PDA

View Full Version : UNI knocks off iowa state!!!!

FCSFAN
September 8th, 2007, 09:14 PM
24-13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go Panthers!!!!!!!!!! xnodx

mainejeff
September 8th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Congrats! xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
Three...

1) Iowa State (UNI)
2) Rice (Nicholls)
3) Michigan (AppSt)

Big Ten. Big XII. C-USA.

Seawolf97
I love itxnodx xnodx

slostang
September 8th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Way to go UNI.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Way to represent the FCS.

CopperCat
September 8th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Nice game UNI!!! Congrats to you guys!!!

FCS has done pretty well against FBS the past two weekends. Maybe people will start to notice us a bit more now.xnodx xnodx xnodx

Grizalltheway
September 8th, 2007, 09:26 PM
xbowx xbowx xbowx xhypedx xhypedx

ElonPride
September 8th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Congrats UNI!!!!!!!!!

FCS schools seem to be playing the FBS teams REALLY TOUGH this season. The team Elon gave fits last week (South Florida) is currently beating #17 Auburn.

Great win for UNI!!!!!

mistersykes
September 8th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Congrats go out to the Gateway tonight! SIU and UNI pull off FBS upsets! Y'all represent the FCS very well!xthumbsupx

89rabbit
September 8th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Congrats Panthers, see you in Brookings next Saturday. xthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
September 8th, 2007, 09:45 PM
WTG UNI! xthumbsupx xhurrayx

ShowMeBear2
September 8th, 2007, 09:48 PM
. Iowa 24, Iowa St. 13
Associated Press, Updated 21 minutes ago STORY TOOLS:

print
send
blog LIKE THIS STORY?

AMES, Iowa (AP) - Eric Sanders passed for two touchdowns and ran for another and Northern Iowa kept Iowa State winless under new coach Gene Chizik with a 24-13 victory Saturday night.

Northern Iowa (2-0), a member of the Football Championship Subdivision, looked much stronger and sharper than its Big 12 opponent, which coughed up four turnovers and rarely established any consistency on offense.
And while the outcome won't rock the nation in the manner of Appalachian State's upset of Michigan, it was still satisfying for the Panthers, who ended a five-game losing streak to Iowa State (0-2) in front of the largest crowd ever at ISU, 56,795.

Chizik was the defensive coordinator on undefeated teams at Texas and Auburn, but he's now finding how the other half lives as the Cyclones struggle to adjust to his system.

His defense had no answer for Sanders, who found openings in ISU's secondary all night while completing 23 of 29 passes for 180 yards and no interceptions. He had touchdown throws of 10 yards to Johnny Gray and 5 yards to Victor Williams and scored on an 8-yard run.

Corey Lewis helped keep the Panthers moving with 130 yards rushing in 19 carries.

Northern Iowa capitalized on an interception and fumble in building a 17-6 halftime lead, then made it 24-6 when Sanders sprinted around left end behind Gray's block to score midway through the fourth quarter.

Iowa State, which rallied from a 21-7 deficit to beat Northern Iowa 28-27 last year, pulled to 24-13 on J.J. Bass' 1-yard TD run with 7:24 left. But the Cyclones never got past the Northern Iowa 30 after that and their final possession ended in an interception.

Bret Meyer, Iowa State's career passing leader, finished 27 of 43 for 255 yards with two interceptions and scored a touchdown. He was replaced for one series in the third quarter by redshirt freshman Austen Arnaud, then returned to finish the game.

Meyer drove the Cyclones to the Northern Iowa 30 on the game's first series, then threw an ill-advised pass. He sidearmed the ball under pressure and Brannon Carter picked it off, returning it to the ISU 43.

The Cyclones held and Northern Iowa settled for a 3-0 lead on Billy Hallgren's 31-yard field goal.

Iowa State answered with a 14-play, 75-yard drive that Meyer finished with a 1-yard TD run, thanks in part to a timely shove from 231-pound fullback Brian Ekwelundu. The Cyclones then forced a three-and-out but gave the ball right back when Zac Sandvig had the ball jarred loose after fielding a punt.

Northern Iowa's Curtis Meier recovered at the ISU 15. Three plays later, Sanders scrambled to his left to avoid the rush and hit Gray in the end zone from 5 yards out. It was 10-6 Panthers and they had only 52 yards of offense.

advertisement

STORY TOOLS:

print
send
blog LIKE THIS STORY?

They soon had quite a few more.

Taking over at their own 31 after ISU's Bret Culbertson missed a 49-yard field goal attempt, Sanders kept picking away at the defense with short passes and took the Panthers on an 18-play, 69-yard touchdown drive that lasted more than 8 1/2 minutes.

Sanders converted four times on third down - three completions and a run - before facing fourth-and-2 at the ISU 5. Coach Mark Farley called timeout to think it over, then passed on the field goal attempt and Sanders came through with a touchdown strike to Williams, who beat Chris Singleton on a slant pattern for a 17-6 lead.

Proud Griz Man
September 8th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Congratulations on the big Win UNI Panthers !!! xthumbsupx

Cap'n Cat
September 8th, 2007, 09:57 PM
UNI!!

UNI!!

UNI!!

UNI!!

UNI!!

UNI!!

Victory for UNI AND FCS!!!!!!

xnodx xnodx xnodx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Zoo
September 8th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Nice game UNI!!! Congrats to you guys!!!

FCS has done pretty well against FBS the past two weekends. Maybe people will start to notice us a bit more now.xnodx xnodx xnodx

As much as I'd love to agree with you there, people won't still really take notice and they'll still refer to us as Division II programs.

Anyways, congrats Northern Iowa!

Cap'n Cat
September 8th, 2007, 10:10 PM
As much as I'd love to agree with you there, people won't still really take notice and they'll still refer to us as Division II programs.

Anyways, congrats Northern Iowa!

Thanks, Mr. Positive!!!!!

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx :D :D :D :D :D :D xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

xcoffeex

T-Dog
September 8th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Maybe people will start to notice us a bit more now.xnodx xnodx xnodx

I hate to disagree but we beat one of the premier programs in the FBS and people STILL call us D-2.

Unless we start beating teams like SoCal, Ohio State, Penn State, Florida regurally, it isn't going to happen.

Again my congrats to UNI and SIU. Dismantling the oppresive establishment one brick at a time.

Hansel
September 8th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Iowa State should drop football and concentrate on tailgating- they are much better at the latter

birdsflyhigh
September 8th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Congrats out to Panther Nation!! Fantastic win for the UNI program, and the Gateway keeps looking like the premier FCS conference. VERY COOL!xcoolx

appfan2008
September 8th, 2007, 10:22 PM
way to go uni... a much deserved w tonight

dbackjon
September 8th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Congrats UNI!!

skinny_uncle
September 8th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Congrats, Panthers!
xthumbsupx

ngineer
September 8th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Way to go UNI!xthumbsupx

Go Bison
September 8th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Great Job UNI! A nice win for FCS and the Gateway Conference.

Griz0383
September 8th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Great job UNI! Another FBS team bites the dust! Just wish some of these DII schools would take it easy on the FCS teams! show some mercy!

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Way to go UNI! Nice to see you guys finish off the Cyclones this time!

RadMann
September 8th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Congrats to UNI fans!!

proasu89
September 8th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Sweeeet!

GGASU
September 8th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Great job UNI!!

I am down in Disney, and ran into a guy with a UNI hat on before the game. We talked FCS football for a few minutes.....Great Game ...way to take it to them! xbowx xbowx

boonedocks
September 8th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Congrats UNI!!!!!!!

PantherRob82
September 8th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Great times in Ames tonight. Might try and organize a last minute trip to Brookings! Have to find someone to work for me.

SiouxFallsJack
September 8th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Congrats UNI and see you in Brookings next week!!xthumbsupx

Reed Rothchild
September 8th, 2007, 11:52 PM
It seriously wasn't even a game. UNI dominated in absolutely every phase of the game tonight. I have NEVER seen a Panther team dominate ISU like this. Truly a special night for Panther fans!

Kill'em
September 8th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Great win for UNI! xhurrayx

igo4uni
September 9th, 2007, 12:05 AM
I just got back from Ames. What a great game!! A beautiful night and a record crowd on hand and UNI sticks it to Iowa State!!

Woo Hoo!!

Reed Rothchild
September 9th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I just got back from Ames. What a great game!! A beautiful night and a record crowd on hand and UNI sticks it to Iowa State!!

Woo Hoo!!

Wish I could have had a beer with you!!xthumbsupx

igo4uni
September 9th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Wish I could have had a beer with you!!xthumbsupx

You know it Matt...........igo4uni is having a celebratory beverage!!

Reed Rothchild
September 9th, 2007, 12:12 AM
You know it Matt...........igo4uni is having a celebratory beverage!!

Me too!!! xbeerchugx

JBB
September 9th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Good win!!!

AggieFinn
September 9th, 2007, 01:46 AM
'bout time! What took y'all so long? xlolx xlolx xlolx Alright Panthers!