PDA

View Full Version : Next "upset" vs FBS this week?

aust42
September 3rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
Northern Arizona @ Arizona
Maine @ CT
Rhode Island @ Army
Eastern Illinois @ Purdue
Samford @ Georgia Tech
S.E. Louisiana @ Kansas
Grambling @ Pittsburgh

The only game I see a possible FCS win is the Rhode Island game and that's a stretch.

JohnStOnge
September 3rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
You forgot Northern Iowa at Iowa State. That's a definite possibility, though it'd have been better if Iowa State hadn't been whacked by Kent State in the opening game. Course on the other hand maybe seeing Iowa State whacked by Kent State tells us something about Iowa State.

JohnStOnge
September 3rd, 2007, 04:26 PM
Also, Cal Poly plays Idaho this week. I know Poly lost at Texas State...but this one is another definite possibility.

youwouldno
September 3rd, 2007, 04:28 PM
I think EIU could make it interesting if everything goes right. UConn isn't very talented so Maine has a shot.

Lionsrking
September 3rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
You forgot Northern Iowa at Iowa State. That's a definite possibility, though it'd have been better if Iowa State hadn't been whacked by Kent State in the opening game. Course on the other hand maybe seeing Iowa State whacked by Kent State tells us something about Iowa State.

I saw the Eastern Illinois/Tennessee Tech game on TV and thought Eastern Illinois looked really good. Don't know if they could upset Purdue but they can definitely make 'em sweat I think.

AZGrizFan
September 3rd, 2007, 05:38 PM
Maine @ CT
Rhode Island @ Army
Samford @ Georgia Tech
S.E. Louisiana @ Kansas
Grambling @ Pittsburgh

The only game I see a possible FCS win is the Rhode Island game and that's a stretch.

After watching U of A get embarrassed by BYU, I'd say NAU has at least a shot at knocking off the Wildcats (although Arizona is no Michigan... ;) ). Personally, I'd take NAU's offense right now over U of A's...particularly at the skill positions. Anyways, it's probably the second most likely, right after UNI Iowa State.

AZGrizFan
September 3rd, 2007, 05:38 PM
Also, Cal Poly plays Idaho this week. I know Poly lost at Texas State...but this one is another definite possibility.

ANY TIME Idaho plays an FCS team it's a possibility that they lose. xnodx xnodx xnodx

TheValleyRaider
September 3rd, 2007, 06:03 PM
Maine over UConn is a real possibility as well. The Bears usually play a tough, physical game vs. their FBS opponents and are at least right in the contest until late in the game. UConn isn't that great either, and could very well be shocked by how strong those Bears are.

UNI over Iowa State and Cal Poly over Idaho are likely also.

Grizalltheway
September 3rd, 2007, 06:10 PM
ANY TIME Idaho plays an FCS team it's a possibility that they lose. xnodx xnodx xnodx

To Idaho's credit, they held their own against USC (relatively) Their QB had never played a collegiate down before that game. xeekx xeekx

Retro
September 3rd, 2007, 06:19 PM
The only game i see with a real good shot is Cal-Poly over Idaho.. The others need to play perfect games and capitalize on lot's of mistakes. Of course it is so early in the season, it's hard to read some teams by one game and App State has given a lot of teams new confidence!xnodx

T-Dog
September 3rd, 2007, 06:24 PM
I'll be rooting hard for NAU. It'll make our game next week that much more interesting. I think they have a good chance. (everyone has a chance, not everyon has a good chance)

Besides that, UNI/ISU is another one that looks like it could be good. URI/Army maybe.

Reed Rothchild
September 3rd, 2007, 06:34 PM
I really don't know what to think of the UNI/ISU game.

KAUMASS
September 3rd, 2007, 06:36 PM
I will be at the Maine-UConn game to give Maine some support. I will give an update and some pic's after the game. Pre-season I thought Maine would have a decent shot as UConn has thrown off a number of players already this year. Maine had a tough game with Monmouth, and UConn handled Duke, which they should have. Not taking anything away from Monmouth, as they may have a great team, but I think Maine will have to play much better this week to have any chance against UConn.

We should defer to MaineJeff for a read on the Maine-Monmouth game.

Col Hogan
September 3rd, 2007, 06:36 PM
In think Maine over UConn is a real possibility...as long as the Bear's D plays up to it's potential...

After last weeks loss, I don't think the URI Rams have a chance against the Black Knights of Army....

KAUMASS
September 3rd, 2007, 06:50 PM
In think Maine over UConn is a real possibility...as long as the Bear's D plays up to it's potential...

After last weeks loss, I don't think the URI Rams have a chance against the Black Knights of Army....

I concurxthumbsupx

skinny_uncle
September 3rd, 2007, 07:28 PM
I guess when SIU beats Northern Illinois, you will realize you left them off your list?
xsmiley_wix

purduecrum
September 4th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I saw the Eastern Illinois/Tennessee Tech game on TV and thought Eastern Illinois looked really good. Don't know if they could upset Purdue but they can definitely make 'em sweat I think.

I remember when I was a grad student at WIU and I spoke with then QB Russ Michna about facing the highly ranked EIU Panthers for the playoffs. He said they wanted no other match up. I'm going to guess that any/every Gateway team would gladly take a game in the playoffs against the OVC winner. (EIU hasn't won a playoff game since '89, including 7 straight, 3 of the last 4 at home)

Purdue has some serious talent on the offensive side of the ball. The worst case scenario for Purdue is a shootout and I don't see EIU being able to keep up for 60 minutes (or keep the big and experienced D-line off of the QB for 60 minutes). Odds are Purdue opens a wide lead and experiments with its second, third, and fourth stringers giving EIU a chance to add some meaningless points after the game has been decided.

appfan2008
September 4th, 2007, 12:46 PM
i think there are several winnable games out of that group including nau, maine, cal poly, and uni

Khan4Cats
September 4th, 2007, 12:53 PM
After the Michigan defeat, I am sure every coach at an FBS school has been using that to get the attention of their players prepping for an FCS foe. That being said, I think there are some chances this week to add some more victory tags for the FCS.

11 games versus FBS-My guesses
No Chance/Would be shocked to see an FCS win:
Samford at Georgia Tech
Would be very surprised, but don't underestimate the (lack of) coaching for the FBS:
Grambling at Pitt (that Wannstadt genius)
Eastern Illinois at Purdue (Tiller can coach, sometimes)
Limited chances, some chances of a surprise:
NAU at Arizona (maybe the Wildcats aren't that good, but NAU could be looking past them towards ASU)
Rhode Island at Army (has Army had a winning record in this country since the 60's?)
Western Illinois @ Illinois (Zook has great athletes, but WIU can be hard to prep for and Illinois, is... well, Illinois)
SE Louisiana @ Kansas (Kansas is Kansas, plus if their coach trips runnng onto the field, they may have to delay the game to bring an earth mover to pick him up)
That leaves 4 games that I would not be all that surprised to see FCs wins:
Cal Poly at Idaho (Idaho has not jumped to FBS with the success they had in FCS)
Maine at UConn (I'm chalking up last week to 1st week jitters, I think Monmouth was a stiffer test than Duke-in football)
UNI at Iowa State (Inter-state rivalry that UNI won by everything but the score last year)
Southern Illinois at Northern Illinois (Another inter-state game, could propel Southern until they hit the Dome)

leatherneck177
September 4th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Maybe WIU @ Illinois? It's possible, but I think Illinois pulls away in the 4th quarter.

saluki_in_ohio
September 4th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Maine @ CT
Rhode Island @ Army
Samford @ Georgia Tech
S.E. Louisiana @ Kansas
Grambling @ Pittsburgh

You also forgot SIU @ NIU.

SIU should win, but it probably won't be an upset.

Peems
September 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM
You also forgot SIU @ NIU.

SIU should win, but it probably won't be an upset.

If you guys win, does that mean a new picture in your signature?

Mountain Panther
September 4th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I really don't know what to think of the UNI/ISU game.

I see it going into overtime.

You going, Reed? PM me if you are.

Marcus Garvey
September 4th, 2007, 02:47 PM
After watching U of A get embarrassed by BYU, I'd say NAU has at least a shot at knocking off the Wildcats (although Arizona is no Michigan... ;) ). Personally, I'd take NAU's offense right now over U of A's...particularly at the skill positions.

I hate to say this, but I'm with you. Good gawd did their offense reek like Mike Canales last week. The play calling was attrocious (as has been the case throughout the Mike Stoops reign) and Tuitama looked like a high school QB in that he was failing to check his deep receivers, then throwing to guys 4 yards down field on 3rd & 7. The best way to describe Sonny Dykes' play calling on Sat. was "Deer in the headlights."
One more thing, WTF was Dykes doing on the sidelines? Get in the booth. Maybe then he would have noticed UofA's deep receivers were getting open and could have relayed the info. Of course, it's not like nobody on their staff noticed that. His play calling seemed somewhat arrogant.

Anyway, I'll be freaking pissed if NAU beat them, but not surprised. However, I think NAU's defense can stop Arizona's Offense, but I doubt the Lumberjacks will score many points. Despite being on the field almost the whole game, the D only gave up 20 points, 7 of which came after a turnover on downs gave BYU a very short field to work with.

Lionsrking
September 4th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I remember when I was a grad student at WIU and I spoke with then QB Russ Michna about facing the highly ranked EIU Panthers for the playoffs. He said they wanted no other match up. I'm going to guess that any/every Gateway team would gladly take a game in the playoffs against the OVC winner. (EIU hasn't won a playoff game since '89, including 7 straight, 3 of the last 4 at home)

Purdue has some serious talent on the offensive side of the ball. The worst case scenario for Purdue is a shootout and I don't see EIU being able to keep up for 60 minutes (or keep the big and experienced D-line off of the QB for 60 minutes). Odds are Purdue opens a wide lead and experiments with its second, third, and fourth stringers giving EIU a chance to add some meaningless points after the game has been decided.

I can't speak for EIU in the past, but from what I saw, they have a great WR who is mismatch for anyone and they ran to the ball well on defense. Again, I'm not saying they can beat Purdue but I was impressed with what I saw of them last week.

SO ILLmatic
September 4th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Maybe WIU @ Illinois? It's possible, but I think Illinois pulls away in the 4th quarter.

I really dont think this one this will be close. Illinois basically gave Mizzou a win at the Ed Jones Dome. Juice Williams will make up for the quarters he sat out on Saturday.

Panthers_Blue
September 4th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I think for EIU to pull the upset it would take Stinson having the best game he has had to date. What I mean is he has to keep his cool if he does get some heat from the D. If they can hit Rucker a few times spread the field out it opens up the the two back attack of Bess and Ademiji. Bess is good in the open and can cut on a dime and Ademiji can put it in your teeth. The 6'7 frame of Rucker makes him very hard for any CB and most teams will throw two guys at him and it most cases the way to stop him is to be real physical but most of the time that draws a flag, he can put a lot of people behind him with his speed. EIU runs a great no huddle spread that can really run a D down. If Stinson goes EIU will go.

EIU's D will hold there own they are fast and get to the ball really fast. The only thing to be worried about on D would be the secondary the are young but proved week 1 they can adjust an they are getting better. Painter for Purdue like to air it out so this could be the weak link.

A few big plays here and there and you never know.

Go...gate
September 4th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Maine @ CT
Rhode Island @ Army
Samford @ Georgia Tech
S.E. Louisiana @ Kansas
Grambling @ Pittsburgh

I think URI may have a chance. Army did not look good against Akron and a week of practice may not improve things much.

AZGrizFan
September 4th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I hate to say this, but I'm with you. Good gawd did their offense reek like Mike Canales last week. The play calling was attrocious (as has been the case throughout the Mike Stoops reign) and Tuitama looked like a high school QB in that he was failing to check his deep receivers, then throwing to guys 4 yards down field on 3rd & 7. The best way to describe Sonny Dykes' play calling on Sat. was "Deer in the headlights."
One more thing, WTF was Dykes doing on the sidelines? Get in the booth. Maybe then he would have noticed UofA's deep receivers were getting open and could have relayed the info. Of course, it's not like nobody on their staff noticed that. His play calling seemed somewhat arrogant.

Anyway, I'll be freaking pissed if NAU beat them, but not surprised. However, I think NAU's defense can stop Arizona's Offense, but I doubt the Lumberjacks will score many points. Despite being on the field almost the whole game, the D only gave up 20 points, 7 of which came after a turnover on downs gave BYU a very short field to work with.

I'm not sure NAU's offense isn't better than BYU's too. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

I say NAU by 7.

AZGrizFan
September 4th, 2007, 05:16 PM
After the Michigan defeat, I am sure every coach at an FBS school has been using that to get the attention of their players prepping for an FCS foe. That being said, I think there are some chances this week to add some more victory tags for the FCS.

Samford at Georgia Tech
Would be very surprised, but don't underestimate the (lack of) coaching for the FBS:
NAU at Arizona (maybe the Wildcats aren't that good, but NAU could be looking past them towards ASU)
Rhode Island at Army (has Army had a winning record in this country since the 60's?)
Western Illinois @ Illinois (Zook has great athletes, but WIU can be hard to prep for and Illinois, is... well, Illinois)
SE Louisiana @ Kansas (Kansas is Kansas, plus if their coach trips runnng onto the field, they may have to delay the game to bring an earth mover to pick him up)
Cal Poly at Idaho (Idaho has not jumped to FBS with the success they had in FCS)
Maine at UConn (I'm chalking up last week to 1st week jitters, I think Monmouth was a stiffer test than Duke-in football)
UNI at Iowa State (Inter-state rivalry that UNI won by everything but the score last year)
Southern Illinois at Northern Illinois (Another inter-state game, could propel Southern until they hit the Dome)

Wouldn't it be hilarious if FCS went 9-3 against FBS! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

mikebigg
September 4th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Grambling's defense was very impressive last week... obviously Pittsburg is much more talented than Alcorn (no knock on the Braves) but our defense played sound assignment football. I think we can hang but I'm concerned about our depth. Coach Broadway has improved the play, but he released close to 45 guys (some of course were partial schollies, I'm sure). He really trimmed the roster (and the waistlines) since he arrived.

Marcus Garvey
September 4th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Grambling's defense was very impressive last week... obviously Pittsburg is much more talented than Alcorn (no knock on the Braves) but our defense played sound assignment football. I think we can hang but I'm concerned about our depth. Coach Broadway has improved the play, but he released close to 45 guys (some of course were partial schollies, I'm sure). He really trimmed the roster (and the waistlines) since he arrived.

Don't underestimate the "Wanstache!" Pitt stands a real good chance of being outcoached.

Polywog
September 4th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I'm hopeful about the Cal Poly / Idaho game, but I'm a little less confident after the showing at Texas State last weekend. The vaunted Cal Poly defense gave up 24 points in the 3rd quarter alone. Given the showing Idaho put up agains USC, I think this game will prove to be tougher than I had expected.

I'll take Poly by 3.

GreatAppSt
September 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM
UNI winsxthumbsupx

already123
September 4th, 2007, 09:39 PM
NAU 27-24

igo4uni
September 4th, 2007, 10:10 PM
UNI winsxthumbsupx

Yup!!xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xpeacex xpeacex xpeacex xpeacex xpeacex

ngineer
September 4th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I think EIU could make it interesting if everything goes right. UConn isn't very talented so Maine has a shot.

I agree with this one. I think EIU could pull something off. Purdue seems to be not their former self, as well. I also would not be shocked if UNI knocked off ISU.

TTUEagles
September 5th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I'll go with E. Illinois as well, I'm pulling for them...TTU's offense is similar (in style only, unfortuneatety, similar in nothing else) to Purdue's. WR Rucker could start for almost anyone in FBS.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 5th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I think our friends at ESPN are taking notice. On the Bottom 10 poll, they have conspicuously listed Idaho and Iowa State as the first two teams on the "waiting list"

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3003847

purduecrum
September 5th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I can't speak for EIU in the past, but from what I saw, they have a great WR who is mismatch for anyone and they ran to the ball well on defense. Again, I'm not saying they can beat Purdue but I was impressed with what I saw of them last week.

Purdue sees top WRs each week in the Big Ten. Not just a transfer (he was from Minnesota, right?) from the Big Ten on a single week. I think Purdue only permitted one Big Ten receiver to have a 100-yard game last season (186.5 defensive passing yards per game in conference). Only Hawaii really had a field day passing against Purdue and they only squeaked out a win at home.

Indiana State did have a 100-yard receiver in a 25 point loss. And Brady Quinn was able to produce one too (not Samardzija) when Purdue travelled to Notre Dame. Only in four games (of 12) did Purdue permit a 100-yard receiver and Purdue was 3-1 in those games.

Purdue boasts a returner-heavy defense with the addition of two experienced players who missed last year with injuries. The biggest weakness of Purdue (last year) was the ability adjust to offenses with many looks. If EIU only has to offer a single go-to player it could be a long Saturday for the Panthers in Ross-Ade.

Last week Toledo remained committed to the run despite falling behind?!? Seems like the Toledo staff didn't have a plan B to run-run-run at Purdue. Purdue gave up 150-ish years in a 20+ point victory.

Plus it looks like rain!

I hope I didn't make any Michigan-regretting-esque statements. xeyebrowx

Play ball!

Panthers_Blue
September 5th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Rucker is not the only guy EIU can go to. They do have an establised run game, we just didn't see much of it against TTU becasue we were doing fine with just going with Rucker. The O-Line for EIU is big and physical they will open up holes and control the line. The only problem I see and this is could be the same for most FCS schools thats depth.

If you get a chance go over to Purdue's webpage and see the game preview video with Coach Tiller. It's great to see the respect Tiller has for Coach Spoo. This will be a good homecoming for Spoo.

skinny_uncle
September 5th, 2007, 03:08 PM
If you guys win, does that mean a new picture in your signature?
Maybe he can put two pictures in his signature,
:)

skinny_uncle
September 5th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Yup!!xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xpeacex xpeacex xpeacex xpeacex xpeacex
UNI has revenge for motivation. It could happen.

GeauxLions94
September 5th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Samford at Georgia Tech

The way we played last week against an improved New Mexico State team and watching Kansas barely beat Louisiana-Monroe last year, I thought we might have a chance.

But after watching Kansas put 52 on a Central Michigan team that was returning a bunch of players off a 10-win bowl team, probably safe to move that one down on your list.

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 5th, 2007, 11:09 PM

Agreed. This is the FCS win to count on this week. NIU definitely has a chance, too. URI can't play defense vs Army and Maine will not stop UConn' s offense.

Wait 'til next week: UNH 35 Marshall 32 xsmiley_wix

appfan2008
September 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM
i think the best chance belongs to siu