PDA

View Full Version : Southern Heritage Classic this weekend in Memphis

SU Jag
September 5th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I'll be there, are any of the Jackson State or Tennessee State guys from the board going?

I really dont see a favorite in this one. Both TSU and JSU started off on a bad note. I expected JSU to beat Delta State but ant the same time I expected Tennessee State and Alabama A&M to be a close game, boy was I wrong. Any way I'll have fun watching the Tigers and Tigers get it on in Memphis. xnodx
http://www.southernheritageclassic.com/
Too bad I wont be able to make it to Chicago to see the Jags thoughxbawlingx

citdog
September 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM
how is it I was not invited to an event called THE SOUTHERN HERITAGE CLASSIC?

BgJag
September 5th, 2007, 01:46 PM

ahh because it's not the SOUTHERN confederate CLASSIC? xpeacex

citdog
September 5th, 2007, 01:49 PM

ah! There are OTHER types of Southern Heritage?

:D

mrklean
September 5th, 2007, 02:42 PM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!xlolx

citdog
September 5th, 2007, 02:48 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!xlolx

that was pretty good! rep pts to BGJAG!

jstate83
September 5th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I'll be there, are any of the Jackson State or Tennessee State guys from the board going?

I really dont see a favorite in this one. Both TSU and JSU started off on a bad note. I expected JSU to beat Delta State but ant the same time I expected Tennessee State and Alabama A&M to be a close game, boy was I wrong. Any way I'll have fun watching the Tigers and Tigers get it on in Memphis. xnodx
http://www.southernheritageclassic.com/
Too bad I wont be able to make it to Chicago to see the Jags thoughxbawlingx

I'm there....................Along with 3/4 the city of Jackson. xnodx
This place will start to empty out Thursday headed up I-55. xnodx

I'm gonna write that offensive debacle this past weekend on 1st game jitters.
I just can't see how a offense that scored 20, 30 point's per game in offense last year could not even hand the ball off without fumbling and other crap.

Gonna see if getting Haw and Cody back at the RB position and inserting Frost back into the TE position after not playing makes that much of a difference.
VAST IMPROVEMENT expected on offense.

mikebigg
September 5th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I'm there....................Along with 3/4 the city of Jackson. xnodx
This place will start to empty out Thursday headed up I-55. xnodx

I'm gonna write that offensive debacle this past weekend on 1st game jitters.
I just can't see how a offense that scored 20, 30 point's per game in offense last year could not even hand the ball off without fumbling and other crap.

Gonna see if getting Haw and Cody back at the RB position and inserting Frost back into the TE position after not playing makes that much of a difference.
VAST IMPROVEMENT expected on offense.

So far the conference is 1-0 against the OVC... But this rivalry goes back waaaaay farther than that. Some of the old heads will tell you of the animosity that stems from Big John Merritt leaving Jackson for Tenn State. Oh, this one goes back a long way... Man, I hate Grambling doesn't play Tenn State anymore. I used to listen to that game on WLAC outta Nashville on a transistor radio with a weak battery back in the 60's.

I won't be there but I will try to catch it on the tube or internet.

BgJag
September 5th, 2007, 07:26 PM
So far the conference is 1-0 against the OVC... But this rivalry goes back waaaaay farther than that. Some of the old heads will tell you of the animosity that stems from Big John Merritt leaving Jackson for Tenn State. Oh, this one goes back a long way... Man, I hate Grambling doesn't play Tenn State anymore. I used to listen to that game on WLAC outta Nashville on a transistor radio with a weak battery back in the 60's.

Damn you're old...60's. Did they have fm radio then? Btw, we're 2-0 against the OVC this year. AAMU beat TnST and AlaSt beat Jaxv'lleSt.xcoffeex

813Jag
September 5th, 2007, 07:59 PM

Mikebigg, you old school for real. I won't even say how far back you just went. xreadx I appreciate and respect the history lesson.

mikebigg
September 5th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Damn you're old...60's. Did they have fm radio then? Btw, we're 2-0 against the OVC this year. AAMU beat TnST and AlaSt beat Jaxv'lleSt.xcoffeex

I started listening to games around 67-68 during the James "Shack" Harris led Grambling teams going against Tenn State's Eldridge Dickey. Man that radio would fade in and out during drives... you could hear the sheers but couldn't tell if it was us or them scoring. Then it was up early the next day sitting thru Sunday School until I could get home and watch the Grambling playbacks. No internet and the living in rural north La there was no nearby corner newspaper stand.

SU Jag
September 5th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Great history lesson, I love to sit around with the "old heads" and talk HBCU football from the 60s and 50s.xnodx Its truly an honor!xbowx

SU Jag
September 5th, 2007, 10:40 PM

You have officialy been invited! See you in Memphisxnodx

jstate83
September 6th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Yep.
It's safe to say the 2 school's take this personal.xnodx
Especially the ole schooler's.xlolx

The last dust up came the year before L.C. Cole came there.
The assistant's for both teams had to be seperated after the game when they were headed to the elevator.
The Tenn. St. coaches didn't take kindly to the "attitude" of the JSU coaches and vice verse.
They were jaw jacking with each other before, during, and after that game.

When L.C. Cole arrived the next year, he took up the fight and hung some heartbreaking losses on us.

Saturday should be no different for the players, coaches, and fans. xlolx
Comegy gonna find out real quick how "personal" beating Tenn. St. is to JSU fans. xnodx

813Jag
September 6th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I love the history and hearing about the great teams back in the day. My dad played at Valley in the 60's and that's all he talks about. I hoping for a good game, is it televised?

jstate83
September 6th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I love the history and hearing about the great teams back in the day. My dad played at Valley in the 60's and that's all he talks about. I hoping for a good game, is it televised?

It's a trip at all the stuff that go on behind the scene.
All the people complaining about not exchanging game film been going on with us since I can remember.
They never traded film with JSU.

They would tell W.C Gorden or Big Daddy Carson that the film was in the mail and never send anything while JSU would send them their's.xlolx

I learned about that my freshman year when we played them at Vanderbult Stadium.
Richard Dent put Sylvester Stamps and Carl Blue out the game on a Kickoff and a punt return.
Them was some of the hardest lick's I had seen to that day.xeekx

He hit Sylvester so hard on the opening kickoff, his helment went forward, the ball out to the side, and Sylvester went flying backwards.
Carl Blue didn't fare much better. xlolx

jstate83
September 6th, 2007, 10:17 AM

On Fox Sport's south...............FSN.

813Jag
September 6th, 2007, 10:36 AM
It's a trip at all the stuff that go on behind the scene.
All the people complaining about not exchanging game film been going on with us since I can remember.
They never traded film with JSU.

They would tell W.C Gorden or Big Daddy Carson that the film was in the mail and never send anything while JSU would send them their's.xlolx

I learned about that my freshman year when we played them at Vanderbult Stadium.
Richard Dent put Sylvester Stamps and Carl Blue out the game on a Kickoff and a punt return.
Them was some of the hardest lick's I had seen to that day.xeekx

He hit Sylvester so hard on the opening kickoff, his helment went forward, the ball out to the side, and Sylvester went flying backwards.
Carl Blue didn't fare much better. xlolx
I remember Sylvester Stamps and Carl Blue, I was a young'n back then. I came home from Jackson like this xbawlingx alot. Points were hard to come by for the Jags in Jackson. TSU was real tough back then too.

bigbluetiger
September 6th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Flying out tonight. Tailgating all day around the Mid South Colisium.

Pics from last year:

http://noelimages.smugmug.com/photos/167484750-M.jpg

http://www.noelimages.smugmug.com/gallery/1905560#96361940

mikebigg
September 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Coach Rob used to always mention Big John Merritt when talking about his early years. He always gave praise and props to Ace Mumford (SU), Jake Gaither (FAMU), Big John Merritt (TnSU) and Billy Nicks (PVU). If you are a student of BCF History, I'm sure you can find articles and even books about these men. They had so much talent at their disposal back then... I can imagine how tough it was for Rob to get anything going against these established programs. As a youth, the team that I looked forward to playing was TnState cuz they used to give us the blues. Done cried in my pillow a many nights during my pre-teens.

Gonna make a SHC one of these days... I have a frat who lives in Memphis named Bruh Que Snider (in case any bruhs are reading) who is setting it out for any and all bruhs rolling up from Baton Rouge's LKK Chapter. I have a Conflict Resolution Workshop for Young Males that I'm helping with this weekend. As soon as it's over, I'm headed to the house and watch as many games as I can...definitely plan to try and catch this one.xbowx

bigbluetiger
September 6th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Those guys didn't recruit they selected.

SU Jag
September 6th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I'll be leaving tommorow morning around 9am on my way to Memphis with Mrs.Jagxnodx