PDA

View Full Version : San Diego players unhappy....

USDFAN_55
September 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I've been hearing that the San Diego players aren't very happy with their new coach (could be interesting to see how this effects the way the team plays this year). They are upset that they were kneeling the ball to end the half instead of scoring again; also, the second teams played almost the entire 2nd half of the game against Azuza. It seems as though the new coach doesn't like to run up the score like Harbaugh did. My question is this: Does San Diego need to blow out all of their opponents to get any kind of acknowledgement, or can they just beat the teams by any score? As bad as it sounds, I think San Diego (with the weak schedule) needs to be beating these teams by at least 4-5 touchdowns.

Mountain Panther
September 5th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Since when did the inmates take over the prison? Coach needs to put his foot down if players are publicly "unhappy."

citdog
September 5th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I've been hearing that the San Diego players aren't very happy with their new coach (could be interesting to see how this effects the way the team plays this year). They are upset that they were kneeling the ball to end the half instead of scoring again; also, the second teams played almost the entire 2nd half of the game against Azuza. It seems as though the new coach doesn't like to run up the score like Harbaugh did. My question is this: Does San Diego need to blow out all of their opponents to get any kind of acknowledgement, or can they just beat the teams by any score? As bad as it sounds, I think San Diego (with the weak schedule) needs to be beating these teams by at least 4-5 touchdowns.

you could beat them by 265td's and it wouldn't matter. San Diego will still be a nice place to visit, just not playoff caliber.

GannonFan
September 5th, 2007, 12:06 PM
You can't fix a bad schedule by beating the stuffing out of it. That only gets you so far. At the end of the day, a bad schedule is a bad schedule. It's a shame because then it's out of the players' hands and in the hands of the AD, but them's the breaks. Running the score up against Azuza wouldn't have impressed anybody and probably would've drawn a little scorn from people opposed to embarrassing opponents.

Ronbo
September 5th, 2007, 12:09 PM

Beating Davis and Drake would do more than blowing everyone out.

BlueHen86
September 5th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Sounds like your coach is doing the right thing. He can't guarantee a playoff bid (even if they blow everybody out), but he can teach his players about having class. Good for him. I wonder if SD practice will be tougher than normal this week? I think the players should shut up and play.

andy7171
September 5th, 2007, 12:12 PM
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I see nothing wrong with scoring less, coaching with class and giving back ups playing time.

Pauly LB
September 5th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Harbaugh will NOT be running up any scores very soon in Stanford !!!

lizrdgizrd
September 5th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Sounds like the coach is running a football program the way it should be. Play the games, don't run up the score, let your backups get experience. Those whiny players need to grow up and learn good sportsmanship and how a quality program ensures continued success.

Calif_Colonial
September 5th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I can tell you that it didn't set well when Harbaugh went to the endzone against Monmouth with 25 seconds to go with the game already in hand. That was totally without class. San Diego dominated the game; they were going to get positive write ups by the press so in my opinion it was not necessary to score any more points.

AggieFinn
September 5th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Harbaugh will NOT be running up any scores very soon in Stanford !!!

Ahhh, the good ole' days...

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/10/18/harbaugh.jpg

Col Hogan
September 5th, 2007, 12:30 PM

Sounds like your coach is doing the right thing. He can't guarantee a playoff bid (even if they blow everybody out), but he can teach his players about having class. Good for him. I wonder if SD practice will be tougher than normal this week? I think the players should shut up and play.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I see nothing wrong with scoring less, coaching with class and giving back ups playing time.

You guys collectively hit the nail on the head...San Diego, are you listening?

AlphaSigMD
September 5th, 2007, 12:31 PM
you could beat them by 265td's and it wouldn't matter. San Diego will still be a nice place to visit, just not playoff caliber.

That reminds me of another place in South Carolina...maybe Charleston? Playoffs what?!?

Seahawks Fan
September 5th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Isn't the answer obvious? You teach your players class and sportsmanship. I'm surprised that they would want to run up the score.

andy7171
September 5th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Isn't the answer obvious? You teach your players class and sportsmanship. I'm surprised that they would want to run up the score.

My coach in HS refused to run the score up past 49, and we had plenty of opportunities. As a young player, I wanted to see the score roll over into the 50's. Then early on at Towson we had the score run up on us multiple times over that mark. Finally in my Junior and Senior years we occasionally eclispled that 50 point barrier. Kinda felt dirty afterward too.

HensRock
September 5th, 2007, 01:46 PM
San Diego's Schedule ---> xdeadhorsex

Notice that the man in the image does not gain in stature each time he strikes the horse. No matter how many times he beats that damn thing, it doesn't make him look any better. Kind of like this entire issue. No matter how many times we talk about it, it still doesn't change. Hmmmmm.

downbythebeach
September 5th, 2007, 02:03 PM
^^^^If the other PFL teams keep winning it might

Cap'n Cat
September 5th, 2007, 02:06 PM
San Diego's Schedule ---> xdeadhorsex

Notice that the man in the image does not gain in stature each time he strikes the horse. No matter how many times he beats that damn thing, it doesn't make him look any better. Kind of like this entire issue. No matter how many times we talk about it, it still doesn't change. Hmmmmm.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

hoseman
September 5th, 2007, 02:19 PM
How refreshing to read these positive posts about showing class and exhibiting sportsmanship by not running up scores. The team we played Saturday had us down 34-18 with 18 seconds remaining, 4 yard line, they went ahead and scored to make it 40-18. Guess that's what....never mind

USDFAN_55
September 5th, 2007, 02:39 PM
I am in agreement with the sportsmanship aspect of the new coach. I was just wondering if we beat Azuza or any other low level team by only 3, would everyone in here wonder why San Diego struggled so much? I think some would. I guess it's a lose-lose situaution in some eyes. If you beat someone by a ton of points, then you are deemed to have poor sportsmanship; if you beat a team by just enough, then you are deemed to be not that good.

In the eyes of the coaches and sports writers that the polls are comprised of, a huge win looks a lot better. Afterall, most of them don't see that many of the games first hand. They do some of their voting off of score alone it seems sometimes.

Now these are just my thoughts. Don't go beating me up and saying I am lobbying for San Diego to make the play-offs this year. Just trying to get other points of views.

citdog
September 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM
How refreshing to read these positive posts about showing class and exhibiting sportsmanship by not running up scores. The team we played Saturday had us down 34-18 with 18 seconds remaining, 4 yard line, they went ahead and scored to make it 40-18. Guess that's what....never mind

that's the FU WAY!

putter
September 5th, 2007, 03:09 PM

You can look at it both ways. Iowa was up 34-7 with 6 seconds left and punched it in for a touchdown. Our coach said it is up to us to stop them and if we can't then they should score. Not saying either way is right but subs work just as hard at practice as the starters.

For SD, running it up on Azuza will not help you. If you had a chance to run it up on Davis or other quality teams then that is a different story.

OL FU
September 5th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Only because the score should have 58-10 ( Damn fumbles)

PS tell Bentley to quit bitching. He never minded beating his high school opponents by 70 points. Shoe on the the other foot doesn't feel as goodxrolleyesx

letsgopards04
September 5th, 2007, 03:13 PM
This all reminds me of Frank Tavani and Lafayette against Marist. Up 49-10 late in the fourth, Lafayette got the word to start taking knees once they got inside Marists' 10 yard line.

The Tank
September 5th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I think the question in the players mind is, does it hurt them in the eyes of the pollsters to only beat Azusa by 10 points instead of the 32 points they were up in the 4th quarter before the subs gave the big lead away!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 5th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I am in agreement with the sportsmanship aspect of the new coach. I was just wondering if we beat Azuza or any other low level team by only 3, would everyone in here wonder why San Diego struggled so much? I think some would. I guess it's a lose-lose situaution in some eyes. If you beat someone by a ton of points, then you are deemed to have poor sportsmanship; if you beat a team by just enough, then you are deemed to be not that good.

In the eyes of the coaches and sports writers that the polls are comprised of, a huge win looks a lot better. Afterall, most of them don't see that many of the games first hand. They do some of their voting off of score alone it seems sometimes.

Now these are just my thoughts. Don't go beating me up and saying I am lobbying for San Diego to make the play-offs this year. Just trying to get other points of views.

I would like to think voters are smart enough to see that San Diego was up 42-10 before Azusa Pacific tacked on three late TDs against the second string (which, need I remind people, are all non-scholarship players).

San Diego will be fine. I'm already looking forward to the Drake game.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 5th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I think the question in the players mind is, does it hurt them in the eyes of the pollsters to only beat Azusa by 10 points instead of the 32 points they were up in the 4th quarter before the subs gave the big lead away!

They're not ranked anyway, so why should they care? Win games, and they'll get ranked, like they did last year.

lizrdgizrd
September 5th, 2007, 03:23 PM

If you've got a 4 TD lead, pull your starters, and end up only beating Asuza by 3 pts it tells me you've got no depth.

BisonBacker
September 5th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Nobody would question you if you scored when you were ahead by only 3 points. Unless of course you were up by any margain with less then a minute to go and the other team had no way of getting the ball back. Bottom line is if your up by more then two or three scores you don't need to rub it in when there is only seconds left in a game.

OL FU
September 5th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Now I will have to retract my quick response.

I have to admit when we scored at the end I wentxeyebrowx
If I were a Hose fan I would have wentxmadx xeyebrowx

Honestly though we played practical every player on the bench. The second half was basically second stringers. Felton carried the ball a whopping 11 times. When you guys scored in the middle of the fourth quarter to make it and then executed a very nice on-side kick, I think Lamb basically said ok enough is enough let's put the first team back in the game and end this thing. Why he took the score instead of the knee, who knows.

My problem is I had just read Bentley's blog and he had so totally mis-stated the facts of the game it would have been humorous if not so sad. Then he whined about the final score after having a history of beating his high school opponents senseless. Oh well timing is everything.

See you in 2009xthumbsupx

Polywog
September 5th, 2007, 04:11 PM
If San Diego went ahead an joined the Great West, they wouldn't have those pesky strength of schedule issues anymore. I know, schollys are expensive at private schools, but that's the breaks.

OL FU
September 5th, 2007, 04:12 PM
If San Diego went ahead an joined the Great West, they wouldn't have those pesky strength of schedule issues anymore. I know, schollys are expensive at private schools, but that's the breaks.

Last time I checked Furman gives 63 in footballxsmiley_wix

ursus arctos horribilis
September 5th, 2007, 04:49 PM
This is the most lopsided thread I have read in a while. I agree with everyone else here. SD running up the score proves nothing on teams like Azusa. getting more play time for the backups will prove helpful against Davis and Drake as they will be more prepared than if they had not played in these weak games. Montana took two knees to end the game against SUU inside the seven to end the game last week and we would've looked like tools had we done anything else. Sounds to me like Harbaugh was a tool teaching tool like behavior. The new coach sounds like a good fella trying to teach them to act like men. That's why the result right now is for the players to act like babies. They need this guy to teach them how to be men.

walliver
September 5th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Now I will have to retract my quick response.

I have to admit when we scored at the end I wentxeyebrowx
If I were a Hose fan I would have wentxmadx xeyebrowx

Honestly though we played practical every player on the bench. The second half was basically second stringers. Felton carried the ball a whopping 11 times. When you guys scored in the middle of the fourth quarter to make it and then executed a very nice on-side kick, I think Lamb basically said ok enough is enough let's put the first team back in the game and end this thing. Why he took the score instead of the knee, who knows.

My problem is I had just read Bentley's blog and he had so totally mis-stated the facts of the game it would have been humorous if not so sad. Then he whined about the final score after having a history of beating his high school opponents senseless. Oh well timing is everything.

See you in 2009xthumbsupx

Bentley would run trick plays in the fourth quarter when his team was up by 50. I have no sympathy for him. Most of PC's players were recruited by classier coaches and it was unfair to the players. But, at least Bobby didn't go for two.

USDFAN_55
September 5th, 2007, 05:04 PM
So in the eyes of the poll voters, an undefeated team with an average winning margin of 7 is the same as an undefeated team with an average winning margin of 35 with the same exact schedule?

eaglesrthe1
September 5th, 2007, 05:44 PM
So in the eyes of the poll voters, an undefeated team with an average winning margin of 7 is the same as an undefeated team with an average winning margin of 35 with the same exact schedule?

If your avg winning margin is 7, then you are struggling with your competition.

It's all relative. I find it hard to label any team as running up the score when there is a full half left to play... you'd have to be up by fifty at that point to call off the dogs considering the amount of time left. As long as the leading team is playing vanilla and using subs late in the game it doesn't matter what the score is, the term "it's your job to stop us comes into play".

A td can be scored on a single play, two can be scored on two consecutive plays, etc. There's no need to be obnoxious or flamboyant about scoring at will, but IMO 75% of the time there are accusations of running up the score... it's just sour grapes on the losers part.

citdog
September 5th, 2007, 05:50 PM
If your avg winning margin is 7, then you are struggling with your competition.

It's all relative. I find it hard to label any team as running up the score when there is a full half left to play... you'd have to be up by fifty at that point to call off the dogs considering the amount of time left. As long as the leading team is playing vanilla and using subs late in the game it doesn't matter what the score is, the term "it's your job to stop us comes into play".

A td can be scored on a single play, two can be scored on two consecutive plays, etc. There's no need to be obnoxious or flamboyant about scoring at will, but IMO 75% of the time there are accusations of running up the score... it's just sour grapes on the losers part.

i hope we show you what it feels like this year!

TheValleyRaider
September 5th, 2007, 05:57 PM

That's the danger you invite when you schedule a lower division team, especially an NAIA squad. Now, lots of teams schedule weaker teams ("tune-ups", "cupcakes", "Michigan") to try and get a win on the record, get the second-stringers some PT, or maybe to guarantee a win for the alumni at Homecoming. Most of these teams are also able to balance that weaker team by either playing in a tough conference or having other OOC games where they really step up the competition. San Diego has UC-Davis, and winning there will help in the long run. At the end of the season, all that will be remembered is that you WON. The details aren't as big a deal.

And I have to say, winning every game by 7 doesn't say "struggles with competition" to me. It says "consistent effort in close games". Average margin of victory of 7 with a 10-1 or 11-0 record says consistancy and mental toughness to me, combined with some good-old smash-mouth, ball-control football xtwocentsx

USDFAN_55
September 5th, 2007, 06:13 PM
That's the danger you invite when you schedule a lower division team, especially an NAIA squad. Now, lots of teams schedule weaker teams ("tune-ups", "cupcakes", "Michigan") to try and get a win on the record, get the second-stringers some PT, or maybe to guarantee a win for the alumni at Homecoming. Most of these teams are also able to balance that weaker team by either playing in a tough conference or having other OOC games where they really step up the competition. San Diego has UC-Davis, and winning there will help in the long run. At the end of the season, all that will be remembered is that you WON. The details aren't as big a deal.

And I have to say, winning every game by 7 doesn't say "struggles with competition" to me. It says "consistent effort in close games". Average margin of victory of 7 with a 10-1 or 11-0 record says consistancy and mental toughness to me, combined with some good-old smash-mouth, ball-control football xtwocentsx

I'm trying to ask this in general, not just regarding San Diego. How would you answer this if I was talking about Montana or Portland State (teams with good FCS schedules).

citdog
September 5th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I'm trying to ask this in general, not just regarding San Diego. How would you answer this if I was talking about Montana or Portland State (teams with good FCS schedules).

if The Citadel wins all of our games by 7pts we would be ranked #1 in the country!

Polywog
September 5th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Last time I checked Furman gives 63 in footballxsmiley_wix

Exactly! It can be done if there is an institutional committment to football. xnodx

TheValleyRaider
September 5th, 2007, 07:16 PM

On the one hand, 11-0 is 11-0. You are what your record says you are. A 10-0 team, like San Diego was, is going to get respect from pollsters, regardless of how big those wins were.

On the other, not all schedules are equal. Rare is the schedule where 2 teams play the exact same games, and it doesn't happen with 2 teams in the different conferences. We're careful (or at least ought to be) about not playing they game of score transference (we won by 30, and you only won by 10, therefore we'd beat you by 20). Different teams play different schedules and we have to make value judgments regarding the relative strength of those schedules and the quality of wins.

A lot of it really comes down to personal preference. One game does not a season make, in my mind. You only beat Azusa by 3? Okay, well, how about the rest of your games? Oh, you won the rest of them by an average of 3 also? Sounds like close games are just your style. Or, you won the rest of them by blowouts? Sounds like it was just a bad game." Some people look at Margin of Victory very closely, saying "you gotta win by 20 or it's not good enough."

Hope that's closer to what you're looking for

AggieFinn
September 5th, 2007, 07:24 PM
The USD boys are in one of the most beautiful city spots in the entire world. Surf is right around the corner, it's consitently one of the healthiest cities in America, they're getting a first class education, they have a strong winning tradition and the outlook for the 2007 season looks good. Why are they unhappy? Because they didn't get a chance to whoop up on Azuza? xrotatehx

OL FU
September 6th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Bentley would run trick plays in the fourth quarter when his team was up by 50. I have no sympathy for him. Most of PC's players were recruited by classier coaches and it was unfair to the players. But, at least Bobby didn't go for two.

I think we scored because we need to practice going for one.

We missed it after the last touchdown:o