PDA

View Full Version : Conference Rivals

turfdoc
September 4th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Do you root for or against your conference rivals when they are playing non-conference opponents?

Peems
September 4th, 2007, 02:27 PM
For them.

OL FU
September 4th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Do you root for or against your conference rivals when they are playing non-conference opponents?

Depends on the time of the year and how the playoffs are stacking upxnodx

Self interest firstxthumbsupx

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Depends. 2004 I was very glad to see GSU lose to New Hampshire in the playoffs. I was happy to see App beat Michigan this weekend.

citdog
September 4th, 2007, 02:45 PM
NEVER!

EKU05
September 4th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I always root for OVC teams in non-conference action unless they happen to be facing Louisville...as was the case with Murray State last week.

NSUDemon98
September 4th, 2007, 09:52 PM

I usually try to root for other SLC members. :)

However, sometimes the things I read on other schools forums(TxSt and SHSU) make me hope they lose every game in every sport.xmadx

furpal87
September 4th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Always try to, though when Marshall was a conference member it was very hard. Have had those moments with GSU and ASU, too, though not nearly as difficult to root for them.

RadMann
September 4th, 2007, 10:11 PM
If it is Nova, no. Some conference teams I will root for depending on who they are playing...

McNeese75
September 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM
xnodx I always root for the SLC in OOC games

LUHawker
September 4th, 2007, 10:29 PM
If it is Nova, no. Some conference teams I will root for depending on who they are playing...

You must have a condundrum this weekend: Villanova @ Lehigh. :D

Bearkatpresident
September 4th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I always root for SLC when playing non-confernce games....except SFA....it's against the bylaws of my position to root for SFA

RadMann
September 4th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Well, Lehigh is somewhat off the radar screen since they won't play UD anymore. I used to really enjoy the Lehigh rivalry. I still remember when I was a student at UD and some Lehigh folks burned the letters "LEHIGH" into the Delaware Stadium turf the night before the game one year ;)

YaleFootballFan
September 4th, 2007, 11:09 PM

I root for all Ivy teams in their non-conference games, including Harvard and Princeton.

The better the Ivy's OOC record is, the better the league looks.

crunifan
September 4th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I always root for a Gateway team as long as UNI isn't playing them.

That includes NDSU and SDSU.

Also, Drake gets some support as well for being in the Valley!

PhantomCAT
September 4th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Nope, I cannot-will not cheer for the griz.
I cannot-will not cheer for the vikes.
The rest, o yea cheer like crazy for them to win.

The griz need a good taste of humble pie. Portland needs to just shut up and win some so that they can back up their talk.

Peems
September 4th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Nope, I cannot-will not cheer for the griz.
I cannot-will not cheer for the vikes.
The rest, o yea cheer like crazy for them to win.

The griz need a good taste of humble pie. Portland needs to just shut up and win some so that they can back up their talk.

Geez, I try to give the cats love and it's slapped right back in my face.:(

PhantomCAT
September 4th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Geez, I try to give the cats love and it's slapped right back in my face.:(

the last 5 or 6 years have changed things a little, but not enough for me to love up to the griz. When you lose 16 in a row to your in-state rival, you get back to me and tell me if you are still cheering for them.xthumbsupx

R.A.
September 4th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I root for Hampton and Morgan State when they play out of conference squads.

I'm rooting for Morgan State to get the W versus Towson State.

Grizalltheway
September 5th, 2007, 12:06 AM
the last 5 or 6 years have changed things a little, but not enough for me to love up to the griz. When you lose 16 in a row to your in-state rival, you get back to me and tell me if you are still cheering for them.xthumbsupx

I'll give you credit for at least admitting that's why. Unlike a certain FT around here...xwhistlex

patssle
September 5th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I always root for SLC when playing non-confernce games....except SFA....it's against the bylaws of my position to root for SFA

Same for me. Makes me happy to see SFA lose to D2 xnodx

th0m
September 5th, 2007, 04:32 AM
It's a bit bipolar for me. I'd like to see the other conference teams do well, but when they suffer an embarassing loss, I'll be the first one to laugh at them :D I wouldn't expect anything less from them, either!

Ivytalk
September 5th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Yes, except for Penn, which I always root against!

andy7171
September 5th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Unless they are playing an FBS school, it's really hard for me to root for JMU or Delaware. And I will only root for Hofstra is they are playing either UD or JMU. The rest of the CAA, I'm fine with rooting for.

bandl
September 5th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Unless they are playing an FBS school, it's really hard for me to root for JMU or Delaware. And I will only root for Hofstra is they are playing either UD or JMU. The rest of the CAA, I'm fine with rooting for.

That cuts deep xbawlingx ....I always root for Towson (except when they play JMU). Or should I say...I used to root for Towson! xmadx

;)

TheBisonator
September 5th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I root for SDSU every week they aren't playing the Bison.

andy7171
September 5th, 2007, 08:59 AM
That cuts deep xbawlingx ....I always root for Towson (except when they play JMU). Or should I say...I used to root for Towson! xmadx

;)
Just sayin. xpeacex
When I was at Towson(State) our coaches beat it into us to hate you guys at James Madison. At the time we were the longest current oppenents on each others schedule. It helped their cause that you shellacked us 3 out of the 4 years we played you. That one victory was sweet though xsmiley_wix Nothing like kneeling on it on your 8 yard line to kill the clock.

Plus I can't stand purple.

lizrdgizrd
September 5th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I always root for conference rivals in OOC games. xnodx

Khan4Cats
September 5th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I always root for conference foes in OOC games. I also root for the FCS teams to do well against non-FCS opponents. I guess I don;t see the point of putting teams down so much so that when you beat them it must mean they suck, and should they beat you, then... well, what does that say about your team? If UNI is going to lose, I want it to be against quality opposition that does well. Be the best or get beat by the best.

letsgopards04
September 5th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I root for all PL teams except Lehigh in OOC games. Haha just kidding, I will root for Lehigh if it we were playoffs or if they played a top notch OOC opponent. All for the glory of the league.

saccat
September 5th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I don't root for UM. Do you think Ohio State was rooting for Michigan?
Or that Texas was rooting for Texas A&M? No they were not. Do I respect what the other team does? Yes, but I will never pull for them to win. THAT is
what a Rivalry is.

GaSouthern
September 5th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Depends on the time of the year and how the playoffs are stacking upxnodx

Self interest firstxthumbsupx

Exactly, but for the most part, I want everyone we play to go as undefeated as possible and get beat by us :)