PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian State is Division II

DaBears
September 3rd, 2007, 01:32 PM
Just ask the jackass who wrote the below article. I can't find his email address but I am emailing his newspaper. It is amazing to me that sportswriters will publish "facts" without doing any research.

http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2007/09/03/sports/sports03.txt

Mountain Panther
September 3rd, 2007, 01:37 PM
Just ask the jackass who wrote the below article. I can't find his email address but I am emailing his newspaper. It is amazing to me that sportswriters will publish "facts" without doing any research.

That's why he writes for the Brenham Banner and not the NY Times. What a loser. xnonono2x

Col Hogan
September 3rd, 2007, 01:54 PM

There's an email link on the bottom of the story...I'll post his reply if I get one...

th0m
September 3rd, 2007, 01:56 PM
I emailed as well. I feel like a maniac, but whatever :D

Griz40
September 3rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
How sad is that? Too bad the Bobcats didn't win.

elkmcc
September 3rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
.“We didn’t come here to play close,” Ash said. “We lost by 31 points, so we didn’t accomplish what we wanted to. I told the team after the game that we don’t believe in moral victories.”

Tell that to you fans. If you read bobcatcounty.com you would swear the bobcats had won the superbowl.

majorbta
September 3rd, 2007, 03:34 PM
I emailed them too

McTailGator
September 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
IGNORANCE is rampant.

Here is my e-mail response to him:

I just thought you would like to know that your recent article found at: http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2007/09/03/sports/sports03.txt and titled : "Aggies win despite slow start" where you inform your readers of Michigan 's defeat by "Division II Appalachian State", has found its way onto the nation’s premier NCAA Division I Football Championship fan forum. http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28700
Right now hunderds of the most knowledgeable college football fans in the country are laughing at Mr. Brays utter IGNORANCE of Division I Football is.

I bet you think that LSU, Texas , Southern Cal, and Florida were the last 4 NCAA Division I Football Champions. Don't you? If so, you are WRONG. They are the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) Champs. Which is NOT affiliated with the NCAA at all. Those teams basically play in post season exhibition games for money. They chose not to participate in the NCAA's highest level of championship football.

The last 4 NCAA DIVISION I Football champions are as follows; Delaware (03), James Madison (04), Appalachian State (05), and Appalachian State (06). That’s right, Appalachian State, was the 05 and 06 NCAA DIVISION I NATIONAL CHAMPIONS. They earned their championships thru the NCAA's Football Championship Playoff System. Something the BCS schools don't compete for.

Please check over your newspapers Quality Assurance/Quality Control system, and if need be, check the NCAA Division I rules to learn what the difference between Division I and Division II is.

There are NO A's in Division I. No I-A, no I-AA, it is ALL Division I, which is segregated by two subdivisions, the subdivision that plays for year end high profile Exhibition Games, most of which are meaningless championships. And then there is the official NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), which is where the MAJORITY of Division I Football programs participate. That's right, THE MAJORITY.

PLEASE go and read the rules, learn the mistake of your article, and feel free to apologize to the thousands of Montana State , and Appalachian State fans that you insulted with your lack of knowledge of your job.

My Name
McNeese University Alumni
Class of 1986.

P.S. While you’re at it, check the scoring summaries of the last time Texas A&M played McNeese (2001) and Texas State (2004). You will see that Texas A&M has a history of struggling with teams that play for the TRUE NCAA Division I Championships.

McTailGator
September 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM
That's why he writes for the Brenham Banner and not the NY Times. What a loser. xnonono2x

LOL...

Got news for you, the NYTimes is probably more ignorant. They are just overpaid and ignorant.

Griz40
September 3rd, 2007, 07:39 PM
Good email...let us know if you get a response back.

FCSFAN
September 3rd, 2007, 07:42 PM
IGNORANCE is rampant.attach this picture too to show them the trophy FCS wins:

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2007, 07:47 PM
Great job, guys! This is really a chance for us to publicize what our subdivision is truly about and how it is a Division I championship that our boys play for...

Brenham is not too far away from Huntsville, Texas and we have quite a few guys on KatFans.com who are former and current members of the media, so I have asked around if anyone know this guy...we'll see what kind of response we get if anyone knows him...

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=51169

th0m
September 3rd, 2007, 07:52 PM
LOL...

Got news for you, the NYTimes is probably more ignorant. They are just overpaid and ignorant.

Please do a little bit of research before you make claims like that, it makes you look like the writer of that article in the Brenham paper. The New York Times actually ran a very good article about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/03/sports/ncaafootball/03appalachian.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
My response...

It is embarassing as a proud alum of Sam Houston State, not too far from Brenham, that your newspaper called Appalachian State, a Division II program.

One would think that your newspaper, being right in the area of several Division I Football Championship Subdivision programs like SHSU, Texas State, Stephen F Austin and Prairie View A&M would have a clue that these programs are in fact Division I and even play for the Division I national title, something that Texas A&M can not even lay claim to.

th0m
September 3rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
This was my email to them by the way:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I don't know how qualified your sports writers are, or if they just feel like raising some hair. Either way, being factually wrong about something that, quite frankly, isn't very minute, just looks amateur-like.

I am probably not the only person to contact you on this, but maybe it will stick longer if more respond anyway. I am, of course, talking about referring to Appalachian State as Division II. You may not know where it is located. Frankly, I don't know where Brenham is either, but judging by the starting paragraph, it's probably somewhere in Texas. But it takes very little to no research (if you know just a little bit more about college football besides the BCS) to find out that they are in fact a full member of Divison I college athletics, having won 2 of the last National Championships. Not the championship they award by virtue of a poll at the 'top' level, but by a legitime 16-team playoff. I hope you will put out a rectification on your website, so you will stop this "small-college", "Division 2", etcetera reporting. Just for the record, since I didn't see it anywhere in the article, Montana State is also Divison I, having lost in the second round of the playoffs last year to, you guessed it, Appalachian State. That would be the same MSU that beat Colorado, a conference mate of - what seems to be - your beloved A&M Aggies.

Now, aren't you glad I shared all this information with you? I'm sure your readers will be glad when you share the correct information with them, too.

Have a good one,

Thomas Snaaijer

Eyes of Old Main
September 3rd, 2007, 08:01 PM

Talking heads on ESPN Radio were saying Division II this afternoon as well, so it's not just the little guys saying it.

brownbear
September 3rd, 2007, 08:47 PM
LOL...

The New York Times actually covers football in the northeastern US very well. It doesn't solely follow the Big East and other BCS conferences, but also covers Ivy League football every weekend during the Ivy football season. Last week, in their preview on college football, they had pages about the Ivy League as well as many conferences in Division II in the northeast as well.

The one I actually was disappointed with was Sports Illustrated. Their reviews only covered "I-A" Football teams.

Here's the link: http://www.nytimes.com/pages/sports/ncaafootball/index.html

Look at the section in the top right titled "The Quad" which has sections for the eastern Leagues.

brownbear
September 3rd, 2007, 09:10 PM
On ESPN Sportsnation, ESPN asks if Appalachian State should be invited to join Division I next year.

There are so many things wrong in that sentance I don't know where to begin.

catbob
September 3rd, 2007, 10:34 PM
Tell that to you fans. If you read bobcatcounty.com you would swear the bobcats had won the superbowl.

xcoffeex

Right.

BEAR
September 3rd, 2007, 10:42 PM
On ESPN Sportsnation, ESPN asks if Appalachian State should be invited to join Division I next year.

There are so many things wrong in that sentance I don't know where to begin.

Geez....xrolleyesx Do you think App will take it if they are invited? xeekx xlolx xlolx xlolx

saint0917
September 4th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Here's the guys email addy, [email protected].

andy7171
September 4th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Talking heads on ESPN Radio were saying Division II this afternoon as well, so it's not just the little guys saying it.

Yeah, Mike & Mike were referring to App State as Division II this morning as well. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

th0m
September 5th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I got a reply today:

Mr. Snaaijer,

Thanks for reading the story and sharing your thoughts. You are correct, the reference to Appalachian State as a Division II school was a mistake on my part –– I knew App. State was a I-AA (currently FCS) school, just goofed in the typing of the story and never caught it in a quick proofing.

As you can probably guess, the Banner-Press is a small paper, so I don't have a team of copy editors to proof my work, and things were a bit hectic this weekend, so it was a mistake that got overlooked but shouldn't have.

Friday night I drove into Houston to cover an 8:30 football game and didn't get back into the office until 1. Two hours later, after calling four other prep coaches for scores and writing up those stories, I got to go home -- until 6:45 in the morning, when I had to go back up to the office to do all the page design and editing for our weekend sports edition. At 1 that afternoon I shot a volleyball game, then got back from the game, showered and drove up to College Station to cover the Texas A&M-Montana State game. Got back around 11 p.m. that night to write the story, and by that time I was pretty exhausted.

I'm not sharing all that so you'll take pity on me but so you might understand how such an obvious mistake ended up in the paper. It wasn't anything malicious against FCS programs, and no disrespect was intended.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the football season.

Richard Bray
Sports Editor
Brenham Banner-Press

Col Hogan
September 5th, 2007, 06:05 PM

There's an email link on the bottom of the story...I'll post his reply if I get one...

Thought I'd follow up on this. I got a response today from the writer...a decent response if I must say...

He admits his mistake...and "vents" a little about his job...I've been where he is right now and will forgive him...

Here's his response, in total...

Mr. djp22192,

Thanks for reading the story and sharing your thoughts. You are
correct, the reference to Appalachian State as a Division II school
was a mistake on my part –– I knew App. State was a I-AA (currently
FCS) school, just goofed in the typing of the story and never caught
it in a quick proofing.

As you can probably guess, the Banner-Press is a small paper, so I
don't have a team of copy editors to proof my work, and things were a
bit hectic this weekend, so it was a mistake that got overlooked but
shouldn't have.

Friday night I drove into Houston to cover an 8:30 football game and
didn't get back into the office until 1. Two hours later, after
calling four other prep coaches for scores and writing up those
stories, I got to go home -- until 6:45 in the morning, when I had to
go back up to the office to do all the page design and editing for
our weekend sports edition. At 1 that afternoon I shot a volleyball
game, then got back from the game, showered and drove up to College
Station to cover the Texas A&M-Montana State game. Got back around 11
p.m. that night to write the story, and by that time I was pretty
exhausted.

I'm not sharing all that so you'll take pity on me but so you might
understand how such an obvious mistake ended up in the paper. It
wasn't anything malicious against FCS programs, and no disrespect was
intended.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the football season.

Richard Bray
Sports Editor
Brenham Banner-Press

majorbta
September 6th, 2007, 07:26 AM
I got the same response. I am guessing he got so many emails he started using a template it

appfan2008
September 6th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Geez....xrolleyesx Do you think App will take it if they are invited? xeekx xlolx xlolx xlolx

invited to play where we already are!... that makes lots of sense xlolx xnodx xlolx

appfan2008
September 6th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Good email...let us know if you get a response back.

he wont ... those guys never seem to email to people that know more than they do

HaveFunKc
September 7th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Thought I'd follow up on this. I got a response today from the writer...a decent response if I must say...

He admits his mistake...and "vents" a little about his job...I've been where he is right now and will forgive him...

Here's his response, in total...

Interesting how it seems the same response was sent... xeyebrowx

Doubly interesting how no reference to a 'print correction' is offered. xwhistlex

Not saying... Just saying...

SoCon48
September 7th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I understand the logic. I just hope surgeons don't say, I'm overworked, so it doesn't matter if I accidently sew up a pair of scissors or a scapel in a couple of patients.

Col Hogan
September 7th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Interesting how it seems the same response was sent... xeyebrowx

Doubly interesting how no reference to a 'print correction' is offered. xwhistlex

Not saying... Just saying...

I've worked in small operations such as his...busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest...

He admits his mistake...so many of us wrote to him to complain, he can't do much more than a pretty canned response...

Let's cut him some slack...for now...

bkrownd
September 7th, 2007, 12:01 PM
This thread reeks of "small man syndrome" and self confidence issues.

DUPFLFan
September 7th, 2007, 04:37 PM

AGS'rs do the same thing...Many of you think that non-schollys are Division III. Doesn't feel good when someone disses your school does it...

citdog
September 7th, 2007, 04:42 PM
AGS'rs do the same thing...Many of you think that non-schollys are Division III. Doesn't feel good when someone disses your school does it...

they may not be, but they should be

BDKJMU
September 7th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I bet you think that LSU, Texas , Southern Cal, and Florida were the last 4 NCAA Division I Football Champions. Don't you? If so, you are WRONG. They are the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) Champs. Which is NOT affiliated with the NCAA at all. Those teams basically play in post season exhibition games for money. They chose not to participate in the NCAA's highest level of championship football.

The last 4 NCAA DIVISION I Football champions are as follows; Delaware (03), James Madison (04), Appalachian State (05), and Appalachian State (06). That’s right, Appalachian State, was the 05 and 06 NCAA DIVISION I NATIONAL CHAMPIONS. They earned their championships thru the NCAA's Football Championship Playoff System. Something the BCS schools don't compete for.....

...There are NO A's in Division I. No I-A, no I-AA, it is ALL Division I, which is segregated by two subdivisions, the subdivision that plays for year end high profile Exhibition Games, most of which are meaningless championships. And then there is the official NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), which is where the MAJORITY of Division I Football programs participate. That's right, THE MAJORITY.

I fault the guy for typing ASU is D-II. Thats no excuse, and the guy deserved to get an earful for that. However, you've got to admit, although you're technically right, if you ask 99.99% of college football fans who the Div I National Champ was last year, they'll say Univ of Florida. Its not even worth getting into an arguement over. You could argue it till your blue in the face and 99.99% of all college football fans will still say UF was last year's Div I national champs, and USC if they win it this yr. Don't waste your breath. That will never change.

Also, probably 99.9% of college football fans still use I-AA and don't even know what FCS and FBS are. And 90%-99% of the college football sportswriters & reporters still use I-A & I-AA. Even the players and coaches (ASU Coach Moore being an ex) still use it. If you try to use FCS and FBS outside this message board and those few diehard FCS fans you'll have to have a lot of patience explaining to people.

Sportswriters, FCS coaches and fans shouldn't be criticized IMHO for using I-A & I-AA.

But if they call I-AA/FCS D-II like this guy did, then by all means, give them an earful.