PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else but me fed up with the "former 1-AA" crap

CSUBUCDAD
September 3rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Are these sports analyst unable to string the letters FCS together? Every damn one of them refers to it as "former 1-AA". We are not Prince damnit. We were not replaced by a symbol. SAY IT!!!!!!!

Ronbo
September 3rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
It's a way to explain it to fans that don't follow FCS, mostly I-A fans. It will last through this year and then they will settle in to just calling it FCS next year. Be patient, there is only a couple million of us FCS fans. They need to explain it to the 50 million other sports fans.

blur2005
September 3rd, 2007, 08:57 PM
I can't get mad about this because I say it to my friends when I explain the division of Division I since I know they'll still hear it put that way.

Eyes of Old Main
September 3rd, 2007, 09:01 PM
If they refer to us as Division I, I have no problem. But, if they do like they have been doing, and make it sound like we are either Division II or something else, then I have a problem. I'm willing to be patient to see how it all pans out, but I still prefer the old moniker.

GannonFan
September 3rd, 2007, 09:04 PM
Give it another 10 years and then enough people might know about the name change and it will be less times that people use the "former I-AA" moniker. It took even longer than that for people to get used to the I-AA name.

AZGrizFan
September 3rd, 2007, 09:11 PM
Give it another 10 years and then enough people might know about the name change and it will be less times that people use the "former I-AA" moniker. It took even longer than that for people to get used to the I-AA name.

And I predict that in less than 10 years, the names will change again. xlolx xnodx

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2007, 09:58 PM
the fact that they are mentioning us AT ALL is big news. Can't have our cake and eat it too.

Go...gate
September 3rd, 2007, 10:01 PM
What is also frustrating is that a lot of people are also calling us Division II!!

The NCAA should have left well enough alone. Well, ASU and their win for the ages has spoken loudly enough for the hard work and quality programs which make up our division. We owe them a lot.

McNeese_beat
September 3rd, 2007, 10:10 PM
Are these sports analyst unable to string the letters FCS together? Every damn one of them refers to it as "former 1-AA". We are not Prince damnit. We were not replaced by a symbol. SAY IT!!!!!!!

I think if you are ESPN, or whoever, you HAVE to say the former I-AA, otherwise nobody would know what you are talking about.

To be honest, I hate the new labels. To me, well enough should have been left alone and to make matters worse, they picked a name that sounds an awful lot like an existing acronym (BCS). Just makes it that much more confusing.

But like other posters said, eventually the people who want to learn the new nomenclature will and you'll all forget about I-AA, just like nobody ever talks about the "college division" any more.

However, I predict people will be saying things like "they aren't even Division I. They are in that Division II, FCS league." And there will be gnashing of teeth and a movement to create a name that makes people understand that "We ARE Division I, yada, yada, yada."

My point being, the people who care to understand the divisions, will understand the divisions. Those who don't, won't. And the people who do care to understand what FCS is and what FBS is also are the people who understood what I-A was and what I-AA was. This won't clarify it for people who aren't motivated to know the difference (and, more importantly, the difference between FCS and D-II).

DaveK
September 4th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Whatever you choose to call it, it's the 2nd highest level of football offered by the NCAA. In other words... it's the highest of all the different levels that are considered "small college". Nothing to be ashamed of, it is what it is.

Col Hogan
September 4th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Whatever you choose to call it, it's the 2nd highest level of football offered by the NCAA. In other words... it's the highest of all the different levels that are considered "small college". Nothing to be ashamed of, it is what it is.

What do you mean by "small college"?

bluehenbillk
September 4th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Don't you have better things to be worried about, go outside, enjoy the good weather, chill out dude.

brownbear
September 4th, 2007, 07:24 AM
I think if you are ESPN, or whoever, you HAVE to say the former I-AA, otherwise nobody would know what you are talking about.

To be honest, I hate the new labels. To me, well enough should have been left alone and to make matters worse, they picked a name that sounds an awful lot like an existing acronym (BCS). Just makes it that much more confusing.

But like other posters said, eventually the people who want to learn the new nomenclature will and you'll all forget about I-AA, just like nobody ever talks about the "college division" any more.

However, I predict people will be saying things like "they aren't even Division I. They are in that Division II, FCS league." And there will be gnashing of teeth and a movement to create a name that makes people understand that "We ARE Division I, yada, yada, yada."

My point being, the people who care to understand the divisions, will understand the divisions. Those who don't, won't. And the people who do care to understand what FCS is and what FBS is also are the people who understood what I-A was and what I-AA was. This won't clarify it for people who aren't motivated to know the difference (and, more importantly, the difference between FCS and D-II).

When people don't realize what I-AA/FCS football, FBS teams don't take them seriously and upsets like App State happen

BlueHen86
September 4th, 2007, 07:25 AM
BUCDAD, you sound just like Sam Kinison in the movie "Back To School"...SAY IT!!!

DaveK
September 4th, 2007, 07:50 AM
What do you mean by "small college"?

Essentially, every division of NCAA football below I-A.

Col Hogan
September 4th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Essentially, every division of NCAA football below I-A.

See, you need to be clearer...because "small" is a reference to size...not level...

And since the NCAA no longer has IAA (you are free to call it what you want...but if you are going to discuss something, you need to be clear...) what is "small"

According to the NCAA, my school is a Division 1 school...so is Michigan...so is Wake Forest...

Now, Michigan is definately a bigger school than UMass...but UMass is a much larger school than Wake Forest...all are Division 1...

Which one is a "small" college?

McNeese_beat
September 4th, 2007, 08:44 AM
When people don't realize what I-AA/FCS football, FBS teams don't take them seriously and upsets like App State happen

I think evidence shows that the difference between "mid-major" FBS teams, competitive FCS teams and even top-level D-II teams are minimal at best.

People are treating Appalachian State's win like it was the biggest upset ever. Perhaps. But if that was Ohio U., would it be considered as big of an upset? I doubt it. But if Appalachian beat Ohio U., would that surprise anybody? I also doubt it.

The gap between perception and reality is something I don't think the FCS can really do anything about, so long as they voluntarily compete at a division that offers 22 fewer scholarships than "the big boys."

SactoHornetFan
September 4th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I just say that we play Division I Championship Football.

That and I told folks at Fresno that they should not be shocked that App State beat Michigan, after all the are the two-time defending Div. I National Champions :D

aust42
September 4th, 2007, 10:55 AM
I'm not sick of it. They should have never changed the name just to appease some of the Basketball schools. Even Ap State's coach called themselves 1AA during the post game interview.

walliver
September 4th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Don't worry, in a few weeks ESPN will have forgotten all about us.xnodx xnodx :(