PDA

View Full Version : Colgate fans: A Dick Biddle question

Marcus Garvey
September 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Well, I think the over/under on Ted Roof being fired at Duke is Nov 1. They never should have hired him. He was inexplicably hired because the Blue Devils went 2-3 with him as an interim coach in 2003, and a handful of players told the AD they wanted him. Making decisions based on the wishes of the players seldom works out, see Dirk Koeter and Arizona St. They should have given it to Biddle, a proven head coach.

Now, my question is this... when (not if) Duke fires Roof, do you think Biddle would be interested? I hope he's not, and not just for Colgate's sake. It's pretty obvious the adminstration cares not for football. Anybody who accepts that job is being set up to fail. I wouldn't wish that on a guy like Biddle. However, you never know how he feels for sure.

Thoughts?

TheValleyRaider
September 5th, 2007, 07:08 PM
This was a question back when Roof was first hired. Duke over Carolina in 2003 was one of the best things to happen to Colgate in the recent past (minus that whole, you know, National Title Game appearance). I believe Biddle is signed through 2011, and if I remember the articles correctly, that's going to be it for him. He's committed to Colgate to the end of his career and with a guy like Biddle, you have to think that's that.

Now, I have to believe Duke will come calling if they do fire Roof, and Biddle has previously said Duke is the only place he'd leave Colgate for. At this point though, if 2011 is really to be his final season, then he's not going anywhere.

Franks Tanks
September 5th, 2007, 07:54 PM
This was a question back when Roof was first hired. Duke over Carolina in 2003 was one of the best things to happen to Colgate in the recent past (minus that whole, you know, National Title Game appearance). I believe Biddle is signed through 2011, and if I remember the articles correctly, that's going to be it for him. He's committed to Colgate to the end of his career and with a guy like Biddle, you have to think that's that.

Now, I have to believe Duke will come calling if they do fire Roof, and Biddle has previously said Duke is the only place he'd leave Colgate for. At this point though, if 2011 is really to be his final season, then he's not going anywhere.

Biddle is a man of great integrity so I expect him to honor his word and stay if thats what he had agreed to. But it may be tough to turn down the alma mater as is seems to be his dream even though they are terrible. He has done about all there is to do at Colgate--multiple league championships and a trip to the NC game. He will be a Colgate hall of fame coach if he leaves tomorrow. If offerd I think he may go, the draw of turning around the school he played for may be too much.

DFW HOYA
September 5th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Duke will not fire Roof before season's end. Would he give notice to resign at season's end? Perhaps.

Duke's situation is challenging but not impossible, and the recent success of Wake puts even more pressure on a Duke team that needs a lot more help on both sides of the ball. Duke could look to the PL/Ivy schools, it could look to a regional coach (ECU, App State, etc.) to boost recruiting, or it could seek to hire a name coach of some sort to gain attention versus Butch Davis down the road at Carolina.

Like the situation at SMU this year, there's little room for error with these coaches.

colgate13
September 5th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Tough call. One the one hand I think he's fed up in some ways with the hurdles at Colgate regarding the AI and scholarships and a trip to Duke might be enticing. On the other hand, I think now through 2011 might be his swan song. If he stays he's got some good young recruits to finish out with and he'll leave on top of Colgate and PL football in terms of wins, legacy, etc.

My gut says no for two reasons: one, I think Duke supports their program less than Colgate, and I think that's too tough of a decision to make at his stage of his career. Also, I think Duke won't go that route unless Biddle had another outstanding season. Biddle was coming off of 2003's NC that year. He was 'hot'. Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing coach, but that year was special.

If some significant change in the AI is made and/or scholarships come before Duke comes knocking, I think Biddle stays regardless.

Go...gate
September 6th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Tough call. One the one hand I think he's fed up in some ways with the hurdles at Colgate regarding the AI and scholarships and a trip to Duke might be enticing. On the other hand, I think now through 2011 might be his swan song. If he stays he's got some good young recruits to finish out with and he'll leave on top of Colgate and PL football in terms of wins, legacy, etc.

My gut says no for two reasons: one, I think Duke supports their program less than Colgate, and I think that's too tough of a decision to make at his stage of his career. Also, I think Duke won't go that route unless Biddle had another outstanding season. Biddle was coming off of 2003's NC that year. He was 'hot'. Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing coach, but that year was special.

If some significant change in the AI is made and/or scholarships come before Duke comes knocking, I think Biddle stays regardless.

In addition, this situation is getting less favorable for Colgate with each season, making his job that much harder. At a certain point you get sick of the hypocrisy.