on Big Green avenging insulted Martians everywhere.

Yale 24 @ GEORGETOWN 13: so are there more Georgetown fans on these boards or at the game Saturday?

Harvard 31 @ HOLY CROSS 28: the longest moral victory streak in the nation is intact. HC is a team on the rise.

LEHIGH 13 @ Princeton 14: thirty two more posts on the Lehigh board re Lembo vs. Coen

Columbia 17 @ FORDHAM 14: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, hunh, is it time for lunch? i’ll have the roast lamb.

LAFAYETTE 21 @ Pennsylvania 19: whooda thunk it, KenZ picking the #$&^% *&#!!# spotted Lepers to uphold the honor of the league.

BUCKNELL 17 @ Cornell 21: a late go ahead score for the Bison is negated as Trigg is called for traveling

final tally: Academically Pretentious League 5, Academically Pretentious Wanabees 2

LBPop
September 14th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Of course he has the right to say it. I never said otherwise. I just said that it was unnecessary. It's easy to take shots at Georgetown's facilities...I've been doing it for more than three years. In fact, I was at a meeting for football parents which was conducted by the AD just last Saturday and we were not shy in our comments about this very issue.

In my opinion Tavani didn't have to make that remark on a pre-game broadcast and I'm guessing he was just having a little fun. But there are things about Lafayette that a Georgetown coach could say that would be totally out of place on a show like that and I would call him out for it if he said them.

No big deal, though. I am impressed with what Tavani has done and what has been done with the facilities. I got to see them first hand last season (before that amazing new building was completed) and I was so impressed that I said on this board that it is now my favorite venue in the PL. The clincher for me is that it is right on campus and that's why it is likely a model for Georgetown to follow.

bison137
September 14th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Colgate over Dartmouth by 10
Harvard over HC by a field goal
Princeton over Lehigh by 6
Fordham over Columbia by 1
Penn over Lafayette by 3
Bucknell over Colgate by 1
Yale over Georgetown by a lot

Lafayette71
September 14th, 2007, 09:50 AM

I find your knowledge the Ravalico's both Hilarious and fascinating. It certainly wasn't during Mark's tenure. He and I played together and I believe we only played Penn once and lost. George and Pete played on PL championship teams though. Maybe they had a win ver the quakers under their belt?

Edit: After reading the rest of the posts after the tanks, I see that a genuine Ravalico has set us straight.

Lafayette71
September 14th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Fisher Field's old facilities were notoriously bad. The Pards dressed out at metzger fields and took buses onto campus. The away team got to visit the bowels of the old gym at the top of the hill.

Andy
September 14th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Andy, we used up that OOC win on Richmond... twice..

Remember them well, P4L. But, as I mentioned on the voy board--"looking for a quality OOC win (better than those Richmond teams)". The first win was huge for the program though, you're right. I still marvel over that goal line stand play by Bennett, one of the greatest defensive plays I've ever seen. The second was a gift from Clausen when he switched Tutt to WR.

BTW, Tutt begins season on Jets '07 active roster as a FB. (Costanzo went in final cut).

carney2
September 14th, 2007, 10:39 AM
With a little over a day to go, Kid Konsesus is picking the Patsies to go 3-4 against the Ivies:

Colgate over Dartmouth
Yale over Georgetown
Harvard over Holy Cross
Lehigh over Princeton
Fordham over Columbia
Pennsylvania over Lafayette
Cornell over Bucknell

Still some folks joining Ken_Z in his Friday fog. The Lehigh and Georgetown contingents, in particular, are a little light at this moment.

CrusaderBob
September 14th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Colgate
Yale
Holy Cross
Princeton
Fordham
Pennsylvania
Cornell

Lehigh Football Nation
September 14th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Fordham over Columbia: Will this game finally get Fordham more coverage in the Post and Daily News?

Worthy of mention that the Daily News actually did carry a blurb on the game (http://www.nypost.com/seven/09132007/sports/fordham_wants_cup_back.htm):

The Liberty Cup game, which will be played Saturday at Jack Coffey Field in The Bronx, was created in remembrance of the tragic events of Sept. 11, 2001. The Cup is awarded to the winner each year.

"What the Cup represents is something that should always be remembered," Columbia coach Norries Wilson said. "Our kids are aware of the reason they're playing for the Liberty Cup, and I'm sure that's a huge part of their efforts to go out and win it and what having the trophy means."

Rams coach Tom Masella, a former New York City fireman, is aware that two former Fordham football players [Nicholas Brandemarti and Kevin Szocik] lost their lives on 9/11.

We're honoring them by playing a football game," Masella said. "Our kids are excited and our student body is excited not only that we're playing Columbia, but what it means in the bigger picture with 9/11 and whom we're honoring.

"I knew a lot of firemen in New York that didn't make it out of there," Masella said. "From that perspective you wish it never happened and we're not playing for a Liberty Cup but playing for some other reason."

Lehigh Football Nation
September 14th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Harvard 31 @ HOLY CROSS 28: the longest moral victory streak in the nation is intact. HC is a team on the rise.

I must say, I think I log in here on Friday's just to see what Ken_Z is going ot say, and again he doesn't disappoint! xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Colgate 21 Dartmouth 13- I don't think it will be easy but i think the Raiders D is strong enough to keep the Big Green wrapped up and Scott should be able to grind out some yards.

Yale 38 Georgetown 14- Yale should be very good and i don't see the Hoya's being able to slow down the Eli's offense

Harvard 28 Holy Cross 24- Holy Cross hasn't really shown the ability to win a game like this. Until they do i'll go with the Crimson in a close one.

Lehigh 28 Princeton 17- Lehigh has to limit their mistakes and play 4 quarters of football. I think Lehigh has a slight talent advantage and Princeton will most likely have a couple first game mistakes. Should be a strong Lehigh following too.

Fordham 31 Columbia 20- Rivarly games are always tough to call but i'll go with the Rams as i think they have a little more talent over the improving Lions.

Lafayette 31 Penn 21- The Pard's finally get over the hump against the Quakers. The ground game will be the difference as will first game jitters by Penn.

Cornell 17 Bucknell 10- I think Bucknell was exposed pretty severly last week against the Dukes. I'll take the Big Red in this one.

ngineer
September 14th, 2007, 12:13 PM
on the road this week. my focus is not what it should be, but i'll give the old college try:

COLGATE 31 @ Dartmouth 14: politically correct Raiders beat up on Big Green avenging insulted Martians everywhere.

Yale 24 @ GEORGETOWN 13: so are there more Georgetown fans on these boards or at the game Saturday?

LEHIGH 13 @ Princeton 14: thirty two more posts on the Lehigh board re Lembo vs. Coen

Columbia 17 @ FORDHAM 14: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, hunh, is it time for lunch? i’ll have the roast lamb.

LAFAYETTE 21 @ Pennsylvania 19: whooda thunk it, KenZ picking the #$&^% *&#!!# spotted Lepers to uphold the honor of the league.

BUCKNELL 17 @ Cornell 21: a late go ahead score for the Bison is negated as Trigg is called for traveling
final tally: Academically Pretentious League 5, Academically Pretentious Wanabees 2

Good ONe!xlolx

ngineer
September 14th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Fisher Field's old facilities were notoriously bad. The Pards dressed out at metzger fields and took buses onto campus. The away team got to visit the bowels of the old gym at the top of the hill.

That was before Kirby..Old Memorial Hall definitely had bowels....;)

Lehigh Football Nation
September 14th, 2007, 01:08 PM
My picks are in... and I'm predicting the Patriot League to go 4-3 against the Fightin' Plants, I mean Ivies.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

ColgateTD
September 14th, 2007, 03:23 PM
colgatetd are you a writer for the daily show

Only on days preceeding Colgate victories!

ColgateTD
September 14th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Penn over Lafayette by 3

137: After Colgate beats Dartmouth by 10 it plays Bucknell and loses by 1?

Better look this over.....xlolx

Engineer91
September 14th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Colgate
Yale
Harvard
Lehigh
Fordham
Penn
Cornell

YaleFootballFan
September 14th, 2007, 07:41 PM

Perhaps they're playing a doubleheader? xlolx

carney2
September 14th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Penn over Lafayette by 3

137: As ColgateTD has stated, we could use some clarification here.

bison137
September 15th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Oops - make that BU over Cornell by 1.

PeacockRaider
September 15th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Almost forgot to make my picks, here is the short version

Colgate @ Dartmouth...Wouldn't suprise me if the Green keep it close but Jordan will be too much Raiders 28-17

Yale @ Georgetown...Was not impressed with the Hoyas last week. Eli 35-10

Harvard @ HC... Still not sold on the crusaders, Crimson 21-17

Lehigh @ Princeton...Lehigh wins a close one 24-21

Columbia @ Fordham...Rams win the battle of NYC 31-10

Lafayette @ UPENN... Recent history says take the Quakers 28-27

Bucknell @ Cornell...Im going with the only true marching band in the Ivy league, Big Red 17-7

bulldog10jw
September 15th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Bucknell @ Cornell...Im going with the only true marching band in the Ivy league, Big Red 17-7

Are you saying that the "YALE - PRECISION - MARCHING - BAND" is a misnomer? xconfusedx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Pard 82
September 16th, 2007, 11:08 PM
COLGATE @ Dartmouth

Yale @ GEORGETOWN

Harvard @ HOLY CROSS

LEHIGH @ Princeton

Columbia @ FORDHAM

LAFAYETTE @ Pennsylvania

BUCKNELL @ Cornell

Anyone else go 7 for 7. Nice week for PL at 5-2. xthumbsupx

Let's go Pards... Whip PU on Saturday. xasswhipx

carney2
September 16th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Anyone else go 7 for 7?

You are the only one. Twelve got 6 out of 7.

TheValleyRaider
September 16th, 2007, 11:39 PM

I'm one of the 12. Darn you Lafayette! xoopsx :p xbowx

Lafayette71
September 17th, 2007, 07:03 AM
I also felt like week three would start to shake things out in the PL, but the more I have thought about the match-ups, the more I realized that it will be tough to guage what the performance of Fordham and Bucknell against Columbia and Cornell will tell us about two of the tougher teams to figure out so far.

Lehigh at Princeton-The Tigers won this game last year in close fashion. Both teams are largely the same. I'll take Princeton in another tight one playing at home.

Harvard at Holy Cross. I don't know what to expect out of Harvard. It seems everyone is picking Yale to run the table in the conference so Harvard's either being overlooked or possibly they're not as strong as they have been in recent years. Holy Cross in a Shootout 38-31.

Columbia at Fordham. How will Columbia respond to the loooong road trip to Face the Rams? Fordham

Lafayette at Penn. Is this the year the Pards break the Curse? I'm taking Lafayette in a homer special. On paper, Penn looks to be the stronger team. Maybe they'll be a a little out of sync offensively in the opener.

Colgate at Dartmouth- Colgate in a walk

Yale at Georgetown. Yale appears to be the class of the Ivies

Bucknell at Cornell-Which Bison team shows up? Cornell gets the nod at home.

6-1 this week, though not all the games played out as I thought. Dartmouth gave Colgate a bit of a scare. I was impressed with the Hoyas. I did not expect that game to be close.

ngineer
September 17th, 2007, 07:22 AM

Where are the results posted?

carney2
September 17th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Where are the results posted?

Not yet. The YTD takes some time, and, all appearances here to the contrary, I have a life. Results will be in The Lounge. I will leave a "note" in the week 4 thread when they are posted.

LBPop
September 17th, 2007, 08:46 AM
all appearances here to the contrary, I have a life.

How dare you? ;)

Seriously, Carney...we all truly appreciate your doing this. Thanks.

PeacockRaider
September 17th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Are you saying that the "YALE - PRECISION - MARCHING - BAND" is a misnomer? xconfusedx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You'll have to take that up with Cornell, it's self proclaimed everytime I've seen them play

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2007, 10:11 AM

That includes me, who only missed one game.... Princeton over Lehigh.. xoopsx

LBPop
September 17th, 2007, 10:53 AM
This was an excellent weekend for the Patriot League and I don't mean just the number of W's. At the risk of falling into the dreaded "Woulda, coulda' shoulda" trap, let me tell you that the league would have been proud of their Hoyas on Saturday. After falling behind 14-0 to the defending Ivy League Champs, the Hoyas came within a yard of tying the game as the clock expired in the first half. Our Georgetown sage, DFW Hoya, tells the story far better than I ever could on his HoyaSaxa site. Here's the link should you be curious.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/football.htm

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM
This was an excellent weekend for the Patriot League and I don't mean just the number of W's. At the risk of falling into the dreaded "Woulda, coulda' shoulda" trap, let me tell you that the league would have been proud of their Hoyas on Saturday. After falling behind 14-0 to the defending Ivy League Champs, the Hoyas came within a yard of tying the game as the clock expired in the first half. Our Georgetown sage, DFW Hoya, tells the story far better than I ever could on his HoyaSaxa site. Here's the link should you be curious.

A pair of goal line stands afforded #21-ranked Yale University a 28-14 win over Georgetown before a sold-out crowd at the Multi-Sport Field Saturday, in a game that won admirers on both sides of the field for the potential of the Georgetown team in the weeks and years to come.

xthumbsupx Awesome that they got a sellout!!!! Anyone went to the game that can offer a feel of the atmosphere there?

carney2
September 17th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the link, LB. This is one of the games that requires more than the final score to fully digest. For those of you who have not yet followed the link to the hoyasaxa site, I heartily recommend doing so. The final stats are a real eye opener. The score apparently does not tell the whole story of just how good a game the Hoyas played. Reminder: Yale was the preseason choice to win it all in the Ivy League.

Pards Rule
September 17th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Congrats to the Hoyas for putting up a stellar effort against the Elis!!

LBPop
September 17th, 2007, 12:01 PM
xthumbsupx Awesome that they got a sellout!!!! Anyone went to the game that can offer a feel of the atmosphere there?

It was a lot of fun on a beautiful Saturday, but let's keep "sellout" in perspective. The total attendance including a substantial number of people wearing Y's on their hats and shirts equaled just about exactly your total number of posts, LFN. The game started with the visiting crowd having a lot of fun and expecting to cheer on a total blowout--then suddenly things got very quiet over there as the first half continued. Then, if you read the account by DFW, the half ended with a bunch of Georgetown people very angry and a bunch of Yale fans, coaches and players running off the field like they were trying to avoid getting caught by security after shoplifting a Lacoste shirt. xlolx

The Georgetown faithful were proud of the kids' effort, but I am happy to say that the players and coaches were obviously tired of "moral victories" and ready to finally experience the real thing. I have no idea which Georgetown team will show up in Worcester this Saturday, but if both teams play as they did this past Saturday, it will be a terrific game to watch. I can assure you that there will be at least two fans on the visitors' side of Fitton.

Pards Rule
September 17th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Go Hoyas this Saturday!!

ngineer
September 17th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Boy, if "The Rocks" stone the Crusaders, that would be a 'shot heard round the PL'...not all that far-fetched,either.;)

colorless raider
September 17th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Go Hoyas this Saturday!!

the "colorless" one also says Go Hoyas!! beat the Cross.

breezy
September 17th, 2007, 06:21 PM
You can tell you are moving up in the world when other teams in the league feel the need to root so vigorously for your opponent.

Go Holy Cross!

Andy
September 17th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Just because LBPop is such a darn likeable guy, I hope Hoyas win out. xsmiley_wix GO HOYAS!!