PDA

View Full Version : Biddle to Stay @ Colgate "As long as Colgate wants me".

colgate13
August 31st, 2005, 08:43 AM
Man are we lucky. Great article (http://www.uticaod.com/archive/2005/08/31/sports/3138.html) on Biddle's tenure here.

Dick Biddle's office reflects the man: sparse, functional, a little dark. At once, a visitor feels nervous and secure. The conversation is direct and to the point, yet one senses the Colgate football coach is analyzing every word. No baloney, innuendo or arrogance will be tolerated.

Biddle has earned that right. Nine straight winning seasons prove that the formula works, even if Biddle feels the Raiders often don't get the credit they deserve.

"I think there's a lot of people who don't respect what has been done here," said the 57-year-old native of Parkersburg, W.Va. "Colgate was 0-11 in 1995 (the year before Biddle took over), and we're 31-8 in the last three years. There's not many teams in 1-A or 1-AA who have won that many games, but you wouldn't know it."

He ends with:

"I don't think we've had a bad team since I've been around here. And as long as Colgate wants me, I'll coach at Colgate. Hopefully, they want me."

GannonFan
August 31st, 2005, 08:49 AM
Was there a chance he was leaving? At 57, I can't imagine there were a lot of great opportunities out there, and I think Biddle is a very good coach. While his teams are always good, the lack of a lot of playoff success probably helps to keep Colgate further below the radar than they deserve. The 40-0 championship loss, while understandable as well, doesn't help either. Like I said, a very good coach who has set up a very good program.

Marcus Garvey
August 31st, 2005, 08:50 AM
Duke screwed up royally by not seriously considering Biddle. Ted Roof won a couple of games and the players (understandably) jumped on his bandwagon, which was enough for the administration.

If there's any justice in this world, Duke will come crawling to Biddle in about 3 years begging him to become their head coach.

Pard94
August 31st, 2005, 11:18 AM
I hear Biddle is almost as good as Coach Heffner at Lafayette!

Go...gate
August 31st, 2005, 11:46 AM
No way Biddle goes. He saved the program and he deserves to finish his career at Colgate.

colgate13
August 31st, 2005, 12:04 PM
We all thought Biddle was going to go to Duke when that came open last year. Now that they snubbed him, I think he's written them off and is going to decide to ride out into the sunset here. His wife came back from Duke (she got a job there the year before the opening) so I can't see why he won't stay.

It's just good to hear he's taken Duke out of his equation. His standard response used to be the only place other than Colgate he'd work is Duke. Now, it's just Colgate.

At 57, he can easily coach another 8 years or more if he wants, and knowing his disposition, he doesn't seem like the early retirement type. I'm just surpised more schools haven't come knocking. I know Cornell tried and got sent back with their tails between their legs. But with that kind of success, and his I-A experience, I would have thought more I-A schools of Duke's ilk would have come calling.

Marcus Garvey
August 31st, 2005, 12:07 PM
At 57, he can easily coach another 8 years or more if he wants, and knowing his disposition, he doesn't seem like the early retirement type. I'm just surpised more schools haven't come knocking. I know Cornell tried and got sent back with their tails between their legs. But with that kind of success, and his I-A experience, I would have thought more I-A schools of Duke's ilk would have come calling.

I think that I-A schools are a little skittish about Patriot/Ivy League coaches making the jump directly to I-A. The two most recent coaches to try it crashed in spectacular fashion: Mark Duffner from Holy Cross to Maryland; and Buddy Teevans from Dartmouth to Tulane.

Ivytalk
August 31st, 2005, 12:35 PM
Long-term I-AA coaches are true teachers as well. Add Biddle to the list of Raymond, Cozza, Laycock, Restic etc.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2005, 04:29 PM
"I think there's a lot of people who don't respect what has been done here," said the 57-year-old native of Parkersburg, W.Va. "Colgate was 0-11 in 1995 (the year before Biddle took over), and we're 31-8 in the last three years. There's not many teams in 1-A or 1-AA who have won that many games, but you wouldn't know it."

(One is Lehigh.... ;) )

I agree 100% with Coach Biddle. However, Colgate has no respect problems from Lehigh or other PL schools. I still remember the ass whuppin' from 2002 where you came down and whomped us good.

IMO, it usually takes 8-10 years to really get the respect after winning consistently.

I also don't think it's fair to judge Colgate over their loss in the 2003 Championship game. A lot of good teams (SIU, for example) got whomped by Delaware that year, and they also beat some pretty damn good teams in UMass, WIU and Florida Atlantic.

ngineer
August 31st, 2005, 08:02 PM
Congratulations. I've always seen Biddle as a real 'players' coach who gives a kick in the ass when needed, but is always there for them, as well. Also a good motivator. When you have a good coach at our level, you're always concerned about losing him to I-A (or the NFL ;) ). Those that turn down the big bucks and devote themselves to 'their' programs provide a nice consistency that is a strong plus for recruiting. It also comes down to the personal makeup of the coach as what they need and from what do they get satisfaction.