PDA

View Full Version : Upset Brewing In Statesboro

Jerbearasu
September 8th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Just tuned into the Ga. Southern radio broadcast and found out Division 2 West Georgia is beating the Eagles 21-10 closing in on the end of the half. Hatch attack seems to be getting off to a rocky start. If the season goes south from here will GSU fans call for Chris Hatcher's head ala BVG???

T-Dog
September 8th, 2007, 06:35 PM
This sounds like a familiar script, except playing the part of "Deleware St" is West Georgia.

Hope they can turn it around in the 2nd half.

soulraptor
September 8th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I do not think that would be the case. Last years was not a rebuilding year. BVG completely destroyed the GSU football program. He crapped on the players, the fans, the school, and the area. Hatcher IS having to rebuild a program that was dismantled, and abandoned.

This is a young team, with a lot of learning to do. If we have a losing record again, I believe everyone understands this, and if they don't, they do not understand the game. I figure it will take two to three years for the program to recover and contend again. I and others will gladly wait for that day to come.

I am hoping that the team will settle down in the second half, and come away with the win. xbeerchugx

youwouldno
September 8th, 2007, 06:47 PM
GSU fans were mostly predicting a big win. Oops.

soulraptor
September 8th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I just wanted a win, didn't have to be big.

So much for momentum, we have a fumble.

T-Dog
September 8th, 2007, 07:14 PM
West GA has outpassed GaSo 197 to 37 so far.

Foster runs 56 yards for a TD, 21-17/ Come on Eagles! Don't be another UTC.

thirdgendin
September 8th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I see the GSU has taken a 24-21 lead near the end of the third quarter.

Is anyone else having trouble with Georgia Southern's live stats?

soulraptor
September 8th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I see the GSU has taken a 24-21 lead near the end of the third quarter.

Is anyone else having trouble with Georgia Southern's live stats?

Live stats are crap for me too. score is now 31-21. xthumbsupx

soulraptor
September 8th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Touchdown GSU! Foster (74 yard run) GSU has 450 yards on the ground total. 45-21 6:21 to go in game.

brownbear
September 8th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Wow, 35 points in the 2nd half. That's a big turnaround

soulraptor
September 8th, 2007, 08:00 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens next week. I am hopeful that the first quarter was working out the kinks, and shaking the jitters. I think a game like this where they have had to come back from a poor 1st half, will do them good the rest of the season.
Attendance 21,489

soulraptor
September 8th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Its a wrap 45-21. Foster ran for 231 yards and passed for 124 yards.

thirdgendin
September 8th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Great recovery by the Eagles. Congrats on the win.

Mountaineer
September 8th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Nice job representin' Eagles! xbowx Glad you didn't pull another Chatty for the SoCon. :p Awesome attendance and what a day for Foster. xeekx

CopperCat
September 8th, 2007, 09:14 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens next week. I am hopeful that the first quarter was working out the kinks, and shaking the jitters. I think a game like this where they have had to come back from a poor 1st half, will do them good the rest of the season.
Attendance 21,489

xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

That's AWESOME GSU fans!!!! Keep that number up there and you'll be challenging all the top FCS teams for attendance.

Congrats on the win as well. I was wondering about this game, but ya'll pulled it out.xthumbsupx Chalk up another "W" for my favorite SoCon team!!!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 8th, 2007, 09:23 PM
We still did a terrible job of catching tonight...we are going to have to work on that. Other than that, the O looks very good. Thank goodness Coastal and SDSU won't be as good as they were last year. Can't complain about a 35-0 second half shutout I guess.

Peems
September 8th, 2007, 09:24 PM

He is definitely one of the top, if not the top player in the SoCon.

GaSouthern
September 8th, 2007, 09:32 PM
We survived (i'm drinking to i'm sorry about my spelling) and I am not sure how this season will turn out but I Think we can expect six wins still to close out the season, playfoffs would be nice though, now lets roll up coastal now wthat our offsenese is clicking. THE PARTY IS ON IN THE BORO NO MORE 0-5 LOSING STREAK!

bobbythekidd
September 8th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Just got back, and I thought his performance tonight my have been the worst I've seen. Not doggin the guy, he just never seemed to go the right way. Boy, just watch out if you stack the box, and miss a block though! It's off to the races!

Not as good as I had hoped for, but I think there is more to this story. Keeping the playbook shut till we need it. That's my hope, anyway.

lizrdgizrd
September 8th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Nice turnaround, GSU! xthumbsupx

ysubigred
September 8th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Wow almost a shocker xeekx Great rebound GSU xthumbsupx

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 8th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Just tuned into the Ga. Southern radio broadcast and found out Division 2 West Georgia is beating the Eagles 21-10 closing in on the end of the half. Hatch attack seems to be getting off to a rocky start. If the season goes south from here will GSU fans call for Chris Hatcher's head ala BVG???

Why do people make sarcastic comments about how we got upset over BVG? If you had a coach who came swaggering into your team's town talking big, made a lot of quesitonable and controversial changes, changed your proven offensive scheme and picked a less than prolific ex-sunbelt offensive coordinator to run it, and turned an 8-3 team into a 3-8 team, you'd be mad too, and I'd expect no less from anyone else in the FCS that has a decent winning tradition.

gophoenix
September 8th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Why do people make sarcastic comments about how we got upset over BVG? If you had a coach who came swaggering into your team's town talking big, made a lot of quesitonable and controversial changes, changed your proven offensive scheme and picked a less than prolific ex-sunbelt offensive coordinator to run it, and turned an 8-3 team into a 3-8 team, you'd be mad too, and I'd expect no less from anyone else in the FCS that has a decent winning tradition.

Don't worry, the same people doing this about BVG are the ones that laughed and poked fun about that idiot that we hired: Paul Hamilton. He took a bad team and made them absolutely terrible.

Kill'em
September 9th, 2007, 12:23 AM
If BVG was still the coach, we would have lost. The big difference is that Hatch and his staff made adjustments while BVG wouldn't have. Hatch also let Foster throw the ball; a couple of those throws were beautiful. The pass to McIntosh was perfect. The defense didn't play too badly. West GA got their yards but they earned them. Their QB might be as good as any we will see all year. No matter how much pressure we put on him, and believe me, he was running for his life, he made plays. The line got pressure, the backs had decent coverage but the tackling needs work. We let too many escape. If we can improve each week we will be tough to beat.

By the way, atwo of the touchdowns came from true-freshman, Zeke Rozier. Remember his name, SoCon. You will hear a lot of it for four years.

T-Dog
September 9th, 2007, 12:27 AM
If BVG was still the coach, we would have lost. years.

I have a feeling this sentiment is being echoed all over TSCsports.

ASU
September 9th, 2007, 01:11 AM

U R right....the proverbial 6th grader could have probably taken the team that U had and won 6 to 8 games. He must have been really stuck on himself + stupid.

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2007, 01:13 AM
just like to say that I was the only one saying UWG would keep it close :)

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Their QB might be as good as any we will see all year.

You have heard of Armanti Edwards, right? Not too shabby of a QB.

blueballs
September 9th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I was at the game and a few points need to be mentioned:

-WG was game and played very well- probably over their heads,

- GSU shot themselves in the foot several times in the 1st half, and showed first game sloppiness and jitters,

- If GSU doesn't rush the passer better than they did last night it will be a problem in conference play,

- GSU had three trips inside the redzone produce only 3 points and had a special teams TD called back so it could have been much much worse,

- GSU will be able to run the ball on anybody. Foster+Lewis+Hamilton+Rozier+ 4 SR's on o-line= good rushing attack,

-GSU wore down WG early in the 2nd half and could have named the score,

- Foster's performance last night cemented the legacy of VanRichardCranium and Hinshaw as the dumbest coaches in college football,

- Travis Clark probably won't play a meaningful down for GSU the rest of his career, I just hope he doesn't become a cancer,

- GSU ran a very vanilla defensive scheme and played pretty close to the vest offensively,

- the tributes to Coach Russell were very nice and classy,

- Quentin Taylor (MLB) is a player,

- the improvements to the stadium are really nice,

- the trip to CCU this coming week will give us all a better idea of what exactly we have.

GaSouthern
September 9th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Just wanted to point out we were 130 yards shy of the all time offensive record.

We had OVER 600 YARDS on OFFENSE!!!

Tiananmen Bear
September 9th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Short of a major scandal, if GSU fans call for Hatcher's head at any point then they are the FCS equivalent of the delusional 'Bama fan base. That guy is damn good, and if GSU is lucky enough to keep him for a few years, he'll have them in national title contention. I don't know if it's safe to guarantee winning one, but given the school's tradition and locale it's an easy pitch to make as a coach, and when he gets the players in there, you're not going to find many coaches who can do more with it than he.

One rocky half with the BVG pu pu platter against a coach who has seen plenty of Hatcher's teams through the years is definitely nothing to worry about.

Kill'em
September 9th, 2007, 12:10 PM
You have heard of Armanti Edwards, right? Not too shabby of a QB.

The guy we faced last night was a great passer. He stayed poised even though we had pressure on him. He would hold the ball until the last second before throwing a bullet and hit his receivers between the numbers. And he gained quite a few yards running despite having a big brace on his left knee due to his tearing the knee up last season.

mrklean
September 9th, 2007, 09:30 PM
NO UPSET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!

flexbone
September 10th, 2007, 12:31 PM
over 400 yards rushing brought tears to my eyes.

pete4256
September 10th, 2007, 04:08 PM
The guy we faced last night was a great passer. He stayed poised even though we had pressure on him. He would hold the ball until the last second before throwing a bullet and hit his receivers between the numbers. And he gained quite a few yards running despite having a big brace on his left knee due to his tearing the knee up last season.

He was fantastic, wasn't he? I was impressed by his ability and his guts.

Jerbearasu
September 10th, 2007, 04:33 PM

I honestly wasn't being sarcastic. I just felt a D2 school beating GSU would be a lot worse than any of the losses in the BVG era. I personally don't think you should have ever gotten rid of Sewak. There were some very vocal (it may have only been a few but they were vocal) opponents to Sewak that led to his firing and then Van Gorder happened right after that. My only point was that your fans do jump on your coaches after one bad year. I think everyone knew the Triple Option would be gone eventually but it was still working at the time. I am sorry if I seemed sarcastic in my first statement, just wondering if the team was 3-8 again with this being Foster's last year will you give Hatcher the benefit of the doubt.

Kill'em
September 10th, 2007, 07:15 PM
The reason folks got onto Sewak was the team seemingly underachieved, especially in the post season (for the record, I am still a big Sewak fan). It is well-documented what happened with you-know-who. He earned our wrath. He blamed everyone but himself for those losses.
Truth is, I don't think Hatcher will have the same results with this team y-k-w did. The kids love to play for Hatcher, they didn't with y-k-w.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 10th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I honestly wasn't being sarcastic. I just felt a D2 school beating GSU would be a lot worse than any of the losses in the BVG era. I personally don't think you should have ever gotten rid of Sewak. There were some very vocal (it may have only been a few but they were vocal) opponents to Sewak that led to his firing and then Van Gorder happened right after that. My only point was that your fans do jump on your coaches after one bad year. I think everyone knew the Triple Option would be gone eventually but it was still working at the time. I am sorry if I seemed sarcastic in my first statement, just wondering if the team was 3-8 again with this being Foster's last year will you give Hatcher the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think anyone would say fire the coach if we had just lost to a D2 school. Seeing how well D2s have been able to compete with FCS teams, I don't think that that one loss means losing 8 games in a season.

Also, normally I wouldn't think GSU fans would call for the coach being fired but BVG is an exception for the reasons that I mentioned. I seriously doubt that we will be 3-8 this year given that we have an easier schedule and that the offensive coaches we have this year are a lot more competent.

And I was kind of on the fence with Sewak. I think that we are better off with Hatcher but I definitly think Sewak was better than Tim Stowers (our coach from 1990-1995). Sewak would get too conservative in the big games (with the exception of the first half or so of the '05 Texas State game). You saw this if you went to the App-GSU game in 2005.

Jerbearasu
September 10th, 2007, 09:34 PM
You saw this if you went to the App-GSU game in 2005.

I'm sure you meant 04 but I have been able to completely block that game out of my mind... Selective amnesia I suppose...

GaSouthern
September 11th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I'm sure you meant 04 but I have been able to completely block that game out of my mind... Selective amnesia I suppose...

I'm sure every fan of a SoCon team must have this to stay sane from season to season.

Eaglesrus
September 11th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I don't think anyone would say fire the coach if we had just lost to a D2 school.

Well, I would think it would be extremely few, but there are those.....There was an older gentleman (and I say that being in my
mid-50s) next to us that got up and left at halftime saying he wouldn't be back, and it seemed that he meant the rest of the season. Wonder what he's thinking now?

Kill'em
September 11th, 2007, 06:31 PM

I think he mean '05. We weren't running very well on your defense and after Smiley threw the interception on his first pass, Sewak only called three more pass plays after that. That was even after Foster replaced Smiley. I can honestly say Sewak was playing not to lose. He did anyway.

Laserlips
September 12th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Well, I would think it would be extremely few, but there are those.....There was an older gentleman (and I say that being in my
mid-50s) next to us that got up and left at halftime saying he wouldn't be back, and it seemed that he meant the rest of the season. Wonder what he's thinking now?

That's the bad news...

The GOOD news is that there will be one more available seat for a real GSU fan!

J. Pomeroy

eaglesrthe1
September 12th, 2007, 11:03 AM

I had a fella sitting next to me that did the same thing. I bet that he was sorry he left when he seen the score.

proasu89
September 12th, 2007, 07:48 PM

Good riddance. Don't ya just love sitting next to / or near the wannabe coach and have to hear how he would run the program. Criticizes every play that doesn't result in a first down or bitches when the other team makes a play.xnonono2x xoopsx xnonox xmadx

FCS Go!
September 12th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Good riddance. Don't ya just love sitting next to / or near the wannabe coach and have to hear how he would run the program. Criticizes every play that doesn't result in a first down or bitches when the other team makes a play.xnonono2x xoopsx xnonox xmadx

Yes! Yes! Yes! I hate that! STFU or GTHO!

Kill'em
September 12th, 2007, 08:47 PM

I've seen too many of those. xnonono2x

blueballs
September 13th, 2007, 09:13 AM
They are all over the home side but not so much in my section (D) because Doc and Art both are two rows behind me, so there are three of us who won't put up with it.

My wife went to the concession stand at halftime the other night (we needed ice for the Cabo Wabo) and when she came back she said there was a mass exodus from the home side.

straightshooter
September 13th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Yea, those were the part time fan locals heading home to watch Georgia lose to SC on TV.

SoCon48
September 13th, 2007, 09:37 AM

Very annoying in KBS. Haven't heard many of them lately. Peeps would like at them like they're crazy.

trusty
September 13th, 2007, 09:45 AM

That is where GSU has the most depth, we have at least 3,500 coaches backing up Hatcher.xthumbsupx