PDA

View Full Version : 'Its about the depth' says Franchione

patssle
September 4th, 2007, 02:11 AM
"The top teams in Division I-AA would win a lot of games in Division I, if their depth would hold up,” said Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione.

http://newsok.com/article/3117275/1188875448

TexasTerror
September 4th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Last I checked, the former I-AA schools have won a lot of games in Division I considering they play Division I football...

henfan
September 4th, 2007, 10:03 AM
All through the weekend, I've enjoyed the lazy, know-it-all national sports media types making themselves sound as bright as Miss South Carolina when trying to characterize FCS football. Idiots. xlolx

cats2506
September 4th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I don’t get it, you guys are upset because he referred to FCS as I-AA and FBS as Div I

Who cares what they call us or them. The fact is we are a lesser subdivision. We have less talent, scholarships and resources than they do, get over it.

Coach Fran was saying that it is no surprise that some I-AA teams win against I-A teams, we do have talent we just don’t have the depth of I-A. He knows its true too, he just played MSU who hung 403 yards on their defense, and beat them in most statistical categories of the game (including 1st downs and TOP). We were in the redzone 7 times but were unable to convert against a bigger faster deeper team, that and 3 missed FG’s. Several of their scores came from big plays and missed assignments. He knows that with a few breaks he could have been in Michigan’s situation.

3rd Coast Tiger
September 4th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I don’t get it, you guys are upset because he referred to FCS as I-AA and FBS as Div I

Cats2506,

You'll come to learn that posters here are obsessed with coaches, analysts, reporters, fans, cheerleaders, the homeless, dogs, molecules correctly identify FBS football as FBS football. xlolx

DFW HOYA
September 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Coach Fran is 100% correct, and it's an issue in I-AA as well.

Exhibit 1: Georgetown.

henfan
September 4th, 2007, 02:46 PM

Who cares what they call us or them...

Doesn't effect anyone here one iota. But why would you care that AGS posters have to say on the subject of nomenclature butchering? I don't get it.xsmiley_wix

If you're someone professing to be an expert or who's job it is to know the difference between FCS & FBS (or, for Pete's sake, I-A and I-AA), someone who coached at the I-AA level, at least get one of the subdivisional nomenclatures right. People like Franchione have only had 30 years to learn the difference. How much heat do you think FB & media professionals would take if they dared refer to the Big 12 Conference as the Southwest Conference?

Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? Nope, not at all. Does it make people like Franchione sound like complete idiots to people who know better? Yeah, it does. And they'll continue to take heat for it here at AGS. Sorry.

citdog
September 4th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Franchione? sounds like something i ordered at that wop restaurant last night!xlolx :D

cats2506
September 4th, 2007, 04:05 PM
What I am thinking is that he (Francone or whatever) is giving us (I-AA or FCS or whatever) some respect for our football teams. And people here are whining because he didnt use the right acronyme(sp).

I am glad that more than one BCS coach is giving our subdivision (whatever you want to call it) a little credit on the field and not saying that the App St. win was just a fluke.

Walkon79
September 4th, 2007, 04:10 PM
And as Coach Fran said in the poast game, " I'm glad we're not Michigan tonight!!"

travelinman67
September 4th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Naw, Citdog. Franchione's made by Chef Boy-R-Dee.xrolleyesx

Not that much difference (if any) in coaching, schemes, speed, etc...problem is too much emphasis being placed on playmakers and not entire team/depth. FBS has same problem (look at media obsession with the playmakers). Teams go out and get a true 4.2 corner/safety/whatever, or a 6-8 DE with 4.6 speed, and the rest of the team dissappears in the schemes. That's just plain silly. It's hard work, but if FCS coaches go out "shopping" every year looking for gold IN ALL POSITIONS, not just, "This year's priorities", THEN, once on board, make sure all depth levels are "up to speed" (not just top two), the FCS/FBS separation would greatly narrow. Bringing everyone up to speed pushes your best to get better...duh!
Sure, some of it's about the money, but as everyone on this board knows, college football doesn't really need the Erickson's or Saban's to produce champion level football. The staff/facilities/coaching is true D1 at 99% of all FCS schools, but fielding a team that will collapse if one or two players are out, is the ONLY link that keeps a lot of FCS teams from competing with the big dogs.
Noodle-roni-ione wasn't just being an apologist, he was merely pointing out what the Appy coaches already knew.
xcoffeex