PDA

View Full Version : Grambling Football: Week One Results

mikebigg
September 4th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I went to Lorman, Ms to check out the GMen this week. The first game of the Rod Broadway era was a success... the team looks much improved and appears to be well-conditioned. Two of our players earned weekly honors... I was impressed with the balance. Frank Warren had an impressive debut as a true freshman. I was also impressed with his "backup" true freshman Cornelius Walker. He ran the ball well when he came in to spell Warren in the fourth quarter. I would like to see him get some touches earlier in the game...two good backs are always good.

http://www.gsutigers.com/ssp/news?news_id=221

LANDERS AND WARREN RECEIVE WEEKLY SWAC FOOTBALL HONORS
By GSU Sports Information
September 03, 2007

Landers (7) and offensive lineman Everett Edwards (76) helped pave the way for GSU's offensive effort on Saturday.
For their play on the field during last weekend’s opener at Alcorn State University, Grambling State junior quarterback Brandon Landers and freshman running back Frank Warren were recognized as the Southwestern Athletic Conference’s Offensive Player and Newcomer of the Week, respectively.
Landers, a 6-0 junior from Monroe, La., completed 19-of-36 passes for 303 yards and four touchdowns during GSU’s 31-10 victory over Alcorn State. A preseason Second Team All-SWAC Selection, this marks the third time Landers has earned the SWAC’s weekly offensive honor.
Warren made an immediate impact in his first-ever collegiate game. The 6-0 freshman from Pleasant Grove, Ala. rushed for 143 yards on 30 carries along with catching four passes for 23 yards

McNeese_beat
September 4th, 2007, 08:47 AM
I went to Lorman, Ms to check out the GMen this week. The first game of the Rod Broadway era was a success... the team looks much improved and appears to be well-conditioned. Two of our players earned weekly honors... I was impressed with the balance. Frank Warren had an impressive debut as a true freshman. I was also impressed with his "backup" true freshman Cornelius Walker. He ran the ball well when he came in to spell Warren in the fourth quarter. I would like to see him get some touches earlier in the game...two good backs are always good.

http://www.gsutigers.com/ssp/news?news_id=221

LANDERS AND WARREN RECEIVE WEEKLY SWAC FOOTBALL HONORS
By GSU Sports Information
September 03, 2007

Landers (7) and offensive lineman Everett Edwards (76) helped pave the way for GSU's offensive effort on Saturday.
For their play on the field during last weekend’s opener at Alcorn State University, Grambling State junior quarterback Brandon Landers and freshman running back Frank Warren were recognized as the Southwestern Athletic Conference’s Offensive Player and Newcomer of the Week, respectively.
Landers, a 6-0 junior from Monroe, La., completed 19-of-36 passes for 303 yards and four touchdowns during GSU’s 31-10 victory over Alcorn State. A preseason Second Team All-SWAC Selection, this marks the third time Landers has earned the SWAC’s weekly offensive honor.
Warren made an immediate impact in his first-ever collegiate game. The 6-0 freshman from Pleasant Grove, Ala. rushed for 143 yards on 30 carries along with catching four passes for 23 yards

How was Alcorn supposed to do this year? Was this result a big surprise? I've noticed that generally, you guys were expected to be a little down in a transition year (in terms of coaches), right?

mikebigg
September 4th, 2007, 08:59 AM
How was Alcorn supposed to do this year? Was this result a big surprise? I've noticed that generally, you guys were expected to be a little down in a transition year (in terms of coaches), right?

Some actually favored Alcorn because they had a lot of returning starters
on both the offense and defense. I knew Grambling lost a lot of offensive linemen and some veteran skill folk, but we had a lot coming back on defense. Our team last year was talented but chemistry and just poor coaching hurt us. When I say, bad coaching...I'm not necessarily talking about Spears. He was a really good offensive coordinator for us, but his staff left a lot to be desired (especially the defensive coordinator). Spears just didn't handle things (the little things) as well as he should have. Plus his coaching decisions (game management) was too high risk!

It was just one game...but the team was better prepared and in better condition. I saw our offensive linemen and thought I was at the wrong game. I was asking " where are the fat boys?" xlolx

Bro. Askia Musa Afiba
September 4th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Congrats Coach Broadway and GSU !!!!

Best of Luck on the Season.

Take Care!

813Jag
September 4th, 2007, 09:48 AM
How was the attendence?

mikebigg
September 4th, 2007, 11:43 AM
How was the attendence?

16K... the Alcorn side was about 90% full and the GSU visiting side was overflow. Hope we can have a similar turnout for our home opener against A&M on the 22nd. If we make a good showing against Pitt that would help...I plan on being there regardless. I've talked to my road dog and she's cleared us for traveling.