PDA

View Full Version : Worth Millions $$$$$$ in publicity!

Ronbo
September 3rd, 2007, 06:34 PM
A question was posed a couple weeks ago on this board. What would be better for ASU a win over Michigan or a 3rd NC?

Well boys the answer is in.

Have you watched ESPN the last three days. It's App. State this, App. State that, greatest upset in football history, player interviews, Coach interviews, I've seen the Highlights 25 times. Unbeliveable publicity, priceless. Anybody that thinks this doesn't do more for their program than the FCS NC lives in FCS Barbie Dream World. They are the Darlings of College football as big or bigger than Boise State last season. Probably bigger than Boise State.

You guys are the Darlings of College Football!!!!

AZGrizFan
September 3rd, 2007, 06:36 PM
A question was posed a couple weeks ago on this board. What would be better for ASU a win over Michigan or a 3rd NC?

Well boys the answer is in.

Have you watched ESPN the last three days. It's App. State this, App. State that, greatest upset in football history, player interviews, Coach interviews, I've seen the Highlights 25 times. Unbeliveable publicity, priceless. Anybody that thinks this doesn't do more for their program than the FCS NC lives in FCS Barbie Dream World. They are the Darlings of College football as big or bigger than Boise State last season. Probably bigger than Boise State.

You guys are the Darlings of College Football!!!!

Well there was a thread on here some time back (when the Michigan game was announced) that asked if ASU fans would rather have a victory over Michigan or a 3rd NC. Let's hope those that voted for the Michigan victory get their wish!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xeyebrowx

Retro
September 3rd, 2007, 06:39 PM
The Big TEN network will replay the game again later this week too!

Weems
September 3rd, 2007, 06:41 PM
and it was already replayed once already :D

FCSFAN
September 3rd, 2007, 06:45 PM
and it was already replayed once already :Dseveral times actually, I set the dvr to record the ysu/ohio state game and when I went to watch it they had replaced it with the mich game (which I already recorded). :(

Ronbo
September 3rd, 2007, 06:50 PM
ESPN just said the App. State win is the "Feel Good Story of 2007". Don't be surprised if a movie won't be in the works within a couple years.

By the way all you FCS guys, don't be mad about ESPN playing up the David vs. Goliath angle. That's what makes it a HUGE story. That's what made the Boise State story big and this is even more amazing.

patssle
September 3rd, 2007, 07:00 PM
Imagine, 2 of the greateset games ever in the same year. Boise and App.

Ronbo
September 3rd, 2007, 07:00 PM
Now the blocked field goal is one of the nominees for the "Pontiac Game Saving Moment of the Week"

Get over to ESPN and vote for App. State!

FCS Go!
September 3rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
In a few weeks App St and the FCS will be back off the ESPN/national radar.

Green26
September 3rd, 2007, 07:09 PM
The win also will mean that it will be very difficult for App. St. to schedule I-A games in the future. It will probably make it more difficult for other I-AA teams to get games with top I-A teams in the future. Teams are going to reluctant to schedule the top I-AA teams, unless they are having trouble finding a game for the particular weekend.

Ronbo
September 3rd, 2007, 07:14 PM
Here's agreat story from ESPN.

Appalachian State earns role as conquering hero (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3001214&sportCat=ncf)

Remember the score: App. State 34, Michigan 32.

We'll still be talking about it a few decades from now. Especially in the locker rooms of every huge underdog, where they'll say, "If Appalachian State can beat Michigan, why can't we shock the world, too?"

These are the kinds of things that don't normally happen in college football, where the chasm between have and have-not is wider than in any other sport. In fact, as the preposterous partial scores from Ann Arbor kept rolling in, Labor Day weekend began to feel like March Madness. That charm is usually lost on the gridiron, but not Saturday.

You got the feeling everyone nationwide not wearing maize and blue was pulling for the underdog. Just like the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

This wasn't a No. 16 seed beating a No. 1 -- that would be an insult to the two-time champions of the Division Formerly Known As I-AA. More than anything else, Appalachian State proved Saturday that the best of the little fellers can play exceptional football. That they must be accorded respect. That they are not as far behind the big boys as we've always assumed.

But given the difference in stature between the two programs, this is still a Buster Douglas-beats-Mike Tyson upset. It's a 15 beating a 2, at least.

Ronbo
September 3rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
The win also will mean that it will be very difficult for App. St. to schedule I-A games in the future. It will probably make it more difficult for other I-AA teams to get games with top I-A teams in the future. Teams are going to reluctant to schedule the top I-AA teams, unless they are having trouble finding a game for the particular weekend.

They already have 4 BCS shools sheduled the next four years. Then in year 5 I would bet they go FBS after that moritorium.

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 07:27 PM

OK, so what were we supposed to do? Lose?

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
They already have 4 BCS shools sheduled the next four years. Then in year 5 I would bet they go FBS after that moritorium.

Ronbo:

Thanks, but I hope we stay right where we are.

The only way I would support a move is if 1) the FBS begins a true playoff system; 2) Boone attracts an Interstate highway or at least runs US421 or US321 4 lane all the way through Watauga County (which is highly unlikely since mountains would have to be removed to do it); and 3) Kidd Brewer is doubled (at least) in seating capacity. And 4) just what conference are we going into? The ACC? NOT.

In my opinion, the likelihood of any of these things happening is nada.

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 07:38 PM
You got the feeling everyone nationwide not wearing maize and blue was pulling for the underdog.

You're not going to believe this, but before the game, I had 2 different Michigan fans (completely bedecked in the maize and blue) tell me that they were 75% pulling for Appalachian. I did not know quite how to take that, but they said it.

But you're right, everyone not wearing blue was pulling for the Mountaineers.

Green26
September 3rd, 2007, 07:38 PM
I was just pointing out another impact of the win. I loved App. St.'s win and really loved how they came back to win. I followed the game on the Internet (ESPN), egriz.com, my Blackberry, via text messages, via phone calls, on tv's at the Griz game and over the PR system at the Griz game. I was trading texts and phone calls with I-AA friends who were at the Notre Dame/Georgia Tech game. My nephew who plays I-AA football called me immediately after the win. Everyone I know was incredibly excited for App. St. and I-AA football. Great, great win. Very impressive. Very exciting.

Green26
September 3rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
What BCS schools do they have scheduled in the next 4 years?

Mountaineer
September 3rd, 2007, 07:42 PM

I think we've got Florida, LSU, Virginia Tech and Georgia lined up. Not sure which years though.

Ronbo
September 3rd, 2007, 07:42 PM

Any App. State guy? Someone posted the list a few days ago.

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
I was just pointing out another impact of the win. I loved App. St.'s win and really loved how they came back to win. I followed the game on the Internet (ESPN), egriz.com, my Blackberry, via text messages, via phone calls, on tv's at the Griz game and over the PR system at the Griz game. I was trading texts and phone calls with I-AA friends who were at the Notre Dame/Georgia Tech game. My nephew who plays I-AA football called me immediately after the win. Everyone I know was incredibly excited for App. St. and I-AA football. Great, great win. Very impressive. Very exciting.

OK, yeah, you're right. I had already pointed out to my wife that if it was hard to schedule folks this year, next year it will be impossible unless the schedule is already made. But, my point in my earlier post was that scheduling for next year was irrelevant in terms of the desired outcome.

I still cannot quite believe that we actually beat Michigan. xthumbsupx

appsfan
September 3rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
I forget which year however, we have Georgia, Florida, LSU, and Virginia Tech committed.
(You beat me to it Mountaineer.)

Pard4Life
September 3rd, 2007, 09:36 PM
Hey App fans,

you've probably been asked this already, but how the heck can you even play the rest of your season? It's as if you won the BCS title the first game of the season!

BisonBacker
September 3rd, 2007, 09:57 PM
OK, yeah, you're right. I had already pointed out to my wife that if it was hard to schedule folks this year, next year it will be impossible unless the schedule is already made. But, my point in my earlier post was that scheduling for next year was irrelevant in terms of the desired outcome.

I still cannot quite believe that we actually beat Michigan. xthumbsupx
NDSU would love to get you guys on the schedule.

GreatAppSt
September 3rd, 2007, 10:01 PM
Well there was a thread on here some time back (when the Michigan game was announced) that asked if ASU fans would rather have a victory over Michigan or a 3rd NC. Let's hope those that voted for the Michigan victory get their wish!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xeyebrowx

And my answer from then has not changed. "I'm a greedy bastard I want them both"xthumbsupx

GreatAppSt
September 3rd, 2007, 10:11 PM
I heard some fans suggest that after this win some of the other BCS teams we already have contracts with would buy us out. Personally I think that we would have stood a better chance of getting replaced on their sched. if we had lost, for a better gating team, if one came up for them. Now I feel there is no way in hell a team would not honor these game because if the cut us now the word would spread far and wide that so & so was chicken to play a FCS team.xthumbsupx

BEAR
September 3rd, 2007, 10:28 PM
As I was listening to the radio today, the host said he used to live in the area that App is in and announced basketball or football games there for the local schools and that App is a team that could go out and beat a Michigan or any team in the ACC on any given year. He explained the difference between FCS and FBS and so did some callers. It made the FCS nation proud to hear informed FBS fans call in and say, "dang, is the number of schollys the only real big difference between the two? I never knew that" Way to go App! That billion dollar addy you put up for the FCS will pay dividends for all us FCS football schools!

HiHiYikas
September 3rd, 2007, 10:40 PM
In response to the "Upset Michigan or 3rd FCS title" question, I picked the third title. I stand by that choice. But I would like to retract part of my answer.

I mentioned back than that I didn't want all that extra attention for ASU, because I liked being the best-kept secret in college football. You don't have to tell me we've got a great thing going up in Boone - I could have told you that back when I was a wide-eyed toddler visiting KBS for the first time. The extra attention simply makes my part of the world more crowded than it was to begin with. Part of me liked it a lot better when nobody knew where Boone was or what college was there.

Having experienced the buzz, I really like it. My alma mater was on the cover of the New York Times today. I don't think I'll ever be able to say that again.

I feel pretty sure we'll win the ESPY for "best upset" next year. Coach Moore at the ESPYs? What a thought!

I am still proudest that my alma mater was Time Magazine's Master College of the Year in 2001, the year I received my degree. I am also proud of our National Championships, and our track record of building a strong program out of largely unrecruited athletes. I am very grateful, though, for the post-Michigan attention.

I had a business professor at App who attended Miami U back when it was probably a lot like Appalachian State. He talked to us about the school's "Suntan U." reputation, and how few interviewers knew about the school. That changed as the football program became more successful.

If athletics are a University's front door, Appalachian's front door just got a lot bigger and brighter.

GreatAppSt
December 16th, 2007, 03:00 PM
And my answer from then has not changed. "I'm a greedy bastard I want them both"xthumbsupx

:D xnodx xeekx xwhistlex