PDA

View Full Version : Wofford scheduling NAIA power

woffordgrad94
September 3rd, 2007, 08:57 PM
I don't think it is a good idea for Wofford to schedule Georgetown, KY anymore. This team ranked 8th in NAIA coming in, and they had a great game plan. They gave the T-Dogs a tough battle and had them in some trouble a couple of times. Wofford escaped with a 38-21 win, but it was 24-21 in the 4th quarter. We gain NOTHING from winning this game from a playoffs standpoint. However, had we lost, we are probably out of the playoffs already. And anything less than a blowout (and we did not get one) looks shaky to people. This game was a lose-lose situation, and we need to do a better job of scheduling. Next up we have Charleston Southern, another game that could potentially eliminate us from the playoffs were we to lose it- they are not a highly regarded program despite going 9-2 last year, and they just opened by losing to The Citadel by several touchdowns. I wish we could schedule a 1-AA power in nonconference, or at least a team that's respected like SC State. I don't know why we took them off the schedule as it was also a good rivalry game.xoopsx

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
Only gets tougher.

woffordgrad94
September 3rd, 2007, 09:12 PM
You are so right. We've GOT to improve our pass defense and cut down on holding penalties.

Ronbo
September 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
I don't think it is a good idea for Wofford to schedule Georgetown, KY anymore. This team ranked 8th in NAIA coming in, and they had a great game plan. They gave the T-Dogs a tough battle and had them in some trouble a couple of times. Wofford escaped with a 38-21 win, but it was 24-21 in the 4th quarter. We gain NOTHING from winning this game from a playoffs standpoint. However, had we lost, we are probably out of the playoffs already. And anything less than a blowout (and we did not get one) looks shaky to people. This game was a lose-lose situation, and we need to do a better job of scheduling. Next up we have Charleston Southern, another game that could potentially eliminate us from the playoffs were we to lose it- they are not a highly regarded program despite going 9-2 last year, and they just opened by losing to The Citadel by several touchdowns. I wish we could schedule a 1-AA power in nonconference, or at least a team that's respected like SC State. I don't know why we took them off the schedule as it was also a good rivalry game.xoopsx

Nobody will touch Carroll College. They thumped a couple Division II schools and now they can't get any more to play them. I think Carroll carries 29 full Scholarships so NAIA is better than Division III and probably close to Division II.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2007, 09:56 PM
xthumbsupx
You are so right. We've GOT to improve our pass defense and cut down on holding penalties.

Good thing there aren't any teams that can throw the rock in the socon

Eyes of Old Main
September 4th, 2007, 08:47 AM
I've never understood why Wofford's administration insists on playing close OOC games. I understand the expense of travelling, but it would be so much better to get an OOC game against a foe from the CAA, OVC, MEAC or Southland than to have played an NAIA (albeit a good one) in two of the last three seasons.

I have no problem with scheduling Charleston Southern and Gardner-Webb as "local" OOC games, but to set aside one game against a school a little farther away would be nice. Furman, Appalachian and Georgia Southern all do that, and so should Wofford.

andy7171
September 4th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I would love to have a home/home with another SoCon team. Elon doesn't really count do they? Wofford would be a nice road trip in the future!

th0m
September 4th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Ditto what Andy said. I think Wofford is one of the most respected programs here on AGS, and I think it would be great to see you guys on our schedule.

terrierbob
September 4th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Good thing there aren't any teams that can throw the rock in the socon
Yes, we're fortunate in that respect. :(