PDA

View Full Version : Best possible outcome for all of FCS ...

JaxSinfonian
September 3rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Yes, another App. thread. Sorry if this point has been covered in another thread ... there are just too many to read them all.

The Mountaineers' victory Saturday was awesome, but I've got a feeling it'll be largely forgotten by the rest of the college football world by the end of the season ... unless:

Appalachian State tears through the rest of its schedule and returns to the Division I Championship game in Chatty. Especially if Michigan bounces back to have any success this season, having an undefeated Mountaineers squad in the title game could draw a lot more interest to that broadcast than there ever has been before. Imagine if all those fans of "big time" football who watched the ASU victory in bars and stadiums around the country were tuned in to see what a real postseason looks like.

And just so that expanded audience doesn't think App. is some freakish big fish in a tiny pond and really ought to move up, the best possible outcome of that title game, in terms of the public's perception of FCS, would be ... for the opposing team to win.

I'm an ASU fan from here on out until Chatty. Then I'm throwing my allegiance to whoever's lining up against them.

BobcatSymphony
September 3rd, 2007, 01:23 PM
Interesting perspective. However, Week1 is interesting for lots of teams. The worst thing for ASU now is that there's a target on their back and everyone is keying in. I think there's lots of teams in FCS who'd love to have a crack at them. Some will in OOC, and others (assuming ASU wins out enough for playoffs) get that chance in the playoffs.

I for one congratulate ASU on the big win in Michigan. However, I'm not going to put all my eggs in one basket and say they're in the NC game in Chatty. They still have to win conference and get past the playoff games. Remember, it's an ANY given Saturday scenario.

Oh yea:OASAASLLS

brownbear
September 3rd, 2007, 01:36 PM
This is a very unlikely scenario, but what if this happens:

Appalachian State wins out and takes the FCS title. Meanwhile, Michigan gets renewed confidence and wins out, taking the Big Ten title and perhaps making the BCS Championship game.

One loss teams win the national championship every few years (2006, 2003, 1996, 1993, 1990, ...). If Michigan won it all, would people say Appalachian State is the best team in the country. I thought Boise State and Utah could have argued they were the best teams in the country.

BobcatSymphony
September 3rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
Meanwhile, Michigan gets renewed confidence and wins out, taking the Big Ten title and perhaps making the BCS Championship game.

Some reason I seriously doubt the BCS computers/pollsters will let Michigan into the BCS Champ Game. Plus, if PSU is firing on all cylinders, their conference schedule could prove very formidable.

BlueHen86
September 3rd, 2007, 01:55 PM
I think the best scenario for FCS is:

-Michigan wins out making App St.'s win that much more impressive

-App. St. loses a game or two to FCS opponents thus showing how strong FCS is.

JaxSinfonian
September 3rd, 2007, 01:56 PM
Bobcat: I didn't present the above as a prediction, just as a thought about the best possible publicity for FCS that could come of the App. win this weekend. I am officially hoping for it, but not predicting it. (And Hail Sinfonia, brother!)

Brownbear, you're right, your scenario is unlikely (though it would be cool). Getting to the "championship" game in FBS depends on polls and computer-determined strength of schedule. Even if Michigan wins out, could they really convince voters they belong in the title game? Could they overcome the statistical deficit created by the loss to "lowly" Appalachian State?

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what's so great about FCS. While the selection committee does introduce a subjective element, I'd much rather argue over who's No. 16 than over who's No.1.

DaveK
September 3rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
Yes, another App. thread. Sorry if this point has been covered in another thread ... there are just too many to read them all.

The Mountaineers' victory Saturday was awesome, but I've got a feeling it'll be largely forgotten by the rest of the college football world by the end of the season ... unless:

Appalachian State tears through the rest of its schedule and returns to the Division I Championship game in Chatty. Especially if Michigan bounces back to have any success this season, having an undefeated Mountaineers squad in the title game could draw a lot more interest to that broadcast than there ever has been before. Imagine if all those fans of "big time" football who watched the ASU victory in bars and stadiums around the country were tuned in to see what a real postseason looks like.

And just so that expanded audience doesn't think App. is some freakish big fish in a tiny pond and really ought to move up, the best possible outcome of that title game, in terms of the public's perception of FCS, would be ... for the opposing team to win.

I'm an ASU fan from here on out until Chatty. Then I'm throwing my allegiance to whoever's lining up against them.

Perhaps there is some truth to the theory that App. State is some freakish big fish in a tiny pond and really ought to move up. After all, they're the only I-AA team ever to beat a ranked D1 opponent.

NDSUFREAK
September 3rd, 2007, 02:12 PM
Some reason I seriously doubt the BCS computers/pollsters will let Michigan into the BCS Champ Game. Plus, if PSU is firing on all cylinders, their conference schedule could prove very formidable.

it doesn't matter about the computers. if you win the Big Ten, doesn't matter who you are, you are awarded a Rose Bowl birth PERIOD

mistersykes
September 3rd, 2007, 02:30 PM
I think an even better outcome for FCS (instead of ASU winning until a loss in Chatty - because in reality, nobody who follows FBS will really care by then) is for FCS teams to continue to upset FBS teams throughout the season! There's no better way to get exposure to our subdivision.

Jerbearasu
September 3rd, 2007, 02:39 PM
it doesn't matter about the computers. if you win the Big Ten, doesn't matter who you are, you are awarded a Rose Bowl birth PERIOD

Rose Bowl yes. But not the national championship. That ship has sailed for Michigan. a 10-1 Sun Belt team would make it to the BCS Title game before Michigan now. But even still a 10-1 Michigan team in the Rose Bowl would give the win by App that much more credence!

SuperJon
September 3rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
After all, they're the only I-AA team ever to beat a ranked D1 opponent.

No. No, they're not. ESPN has been saying this since the game was played. I know it's homerish and it takes nothing away from App, but Liberty beat the #24 ranked team in the country in 1987 on a last second pass to Eric Green.

kardplayer
September 3rd, 2007, 03:10 PM
...The worst thing for ASU now is that there's a target on their back and everyone is keying in. I think there's lots of teams in FCS who'd love to have a crack at them. Some will in OOC, and others (assuming ASU wins out enough for playoffs) get that chance in the playoffs....

While the win may add to the target, I think the back-to-back NC's already had it there...

I think an even better outcome for FCS (instead of ASU winning until a loss in Chatty - because in reality, nobody who follows FBS will really care by then) is for FCS teams to continue to upset FBS teams throughout the season! There's no better way to get exposure to our subdivision.

I agree!

Rose Bowl yes. But not the national championship. That ship has sailed for Michigan. a 10-1 Sun Belt team would make it to the BCS Title game before Michigan now. But even still a 10-1 Michigan team in the Rose Bowl would give the win by App that much more credence!

A 10-1 Sun Belt team won't get in, but its certainly possible a 10-1 SEC or other conference team will get in. Keep in mind though, the way polls work, if Michigan is 10-1, there's a good chance they'll be the top ranked 10-1 if the other schools lose later in the year, since folks tend to move teams down when they lose and up when they win. If this were to happen, they'll make the story something about rebirth from the ashes, blah blah blah...

No. No, they're not. ESPN has been saying this since the game was played. I know it's homerish and it takes nothing away from App, but Liberty beat the #24 ranked team in the country in 1987 on a last second pass to Eric Green.

I'm looking at College Football DB, and can't figure out which game you are talking about... That said, the quote I saw on ESPN was that no I-AA had beaten a ranked I-A since 1989 and probably not before that. Also, sometimes they'll use the AP poll in these types of things and whoever Liberty beat may have been #24 in another poll (e.g. UPI)
http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/bigsouth/liberty/yearly_results.php?year=1985

AZGrizFan
September 3rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
Perhaps there is some truth to the theory that App. State is some freakish big fish in a tiny pond and really ought to move up. After all, they're the only I-AA team ever to beat a ranked D1 opponent.

And they do average over 20,000 people. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 03:27 PM

No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, NO!xnonox xnonox xnonox

SunCoastBlueHen
September 3rd, 2007, 03:34 PM
Obviously, it would be for Michigan to win out and then take the Rose Bowl. App. State wins out and reaches the championship game. Delaware wins out, including a lopsided victory over Navy (who goes 10-1 and also wins a major bowl), to take on ASU in the Championship game. Delaware then wins 63-62 in five overtimes in what many consider to be the most exciting college football game ever played. :D

SuperJon
September 3rd, 2007, 04:07 PM
I'm looking at College Football DB, and can't figure out which game you are talking about... That said, the quote I saw on ESPN was that no I-AA had beaten a ranked I-A since 1989 and probably not before that. Also, sometimes they'll use the AP poll in these types of things and whoever Liberty beat may have been #24 in another poll (e.g. UPI)
http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/bigsouth/liberty/yearly_results.php?year=1985

I'm thinking that's what is going on. We beat Eastern Michigan who was ranked #24 in one of the polls at the time.