PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable AP poll changes rule because of ASU

GGASU
September 6th, 2007, 04:53 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070906/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_t25_ap_poll_app_state;_ylt=AtQVgCEi2DNjnSe.4ab r3lcLMxIF

WOW xbowx xbowx

Mountaineer
September 6th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Pretty amazing - that's for sure. xeekx

AP poll to allow lower-division teams

NEW YORK (AP) -- After pulling off one of the greatest upsets in college football history, Appalachian State is still shaking things up.

The Associated Press said Thursday that lower-division schools -- that means you, Mountaineers -- are now eligible for its 71-year-old poll.

"It's great they opened the door," Appalachian State coach Jerry Moore said. "Certainly we're not going to be the No. 1 team in the country. We know that. We're not even going to be in the top 10. But if you have a win over a nice football team, I like that it's not out of the realm of possibility for a school like us to be one of the top 20 or 25 teams in the country."

Several AP voters expressed interest in putting Appalachian State on their ballots after a shocking 34-32 upset at then-No. 5 Michigan last weekend. But the poll guidelines, which mirrored the coaches' rankings conducted by USA Today, limited eligibility to teams competing in the former NCAA Division I-A, now known as the Football Bowl Subdivision.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/09/06/appoll.change.ap/index.html

Ivytalk
September 6th, 2007, 04:58 PM
That's a bold, intellectually honest move.xtwocentsx

mistersykes
September 6th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I'm very surprised at this news! But what an opportunity, not just for us at App, but for the FCS in general! Now all we need is some votes. ;)

Lehigh Football Nation
September 6th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I think this move by the AP will have seismic effects that we have just begun to contemplate.

It truly is a ceiling that has been broken by the FCS schools. Division I schools. All of a sudden, people look at FCS and say, hey, they compete for a Division I championship.

I'm completely serious. The Appalachian State win has forced the FBS world to take notice.

MSUBear42
September 6th, 2007, 05:13 PM
WOW!! That's cool!

travelinman67
September 6th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Pretty amazing - that's for sure. xeekx
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/09/06/appoll.change.ap/index.html

Step in the right direction, but so long as writers/analysts dismiss the double standard (as in the case of the USA Today writer's Giglio's annnouncement they would not change their rules) with....

...As Giglio pointed out, the Football Championship Subdivision has its own poll (Appalachian State was a unanimous choice at No. 1) and a playoff system to determine its champion (the Mountaineers have won the last two titles).

...without addressing the HUGE disparity in media coverage of the two divisions (completely IGNORING FCS by some outlets), then the battle needs to continue. Had Appy picked up a mid-major, or even another top 25 school, I wonder if ALL (emphasis added) the writers would give them a fair shake in the poll?

Haven't always been a big supporter of the AP poll in the past (horrible about knee-jerking in the "media market" favorites, i.e.,USC, ND, etc...), but my hats off to them for this change.

saint0917
September 6th, 2007, 05:21 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070906/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_t25_ap_poll_app_state;_ylt=AtQVgCEi2DNjnSe.4ab r3lcLMxIF

WOW xbowx xbowx

That's great. Just don't lose this weekend to Lenoir-Rhyne. ;)

patssle
September 6th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Its a great move...

BUT

When will we ever see a FCS team (besides the here and now) break into the top 25? They would have to do what App did...beat a ranked school. Obviously...that dosn't happen often. This rule has changed...but it may not be applied for 10, 20, or more years. Or it could happen next year...you never know...

Go...gate
September 6th, 2007, 05:22 PM
They did the right thing.

BlueHen86
September 6th, 2007, 05:24 PM
That's great. My first thought is what will the UNC writer on the 'UNC whiner thread' say when App. St. in ranked ahead on UNC all year?

Even if App St. is only ranked 25th, they are still ranked. Many sports reports only give the scores for local teams and the top 25. App. St. will be mentioned a lot more - assuming of course that they get ranked and stay there, neither are a given.

No_Skill
September 6th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I'm speachless. This is a huge step in the right direction.

Can you imagine your team ranked in the top 25 in the AP poll? xthumbsupx

youwouldno
September 6th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I understand the positive feelings many FCS fans will have with regard to this change. But I do not understand it. In fact, I think on some level it really is a slap at the FCS, albeit unintentional. Division I football is divided into 2 parts and those subdivisions operate under different rules and exist in a different financial paradigm (though there is some overlap).

To judge FCS teams on the basis of FBS football is completely fallacious because there is not a level field of competition. App and many other FCS teams have won in spite of the 22-scholarship/always on the road disadvantage. Even if an AP voter thinks App St is say, roughly equal to TCU and deserving a rank around 20, the logical result is that App remains underrated because they did more with less.

TheValleyRaider
September 6th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Eh, I'm actually not a huge fan of this move xcoffeex

It strikes me very much as a "pat ourselves on the back" kind of move by the media. They can take a couple of weeks early this year saying how good Appalachian is and how they should be right up there with other FBS teams, then forget them as the season moves along. It was alluded to in the article that there's a question of how long to keep them in the Top 25. At what point do you look and say "well, Michigan was nice, but what have you done for me lately?" and subsequently drop them from the poll? Can they even move up, given their competition this season will not, week in and week out, be at the level of a Top 25 team? Do they just sit at, say, #24 all season? What's the point in that? And what about next year? Do they stay there? Does another FCS team even appear in the Top 25 unless they beat a ranked team?

Too much knee-jerking, IMO xtwocentsx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2007, 05:33 PM

It strikes me very much as a "pat ourselves on the back" kind of move by the media. They can take a couple of weeks early this year saying how good Appalachian is and how they should be right up there with other FBS teams, then forget them as the season moves along. It was alluded to in the article that there's a question of how long to keep them in the Top 25. At what point do you look and say "well, Michigan was nice, but what have you done for me lately?" and subsequently drop them from the poll? Can they even move up, given their competition this season will not, week in and week out, be at the level of a Top 25 team? Do they just sit at, say, #24 all season? What's the point in that? And what about next year? Do they stay there? Does another FCS team even appear in the Top 25 unless they beat a ranked team?

I agree with this but don't think it's a bad thing to have an FCS team ranked in the top 25. I think in reality the #1 team in FCS is atleast a top 30 team 9/10 years. Hopefully they won't reserve the #25 spot for the #1 team in FCS and will use honest judgement in assesing the possible caniadates. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and if App State will be ranked next week should Michigan beat Oregon.

BlueHen86
September 6th, 2007, 05:39 PM

Another question that comes to mind... how does this affect Michigan in the polls? It will be harder for Michigan to pass App. St. in the polls since App. St. won head to head. I believe that several voters will not drop a team if it wins, regardless of score or opponent. If App St. remains undefeated there will be voters who will keep them ahead of Mich. (assuming that they have App. St. ahead of Mich. right now).

TheValleyRaider
September 6th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I agree with this but don't think it's a bad thing to have an FCS team ranked in the top 25. I think in reality the #1 team in FCS is atleast a top 30 team 9/10 years. Hopefully they won't reserve the #25 spot for the #1 team in FCS and will use honest judgement in assesing the possible caniadates. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and if App State will be ranked next week should Michigan beat Oregon.

I agree, but I'm not really sure there's a way you can truly be intellectually honest about it. It's hard enough trying to rank 25 FBS teams when their schedules are so divergent and the sample size of games is so small. Now you throw in teams who play schedules that are even more different, plus play for different goals. An FBS coach with National Title dreams plays to win every game. Margin for error is pretty slim. An FCS coach knows that losing a game, heck even 2, is not only not the end of the season, but just a normal part of it. The pressure to win every game, and therefore the mentality of how to play and coach each game is totally different. xtwocentsx

JohnStOnge
September 6th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Its a great move...

BUT

When will we ever see a FCS team (besides the here and now) break into the top 25? They would have to do what App did...beat a ranked school. Obviously...that dosn't happen often. This rule has changed...but it may not be applied for 10, 20, or more years. Or it could happen next year...you never know...

One recent trend is that BCS league teams are playing more games against I-AA/FCS teams. As more games are played, having wins over BCS league teams occur becomes more likely. Teams that didn't play I-AA/FCS teams are playing them now.

Take Michigan and Ohio State this year, for instance. Neither had ever played a I-AA/FCS before.

I actually kind of alluded to this in my article for the I-AA mag. No, I didn't expect App State to beat Michigan. But I talked about the fact that more inter-subdivision games are being played so more "shockers" are being seen.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 6th, 2007, 05:54 PM
xeekx xeekx xeekx

This week has just been one surreal FCS news story after another...

Wow...

JaxSinfonian
September 6th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I agree with the AP's move in principle. Except ...

1) What's the purpose of the poll? Is it to list the top 25 teams in Division I or in FBS? Since the AP's poll is no longer being used in the formula for BCS selection, I suppose it's legitimate to turn it into a poll for all of D-I, if that's what they want to do. But ...

2) How are they going to evaluate the field of FCS candidates for consideration in the poll? I suppose it's perfectly legitimate that there are occasionally FCS teams better than some listed in the lower half of the poll, but how are these writers going to know about them? Some of the voters interviewed for the story openly admitted this: they don't know enough about the teams, and they don't face enough of the FBS teams to really get a handle on it. It will be hard for them to get a look at the right right teams on TV, too.

But hey, this poll's really just for fun anyway. If it gets sportswriters to become more knowledgeable about FCS and perhaps provide more coverage of it, that's not a bad thing at all. Fortunately, we don't need the poll, and never have, to determine who's the best team in the land. That's what the tournament is for.

bisonguy
September 6th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Wow.

Thanks Mountaineers!!!! xthumbsupx

Jerbearasu
September 6th, 2007, 06:16 PM
xeekx xeekx xeekx

This week has just been one surreal FCS news story after another...

Wow...

It definitely has been but I am guessing the honeymoon is about to be over at the end of this weekend and at that point nobody will vote for App come next week... Not bad as long as we stay #1 in the FCS. That's all the poll I care about...

walliver
September 6th, 2007, 06:38 PM
It was nice of the AP to open its poll, but, I don't think it's a good deal. The Mountain Men don't play another top 25 team all year and will fall from the poll and be forgotten.

I don't think it is a good idea mixing unlike teams in a poll. We have long drawn-out arguments on this board about where the "teams formerly known as I-AA mid majors" should be ranked. ASU will just be the San Diego of the AP poll.xtwocentsx

CopperCat
September 6th, 2007, 07:04 PM
So what's gonna happen now? ASU goes to the Meineke Car Care Bowl this year?xrolleyesx

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2007, 07:06 PM
What's the deal with this lower-division talk? FCS is Division I just like FBS...already chipped in my two cents, hope others do...

http://blogs.chron.com/longhorns/2007/09/ap_poll_change_lowerdivision_e.html

brownbear
September 6th, 2007, 07:27 PM
If they put App State at 25 this week, and they continue to win, would they move up at the same pace as teams that also beat FCS teams. The AP Poll really does not penalize teams harshly for playing easier schedules, so I think it's possible they could be ranked if they keep on winning.

Also, does anyone that App State plays this year play a ranked FBS opponent? If they beat a team that does a similar feat, they could easily stay in the poll.

I think this is a really good move as it gives these teams publicity. ESPN could start airing regular season FCS games, and eventually, if two ranked FCS teams play each other, perhaps even College Gameday would show up.

Cap'n Cat
September 6th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Um, like, you guys are missing something. It wasn't due to App's win over Michigan, it was because of Northern Iowa's thrashing of Minnesota State.

JBB
September 6th, 2007, 07:53 PM

Yea. Hear!! Hear!!

Saint3333
September 6th, 2007, 07:55 PM
It was nice of the AP to open its poll, but, I don't think it's a good deal. The Mountain Men don't play another top 25 team all year and will fall from the poll and be forgotten.

I don't think it is a good idea mixing unlike teams in a poll. We have long drawn-out arguments on this board about where the "teams formerly known as I-AA mid majors" should be ranked. ASU will just be the San Diego of the AP poll.xtwocentsx

Let me know when San Diego beats the # 5 team in 1-AA/FCS. For some reason if any other team (Furman, Wofford, etc.) had pulled this off I doubt their respective fans would frown upon this idea. The AP ranks the best 25 teams in the nation if they truly believe ASU is one of them why not allow them to rank them as such. For the record I'm not saying ASU is one of the top 25 teams in the nation and we really want know which teams are until October. It was just one week.

Pete's Weekly
September 6th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Sorry Guys, with all due respect ...IA/FBS polls & I-AA/FCS polls should remain just that. We are not the same thing, if we were, this win would mean only a fraction of what it does now. Stop trying to be what we are not. I am always in favor of more distinction from IA & do not even think the two divisions should ever even play, accept possibly non-bcs clubs

ps don't forget to write your congressmen about dumping FBS & FCS

AggieFinn
September 6th, 2007, 08:11 PM
ASU will just be the San Diego of the AP poll.xtwocentsx

I was thinking the same thing...but I doubt ASU fans will be talking it up like they're crazy wit' da heat!!!

Secondly, a quality win over Furman (speaking hypothetically Paladin fans) et al is a ton more impressive than a win over Azuza. xcoolx

GannonFan
September 6th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Not to be too cynical, but seeing how FCS actually lost 3 times as many games to divisions below FCS than we won playing up against FBS (and played more against FBS) should we now think about opening up our polls to DII teams and below??? :o :o :o :o

T-Dog
September 6th, 2007, 08:35 PM
And at least the option is there. Even if it's as worthless a rule as lets say "If a defense turns over the ball on a 2 point conversion and if they run it to the opposite endzone they get the two points" (http://youtube.com/watch?v=IW6Yl9eYkIs), it still could happen.

terrierbob
September 6th, 2007, 08:44 PM
The last (and only) bowl WC played in was the Cigar Bowl in Tampa against FSU in 1950. My mind is reeling with the possibilities.

brownbear
September 6th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Brown played in the Rose Bowl against Washington back in 1915. Maybe they can go back within the next 100 years!!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 6th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I think something is getting missed here. We've been waiting for Lee Corso, Kirk H., Trev Alberts et. al. to talk about FCS football for a long time. Now they get a chance to put their money where their mouth is. How can this be anything but good for FCS? Even if Appalachian State only stays in "Others Receiving Votes" for a few weeks it gives sportswriters a chance to change the world, pay attention to FCS teams... and to getting things right for a change.

I'm telling you, it's a glass ceiling that has been broken. Maybe it's the start of a playoff for FBS, maybe it's the start of FCS teams getting ranked in a poll (maybe one or two) on a regular basis. But all this wasn't possible a week ago.

Another important point is that FCS and FBS are all Division I athletics, so the AP Poll would ultimately be a "Division I Poll", which is what the folks fighting the I-AA moniker have been saying all along. You'd never see D-II teams ranked in our poll since it's a mandated difference in number of sports, etc.

colorless raider
September 6th, 2007, 09:32 PM
LFN is right. The 'glass ceiling" remark is right on. Go FCS!!!xnodx

brownbear
September 6th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I know they wouldn't do it, but could D2 and D3 teams be ranked as well?

skinny_uncle
September 6th, 2007, 09:35 PM
The last (and only) bowl WC played in was the Cigar Bowl in Tampa against FSU in 1950. My mind is reeling with the possibilities.
SIU's last bowl game was the Corn Bowl in 1947.

Franks Tanks
September 6th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Sorry Guys, with all due respect ...IA/FBS polls & I-AA/FCS polls should remain just that. We are not the same thing, if we were, this win would mean only a fraction of what it does now. Stop trying to be what we are not. I am always in favor of more distinction from IA & do not even think the two divisions should ever even play, accept possibly non-bcs clubs

ps don't forget to write your congressmen about dumping FBS & FCS

FCS is still the same division, division I, so it makes sense that we can be ranked in the overall poll. In the days of University and College division, teams in the college disision were ranked on occasion. It should be a poll of the 25 best college football teams, not the best FBS teams. Of course 99.999% of the time the 25 best teams in the country will be FBS, but I like the possibility.

skinny_uncle
September 6th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I remember SIU getting some votes in the final poll after winning the 1983 IAA NC. Maybe the rules were different back then.

Casey_Orourke
September 6th, 2007, 10:04 PM
This could be the beginning of a situation where a team is actually rewarded for their performance and record instead of being in a popularity contest. Had App. St played and beaten Michigan last season and the AP made a similar move, Boise State might be the #1 AP team based on their undefeated season and win in the Fiesta Bowl.

RabidRabbit
September 6th, 2007, 10:07 PM
There is a decent chance that the FCS will have TWO teams with perfect records, and wins over FBS teams (including BCS teams). xeekx

So if the "other" team makes it through the season undefeated, could we see two FCS teams in the top 25 of Div I? xconfusedx

CONGRATS TO THE MOUNTAINEERS, xthumbsupx and here's xbeerchugx xbeerchugx to several more FCS over FBS teams this season.

Bearkatpresident
September 6th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I'm hearing two sounds

1) The glass ceiling being shattered. Each voter will have to decide for themselves what they're going to do, but the fact that people have this ability is outstanding.

2) The sound of the devil cursing, because hell just froze over. (So sweet!)

I'm going to call my counterpart at Appy State in the morning and pass on my congratulations and respects. This isn't just a good thing for Appy, it's a good thing for everyone. We're finally getting (a little) respect.

EKU05
September 6th, 2007, 11:14 PM
I agree with the AP's move in principle. Except ...

1) What's the purpose of the poll? Is it to list the top 25 teams in Division I or in FBS? Since the AP's poll is no longer being used in the formula for BCS selection, I suppose it's legitimate to turn it into a poll for all of D-I, if that's what they want to do. But ...

2) How are they going to evaluate the field of FCS candidates for consideration in the poll? I suppose it's perfectly legitimate that there are occasionally FCS teams better than some listed in the lower half of the poll, but how are these writers going to know about them? Some of the voters interviewed for the story openly admitted this: they don't know enough about the teams, and they don't face enough of the FBS teams to really get a handle on it. It will be hard for them to get a look at the right right teams on TV, too.

But hey, this poll's really just for fun anyway. If it gets sportswriters to become more knowledgeable about FCS and perhaps provide more coverage of it, that's not a bad thing at all. Fortunately, we don't need the poll, and never have, to determine who's the best team in the land. That's what the tournament is for.

Two things...

(1) I agree. All of this talk about this being the "right thing to do" is BS because it's no more morally incorrect to have an FBS only poll than it is to have an FCS only poll. I think it's fine that they're letting App State in. I think it's GREAT actually, but if they wanted their poll to be an FBS specific poll that's fine too as long as it is identified as such.

(2) You mentioned it being opened to all of Division I, and several other people mentioned it as a move toward realizing that FCS is Division I. Think again, because the new rules allow all NCAA teams including DII and DIII to be allowed in the poll. It isn't some sudden realization that they were omitting half of a Division. It's taking Division entirely out of play which means that in a way that just put us into a lump some of teams that also includes the lower Divisions.

Make of it what you will. I say this is good, but ultimately it won't change anything other than App State getting some votes for a while.

FCSFAN
September 6th, 2007, 11:22 PM
not an unbelievable change, they're just trying to make money off of it like all the others, greed makes people do the damnest things

McNeese_beat
September 6th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Not to be too cynical, but seeing how FCS actually lost 3 times as many games to divisions below FCS than we won playing up against FBS (and played more against FBS) should we now think about opening up our polls to DII teams and below??? :o :o :o :o

I was thinking exactly the same thing. And to take that a step further, if Lenoir-Rhyne (or whatever it's called) upsets App State this week, does it get into the AP poll too? Are they opening it to all college football teams?

I remember back when the NFL Today on CBS (I'm talking the Musberger, Iry Cross, Phyllis George, Jimmy the Greek era) had a segment where it ranked its top 10 college teams every Sunday morning. And No. 10 was always reserved for something off the wall, like a Pop Warner team somewhere or the time Macalester College broke its 50-game losing streak.

Is the AP poll resorting to that sort of gimmick?

Eyes of Old Main
September 6th, 2007, 11:56 PM

Yosef is quite the trend-setter. Way to go, ASU!

AZGrizFan
September 7th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Note that the next poll doesn't come out until AFTER ASU plays the country western singer college. Then their SOS will be so low that they won't get into the top 25. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

It's a big publicity stunt! xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

bkrownd
September 7th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Does the Appy crowd ultimately care where they stand in a beauty contest against the #3 "also-ran" teams in the BCS conferences? "Wooo-hooo, we're #22!!" *Yawn* The novelty will wear off by Tuesday.

Lafayette71
September 7th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Even a brief stint in the poll would be a nice laurel for App. St. In the long run I think the bigger impact of this article is not only that App St. is getting some well deserved respect, but the media attention has opened the door for people to take notice of the comparative strength of the upper echelon of the FCS.

"If I have any openings in my poll, they would certainly be strongly considered," said Van Brimmer, who works for the Georgia-based Morris News Service.

In a previous job, he covered longtime Division I-AA powerhouse Georgia Southern, which, like Appalachian State, is a member of the Southern Conference.

"Having spent so much time watching those Georgia Southern teams, I'm sure the top teams in the Southern Conference are as good as any mid majors" in the upper division," Van Brimmer said. "They're probably as good as anybody in the MAC (Mid-American Conference). They're probably better than most in the Sun Belt."

This kind of media attention while, it may prove fleeting, could certainly draw a larger interest from outsiders in the nationally televised FCS title game this year, particularly if App St. is going for the trifecta. Not only would that be a boon for FCS schools, recruiting, and football in general, but it could also help the movement for a playoff system at the FBS level gain some momentum, as more FBS fans may have the oppurtunity to experience a little of excitement that the playoff brings to the game. If your a fan of the 16th ranked FBS school, wouldn't you rather see your team have a shot to play their way to the title rather than beat up on some mid major in the carquest chick fil-a weedeater bowl?

Saint3333
September 7th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Note that the next poll doesn't come out until AFTER ASU plays the country western singer college. Then their SOS will be so low that they won't get into the top 25. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

It's a big publicity stunt! xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Oh darn another publicity stunt this week which highlights Appalachian State and the 1-AA community, this is definitely an awful idea. The green eyed monster is coming out in some of you posters. If Montana had beaten Michigan your tune would be much different.

SoCon48
September 7th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Oh man, was there really a Cigar Bowl? I'd love that. 5,000 fans sitting in the stands in Florida watching a college football game smoking a good Macanuto!!!!

Cool!

SoCon48
September 7th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Can't see any real harm this will do. In fact, it might be easier for FCS teams to get a game with an FBS'er. The SI office of Mr Big University can say, "Yes Podunk U is FCS but they were ranked 25th a few weeks last season."

CharlestonAppFan
September 7th, 2007, 08:45 AM
I think some of us here are missing the point (besides Lehigh who I think is exactly right). I don't think we will be ranked in the top 25 anytime soon, but I do hope we are the ones in the "others receiving votes" section. Yes, AZGriz is correct, our strength of schedule may do us in eventually.

However, think of this scenario: App continues to win and win big (because we all know how the AP loves to vote in those teams that win by astounding numbers). I'm talking about an average margin of 35+ or more (realistically I don't think that will happen), but if it does and we win our conference and go undefeated, things will get interesting. FBS games are not being played...FCS playoffs are beginning with increased exposure...App's win over Michigan will begin to be spoken of again...

Throw on top of that, we go through the playoffs like last year and win a 3rd consecutive championship. Now, do we deserve to be mentioned or ranked? This is the point that I would love to see happen; App State #20 or where ever. I think this is the only justification for being ranked in my opinion.

jwfgeol
September 7th, 2007, 08:51 AM
If Michigan runs the table and goes to the rose bowl (don't know how likely that is) they will be ranked fairly high towards the end of the season. Similarly if App runs the table to a 3rd straight NC during that time, I don't see how you don't rank App.

89Hen
September 7th, 2007, 08:54 AM
If they put App State at 25 this week, and they continue to win, would they move up at the same pace as teams that also beat FCS teams. The AP Poll really does not penalize teams harshly for playing easier schedules...
Yes they do. xnodx

89Hen
September 7th, 2007, 08:59 AM
"Why not? The poll was always intended to measure teams that compete against each other, regardless of division, based solely on on-field performance," she said. "It was that way long before Division I was divided into I-A and I-AA in 1978."

I actually didn't know there was a rule against putting a I-AA in the poll, I just thought nobody did it. Lower division teams used to be allowed in the poll. Delaware was ranked in 1946 while playing in the 'Small College Division'. xthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
September 7th, 2007, 09:22 AM
The fact is that the AP isn't responsible for telling voters how to vote or making sure the voters have enough information to make their votes logically. This just allows voters who do know something about FCS to give credit where it's due. I'm not expecting ASU to be in the top 25, but if this happens again with another team, then that team has the opportunity to have it's accomplishment recognized. xtwocentsx

brownbear
September 7th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Yes they do. xnodx

If a ranked FBS team plays an FCS team and kills them, they don't move down in the rankings. They only move down if they lose or win by a small margin.

brownbear
September 7th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Oh man, was there really a Cigar Bowl? I'd love that. 5,000 fans sitting in the stands in Florida watching a college football game smoking a good Macanuto!!!!

Cool!

My favorite one is the Bacardi Bowl held in Havana sporatically in the early 1900s. It usually faced off an SEC team with a team from Cuba, and the Cuba team won occasionally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacardi_Bowl

Model Citizen
September 7th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Don't go thinking Appy belongs in the I-A poll. This was just one game, after all. Let's wait and see how good Michigan really is. With the schedule the ASU plays, I just don't see how they can be a serious consideration here. :D

Model Citizen
September 7th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Before there were D-I subdivisions, weren't some non-scholarship Ivies ranked in AP? Early 70s?

EmeryZach
September 7th, 2007, 10:31 PM
i can't believe they made this change because of one game

appfan2008
September 7th, 2007, 10:35 PM
what a historic happening that would be if asu or someone else from the fcs actually cracks the 25

HiHiYikas
September 9th, 2007, 02:31 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/appoll.htm

Not quite the top 25, but it's nice to get a few votes.

1 Southern Cal (40) 1-0 1594 1
2 LSU (25) 2-0 1582 2
3 Oklahoma 2-0 1418 5
4 West Virginia 2-0 1408 3
5 Florida 2-0 1370 4
6 Texas 2-0 1290 7
7 Wisconsin 2-0 1171 5
8 California 2-0 1126 10
9 Louisville 2-0 1097 8
10 Ohio St. 2-0 962 12
11 UCLA 2-0 910 13
12 Penn St. 2-0 896 14
13 Rutgers 2-0 820 15
14 Nebraska 2-0 693 16
15 Georgia Tech 2-0 590 21
16 Arkansas 1-0 537 18
17 South Carolina 2-0 477 NR
18 Virginia Tech 1-1 382 9
19 Oregon 2-0 367 NR
20 Clemson 2-0 349 25
21 Boston College 2-0 323 NR
22 Tennessee 1-1 284 24
23 Georgia 1-1 261 11
24 Hawaii 2-0 247 20
25 Texas A&M 2-0 243 23

Others receiving votes: South Florida 220, Missouri 144, Alabama 116, Washington 95, TCU 66, Arizona St. 28, Auburn 23, Appalachian St. 19, Cincinnati 12, Florida St. 2, Iowa 1, Kansas 1, Purdue 1.

Peems
September 9th, 2007, 02:35 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/appoll.htm

Not quite the top 25, but it's nice to get a few votes.

1 Southern Cal (40) 1-0 1594 1
2 LSU (25) 2-0 1582 2
3 Oklahoma 2-0 1418 5
4 West Virginia 2-0 1408 3
5 Florida 2-0 1370 4
6 Texas 2-0 1290 7
7 Wisconsin 2-0 1171 5
8 California 2-0 1126 10
9 Louisville 2-0 1097 8
10 Ohio St. 2-0 962 12
11 UCLA 2-0 910 13
12 Penn St. 2-0 896 14
13 Rutgers 2-0 820 15
14 Nebraska 2-0 693 16
15 Georgia Tech 2-0 590 21
16 Arkansas 1-0 537 18
17 South Carolina 2-0 477 NR
18 Virginia Tech 1-1 382 9
19 Oregon 2-0 367 NR
20 Clemson 2-0 349 25
21 Boston College 2-0 323 NR
22 Tennessee 1-1 284 24
23 Georgia 1-1 261 11
24 Hawaii 2-0 247 20
25 Texas A&M 2-0 243 23

Others receiving votes: South Florida 220, Missouri 144, Alabama 116, Washington 95, TCU 66, Arizona St. 28, Auburn 23, Appalachian St. 19, Cincinnati 12, Florida St. 2, Iowa 1, Kansas 1, Purdue 1.

I think that number will slowly fall, as Michigan seems to be...bad

brownbear
September 9th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Oregon gets ranked for beating Michigan, so why not App State?

App State is now the 33rd best team in football according to this!

bkrownd
September 9th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Oregon gets ranked for beating Michigan, so why not App State?

Maybe because Oregon destroyed them, and doesn't have Lenoir-Rhyne (?) on their schedule?