PDA

View Full Version : So much for playing up...

DUPFLFan
September 4th, 2007, 08:06 AM
The consensus on this board is that if the non-scholly's play up and play a decent schedule, they will be rewarded.

Drake plays ISU (#7 or #11 in most polls) wins the game and gets no recognition in any of the polls. ISU gets dropped in all polls.

So much for your message of playing up...xnonono2x

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2007, 08:11 AM
One win and you are not automatically world changers and worthy to knock out other deserving teams. Ask Coastal Carolina.

89Hen
September 4th, 2007, 08:14 AM
FWIW, I voted for Drake in my Top 25. xthumbsupx

Col Hogan
September 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM
FWIW, I voted for Drake in my Top 25. xthumbsupx

So did I...but I bet DUPFLfan thinks they should be ranked # 2 (I'm sure he'll grant ASU #1 with their win...)

89Hen
September 4th, 2007, 08:18 AM
BTW, Drake was basically #26 in the AGS Poll as they were the team receiving the most votes outside of the Top 25.

bandl
September 4th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Since Drake wasn't even on my radar in the pre-season, I have them in my top 30, one of those teams on the outside looking to break in. i.e., they can easily move into my top 25 very soon. xnodx

DUPFLFan
September 4th, 2007, 08:20 AM
One win and you are not automatically world changers and worthy to knock out other deserving teams. Ask Coastal Carolina.

Thanks for your cynical answer.xnonono2x xmadx

Some teams are in the top 25 and haven't even played yet or have lost...

89Hen
September 4th, 2007, 08:24 AM
All 25 hadn't played a game before last week. Your point? If we had done the voting on Friday I guess Delaware would have been #1. :p

danefan
September 4th, 2007, 08:28 AM
I had Drake as #25 in my poll.

Col Hogan
September 4th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks for your cynical answer.xnonono2x xmadx

More than 25 teams have won a game...using your logic...how do we rank the top 25...

More than one game is needed...the teams with a loss still in the top 25 have proven track records...they have earned some respect...

Drake is on the right track...I hope to see them there next week...

Like respect, a ranking is earned...

kardplayer
September 4th, 2007, 08:46 AM
More than 25 teams have won a game...using your logic...how do we rank the top 25...

More than one game is needed...the teams with a loss still in the top 25 have proven track records...they have earned some respect...

Drake is on the right track...I hope to see them there next week...

Like respect, a ranking is earned...

Using track record to rank teams once the season starts is b.s.

Drake beat a ranked team - they clearly have one of the top 25 resumes thus far this year, as only 3 or 4 teams have clearly better wins (Appalachian State, Nicholls State, McNeese, and Texas State), although I'm sure there are other good ones too. Thus they should be in the top 25. Will they finish with one of the Top 25 resumes? They have to beat UNI to make that happen.

Nonetheless, putting them in the 26-30 bucket is a cop out.

CopperCat
September 4th, 2007, 08:50 AM
After watching McNeese pound PSU, I'd probably rather have Drake in the top 25 than PSU.xnodx

Hype don't mean a thing.

bandl
September 4th, 2007, 08:51 AM

Drake beat a ranked team - they clearly have one of the top 25 resumes thus far this year, as only 3 or 4 teams have clearly better wins (Appalachian State, Nicholls State, McNeese, and Texas State), although I'm sure there are other good ones too. Thus they should be in the top 25. Will they finish with one of the Top 25 resumes? They have to beat UNI to make that happen.

If we're not to use prior track record to rank teams (or omit teams from the top 25) in the pre-season...then how do you know that beating Illinois State is 'clearly' a better win? xconfusedx

Col Hogan
September 4th, 2007, 08:53 AM

No cop-out here...I put them at #23 in my poll...just not enough folks see it the way I do...

But that's a poll for you...it's a collective decision...

I hope they earn my placing them in the poll...

andy7171
September 4th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Drake went from no votes in the pre-season to 45. Did anyone else make as big of a jump up?
Towson lost 20 votes and won last Thursday, do you see me b!tching? If Drake wins this weekend and someone in the 22-25 ranking loses, guess who's moving up again? Get over it, it's only one game. Ranking teams this early is clearly subjective.

DUPFLFan
September 4th, 2007, 08:55 AM
It's not only AGS, it is all polls...

bandl
September 4th, 2007, 08:56 AM
It's not only AGS, it is all polls...

And hopefully the other voters are as knowledgeable about FCS football as AGS voters :p. Or do they draw names out of a hat? xconfusedx

th0m
September 4th, 2007, 09:09 AM
xbawlingx

PantherRob82
September 4th, 2007, 09:29 AM
The consensus on this board is that if the non-scholly's play up and play a decent schedule, they will be rewarded.

Drake plays ISU (#7 or #11 in most polls) wins the game and gets no recognition in any of the polls. ISU gets dropped in all polls.

So much for your message of playing up...xnonono2x

Agreed. it's a good start and Drake needs more respect for it. People are assuming Il St is bad because Drake won. I don't buy it. Both teams are Top 25 caliber at this point.

TheValleyRaider
September 4th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I ranked them 25 and they ended up 26. They're in the "Others Recieving Votes" list on each of the polls after mostly being nowhere to start. People do respect Drake, even if they don't necessarily think DU should be Top 25 at this moment. Drake is batting 1.000 with their two big OOC games. The goal is the playoffs and they'll have their shot to earn that on the field xnodx

Col Hogan
September 4th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I ranked them 25 and they ended up 26. They're in the "Others Recieving Votes" list on each of the polls after mostly being nowhere to start. People do respect Drake, even if they don't necessarily think DU should be Top 25 at this moment. Drake is batting 1.000 with their two big OOC games. The goal is the playoffs and they'll have their shot to earn that on the field xnodx

Clear, concise, cogent xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GannonFan
September 4th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Wah wah wah. A bunch of whining about the first poll of the regular season. Here's a hint - don't worry about it. It means nothing at this point. There are still some teams who haven't even played a snap yet. Come back and whine about it in October when the poll actually means something, then we can have the discussion. To jump all over a poll that will change drastically over the next 4 weeks is just hyper-whining at its finest. xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xrolleyesx :p

DUPFLFan
September 4th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Thank you GannonFan. It's people like you that make this thread needed...

GannonFan
September 4th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Thank you GannonFan. It's people like you that make this thread needed...

No, no, by all means, thank you. Without a thread like this people would actually believe that the Week 1 poll is the end all be all of polls and where teams fit into the playoffs. Heck, some people might just pin who they think should be on the playoffs simply based on where they are in Week 1. Thank you for bringing up the joke that is people's concerns with where their team is slotted in Week 1 - it's the equivalent of the parents who get upset when their kindergartener is not put in the advanced math grouping of the class and they think it's the deathknell for the chances of the toddler making the Ivy League. Let the schedule play out, let some teams actually play a game, then worry about it. I said it before - shouldn't even have polls until the first week of October - anything before then is guesswork at best.

DUPFLFan
September 4th, 2007, 10:39 AM
I said it before - shouldn't even have polls until the first week of October - anything before then is guesswork at best.

I agree but as long as there are polls, then,it's called getting credit where credit is due.

Another poster on another thread said that if ISU wins they will move up in the polls and the Drake loss will be forgotten. I think that is EXACTLY what will happen.

I am hoping that the team continues to win and then lets see what happens.

GannonFan
September 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM
I agree but as long as there are polls, then,it's called getting credit where credit is due.

Another poster on another thread said that if ISU wins they will move up in the polls and the Drake loss will be forgotten. I think that is EXACTLY what will happen.

I am hoping that the team continues to win and then lets see what happens.

It will be forgotten for ISU - it was a loss but it's just one loss - if ISU goes 10-1 for the season they'll be highly ranked - they'll have plenty of good wins and heck, they will have won the Gateway. If Drake goes 11-0 then they'll be highly ranked and they'll be in the playoffs too. I think they've got a good shot at 10-1. And people will remember them beating ISU if they, Drake, keeps winning. But it's still just one game out of 20 other games that those two teams have between them - a poll in October will be a lot more indicative of what those teams have done than a poll done the first week in September.

andy7171
September 4th, 2007, 10:46 AM
No, no, by all means, thank you. Without a thread like this people would actually believe that the Week 1 poll is the end all be all of polls and where teams fit into the playoffs. Heck, some people might just pin who they think should be on the playoffs simply based on where they are in Week 1. Thank you for bringing up the joke that is people's concerns with where their team is slotted in Week 1 - it's the equivalent of the parents who get upset when their kindergartener is not put in the advanced math grouping of the class and they think it's the deathknell for the chances of the toddler making the Ivy League. Let the schedule play out, let some teams actually play a game, then worry about it. I said it before - shouldn't even have polls until the first week of October - anything before then is guesswork at best.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
September 4th, 2007, 11:08 AM

So much for your message of playing up...xnonono2xQQ More

If you think they're so amazing and deserving of a 25 ranking, then they'll earn it. Don't get all bent out of shape over it, though.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2007, 11:15 AM
So, by your logic you would put Drake into the #6 spot in front of Illinois State? If they were 25th would you be happy? Much of the top 15 spots in these polls are occupied by teams that have earned the right to be considered that good. There are no johnny-come-latelys in there.

By your argument we should see App State in the BCS top 25 poll.

ysubigred
September 4th, 2007, 11:21 AM
BTW, Drake was basically #26 in the AGS Poll as they were the team receiving the most votes outside of the Top 25.

GD it!! Is Drake fan's this year's San Diego!!!!!!!!!!xsmhx

SO what you win ONE game over a piss poorly coached team. Beat UNI and I'll rank you all #1 :D

Let your team do the talking on the field. Sit back and relax. If your Bulldogs are as good as this win looks the poll will take care of itself.

89Hen
September 4th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Drake beat a ranked team - they clearly have one of the top 25 resumes thus far this year....
xconfusedx What if AppSt played and beat Lenoir-Rhyne in week one instead of week two? Would you have not had them ranked this week? Do you have UNI, SIU... ranked in your poll?

cats2506
September 4th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I was a little dissapointed to see that Drake didnt get a little more respect for the win also.

DetroitFlyer
September 4th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Funny reading.... The very same logic many here use to justify keeping Drake out, ( they did not earn it yet from past performance), is the very same reason USD should be in! USD was ranked for a good portion of last year in EVERY poll, and this year few if any polls have them ranked. It is actually fun to catch the Old Guard displaying their hyprocrisy, in fact, some times it is almost just too easy! The disdain displayed towards the PFL is so easy to see for those of us not carrying charter memberships to the Old Guard club! xnodx

Lehigh Football Nation
September 4th, 2007, 12:14 PM
So, by your logic you would put Drake into the #6 spot in front of Illinois State?

Shhhh... Pete doesn't like his secret formula for picking teams for his poll out in the open like this...xlolx

midwestgold
September 4th, 2007, 12:23 PM
The joke this week or last week for that matter is that Ya.le is ranked in the top 25. What exactly makes them top 25 ?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 4th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Lest everyone get too worked up about this "snub", San Diego didn't make the polls until they went 5-0 last year. This year, Drake went from nowhere on the Top 25 preseason polling to the brink of the Top 25 this week. 45 points is pretty damed good after one week of results. How is that not respect?

Saying Drake is being kept out because they're non-scholarship is ridiculous. More accurately, there are 25 damned good teams up there and 19 teams in the "others receiving votes" which demonstrate the amount of teams still under consideration here. The fact that Drake is the best of those 19 should be a great endorsement to how people respected Drake's win rather than a condemnation. Just because you beat a Top 25 team early in the year doesn't ENTITLE you to a Top 25 spot.

ILST lost 14 spots in the AGS poll, (#9 to #23), while Drake jumped up 19 spots (from "nowhere" to #26). Yet some people have to audacity to piss on Drake's parade, the so-called champions of the PFL. You'd wonder if Drake made the Top 25 this week, they'd be complaining about how they should be rated above Lehigh who hasn't played a game yet, or Texas State who "barely" beat a Top 25 team. xsmhx

For the record, I voted for Princeton, Alabama A&M, and Western Illinois in my Top 25. And I think all these teams could beat Drake.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM
The joke this week or last week for that matter is that Ya.le is ranked in the top 25. What exactly makes them top 25?

RB Mike McLeod, Yale. Only a junior, McLeod could have had the quietest 1,364 yard Ivy season in history to go with his 20 TDs last year (which is a Yale single-season record). What's scary is that he will probably only get better � and has a real chance to be on the Payton list as well this December. Can he carry his team to back-to-back Ivy titles?

LB Bobby Abare, Yale. Scary that in his sophomore year he tallied 60 tackles, 9 tackles for loss, and 4 interceptions. If this 6'2 210 lb Eli can get better his junior year, folks around the country will have to take notice.

Yale is a great team. Period.

Model Citizen
September 4th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Yale is a great team. Period.

Love your sense of humor.

Yale was great last year, until they played USD and got beaten to a pulp.

This year? The only thing they've done to get into the top-25 is find the right set of voters.

DetroitFlyer
September 4th, 2007, 01:10 PM
You mean that Yale, yeah the one that lost big, at home, to USD last year.... Yet Yale is ranked while USD is not.... Yale has yet to play a game, while Drake defeats a top 10 team.... Once again, Yale is ranked while Drake is not.... And for the record, being #26 means that you are not ranked.... I'm almost certain that the "Top 25" does not include number 26.... ( LOL ). We PFL fans are all too used to having to look in the "others receiving votes" sections of the polls.... No matter how you try to spin it, Drake and IMHO USD should both be ranked in the latest polls. Anything less is a snub.

89Hen
September 4th, 2007, 01:18 PM
No matter how you try to spin it, Drake and IMHO USD should both be ranked in the latest polls. Anything less is a snub.
Anything less is a different opinion. xcoffeex

FargoBison
September 4th, 2007, 01:21 PM
You mean that Yale, yeah the one that lost big, at home, to USD last year.... Yet Yale is ranked while USD is not.... Yale has yet to play a game, while Drake defeats a top 10 team.... Once again, Yale is ranked while Drake is not.... And for the record, being #26 means that you are not ranked.... I'm almost certain that the "Top 25" does not include number 26.... ( LOL ). We PFL fans are all too used to having to look in the "others receiving votes" sections of the polls.... No matter how you try to spin it, Drake and IMHO USD should both be ranked in the latest polls. Anything less is a snub.

Yeah, Yale a team that actually plays a full DI schedule and in a decent league. Not one where most of teams run around looking for lower divisonal teams that they can be competitive against. One of the reasons I decided not to rank Drake is because the league they play in. Since they play in the PFL they have no track record and I won't start ranking teams because they have one good win. Honestly, I can't believe people are acting like I am disrespecting Drake because I think they are a team that is borderline(26-30). In my book that is a lot of respect for a team that was completely off the map only a week ago.

th0m
September 4th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I love this stuff. I'm so glad Drake beat ISU. I mean, I hate soap-opera's, but this, this is way way better!

JohnStOnge
September 4th, 2007, 07:20 PM
The bad thing for Drake is not how pollsters feel about it; it's that it doesn't control its own desinity. Drake could go undefeated and still not make the playoffs.

I know it's not popular but I've always been an advocate of making all FCS conference champs automatic bids (if their conference wants to participate). And I support expanding the playoff field in order to do that.

BlueHen86
September 4th, 2007, 07:25 PM
The bad thing for Drake is not how pollsters feel about it; it's that it doesn't control its own desinity. Drake could go undefeated and still not make the playoffs.

I know it's not popular but I've always been an advocate of making all FCS conference champs automatic bids (if their conference wants to participate). And I support expanding the playoff field in order to do that.

I agree.xnodx xthumbsupx

Cap'n Cat
September 4th, 2007, 08:34 PM
But, GannyFanny, where does Drake fit in the GPI??

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

:p

Cap'n Cat
September 4th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Lest everyone get too worked up about this "snub", San Diego didn't make the polls until they went 5-0 last year. This year, Drake went from nowhere on the Top 25 preseason polling to the brink of the Top 25 this week. 45 points is pretty damed good after one week of results. How is that not respect?

Saying Drake is being kept out because they're non-scholarship is ridiculous. More accurately, there are 25 damned good teams up there and 19 teams in the "others receiving votes" which demonstrate the amount of teams still under consideration here. The fact that Drake is the best of those 19 should be a great endorsement to how people respected Drake's win rather than a condemnation. Just because you beat a Top 25 team early in the year doesn't ENTITLE you to a Top 25 spot.

ILST lost 14 spots in the AGS poll, (#9 to #23), while Drake jumped up 19 spots (from "nowhere" to #26). Yet some people have to audacity to piss on Drake's parade, the so-called champions of the PFL. You'd wonder if Drake made the Top 25 this week, they'd be complaining about how they should be rated above Lehigh who hasn't played a game yet, or Texas State who "barely" beat a Top 25 team. xsmhx

For the record, I voted for Princeton, Alabama A&M, and Western Illinois in my Top 25. And I think all these teams could beat Drake.

'Zackly, LFN.

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx