PDA

View Full Version : UConn/Maine Game-couple of pic's

KAUMASS
September 9th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I attended the UMaine-UConn game last night. Maine's defense played well in the first half except for giving up a touchdown with about 10 seconds. UConn drove about 74 yards with under 2 minutes to score in that late drive. Maine's defense was worn down and tired in the second half as they were on the field quite a bit and Maine's offense sputtered all night and did not do much at all. UConn's defense looked impressive and fast, and UConn's QB is a good player-a transfer from Iowa St to a juco to UConn. Deceptive running speed for a guy 6-5, 230.

UConn's stadium is nice, but very loud. Not crowd loud, but the sound system was too loud to the point it was uncomfortable. Attendence was about 35K, as the stadium seats 41k. I was sitting at field level too, away from the speakers. My ears are still ringing this morning. My first game attended at UConn's Rentschler field, any my second game won't be untill UMass/UConn game in 2012.

If any AGS'r play UConn in the coming years, I would suggest bringing earplugs or a radio headset to block out the noise.

Overall, Maine played respectively through midway through the 3rd quarter, except for a loose ball thrown on Maine's opening drive which was returned for a td on the second play of the game. Maine's defense stuffed UConn's opening drive when they were ahead 7-0. Maine's defense also stuffed UConn's opening drive to start the second half, down 17-0. Maine could not get anything going on offense, and depth became an an obvious factor late in the 3rd quarter.

UConn should be competitive in the big east this year. They did lose a starting senior linebacker late in the 3rd period to a knee injury, which looked like he could be lost for the season. The score was 31-0. Edsall kept his starting kids that late, which I questioned. Maine looked banged up a bit, but no major injuries that I saw. I left in the 4th quarter.

Maine certainly has a quality defense again for the CAA this year, and if their offense starts to click they will a tough CAA opponent again this year. Maine played 2 qb's, #15 and #7. #7 made a few more things happen last night, but I don't know if Maine is going to use a qb rotation or not this year.

Good luck to Maine the rest of the year, except for the UMass game.

appfan2008
September 9th, 2007, 12:16 PM
nice pics... i thought maine had a better shot and a better team then they showed on saturday

KAUMASS
September 9th, 2007, 12:47 PM
nice pics... i thought maine had a better shot and a better team then they showed on saturday

If there offense played well, it would have been a closer game. I can't say at the moment if UConn's D was that good or Maine's offense is below average. I sat next to a Maine fan and they said their offense struggled last week against Monmouth. Maine didn't get a first down until late in the second period against UConn. Maine's D was on the field most of the night.

bainsey
September 9th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I can't say at the moment if UConn's D was that good or Maine's offense is below average.

Not to take anything away from UConn's defense, but a number of Maine fans are really down on the offense, or more specifically, the lack of a passing game. I don't know if we have inability in our quarterbacks, receivers, or a combination thereof. I just know that we can't do squat in the CAA without an air attack.

KAUMASS
September 9th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Not to take anything away from UConn's defense, but a number of Maine fans are really down on the offense, or more specifically, the lack of a passing game. I don't know if we have inability in our quarterbacks, receivers, or a combination thereof. I just know that we can't do squat in the CAA without an air attack.

I agree. Maybe the kinks will be worked out after 2 OOC games. It appeared that Cosgrove didn't want to throw much against UConn. Wether the interception for the td in the beginning of the game influenced that decision or not, I cannot say.

ccd494
September 9th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I agree. Maybe the kinks will be worked out after 2 OOC games. It appeared that Cosgrove didn't want to throw much against UConn. Wether the interception for the td in the beginning of the game influenced that decision or not, I cannot say.

It's not like he threw against Monmouth either... I thought a lot of the issue was Whitcomb having rocks for brains, but apparently that wasn't it.