PDA

View Full Version : CAA Week 2 Predictions

GannonFan
September 4th, 2007, 01:49 PM
My picks:

Northeastern 35 Richmond 21 - Parson's Field works its magic on yet another opponent. Richmond is still too susceptible to a passing attack and Orio should have a good day for the Huskies.

Army 31 Rhode Island 14 - Disappointing loss for the Rams last week to a so-so Fordham squad. Army isn't anything special, but they are better than Rhode Island.

Lehigh 24 villanova 21 - These games are always close between these two. Lehigh is playing it's first game while nova is coming off a loss to Maryland. nova didn't play terribly against Maryland, especially considering two true freshmen started on the o-line, but I see Lehigh being fresher and now they have a game tape on nova - close one going to the home team in this one.

William and Mary 42 VMI 21 - W&M wasn't as bad as UD made them out to be last week, just a big day from Cuff. W&M isn't a great defensive team, but VMI will be hard pressed to come anywhere equal to the Hens performance. Phillips finally looks comfortable and Atchison could be am emerging star at TE. I still don't think VMI is any good and W&M wins easily yet again for what will be the 22nd time in a row.

UMass 31 Colgate 14 - In any other year this game would be trouble for UMass who inexplicably always struggle at Andy Kerr Field. I don't think it's this year. UMass is just too good and Colgate isn't what they used to be. Nevermind UMass's brainfreeze in the second half against Holy Cross last week - they dominated that game and may have already started to think about Colgate and they still won by double digits. UMass wins easily here - there's no snow yet to moan about.

JMU 41 New Hampshire 35 - I was tempted to go with UNH here, as JMU entered the post-Rascati era on a real flat note with a bad outing at Chapel Hill last week. There's still a lot of questions whether Landers can throw the ball well enough to be a credible threat, but JMU can still run the ball and I'm not sure UNH has a defensive answer for it. The JMU defense, again, got lit up by an underwhelming passer so that's a concern facing Santos, who threw for great numbers even against last year's JMU defense, so I think UNH scores. However, the game's in Harrisonburg and I don't know who Santos will even be throwing to. UNH could surprise here and a young WR could use this game to make a name, but I'm going with the safer bet for now.

Towson 42 Morgan St 41 - Towson could be in trouble here - Morgan St can run the ball (Simpson is a player) and Towson's D doesn't look good against the run. And Morgan St, as bad as they've been, has given Towson trouble in the past, especially at home (which is odd considering they aren't that far apart geographically - maybe it's the uniforms??). Towson has UMass and UD on the horizon the next two weeks so they could start feeling the pressure of playing as the favorites. This backyard game goes down to the wire and Towson eekes it out.

UConn 21 Maine 3 - Geez, if Maine had any offense I'd go with them here - UConn isn't all that great this year, and Maine's defense is very, very good. However, they have no offense right now and that's a problem when you have to score to win. Maine plays the game close, but can't mount enough offense to win.

Delaware 42 West Chester 17 - UD's offense could be scary good this year if Flacco and Cuff stay healthy. The defense still has its warts, but held W&M to 10 points through 3 quarters. West Chester is very good this year, almost cracking the DII top 10 in preseason. This won't be a DII walkover game. However, they have nothing to stop UD's offense and UD's defense looks good against the run.

Hofstra 21 Furman 17 - Going with the upset here. Hofstra was in every game they played last year, they just didn't win many of them. They play solid defense and Violante is back. I'm a believer in Cohen, and I'm a believer that Furman doesn't travel well - I like Hofstra's chances for an upset here.

andy7171
September 4th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Gannon Fan you sure do hate Towson don't yee? xnodx

Wait, is this dejavous? xsmiley_wix xpeacex

GannonFan
September 4th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Gannon Fan you sure do hate Towson don't yee? xnodx

Wait, is this dejavous? xsmiley_wix xpeacex

Just wait until you see the whupping I predict UMass will put on Towson the following week, then you'll really think I hate Towson (which I don't of course)!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx If I hate Towson, imagine the ire I'll be getting from the fans of teams I actually pick to lose games this week!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xpeacex

BlueHen86
September 4th, 2007, 02:09 PM
UConn 35 Maine 17
Army 28 URI 7
Northeastern 28 Richmond 14
UMass 31 Colgate 14
Villanova 24 Lehigh 21
W&M 21 VMI 17
Towson 21 Morgan St 14
JMU 35 UNH 20
Del 42 West Chester 13
Furman 28 Hofstra 20

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2007, 02:38 PM
The big question for me in the Furman/Hofstra game is how much of a difference it will make in this being Hofs first game and Furman's second.

Umass74
September 4th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Please, please, pleeeze, Black Bears beat UConn. :)

OL FU
September 4th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Edited to withdraw the question

89Hen
September 4th, 2007, 02:43 PM
UConn 28 - Maine 10
Army 27 - URI 14
Northeastern 28 - Richmond 14
UMass 35 - Colgate 17
Lehigh 31 - Villanova 17
W&M 45 - VMI 0
Towson 42 - Morgan St 10
UNH 35 - JMU 31
Delaware 56 - West Chester 17
Furman 31 - Hofstra 10

TigerFan17
September 4th, 2007, 04:10 PM
UConn 17 - Maine 10 Go Black Bears....make me wrong!

Army 38 - URI 3 Writing the final chapters of Why We Dropped Football: The URI Story

Northeastern 21 - Richmond 10 The fall from grace continues for UR.

UMass 35 - Colgate 17 Building steam up north. Can the Tigers test them next week? xeyebrowx

Lehigh 28 - Villanova 17 Bah.

W&M 38 - VMI 7 Brains over brawn? :D

Towson 33 - Morgan St 10 Okay, we got the crap out of our system. Now lets take care of business.

JMU 34 - UNH 17 Not sold on UNH - David Ball.

Delaware 17 - West Chester 16 Take that, GannonFan!! xrotatehx

Furman 31 - Hofstra 28 Bah.

TheValleyRaider
September 4th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Richmond at Northeastern Northeastern Home-field Huskies get back after taking their lumps at Northwestern

Rhode Island at Army Army Black Knights not great, but definately a cut above Fordham, and these Rams too

Villanova at Lehigh Lehigh I picked Lehigh to win the PL this year, and beating 'Nova at home is a great way to start a big campaign for the Hawks

William & Mary at VMI William & Mary VMI doesn't have Omar Cuff, and their D isn't quite as good as UD's was last week either

Massachusetts at Colgate Colgate Yeah, that's right, I said it

New Hampshire at James Madison New Hampshire Santos begins his campaign for back-to-back Paytons strong enough, Wildcats outshoot Dukes

Towson at Morgan State Towson Tigers build on big early win by beating local rival

Maine at Connecticut Maine Black Bears always play their FBS opposition tough, too physical and too much will for the mediocre Huskies

West Chester at Delaware Delaware But Rams D beats W&M by holding Omar to fewer than 7 touchdowns

Furman at Hofstra Furman Getting first game jitters out of the way already gives Paladins enough of an advantage to edge Pride on Long Island

redspider
September 4th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Richmond at Northeastern-With an improved spider offense the overated huskies go down.

Rhode Island at Army Black Knights- Any serious person knows the Rams will lose this one but any given saturday.

Villanova at Lehigh- Patriot Leauge seems to be doing good so far and this maybe another win for them.

William & Mary at VMI- Come on VMI, even W&M will win this one.

Massachusetts at Colgate- UMass will be to much for Colgate.

New Hampshire at James Madison- This is probabaly the hardest to predict but I have to give the edge to JMU but I definetly can't be positive.

Towson at Morgan State- Towson gets an easy win.

Maine at Connecticut- UConn will be to much for the Maine.

West Chester at Delaware- This will be a blowout.

Furman at Hofstra- Would like to see Hofstra win but it wont happen Furman is to strong and will win this one.

AndrewFU21
September 4th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I'm curious as to what you guys make of Hofstra. I was pretty impressed with them in 2005, but they certainly took a step back last year. Looking through their media guide though made me think that they could have been better than 2-9, as they had a lot of odd games last year, such as their loss to UNH where apparently the weather was so bad that neither team could throw the ball all day.

It seems that their new coach has introduced a more run-based offense, which seems to bode well for us, as FU is more accustomed to run first offenses and struggled against the pass last year. Also, they no longer have Coulson or their 3 year starter at QB who ate us up in 2005. Also, this being their first game of the year ought to be an advantage for us. On the other side, making the trek to Long Island makes me a little nervous, as does our not-so-great track record against the CAA.

dpd
September 4th, 2007, 08:46 PM
unh 30 jmu 21
richmond 21 n'eastern 16
hofstra 23 furman 21
villanova 24 lehigh 18
umass 30 colgate 17
wm & mary 33 vmi 21
towson 35 morgan st 10
army 33 uri 14
uconn 35 maine 17
delaware 40 w. chester 21

rcny46
September 4th, 2007, 09:17 PM
UConn 17 - Maine 10 Go Black Bears....make me wrong!

Army 38 - URI 3 Writing the final chapters of Why We Dropped Football: The URI Story

Northeastern 21 - Richmond 10 The fall from grace continues for UR.

UMass 35 - Colgate 17 Building steam up north. Can the Tigers test them next week? xeyebrowx

Lehigh 28 - Villanova 17 Bah.

W&M 38 - VMI 7 Brains over brawn? :D

Towson 33 - Morgan St 10 Okay, we got the crap out of our system. Now lets take care of business.

JMU 34 - UNH 17 Not sold on UNH - David Ball.

Delaware 17 - West Chester 16 Take that, GannonFan!! xrotatehx

Furman 31 - Hofstra 28 Bah.

I think UNH's passing game will be better than last year's,the loss of David Ball notwithstanding.I look for the TE to be utilized a lot more,and there seems to be a more than competent group of WR's available.Injuries could play a role this week though;The starting TE,center (the anchor of a respectable OL),and `06's leading rusher are all questionable from what I have heard/read.
Of all the games this week in the CAA,I find this one the hardest to predict-I really don't know what to expect from UNH.As for the rest,I'll go with Army,W&M,Villanova,UMass,Towson,UD,Richmond, UConn,and Furman.

RadMann
September 4th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Richmond at Northeastern - Northeastern by 3

Rhode Island at Army - Army by 17

Villanova at Lehigh - Lehigh by 1

William & Mary at VMI - Bill and Mary by 14

Massachusetts at Colgate - Colgate by 1

New Hampshire at James Madison - JMU by 7

Towson at Morgan State - TU by 3

Maine at Connecticut - UConn by 11

West Chester at Delaware - UD by 10

Furman at Hofstra - Furman by 7

R.A.
September 5th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Morgan's going to beat Towson... by at least two touchdowns.

BDKJMU
September 5th, 2007, 01:35 AM
My picks:

JMU 41 New Hampshire 35 - I was tempted to go with UNH here, as JMU entered the post-Rascati era on a real flat note with a bad outing at Chapel Hill last week. There's still a lot of questions whether Landers can throw the ball well enough to be a credible threat, but JMU can still run the ball and I'm not sure UNH has a defensive answer for it. The JMU defense, again, got lit up by an underwhelming passer so that's a concern facing Santos, who threw for great numbers even against last year's JMU defense, so I think UNH scores. However, the game's in Harrisonburg and I don't know who Santos will even be throwing to. UNH could surprise here and a young WR could use this game to make a name, but I'm going with the safer bet for now.

Good analysis GannonFan. I would like to point out that while Santos did pass for 352 against JMU last year, 173 of that was in the 4th quarter, 157 after JMU went up 42-10 and went into a prevent.

Now JMU was missing 2 starters in their secondary for the UNC game.
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=12025&CHID=3

McCollough was listed in the UNC game notes (which came out early last week before the news of the DUI suspension) as the starting weak safety. If you look at the UNH game notes, Adams is now listed as the starting weak safety and McCollough as #2. McGee isn't listed on the 2 deep at all. (scroll down to last page)
http://www.jmusports.com/downloads1/23791.pdf?ATCLID=1207030&SPSID=71029&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400

But according to the DNR article and Coach Matthews, McGee and McCollough are the 2 starting corners. If that is the case, then thats just another silver lining about the UNC game. JMU was hurt at least depth wise without McGee and McCollough trying to cover those stud UNC receivers. And if McGee isn't back for UNH, although it sounds like it might be, that could hurt.

JMU despite losing 2 starting d lineman and both starting LBs from last year (although one of JMUs starting LBs started in 05') looked pretty stout against UNC against the run (100 yards on 34 carries, 2.9 avg) and should be against UNH. Now JMU's secondary returns 4 of 5 starters this season (JMU has 2 corners and 3 safeties, one of who is almost a hybrid LB) plus their 2 deep, and is certainly deeper and better than last yr IF full strength (the article stated both would play against UNH). But the pass rush isn't as good as last year, which lead all of I-AA in sacks. I know UNH lost Ball. but still I think Santos will pass for around the 352 that he did last year, and UNH will rush for more than the 9 yards that they did last year (but still under 100).

JMU did rush for 150 against UNC on 44 carries, 3.4 a carry. UNH has 6 starters back on de (according to the CAA preview giude) from last yr, when JMU ran for 259. JMU with their read option offense will be even more heavily reliant on the run this year, and will rush for even more yards per game than they did last year (218). UNC was the 1st game with this new offense, and UNC's defense definitely has more talent than UNH's. I look for JMU to get that read option (same/similar offense as ASU & WVU) going against UNH, and if UNH's run defense is no better than last year, then JMU could really rack up some yards.

JMU's punting game against UNC (7 punts for an avg of 29 yds (that includes the blocked punt I think)) was HORRIBLE and if they don't get that together that could be a major factor.

Remember, got rid of those rules from last year that really shortened the games by quite a few plays, which means more offense.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-09-03-time-football_N.htm?csp=34
Bottom line, UNH racks up the passing yards, JMU racks up the rushing yards. I think this one could be a high scoring affair. I'll admit there's a little homer in me (I did pick UNC to beat JMU, albeit by 7) and predict JMU 42, UNH 38

Umass74
September 5th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I'm curious as to what you guys make of Hofstra. I was pretty impressed with them in 2005, but they certainly took a step back last year. Looking through their media guide though made me think that they could have been better than 2-9, as they had a lot of odd games last year, such as their loss to UNH where apparently the weather was so bad that neither team could throw the ball all day.

It seems that their new coach has introduced a more run-based offense, which seems to bode well for us, as FU is more accustomed to run first offenses and struggled against the pass last year. Also, they no longer have Coulson or their 3 year starter at QB who ate us up in 2005. Also, this being their first game of the year ought to be an advantage for us. On the other side, making the trek to Long Island makes me a little nervous, as does our not-so-great track record against the CAA.

The Pride is on the second year of a change-over from the high-octane offense they used in the past. For years, Hofstra did not even have a single TE on the roster. They went four wide and threw it down field. If you were a WR and wanted to go to the NFL, Gardi's offense was the place to be.

The new coach is the former defensive coach from Delaware. Last year they did not do anything really well. They do have 9 defensive starters returning (the most in the CAA) so they should be really good defensively this year. They were dead last in rushing offense and scoring offense in the CAA last year. If they can improve those totals, they could be a good team in '07. Furman will be a good test to see how much they've got this year.

HensRock
September 5th, 2007, 07:59 AM

R.A.,
What makes you think so? I'm curious to hear more please.

WrenFGun
September 5th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I won't comment on all the games, but I will mention, if Hofstra is anything like last year, Furman will have a close game but will rarely feel threatened.

I wanted to comment a bit on the comments above about the JMU/UNH game, as I think UNH defenses will be much improved from past seasons. While they will be far from stalwarts, UNH returns a number of very good defensive players, including LB Matt Parent, LB Husain Karim, S Jeff Pammer, CB John Clements and DL Marvin Wright. They have had big springs from both S Hugo Souza and CB Dino Vasso, and I've heard nothing but good things about LB Terrance Klein. Their DL is a significant question mark, but it should not be any worse than in year's past. I don't expect them to be dominant, but I think it's unfair to right them off already. They have been pretty good this spring.

I'm hopeful that how undersized their defense is will allow them to at least play the outside option pretty well. They should be able to cause some havoc moving to the outside, and that might be a problem for JMU. JMU has a huge advantage, having played a game already, but UNH tends to open well. Hopefully that will continue.

As a caveat for those who have not kept tabs on UNH much, don't expect the loss of David Ball to hurt the team too much. Santos has quite a comfort zone going with Keith Levan, and he also believes in Mike Boyle and Scott Sicko quite a bit. UNH should also have an improved running game, with Bobby Simpson and Chad Kackert getting a year older. Perhaps Chris Ward might even figure out what he's doing, finally.

With that said, I think this game will be something like 23-20, or 27-23, and either way, I'm going UNH, because I'm a huge homer.

andy7171
September 5th, 2007, 08:29 AM
That's just crazy talk!
xlolx

WrenFGun
September 5th, 2007, 08:35 AM
UConn 13 Maine 3
Army 20 URI 7
Northeastern 20 Richmond 14
UMass 27 Colgate 10
Villanova 17 Lehigh 21
W&M 30 VMI 13
Towson 28 Morgan St 10
JMU 23 UNH 27
Del 55 West Chester 7
Furman 20 Hofstra 3

Col Hogan
September 5th, 2007, 09:15 AM
UMass 36 Colgate 21
Army 28 URI 14
Northeastern 17 Richmond 10
Lehigh 14 Villanova 13
W&M 21 VMI 10
Towson 28 Morgan St 12
UNH 21 JMU 20
Maine 14 UConn 12
Furman 28 Hofstra 21
UD 40 West Chester 10Really, I think JMU/UNH is too close to call IMHO and I like Maine as the upset of the week...

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2007, 10:03 AM
If Hofstra has a good defense, it should be a good game. Furman is a dangerous team with the ball when they are healthy.

WrenFGun
September 5th, 2007, 10:22 AM
I did stumble upon an interesting, and somewhat disappointing tidbit from UNH. Sean Ware, who played a good deal as the LB/5th DB/Whatever Muji Karim wasn't playing last season, came down with an ACL injury and won't be available until, at the earliest, October. That's why Terrence Klein got the shot, as they seem like similar sets.

To give JMU an idea of who UNH will start on the line, my best bet is that they'll go with Marvin Wright and TJ Taylor on the inside, with Matt Perdoni and Kevin Peters on the outside. Not much experience there, but we'll see. We have a bit more depth than usual, but I'm still concerned about the position.

Should be an awesome game, though.

Umass74
September 5th, 2007, 10:26 AM
JMU's coach said on the telephone media conference that JMU's All-conference TB Eugene Holloman got a shoulder separation at North Carolina and may not be available this week.

GannonFan
September 5th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I won't comment on all the games, but I will mention, if Hofstra is anything like last year, Furman will have a close game but will rarely feel threatened.

Wow - great line - that's an excellent job of summing up Hofstra last year. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
September 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM
JMU's coach said on the telephone media conference that JMU's All-conference TB Eugene Holloman got a shoulder separation at North Carolina and may not be available this week.

Holloman Sore, But Expected To Start
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=12036&CHID=3

I expect to see Holloman. He is a great tandem (smaller (175-180) back with great spped and quickness along with a super athlete Landers at QB to run that read option, zone blocking, no huddle spread offense. If Holloman doesn't play, hell, I may change my prediction to from JMU by 4 to UNH by 3 or even 10, as JMU's 2nd and 3rd TBs are a big drop off from Holloman.

HensRock
September 5th, 2007, 02:21 PM
UMass huge over Colgate
URI small over Army
Northeastern medium over Richmond
Nova small over Lehigh
W&M big over VMI
Towson medium over Morgan St
UNH medium over JMU
UConn medium over Maine
Furman small-medium over Hofstra
UD blowout over West Chester

where:
"small" = 1-3 points
"medium" = 4-10 points
"big" = 11-21 points
"huge" = 22-42 points
"Blowout" = 43+ points

rcny46
September 5th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Holloman Sore, But Expected To Start
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=12036&CHID=3

I expect to see Holloman. He is a great tandem (smaller (175-180) back with great spped and quickness along with a super athlete Landers at QB to run that read option, zone blocking, no huddle spread offense. If Holloman doesn't play, hell, I may change my prediction to from JMU by 4 to UNH by 3 or even 10, as JMU's 2nd and 3rd TBs are a big drop off from Holloman.

Thanks for the link;I enjoyed reading the article.I was surprised to learn that UNH led the A-10 in rushing TD's last year.

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 5th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Might as well chime in:

UMASS 42 Colgate 7. Colgate ain't what it used to be. Coen goes wild for Don Brown and the Minutemen as he gets all day to throw from the pocket, ...
Army 45 URI 14. URI has to prove it can play defense first.
Richmond 14 Northeastern 10. Almost an upset, but no cigar!-even at Home. NU will pull its share of upsets this year, though!
Villanova 17 Lehigh 14. Semi-Upset here. Villanova learned some things defensively from Maryland game.
W&M 28 VMI 7. The Tribe will score and come up big defensively.
Towson 35 Morgan St 21. Passing Offense carries TSU.
UNH 42 JMU 41. Assuming both Chad Kackert & Mike Boyle are healthy.
UCONN 35 UMaine 14. Sorry, UCONN is just too strong offensively. Huskies' DJ Hernandez scores 3 TD's at TE.
Hofstra 21 Furman 17. Upset Special. Hofstra pulls it out with defensive stop at end of the game!
Delaware 62 West Chester 7. Omar Cuff scores 7 more TD's as UD solidifies itself as a Top 10 Team early on this year.

And, just one more: App State 92 Lenoir Rhyne 7 :D

GeeWiz
September 5th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Richmond at Northeastern-With an improved spider offense the overated huskies go down.

We're predicted to finish 4th in our divsion and had no All-CAA Preseason Offensive or Defensive Team players (while UR had four of them) ...

... and NU is overrated?

xlolx

Nebuta
September 6th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Richmond at Northeastern - Toss up. I will take Northeastern by 1 point cause they are at home.

Rhode Island at Army - Rhode Island keeps it close for 3 quarters, but in the end Army is too much. Army by 9.

Villanova at Lehigh - Nova gets a big win on the road, and wins by less then a TD.

William & Mary at VMI - W&M offense will continue to score and is just too much for VMI's Defense. W&M by 14.

Massachusetts at Colgate - Game will not be close. UMASS wins comfortably. UMASS by 24.

New Hampshire at James Madison - UNH by less then a TD. JMU plays great, but some how Santos finds a way to win on the road.

Towson at Morgan State - Towson wins by 12. Close at beginning, but Towson's offense begins to click on all cyclinders in the 2nd half.

Maine at Connecticut - Maine plays great on the road, but just isnt enough. Connecticut wins by 6.

West Chester at Delaware - Although Delaware's helmet may look a bit like Michgan. This will be not be a repeat of last week's upset for. Just too many weapons for Delaware's well balanced offense. Delaware by 27.

Furman at Hofstra - Furman wins a close on the road. Furman by 3.

JMU Duke Dog
September 6th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Richmond at Northeastern
Rhode Island at Army
Villanova at Lehigh
William & Mary at VMI
Massachusetts at Colgate
New Hampshire at James Madison
Towson at Morgan State
Maine at Connecticut
West Chester at Delaware
Furman at Hofstra

If JMU loses this weekend and starts 0-2 out of the gate and these losses are due to turnovers by Landers (3 against UNC last week), then we will start hearing calls for Drew Dudzik at QB. I am predicting JMU to lose based on the revenge factor from Santos and Co. and mental mistakes (turnovers, penalties, poor special teams execution) at costly times for the Dukes.

Spider
September 6th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I've only got one prediction: SPIDERS OVER NE.......

dpd
September 6th, 2007, 07:23 PM
spiders over nebraska? nevada? new mexico? don't keep us in suspense, man!

GeeWiz
September 6th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Northeastern 24 Richmond 20 - Huskies lost 12-7 last year in Richmond and return the favor in Brookline.
Army 27 URI 14 - Tim Stowers' seat gets hotter and hotter.
Villanova 31 Lehigh 28 - 'Cats late field goal gives CAA a win over the Patriot Lg.
W&M 34 VMI 17 - Tribe rebounds after disappointing performance last week
UMass 27 Colgate 17 - UMass scuffles with the Red Raiders again, but this time come away w/ the victory in Hamilton, NY
JMU 31 UNH 21 - Dukes come out blazin' and coast to a win
Towson 24 Morgan State 17 - Tigers sweat out a close one vs. their Baltimore area rivals
UConn 24 Maine 13 - If the Dirty Cubs had Whitcomb they pull this one out, but the "other" Huskies hang on in this one
Delaware 49 West Chester 14 - Don't know why UDee continues to play this opponent
Furman 28 Hofstra 20 - Paladins come from behind to pull out a close victory

saint0917
September 7th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Maine Over Connecticut xthumbsupx GO MAINE
Rhode Island Over Army xthumbsupx GO URI
Massachusetts Over Colgate, Colgate wins if it snows :p
William & Mary Over Va Military
New Hampshire Over James Madison
Towson Over Morgan State
Cal Poly Over Idaho xthumbsupx GO CAL POLY
Furman Over Hofstra
Delaware Over West Chester

Ivytalk
September 7th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Northeastern over Richmond
Army over URI
Lehigh over Nova
W&M over VMI
UMass over Colgate
JMU over UNH
Towson over Morgan St.
UConn over Maine
Delaware over West Chester
Furman over Hofstra

89Hen
September 7th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Cal Poly Over Idaho xthumbsupx GO CAL POLY
xconfusedx You seeing if we're awake? :p

th0m
September 7th, 2007, 09:39 AM

When talking about NE and the CAA, NE means Northeastern.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 7th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Makes me laugh to see how the Mason Dixon line has more or less decided who predicts who to win on Saturdays. xlolx One great thing about our conference, a serious divide between the North and the South. You gotta love it! Go Dukes, Spiders, Tribe, Tigers, Wildcats... and... hens xoopsx xsmiley_wix

Winners will be:

JMU over UNH
NU over UR
W&M over VMI
Lehigh over Villanova
Army over URI
UMass over Colgate
Towson over Morgan St.
UConn over Maine
Hofstra over Furman

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 7th, 2007, 10:09 AM
When talking about NE and the CAA, NE means Northeastern.

C'mon th0m! You know better than that, or have you been in Europe too long? NU = Northeastern

Or just call them Boston University - I'm sure that'll piss 'em off nicely! :p

bandl
September 7th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Repeat post :(

th0m
September 7th, 2007, 10:19 AM
C'mon th0m! You know better than that, or have you been in Europe too long? NU = Northeastern

Or just call them Boston University - I'm sure that'll piss 'em off nicely! :p

Well yeah but a lot of people also call them NE so I thought I'd clarify.

And yes, I have been in Europe too long, can't watch half the games, let alone attend them xmadx

bandl
September 7th, 2007, 10:21 AM
JMU over UNH – Much like last year, JMU will easily roll over UNH, despite all the hype
NU over UR – UR continues to fall out of the upper echelon of the former A-10/now CAA, while NU continues to rise
W&M over VMI – W&M will struggle mightily this year, but not against VMI
Lehigh over Villanova – poor, poor Villanova will suffer greatly
Delaware over West Chester – Delaware wins easily, but only by keeping in their 1st string offense on the field most of the game because the defense didn’t even show up
Army over URI – Army is very beatable by a I-AA, but URI is not quite up to the task
Colgate over Umass –Was the 30 points given up last week a fluke, or a sign of times to come for UMass? Colgate wins.
Towson over Morgan St. – Towson will easily roll over Morgan State in this practice game before they face UMass next week
UConn over Maine – Maine keeps it close, but ultimately loses out to depth in the 4th quarter (not that UConn is the definition of a team with depth)
Furman over Hofstra – Furman’s D wins in convincing fashion by all but shutting out the Hofstra offense

TheValleyRaider
September 7th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Colgate over Umass –Was the 30 points given up last week a fluke, or a sign of times to come for UMass? UMass still wins

For a moment there, I liked you. Now, I'm not so sure...xeyebrowx

saint0917
September 7th, 2007, 10:41 AM
xconfusedx You seeing if we're awake? :p

I tried to sneak it in, you got me. :p

bandl
September 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM
For a moment there, I liked you. Now, I'm not so sure...xeyebrowx

That's because I'm an idiot! I was editing too much, and forgot to make that correction...:o

Fixed it for ya! xnodx

Dukie95
September 7th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Well yeah but a lot of people also call them NE so I thought I'd clarify.

And yes, I have been in Europe too long, can't watch half the games, let alone attend them xmadx

Well, watching half the games is better than you had in previous seasons. :)

My take...

JMU over UNH
NU over UR
W&M over VMI
Lehigh over Villanova
Army over URI
UMass over Colgate
Towson over Morgan St.
UConn over Maine
Furman over Hofstra

bkrownd
September 7th, 2007, 12:27 PM

How much phlegm do you have to hack up to get it right? I've heard the dutch are proud of how difficult their language can be for foreigners. ;)

Send me a bottle of korenwijn...never been able to get that in the US.

Tribefan
September 7th, 2007, 12:43 PM
If Maine beats UConn that really would be something. I was at the UConn-Duke game in Durham last weekend. UConn's special teams is still pretty shaky. However DJ Hernandez looked really good at WR.

UConn also has a 6-5 220lb JUCO All American at QB now named Tyler Lorenzen. He looked really impressive in his debut going 22-30 for 299 yards two TDs and one INT. He also rushed for 66 yards so he is pretty mobile. The Huskies didn't get much production 2nd All Big East RB Donald Brown, but it really didn't matter.

Granted it was just Duke, but the game was a total blowout.

I think Maine will put up a better fight than URI did last season. Maine's best hope is that they use a mobile QB and that sort of thing really baffled UConn's defense last season.

TheValleyRaider
September 7th, 2007, 02:39 PM
That's because I'm an idiot! I was editing too much, and forgot to make that correction...:o

Fixed it for ya! xnodx

I knew there was a reason I liked you xthumbsupx

th0m
September 7th, 2007, 03:04 PM
How much phlegm do you have to hack up to get it right? I've heard the dutch are proud of how difficult their language can be for foreigners. ;)

Send me a bottle of korenwijn...never been able to get that in the US.

Never had Korenwijn, but I think it's a bit like what we call 'Jenever" over here. I was shocked to see that one of the Dutch jenever-brands is actually really popular overseas, called "Ketel One" (or, Ketel Een, in Dutch). But I think it's marketed as vodka and actually tastes ok, the jeneverstuff in Holland is, my opinion of course, some of the worst licquor I've ever drank. Maybe the korenwijn is better though!

If you want me to send you a bottle, PM me or something and perhaps we can hook something up.

And yes, we do pride ourselves in the difficulty of our language for foreigners. It's mostly the pronunciation and the fact that we use an insane amounts of proverbs and vernacular.

Or to paraphrase from the book "The Undutchables", our way of thinking when others try to speak our langauge: "Thanks for trying, but please stop butchering our language now" :D

bkrownd
September 7th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Never had Korenwijn, but I think it's a bit like what we call 'Jenever" over here.

They're related. Korenwijn is aged in oak. I believe it's illegal to ship alcohol into Hawai'i, which is part of my problem. I can't get limoncello or good wines here either. :( I used to get korenwijn while passing through Schiphol.

th0m
September 7th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Yikes, that's gotta suck.

Spider
September 7th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Let's see if you're smart enough to figure it out.....xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
September 7th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Quick count so far has 12 picking JMU, 11 for UNH (including 1 JMU fan, the only one from the 2 schools picking the other school). Remove JMU & UNH fans, its 8 for JMU 6 for UNH. Yep, just like the picks, the game I think will be close.

As far as all the picks:
UConn over Maine- think this one will be less than 2 TDs

Army over URI-by at least 3 TDs

Northeastern over Richmond in another close one- NU too tough at Parson's

UMass over Colgate- at least 2 TDs

Villanova over Lehigh in another close one

W&M over VMI by about 2 TDs- closer than usual- W&M still down, VMI is improved

Towson over Morgan St by at least 3 TDs. Morgan State won big last week against Savannah St 47-7, but also lost to Towson last yr 30-2, and Towson is better this yr.

JMU 42 UNH 38 as I earlier predicted

Del 52 West Chester 17

Furman over Hofstra by a couple TDs.

JMU_Fan_2007
September 7th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I'm not going to make predictions, but I think those making predictions should know that JMU played with two backup cornerbacks last weekend at UNC against by far the best receivers we will play this year. One starting corner was out recovering from injury and the other was being disciplined. They will both be playing Saturday against UNH. Let's hope it makes a difference!

redspider
September 8th, 2007, 07:43 PM
So how stupid does everyone on here that picked Northeastern to win look, considering it was just about everyone except spider fans. The game was not even close I said in the post earlier
Richmond 49 Northeastern 14

89Hen
September 8th, 2007, 07:48 PM
So how stupid does everyone on here that picked Northeastern to win look
Almost as stupid as... xrolleyesx xcoffeex

RadMann
September 8th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned, but Cuff had four first half TDs in UD's win tonight. UD won 41 - 14.

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/fb07-westchester.html

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/images/fb07-thaxton-1(bb)_lg.jpg

GannonFan
September 8th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned, but Cuff had four first half TDs in UD's win tonight. UD won 41 - 14.

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/fb07-westchester.html

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/images/fb07-thaxton-1(bb)_lg.jpg

And of course, that picture is not of Cuff, but of true freshman Thaxton, who went off for 170 yards tonight in his first collegiate action. xthumbsupx

RadMann
September 8th, 2007, 11:52 PM
The pic was simply the pic related to the game from the UD website.

89Hen
September 9th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Very good week for the CAA... Hoftstra over Furman, Nova over Lehigh and URI could very easily have beaten Army. xthumbsupx

Col Hogan
September 9th, 2007, 11:14 AM
UMass 36 Colgate 21
Army 28 URI 14
Northeastern 17 Richmond 10
Lehigh 14 Villanova 13
W&M 21 VMI 10
Towson 28 Morgan St 12
UNH 21 JMU 20
Maine 14 UConn 12
Furman 28 Hofstra 21
UD 40 West Chester 10Really, I think JMU/UNH is too close to call IMHO and I like Maine as the upset of the week...

Let's review...

UMass - Too many mistakes again...but another win...would not want to be in their practice this week...:(
URI - xeekx They stayed in the game...losing in OT...Good Job anyway...
Richmond - OK, I drank the Northeastern koolaide...I've learned my lesson...xoopsx
Villanova - I said it would be close...I just went the wrong way
W&M - Good bounce back from 1st week pounding
Towson - Wins the Balmer' Battle
JMU - Made an outstanding Santos look just good in 2nd half...great win... xthumbsupx
Maine...Maine...Maine...did you leave your "O" at home? :o
Hofstra - Pulls a good win over a ranked Socon team.....xthumbsupx
UD - Next!!!!! xcoffeex

Record - 5-5 xoopsx

BDKJMU
September 9th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Good analysis GannonFan. I would like to point out that while Santos did pass for 352 against JMU last year, 173 of that was in the 4th quarter, 157 after JMU went up 42-10 and went into a prevent.

Now JMU was missing 2 starters in their secondary for the UNC game.
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=12025&CHID=3

McCollough was listed in the UNC game notes (which came out early last week before the news of the DUI suspension) as the starting weak safety. If you look at the UNH game notes, Adams is now listed as the starting weak safety and McCollough as #2. McGee isn't listed on the 2 deep at all. (scroll down to last page)
http://www.jmusports.com/downloads1/23791.pdf?ATCLID=1207030&SPSID=71029&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400

But according to the DNR article and Coach Matthews, McGee and McCollough are the 2 starting corners. If that is the case, then thats just another silver lining about the UNC game. JMU was hurt at least depth wise without McGee and McCollough trying to cover those stud UNC receivers. And if McGee isn't back for UNH, although it sounds like it might be, that could hurt.

JMU despite losing 2 starting d lineman and both starting LBs from last year (although one of JMUs starting LBs started in 05') looked pretty stout against UNC against the run (100 yards on 34 carries, 2.9 avg) and should be against UNH. Now JMU's secondary returns 4 of 5 starters this season (JMU has 2 corners and 3 safeties, one of who is almost a hybrid LB) plus their 2 deep, and is certainly deeper and better than last yr IF full strength (the article stated both would play against UNH). But the pass rush isn't as good as last year, which lead all of I-AA in sacks. I know UNH lost Ball. but still I think Santos will pass for around the 352 that he did last year, and UNH will rush for more than the 9 yards that they did last year (but still under 100).

JMU did rush for 150 against UNC on 44 carries, 3.4 a carry. UNH has 6 starters back on de (according to the CAA preview giude) from last yr, when JMU ran for 259. JMU with their read option offense will be even more heavily reliant on the run this year, and will rush for even more yards per game than they did last year (218). UNC was the 1st game with this new offense, and UNC's defense definitely has more talent than UNH's. I look for JMU to get that read option (same/similar offense as ASU & WVU) going against UNH, and if UNH's run defense is no better than last year, then JMU could really rack up some yards.

JMU's punting game against UNC (7 punts for an avg of 29 yds (that includes the blocked punt I think)) was HORRIBLE and if they don't get that together that could be a major factor.

Remember, got rid of those rules from last year that really shortened the games by quite a few plays, which means more offense.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-09-03-time-football_N.htm?csp=34
Bottom line, UNH racks up the passing yards, JMU racks up the rushing yards. I think this one could be a high scoring affair. I'll admit there's a little homer in me (I did pick UNC to beat JMU, albeit by 7) and predict JMU 42, UNH 38

I said:
"I know UNH lost Ball. but still I think Santos will pass for around the 352 that he did last year, and UNH will rush for more than the 9 yards that they did last year (but still under 100)."

Turned out to be right on on 5 predictions:
-Santos passed for 353, 1 more yard than last year
-UNH rushed for 79.
-JMU's score, too, since I predicted 42 and they got 41.
-On the caazone board JMU page I predicted JMU would have between 250 and 300 yrads rushing, and they finished with 285.
-I had predicted 400-450 yards total o both teams. UNH finished with 432

-I was off on the JMU passing, predicting about 150, and JMU had 241.
-Was off on JMU's total offense- they totaled 526. Lander's only turn over of the day was that drive killing fumble on the 1st possession. Otherwise it might have been more yards and points.

Landers 241 passing, 128 rushing- wow! And the best receiver for JMU was tight end Mike Caussin-four receptions for 96 yards. All 4 were great catches. 3 he had to lay out for, and one was high and he got drilled so bad he had to come out of the game, but still managed to hang on. Best hands of any JMU tight end I've ever seen.

Rodney McCarter (true sophmore who turned down numerous Div I-A offers to come to JMU to be near his brother, who was a starting corner on JMU's 04' title team and is now a JMU campus cop) four receptions for 87 yards for the Dukes and Holloman (26 carries for 98 yards) had big games as well.

Defense had a really good game, holding UNH scoreless for almost the last 28 min.
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=12124&CHID=3
http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=71029&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=1210644