PDA

View Full Version : Mike Golic, another ESPN idiot!

NE MT GRIZZ
September 4th, 2007, 04:34 PM
This morning on Mike & Mike, Golic referred to App St. as "...formerly 1-AA, now a D-2 school......"

When will these clowns learn

AZGrizFan
September 4th, 2007, 04:36 PM
This morning on Mike & Mike, Golic referred to App St. as "...formerly 1-AA, now a D-2 school......"

He's a Notre Dame-educated (sic) talking head. What do you expect? xeyebrowx

JohnStOnge
September 4th, 2007, 05:40 PM

He should know because it's his job, but the name change created confusion. I was listening to the Tim Brando radio show today and he alluded to that. Said he's calling it I-AA and ragged on the NCAA for creating more confusion by changing the nomenclature.

I personally agree. I don't think chaning the designation from "I-AA" to "FCS" changes anything. At best it just makes it harder to say. Just doesn't sound as good...doesn't roll off the tounge as well. At worst it totally confuses people.

BlueHen86
September 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM
He should know because it's his job, but the name change created confusion. I was listening to the Tim Brando radio show today and he alluded to that. Said he's calling it I-AA and ragged on the NCAA for creating more confusion by changing the nomenclature.

I personally agree. I don't think chaning the designation from "I-AA" to "FCS" changes anything. At best it just makes it harder to say. Just doesn't sound as good...doesn't roll off the tounge as well. At worst it totally confuses people.
I don't like the nomenclature change either. I prefer I-A and I-AA. Right now you have:
FBS
FCS
II
III

The navaho language is easier to understand.

Cap'n Cat
September 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM
What we need, boys, is one of our own; a prominent FCS player anchoring a show to set all the azzholes straight. Any FCS school have a School of Communication on par with Syracuse, where I see a lot of these guys come from?

But, any of them out there...that care?

:(

lambertjr
September 4th, 2007, 08:01 PM
You gotta give Golic a break. He's suffering from the "Notre Dame got the crap kicked out of them....Again" virus.xlolx

downbythebeach
September 4th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Don't blame the name change........he's a sport radio host its his job to understand nomenclature.

Mountain Panther
September 4th, 2007, 08:06 PM
What we need, boys, is one of our own; a prominent FCS player anchoring a show to set all the azzholes straight. Any FCS school have a School of Communication on par with Syracuse, where I see a lot of these guys come from?

Sounds like you just nominated yourself xbowx xthumbsupx

APPsolute Champion
September 4th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Don't blame the name change........he's a sport radio host its his job to understand nomenclature.

No kidding, however he is not the only offender. You would think that the biggest sports morning show could at least get their facts straight about the biggest sports story of the week.

What a joke.

blukeys
September 4th, 2007, 08:15 PM

I agree. I can certainly understand confusion and an inability to change for the casual fan but teally this guy is a Professional (allegedly). Since his only job is sports, how tough can it be to do the necessary homework and get it right.

JMU1992
September 4th, 2007, 08:19 PM
They should just use I-FCS and I-FBS. That way you still keep the DI part of it.

GeauxColonels
September 4th, 2007, 08:38 PM
You gotta give Golic a break. He's suffering from the "Notre Dame got the crap kicked out of them....Again" virus.xlolx
But shouldn't he be used to that by now?!

rcny46
September 4th, 2007, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=NE MT GRIZZ;637116]This morning on Mike & Mike, Golic referred to App St. as "...formerly 1-AA, now a D-2 school......"

When will these clowns learn[/QU

It's beyond belief,really.xsmhx

HaveFunKc
September 4th, 2007, 09:58 PM

xthumbsupx

bison137
September 4th, 2007, 10:21 PM
BTW, if you'd like to tell Mr. Golic, and his partner Mike Greenberg, how you feel about his ignorance, their e-mail address is:

[email protected]

RadMann
September 4th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Golic has made a career of playing the idiot. Sometimes I enjoy him, but mostly not...

BearsCountry
September 4th, 2007, 11:26 PM

Mizzou is another school that most of the idiots come from explains alot of it.

Poly Pigskin
September 5th, 2007, 12:26 AM
BTW, if you'd like to tell Mr. Golic, and his partner Mike Greenberg, how you feel about his ignorance, their e-mail address is:

[email protected]

Email sent. I'm sure it will be promptly deleted, but it's worth a shot.

Seahawks Fan
September 5th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Let's go back to I-AA. This experiment was a disaster. In the NY area the sportswriters make a joke out of it.

henfan
September 5th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Are you kidding me? There's no excuse. Any media/sports professional type who thinks the simple FBS/FCS terminology changes are too tough to master is clearly a moron, or just being a spiteful d_head.

Over time, as FBS & FCS become more a part of the lexicon, those who refuse to use the new terminology will sound increasingly more clueless.

So go ahead, Golic & friends. Knock yourself out.

andy7171
September 5th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Golic makes his money being a buffoon. The Herbstreet quote is more insulting than this, Herbstreet at least acts like a real analyst.

CharlestonAppFan
September 5th, 2007, 08:47 AM
This talk is everywhere, for example: I was in the gym last night wearing my App shirt (yes, I'm milking it as much as I can but only have a few t-shirts until this weekend) and a few guys came up to me. They started saying that espn was short-changing us because they felt that we took it to them and we deserved to be talked about more so than how Michigan lost.xsmiley_wix

But then they started saying how App's D II status really does hurt Michigan more so then if they were D I. You better believe I set them straight, nicely though I might add. They thought D IAA was actually a division of D II; it never dawned on them that us, UMass, Montana, S Illinois, N Iowa were all D I in football also.

They started arguing with me until one guy finally pointed out that S. Ill played in the D I sweet 16 basketball tournament this year. They finally got it; DUH!!!xoopsx These guys were from USC (So Cal) and Cal so they began telling me how the SEC sucks and how their teams were the best teams in the land. I put my Ipod back on and starting working out.

AZGrizFan
September 5th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Montana has one of the top rated Journalism schools in the country. Bar none. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

On a side note, there used to be a running back that played for Idaho State, then spent several years in the NFL, who was a TV analyst for ESPN for several years....can't remember his name though...

89Hen
September 5th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Over time, as FBS & FCS become more a part of the lexicon, those who refuse to use the new terminology will sound increasingly more clueless.
100%.... DISAGREE. The change was idiotic and clueless.

FYI and BTW, the FCS/FBS is FUBAR because of the BCS where the AP is not A-OK and in the FCS where the GPI at CSN is BS because the AGS, SNW and CSN polls aren't given enough weight, we end with guys at ESPN, NBC, ABC and CBS who can tell us what the NCAA really means by all this. xrotatehx

AZGrizFan
September 5th, 2007, 09:03 AM

FYI and BTW, the FCS/FBS is FUBAR because of the BCS where the AP is not A-OK and in the FCS where the GPI at CSN is BS because the AGS, SNW and CSN polls aren't given enough weight, we end with guys at ESPN, NBC, ABC and CBS who can tell us what the NCAA really means by all this. xrotatehx

Post of the week. xlolx

Seahawks Fan
September 5th, 2007, 09:09 AM

I agree with part 1.

xthumbsupx

Don't know what part 2 means.

xconfusedx

andy7171
September 5th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself!

89hen is TCB today!

henfan
September 5th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Without question, 'Division I Football Bowl Subdivision' and 'Division I Football Championship Subdivision', while a mouthfull (hence, the acronyms), are far more descriptive and self-explanatory than the 'Division I-A' and 'Division I-AA' titles. Taken by themselves, 'I-A' and 'I-AA' acronyms mean absolutely nothing & were being constantly misapplied to Olympic sports. The only good thing you could say about the latter titles is that they were only slightly less confusing/inaccurate than the 'Small College Division' and 'University Division' titles used into the early 1970's.

Personally, I would have preferred the original request that I-AA leaders were pushing for: the complete elimination of D-I football subdivision nomenclature. But certain BCS leaders took issue with that idea. xsmhx

Like it or not, we'll all have to get used to the new subdivision titles. If history holds, they aren't likely going anywhere for another 30 or so years. We'll adjust.xnodx

saccat
September 5th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Isn't Mark Schlarith (sp?) from a FCS school?

andy7171
September 5th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Isn't Mark Schlarith (sp?) from a FCS school?

Schlereth played at Idaho. He was on the 1991 Redskins team, so he must have been in the I-AA level. Idaho didn't move up until the mid 90's (?). Nice call! xthumbsupx

Franks Tanks
September 5th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Schlereth played at Idaho. He was on the 1991 Redskins team, so he must have been in the I-AA level. Idaho didn't move up until the mid 90's (?). Nice call! xthumbsupx

Guys who were formerly associated with FCS have great respect for it. Lou Holtz and Jim Donnan are one of the few on ESPN who know FCS.

AZGrizFan
September 5th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Montana has one of the top rated Journalism schools in the country. Bar none. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

On a side note, there used to be a running back that played for Idaho State, then spent several years in the NFL, who was a TV analyst for ESPN for several years....can't remember his name though...

It was Merril Hoge that I was thinking of.... xreadx xreadx

lizrdgizrd
September 5th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Guys who were formerly associated with FCS have great respect for it. Lou Holtz and Jim Donnan are one of the few on ESPN who know FCS.
Lou was definitely giving App some props. xnodx

89Hen
September 5th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Without question, 'Division I Football Bowl Subdivision' and 'Division I Football Championship Subdivision', while a mouthfull (hence, the acronyms), are far more descriptive and self-explanatory than the 'Division I-A' and 'Division I-AA' titles. Taken by themselves, 'I-A' and 'I-AA' acronyms mean absolutely nothing
I can't disagree with that. However, a domesticated bovine of either sex or any age or the mature female of cattle of the genus Bos is far more descriptive than "cow" but we all get the idea with the short version. xthumbsupx