PDA

View Full Version : Kirk Herbstreit calls Appy the "team nobody every heard of"

CSUBUCDAD
September 4th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Damn dude. You gotta be kidding me. He was being interviewed on the App win and who was in bigger trouble of loosing their job after week one Carr or Weis. Man I really respected that dude and his savy til that comment. Oughta piss off the App boys big time. It would me if I was an App player or coach.

Ivytalk
September 4th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Kirk couldn't even spell "Appalachian" without a teleprompter.xrolleyesx

phillyAPP
September 4th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Kirk couldn't even spell "Appalachian" without a teleprompter.xrolleyesx

THANK YOU

He is jealous

Zoo
September 4th, 2007, 05:36 PM
What a complete idiot. I always liked the guy, but that comment wasn't needed at all.

citdog
September 4th, 2007, 05:37 PM
what a douche. they played on YOUR NETWORK last season for the FCS TITLE!

phillyAPP
September 4th, 2007, 05:39 PM
what a douche. they played on YOUR NETWORK last season for the FCS TITLE!

I loveyour clear and direct approach.

Marcus Garvey
September 4th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Damn dude. You gotta be kidding me. He was being interviewed on the App win and who was in bigger trouble of loosing their job after week one Carr or Weis. Man I really respected that dude and his savy til that comment. Oughta piss off the App boys big time. It would me if I was an App player or coach.

Nahh... Herbstreit gets a pass in my book on this one.
While the statement "nobody" ever heard of is is simply not true, his meaning was that the majority of college football fans (i.e., I-A fans who only watch the big games on TV involving BCS teams) had not heard of App. St. 10 years ago in Massachusetts, I worked with a guy who went to App. St. and was the only person in the office who had heard of it prior to meeting him

One dumb comment isn't going to change my opinion of him. We all make dumb comments. It's when you make a lot of them (like Mark May, Lee Corso, Trev Alberts) that I begin to think you're an idiot.

Mountain Panther
September 4th, 2007, 05:53 PM
1) While the statement "nobody" ever heard of is is simply not true, his meaning was that the majority of college football fans (i.e., I-A fans who only watch the big games on TV involving BCS teams) had not heard of App. St. 10 years ago in Massachusetts, I worked with a guy who went to App. St. and was the only person in the office who had heard of it prior to meeting him
2) He's bitter that his alma matter lost

One dumb comment isn't going to change my opinion of him. We all make dumb comments. It's when you make a lot of them (like Mark May, Lee Corso, Trev Alberts) that I begin to think you're an idiot.

I thought he went to Ohio State? Regardless, you're right....A LOT of people in this country have simply not heard of App State. I had not before joining AGS two years ago, and I'm a pretty smart guy. ;)

No matter where you work, go into your office tomorrow and ask everyone if they've heard of ASU (at least before least weekend).

Marcus Garvey
September 4th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I thought he went to Ohio State? Regardless, you're right....A LOT of people in this country have simply not heard of App State. I had not before joining AGS two years ago, and I'm a pretty smart guy. ;)

No matter where you work, go into your office tomorrow and ask everyone if they've heard of ASU (at least before least weekend).

No, you're right, my bad. He is a Buckeye. I hate both OSU and UMich that I confuse them. LOL

I've edited my "dumb coment." xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
September 4th, 2007, 06:12 PM
No, you're right, my bad. He is a Buckeye. I hate both OSU and UMich that I confuse them. LOL

I've edited my "dumb coment." xthumbsupx

but have you edited your "dumb comment"? ;) ;) ;)

Marcus Garvey
September 4th, 2007, 06:27 PM
but have you edited your "dumb comment"? ;) ;) ;)

No, that;s a typo.... jacka$$! xlolx

travelinman67
September 4th, 2007, 06:52 PM
What? Kirk "Buckeye-By-Birth" Herbstreit demeaning Appy, which in turn demeans Michigan?

Who'd a thunk?

Hmmm....mebbe, Appy should visit Columbus in 2009?
xcoffeex

ncman071
September 4th, 2007, 07:19 PM
yea i heard the "comment" when i got home from work today and u know what? it doesn't bother me. i'm still just elated that OUR APPALACHIAN STATE is getting as much media/national attention now. It just amazes me. We go and win national title #2 and it gets mentioned here and there in the local news as if it were just a highschool football game. We go and beat Michigan in the first game and everybody knows who we are. Again, i couldn't be more happy for our team, our coaches, and our fans! Go App!

Cap'n Cat
September 4th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Hebstreit is smug ***** to me.

Speaking of smug *****s, whatever happend to the biggest anti-FCS loser of all, Trev Albert?

Mountain Panther
September 4th, 2007, 07:57 PM

Speaking of smug *****s, whatever happend to the biggest anti-FCS loser of all, Trev Albert?

Smug to many, but he did go to my high school and donated a crap-load of money for a new weight room, probably the nicest weight room in the state of Iowa for our high school class. He has a law degree from Nebraska so I'm sure he could fall back on that whenever.

Where is he now? From Wikipedia...after being fired from ESPN....

Alberts thereafter accepted a position as a columnist for the website of the college sports cable television network CSTV. He also works as a color commentator for the NFL on Westwood One Sunday afternoon radio broadcasts.

lambertjr
September 4th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Kirk gets a little leeway from me on this one.
He's not anywhere near as negative or insulting as a majority of some of these other "D-1-football-only-counts" morons.

bkrownd
September 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I got news for ya. Outside of maybe their region nobody (in round numbers) had ever heard of Appalachian State. True fact. Yup.

elkmcc
September 4th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Herbie is a dumb *****. I hadn't seen him since he put his foot in his mouth just prior to the start of the App/UM game. I hoped that ESPN had fired him for embarrassing the network so badly with his rant.

If you have missed his incessant dissing of FCS you must not watch ESPN very often. The guy is an ass. No getting around it.

Marcus Garvey
September 5th, 2007, 12:16 AM

Not just I-AA/FCS, but Alberts was a douche-bag toward any school not in a BCS conference. For a while, I thought Mark May was the bigger f--ktard. Only after Alberts got fired did I realize that he was bringing May down to his level... that's not to say Mark May is sharp, just that he's not as big a douche-bag without Alberts in the studio.

One of the better "joke" sports blogs out there is written from the POV of Trev Alberts:
FireMarkMay.com (http://www.firemarkmay.com/)

MarkCCU
September 5th, 2007, 07:23 AM
What a ****! AppState was the underdog, but most definetly heard of. Those that follow football, even a little bit, know of AppState.

Eyes of Old Main
September 5th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Herbstreit is a tool. I wish I'd neevr heard of him either. Same goes for the aforementioned idiot Trev Alberts too.

Khan4Cats
September 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Gee, I wonder if he's ever heard of Mount Union? They probably can't play football there at all, they're not fBS.

SoCon48
September 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I got news for ya. Outside of maybe their region nobody (in round numbers) had ever heard of Appalachian State. True fact. Yup.

Then they sure as hell haven't heard of FCS or I-AA.xcoffeex

appheel
September 5th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Herbstreit is a tool. Instead of eating crow for calling us a "cupcake," he disses us even further by making us sound like the Little Sisters of the Poor.

JDC325
September 5th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Guys remember Herby's conference is going through a tough stretch. Got to be a little irratating for the ole boy to have his conference be so embarassed twice in such a short period of time. They have been exposed to be weakest BCS conference.

jwfgeol
September 5th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Herbstreit's comments are better than Colin Cowherd who kept saying Michigan lost to Appalachian State, "whatever that is". Everytime he said Appalachian State, it was followed by "whatever that is".

andy7171
September 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Herbstreit's comments are better than Colin Cowherd who kept saying Michigan lost to Appalachian State, "whatever that is". Everytime he said Appalachian State, it was followed by "whatever that is".
Cowherd is a dunce.

I stopped listening to him when he suggested that the non playoff NFL teams play a loser bracket playoff for the #1 draft pick. And was totally serious about it.

Bison06
September 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I used to regard Herbstreit as a very logical, unbiased football mind. But, after I heard him do a radio interview on KFAN this morning in Minneapolis, I no longer respect his opinion on college football. I'll paraphrase here, he said this is the worst loss imaginable for a BCS team I mean c'mon it's Appalachian St.(pronounced wrongxthumbsupx I've learned so much App fans) It's not like they lost to Bowling Green or Kent St. this is much worse than that would ever be. It's that comment right there that has made me lose interest in his opinion. If he thinks that either of those two teams even deserve to be on the same field as App. St. than he is not the College football mind he thinks he is.xnonox

GannonFan
September 5th, 2007, 10:31 AM
While the statement "nobody" ever heard of is is simply not true, his meaning was that the majority of college football fans (i.e., I-A fans who only watch the big games on TV involving BCS teams) had not heard of App. St. 10 years ago in Massachusetts, I worked with a guy who went to App. St. and was the only person in the office who had heard of it prior to meeting him

Amen to that - Herbstreit was absolutely correct when you consider that us FCS afficianados are pretty much a tiny minority in the vast landscape that is college football fandom. Sure we know all about Appy St and most other things FCS-related, but the average college football fan out there knows pretty much next to nothing about our level of football. I'm fine with that - I derive no excitement of what I'm watching (Delaware football mainly) based on the knowledge that other people know about my team or care about my team. They just don't know (seriously they don't) what they're missing. xpeacex

OL FU
September 5th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Who is Kirk Herbstreit xconfusedx

andy7171
September 5th, 2007, 10:35 AM

He's the robot that sits next to the clown Lee Corso on ESPN College Football Gameday on Saturday mornings.

GannonFan
September 5th, 2007, 10:36 AM

College Gameday???? He does the color for the ABC Saturday Night Game?????

btw, my wife actually likes when I watch Gameday - apparently Kirk is appealing to the feminine crowd. xrolleyesx

OL FU
September 5th, 2007, 10:40 AM
xrolleyesx Sorry that my humor was a little obscure:o :D

although I probably would not recognize him if I set next to him at dinnerxlolx

walliver
September 5th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Who is Appalachian State? ... I never heard of them.:D

Mountain Panther
September 5th, 2007, 03:50 PM
btw, my wife actually likes when I watch Gameday - apparently Kirk is appealing to the feminine crowd. xrolleyesx

This is true....I know one girl who refers to it as "Herbstreit Season" rather than football season.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/columnists/herbstreit_kirk_m.jpg "Look into my dreamy eyes....I WILL steal your girlfriend."

OL FU
September 5th, 2007, 04:39 PM
This is true....I know one girl who refers to it as "Herbstreit Season" rather than football season.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/columnists/herbstreit_kirk_m.jpg "Look into my dreamy eyes....I WILL steal your girlfriend."

So that's the guy I never heard ofxlolx

citdog
September 5th, 2007, 05:31 PM

he does appeal to the feminine crowd..................because he's a DOUCHE!

putter
September 5th, 2007, 05:57 PM

LMAO!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

HI54UNI
September 5th, 2007, 09:35 PM

Have to clean my monitor now! xlolx xlolx xlolx

appfan2008
September 5th, 2007, 11:37 PM
College Gameday???? He does the color for the ABC Saturday Night Game?????

my fiance likes it when college gameday is at osu and his little kids run out there and hang out with him on set

Eyes of Old Main
September 6th, 2007, 12:01 AM

Actually he's set up at the end of Crapsville bar and Citdog just bought him a vinegar and water.

Eyes of Old Main
September 6th, 2007, 12:02 AM

Mind over matter.

We no longer mind, because he no longer matters.

appfan2008
September 6th, 2007, 12:03 AM
he deserves it sometimes and especially after that one but i like him better than corso because he makes sense and doesnt always go for the home team

Appdad
September 6th, 2007, 05:57 AM
my fiance likes it when college gameday is at osu and his little kids run out there and hang out with him on set

Um, sounds like someone getting trained on being a future husband.... :)

Appdad
September 6th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Mind over matter.

We no longer mind, because he no longer matters.

He is an employee of ESPN spitting out the company line. That's why, other than Bill Curry, ESPN broadcasts of FCS games consist of 5 minutes on FCS and 55 minutes of FBS transfers and future FCS bowl match-ups.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2007, 12:10 PM
We ought to all send Kirky Boy some cupcakes this week.

TigerFan17
September 6th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Hahaha that would be hysterical.

Truthfully I don't mind KH. I think we have all said dumb stuff in our lives, we're just not on the air. Plus, the audience he caters to wants to hear that crap. Hes one of the ESPN commentators I actually think has a valid opinion usually but that doesn't mean everything he says is gold.

asu7
September 6th, 2007, 08:40 PM

with black icing and Appalachian A's on them ...

just do not let citdog get a hold of emxsmiley_wix