PDA

View Full Version : Missouri State's Farrar can't rely on just his quickness on defense.

ShowMeBear2
September 3rd, 2007, 08:11 PM
Missouri State's Farrar can't rely on just his quickness on defense.

Kyle Neddenriep
News-Leader

It was a simple "out" route that he could have easily enough played behind and tackled the receiver for a minimal gain.
But Missouri State junior cornerback Chris Farrar is intent on keeping a positive outlook this season. Those times last season when he was burned for touchdowns are out of mind.

So when Missouri-Rolla quarterback Brad Guidry locked in on receiver Mike Greaving on that sideline route Thursday night, Farrar jumped the route and forced Guidry to throw it away.

"Could have been a 'pick-six,' " Farrar said.

Though he is still looking for his first interception in 20 games with the Bears, he should get some opportunities this season with steady veteran Marcus Colbert anchoring the other cornerback spot.

Opposing quarterbacks will find an athletic, if unproven, cornerback opposite Colbert. Farrar is the fastest player on the team. He can burn. Can he keep from getting burned?

"That was my problem last year and I've been working on that in fall camp," Farrar said. "But I want (quarterbacks) to come after me. I want to prove myself."

Farrar was up to the challenge against an admittedly undermanned opponent in Division II Missouri-Rolla, a 62-17 season-opening win. He played a part in holding the Miners to 104 passing yards, snuffing out a couple of deep attempts in the first half.

Missouri State coach Terry Allen said he and the coaching staff hasn't talked with Farrar about giving up big plays. He said the biggest issue for the St. Louis native is keeping up his confidence level.

"He has to believe in himself and he's done a good job ever since he had some faults last year," Allen said. "He's a better player than he thinks he is sometimes. Are there going to be other situations that arise? Sure. But he just has to believe in himself because he is very talented."

Experience should help. Farrar played in 10 games last year, starting four, and made 28 tackles. That coming after he played in nine games as a redshirt freshman, mostly in dime and nickel packages.

That elusive first career interception could come soon.

"Chris will get his chances," Allen said. "When you have a guy (who) is a quote 'marquee' corner like Colbert, the other guy will get more shots at it. There will be opportunities for Chris."

Farrar, who has played the position since his grade-school days, said he tries to implement pieces of National Football League cornerbacks Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson into his own game.

"Champ Bailey has great technique and that's what I try to work on," Farrar said. "In high school you can rely on your speed, but as you move up the ranks it takes more than just ability. You have to rely on what the coaches are teaching you."

Farrar knows he will run up against better receivers than Missouri-Rolla could offer. Northern Iowa's tandem of Johnny Gray and Terrell Allen is right at the top of the list, along with Carl Sims of Western Illinois and Alan Turner of Southern Illinois.

Maybe more important than not getting beat is how Farrar reacts when it does eventually happen.

"A cornerback should love being out there on an island," Farrar said. "I look forward to it. That's the challenge.