18. Sam Houston St.
19. Portland St.
20. Yale
21. Nicholls St.
22. Texas St.
23. Illinois St.
24. Lehigh
25. Montana St.

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Drake (45), Towson (43), Western Illinois (38), Delaware St. (32), South Dakota St. (29), Lafayette (24), Maine (15), Northern Arizona (14), Princeton (13), Harvard (12), Coastal Carolina (10), Georgia Southern (10), The Citadel (10), Liberty (7), San Diego (7), Northwestern St. (6), Richmond (6), South Carolina St. (6), Alabama A&M (5)

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Appalachian St.
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Illinois St.

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2007, 12:12 PM
As I had hoped, we have four SLC teams (SHSU, McN, Nicholls and Texas St) in the poll. This is great news for the conference and hopefully we'll continue to see a very strong SLC presence in the remainder of the polls that come out this week...

patssle
September 3rd, 2007, 12:17 PM
Wow I cannot believe SHSU is that high. We did nothing to warrent that in our first game vs. a D2 school.

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2007, 12:18 PM
Wow I cannot believe SHSU is that high. We did nothing to warrent that in our first game vs. a D2 school.

I agree. I dropped SHSU about 6-7 spots in my poll this week. It's tough with all those games against FBS and sub-Div I teams in the early weeks, but I definitely felt SHSU deserved to be lower, even putting Nicholls and Texas State above them...

hvsader
September 3rd, 2007, 12:21 PM
UMass hasn't given up 30 points in a few years...(App St scored 28 against them) and yet Holy Cross can't get 5 votes?

OL FU
September 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
UMass hasn't given up 30 points in a few years...(App St scored 28 against them) and yet Holy Cross can't get 5 votes?

There is plenty of time to climb up that ladderxnodx

hvsader
September 3rd, 2007, 12:30 PM
There is plenty of time to climb up that ladderxnodx

Then conduct the poll after "plenty of time"...

OL FU
September 3rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
Then conduct the poll after "plenty of time"...

I am sure they willxeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

CatFan22
September 3rd, 2007, 12:37 PM
Pretty lame that MSU drops 4 spots from the preseason poll to #25. xnonono2x
I predict this will look quite different for us by the end of the season.

Ivytalk
September 3rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Good to see 97 voters this week on a holiday weekend.xthumbsupx Maybe we can break 100 next week!

What's the most voters ever in a regular-season poll week?

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Three SoCon teams about to hold 3 places in that top 10....

grizband
September 3rd, 2007, 12:58 PM
I still wouldn't have dropped Ill. State as far, mostly because I think they will still be a top 20 team this season. Otherwise, the poll looks good, with a few teams knocking on the door. Good to see 3 Big Sky teams on there, I hope all 3 climb the ranks this season.

th0m
September 3rd, 2007, 01:04 PM

Why not? We dropped 4 odd spots and I'm surprised we didn't drop any more.

CrazyCat
September 3rd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Since we're idle this week, that will give everybody a chance to vote us out of the top 25, just what you all wanted anyway.

BisonBacker
September 3rd, 2007, 01:07 PM
Since we're idle this week, that will give everybody a chance to vote us out of the top 25, just what you all wanted anyway.

Hmmm a little inferiority complex??xeyebrowx

Ronbo
September 3rd, 2007, 01:08 PM
Careful Bison. MSU has your number.xlolx Seriously they hung with a very good A&M team for a half and put up some nice offensive numbers. Good job MSU.

Ivytalk
September 3rd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Hmmm. Yale didn't play, and they vaulted 5 spots in the standings, up to #20. They don't play next week either, so they should be up to #15 in week 2's poll. Who know how high they can rise when they actually start playing!xcoolx

:p

Col Hogan
September 3rd, 2007, 01:18 PM
Hmmm. Yale didn't play, and they vaulted 5 spots in the standings, up to #20. They don't play next week either, so they should be up to #15 in week 2's poll. Who know how high they can rise when they actually start playing!xcoolx

Things that make you go "Hmmmm?"

Otherwise, not bad for week one...it was a lot more work that I first thought it would be......

uofmman1122
September 3rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
I predict this will look quite different for us by the end of the season.By that you must mean nowhere in sight.xlolx xlolx xlolx

Sorry, I had to. xsmiley_wix

In all seriousness, you guys played great against A&M. I really look forward to coming out in November....assuming I can find a ticket. xoopsx

CrazyCat
September 3rd, 2007, 01:40 PM

Not at all, just speakin the truth.

elkmcc
September 3rd, 2007, 01:42 PM

I might be wrong but I think you also predicted that the bobcats would move up this week. Wa wa wa..

UNHWildCats
September 3rd, 2007, 01:42 PM
I kept MSU the same place as pre season poll

elkmcc
September 3rd, 2007, 01:44 PM
As they would say in Fargo: Ubetcha

NDSUFREAK
September 3rd, 2007, 02:13 PM

what does that have to do with anything that he said? xconfusedx bringing your grudge against NDSU on to AGS as well?xrolleyesx

Fresno St. Alum
September 3rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
agsmin,mods,anyone that wants to do it? Could you put the records of the school next to their name in the poll when its posted & put who they play next week (@ Whoever, vs Whoever, or Idle)

just a thought, what do you guys think

CatFan22
September 3rd, 2007, 02:29 PM

Things like this make me question the AGS poll anymore.

katstrapper
September 3rd, 2007, 02:41 PM

That is where we started the season. Why would you drop if you win the game?

BisonBacker
September 3rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
Careful Bison. MSU has your number.xlolx Seriously they hung with a very good A&M team for a half and put up some nice offensive numbers. Good job MSU.

They have to play us first to have our numberxnonox

blukeys
September 3rd, 2007, 02:50 PM
agsmin,mods,anyone that wants to do it? Could you put the records of the school next to their name in the poll when its posted & put who they play next week (@ Whoever, vs Whoever, or Idle)

just a thought, what do you guys think

I think anyone can do this if they want to take the initiative. I think the mods and admins. do quite a bit. We could start a thread with everyone's schedule for reference. Delaware's record is 1-0 and are playing West Chester on Saturday.

blukeys
September 3rd, 2007, 02:51 PM
Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25
9/3/2007
(First place votes in parenthesis)
1. Appalachian St. (97)
2. Montana
3. North Dakota St.
4. Massachusetts
5. Northern Iowa
6. New Hampshire
7. Youngstown St.
8. Furman
9. McNeese St.
10. Southern Illinois
11. James Madison
12. Wofford
13. Delaware 1-0 vs West Chester @ Home
14. Hampton
15. Eastern Illinois
16. Cal Poly
17. Tennessee-Martin
18. Sam Houston St.
19. Portland St.
20. Yale
21. Nicholls St.
22. Texas St.
23. Illinois St.
24. Lehigh
25. Montana St.

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Drake (45), Towson (43), Western Illinois (38), Delaware St. (32), South Dakota St. (29), Lafayette (24), Maine (15), Northern Arizona (14), Princeton (13), Harvard (12), Coastal Carolina (10), Georgia Southern (10), The Citadel (10), Liberty (7), San Diego (7), Northwestern St. (6), Richmond (6), South Carolina St. (6), Alabama A&M (5)

Feel free to improve on this.

FormerPokeCenter
September 3rd, 2007, 02:53 PM
Okay...Cal Poly loses to Texas State and Texas State is ranked lower than Cal-Poly?

Montana State falls significantly after the loss to A&M, but YSU remains relatively unscathed after the loss to Ohio State?

What am I missing here?

CrazyCat
September 3rd, 2007, 02:55 PM

Sounds good. Your place or ours.xthumbsupx Have your people call my people.

Peter Fields

Director of Athletics

[email protected] ([email protected])

406-994-4221

kardplayer
September 3rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Okay...Cal Poly loses to Texas State and Texas State is ranked lower than Cal-Poly?

Montana State falls significantly after the loss to A&M, but YSU remains relatively unscathed after the loss to Ohio State?

What am I missing here?

Lots of stuff (and I'm only quoting you, since you were the last to post).

1. The number of people responding in Week 1 vs. the preseason is very different. This means that any gains and falls vs. the preseason poll are relatively meaningless.
2. Many (most?) people don't factor FBS losses into their rankings (or DII wins for that matter) - thus for Montana State/YSU issues, see my number 1
3. OK, I don't have a great explanation for Texas State/Cal Poly. My best answer to that is that people may still feel Cal Poly is better than Texas State, even though they lost to them. (Note: I voted Texas State higher, thus my lack of a good story for this one)

Col Hogan
September 3rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by agsadmin
Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25
9/3/2007
1. Appalachian St. (97)
2. Montana
3. North Dakota St.
4. Massachusetts 1-0 @ Colgate
5. Northern Iowa
6. New Hampshire
7. Youngstown St.
8. Furman
9. McNeese St.
10. Southern Illinois
11. James Madison
12. Wofford
13. Delaware 1-0 vs West Chester @ Home
14. Hampton
15. Eastern Illinois
16. Cal Poly
17. Tennessee-Martin
18. Sam Houston St.
19. Portland St.
20. Yale
21. Nicholls St.
22. Texas St.
23. Illinois St.
24. Lehigh
25. Montana St.

Next

Ronbo
September 3rd, 2007, 03:01 PM

Didn't NDSU lose to MSU in 2005. Ah yes here it is.

09-24-2005
Montana State
North Dakota St.
Bozeman, MT

AZGrizFan
September 3rd, 2007, 03:10 PM

Agreed. NAU blows OUT their D2 opponent, SHSU struggles to win, and they're in the poll? They dropped in my poll. xrotatehx xrotatehx xeyebrowx

Gil Dobie
September 3rd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Didn't NDSU lose to MSU in 2005. Ah yes here it is.

09-24-2005
Montana State
North Dakota St.
Bozeman, MT

What happened to "you can't do that, it has to be head to head" arguement. xeyebrowx ;)

Gil Dobie
September 3rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
As far as the moving up and down. I thought the AGS pre-season poll was a vote on how you thought the teams would end up this year, and the first regular season poll was where you thought the teams were rated compared to the other teams after week one. xoopsx

bulldog10jw
September 3rd, 2007, 03:34 PM

That reminds me of a quote from Jim Bouton's "Ball Four" about a minor league pitcher in the Seattle Pilot's system, It was along the lines of "They liked him until they saw him up close". Maybe they like Yale; until they see them up close.;)

grizband
September 3rd, 2007, 03:37 PM
As far as the moving up and down. I thought the AGS pre-season poll was a vote on how you thought the teams would end up this year, and the first regular season poll was where you thought the teams were rated compared to the other teams after week one. xoopsx
I've always thought the preseason poll was a ranking of the teams before the season begins, not how you think they will end up.

DetroitFlyer
September 3rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
Drake defeats ISU and yet is still ranked below ISU.... In fact, ISU remains ranked, while Drake is still unranked.... This kind of nonsense really makes these polls look like a complete joke. Just like a popularity contest back in highschool. 100% subjective. Teams that have not even played, ( Harvard ), are ranked while Drake is not ranked.... Joke, joke, joke....

I'll put this as simply as I can.... Those of you that did not vote Drake into at least your top 25.... I'll be mailing your "Old Guard" membership cards this week. Frankly, you should all be ashamed of yourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FCSFAN
September 3rd, 2007, 04:50 PM
Drake defeats ISU and yet is still ranked below ISU.... In fact, ISU remains ranked, while Drake is still unranked.... This kind of nonsense really makes these polls look like a complete joke. Just like a popularity contest back in highschool. 100% subjective. Teams that have not even played, ( Harvard ), are ranked while Drake is not ranked.... Joke, joke, joke....

I'll put this as simply as I can.... Those of you that did not vote Drake into at least your top 25.... I'll be mailing your "Old Guard" membership cards this week. Frankly, you should all be ashamed of yourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Drake hit a home run on the first pitch of the season and suddenly should be an all-star? Illinois State gives up the home run and suddenly isn't an all-star? xrolleyesx You should be ashamed of yourself.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 3rd, 2007, 04:51 PM

I'll put this as simply as I can.... Those of you that did not vote Drake into at least your top 25.... I'll be mailing your "Old Guard" membership cards this week. Frankly, you should all be ashamed of yourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the way polls always work...you usually fall 5-10 places after each loss so that you have several chances. Drake will have to win a few more to prove that they are for real, as will teams like Delaware State.

BigApp
September 3rd, 2007, 05:00 PM

I look forward to receiving it. Do you have my correct address? xcoffeex

DetroitFlyer
September 3rd, 2007, 05:47 PM
Drake hits a homerun....

Yeah, Drake came out of nowhere. I guess that they did not win any games last year and really stunk up the place. The win against ISU must have been a complete fluke.... Cut me a break.... Just another tangible indication as to how the AGS community views the PFL. A Gateway team loses on its home field and stays ranked, a PFL team defeats a top 10 team on the road, and is not ranked. I stand by my comments and I still think if you did not vote Drake into your top 25, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

RabidRabbit
September 3rd, 2007, 05:47 PM

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I certainly selected my preseason choices based on the whole season, and expectations for each team.

Right now, my ranking of NDSU is based on their existing record (0-0) and is likely to remain high until a FCS team takes them down. My pre season poll had the Bison at 13th and Cal Poly and SDSU rated higher because I am projecting that SDSU and Poly will be the co-titleist of the GWFC, and NDSU to lose their last two away games to Poly and SDSU. Until those last 2 conference games, I expect that Bison will be undefeated vs FCS, but to lose to MN, and Central MI.xoopsx xoopsx

FargoBison
September 3rd, 2007, 05:59 PM
Drake hits a homerun....

Yeah, Drake came out of nowhere. I guess that they did not win any games last year and really stunk up the place. The win against ISU must have been a complete fluke.... Cut me a break.... Just another tangible indication as to how the AGS community views the PFL. A Gateway team loses on its home field and stays ranked, a PFL team defeats a top 10 team on the road, and is not ranked. I stand by my comments and I still think if you did not vote Drake into your top 25, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I didn't rank Drake or Illinois State so should I be ashamed? Do I still get my old gaurd membership card? I hope I don't get my membership status revoked for thinking of Drake as a team to watch and maybe rank in the future.

AZGrizFan
September 3rd, 2007, 06:35 PM
Drake hit a home run on the first pitch of the season and suddenly should be an all-star? Illinois State gives up the home run and suddenly isn't an all-star? xrolleyesx You should be ashamed of yourself.

Funny...substitute ASU and Michigan into that sentence and that's EXACTLY what I've been saying since Saturday.... xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

CatFan22
September 3rd, 2007, 06:51 PM
Funny...substitute ASU and Michigan into that sentence and that's EXACTLY what I've been saying since Saturday.... xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

xnodx xnodx xnodx

FCSFAN
September 3rd, 2007, 06:57 PM
Except ASU and Mich were already all-stars xrolleyesx

There are parallels but that's not one of them.

skinny_uncle
September 3rd, 2007, 06:59 PM
Rodney Dangerfield Syndrome.
:D

Col Hogan
September 3rd, 2007, 07:02 PM

I still have ISU ranked higher than Drake, which did make the bottom of my poll...ISU is a program that has proven itself in the past...Drake needs to show consistancy...

But I'm good with the overall poll as selected by the 97 voters...Drake basically came in 26th...

Do I still get my "Old Guard" membership card?

skinny_uncle
September 3rd, 2007, 07:10 PM
I didn't vote. Can I still get a card?

65 Pard
September 3rd, 2007, 08:17 PM
This poll has not enough love for Delaware and too much for Lehigh

AZGrizFan
September 3rd, 2007, 08:29 PM
Except ASU and Mich were already all-stars xrolleyesx

There are parallels but that's not one of them.

In their own ponds, true. ASU has NOT been an all-star on the big stage. Drake has been an all-star in the "I-AA non-schollie" world. ISU has been an allstar in the "I-AA schollie" world. ASU hitting the "home run", much like Drake, coming out of nowhere....doesn't make them worldbeaters....just brings more credence to the concept of "any given Saturday".

kardplayer
September 3rd, 2007, 08:31 PM

It all depends on your poll philosophy... there are really three viable schools of thought on this (IMHO):

1. Rank teams based solely on the on field performance - in these polls, Drake is ahead of Ill. State, Texas State is ahead of Cal Poly, etc. These are viable in week 1, but once conference play starts you get a lot of issues where Team A beat Team B, Team B beat Team C, and Team C beat Team A, then you are stuck.

2. Rank teams based solely on who you think the better team is (e.g. if teams played 100 times, who would win more games). This doesn't quite ignore actual results, but it comes pretty close.

3. A blend of the two (especially important with so many FBS and DII games in the first few weeks)

You can keep your old guard card away from - I fall closer to #1 early in the season (with a little #3 to boot) and have Drake ranked, Illinois State unranked, and Nicholls State ranked way higher than I think they'll end up, based solely on the fact that they have the second biggest win of the first weekend.

Pard4Life
September 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM

True, I actually had SHSU 25 in the preseason poll and dropped them.

Pard4Life
September 3rd, 2007, 09:33 PM
I didn't rank Drake or ISU... I guess I am "stiff"..

If Delaware wins another I will probably put them in my poll.. I was too impressed with other teams' wins (Texas St., Nicholls, Delaware St.)

GaSouthern
September 3rd, 2007, 09:34 PM
Sad to not see Drake in the top 25 :(

BobbyMo
September 3rd, 2007, 09:55 PM

I am with you xnodx xnodx

CatFan22
September 3rd, 2007, 10:04 PM
I am with you xnodx xnodx

They were in there on mine.

PantherRob82
September 3rd, 2007, 10:58 PM

I think Drake got screwed. Illinois State may have been overated, but is still a top 25 team. Based on what we have seen so far, Drake is top 25 caliber.

PantherRob82
September 3rd, 2007, 10:59 PM
I agree. I dropped SHSU about 6-7 spots in my poll this week. It's tough with all those games against FBS and sub-Div I teams in the early weeks, but I definitely felt SHSU deserved to be lower, even putting Nicholls and Texas State above them...

I dropped them a little, but not much with all the other losses.

PantherRob82
September 3rd, 2007, 10:59 PM

It's hard to guage how good a team really is in a loss.

PantherRob82
September 3rd, 2007, 11:03 PM
A convincing win by Drake(since they are playing down) and a good showing by Ill St should get Drake in.

blukeys
September 3rd, 2007, 11:14 PM

Why not wait to see what everyone does in the next month????

Illinois State could very well be over rated since they have not played a single game prior to Saturday. There are plenty of teams deserving top 25 mention besides Drake.

Let's see how the scedules shakes out especially Drake vs. UNI before anyone passes judgement.

AZGrizFan
September 4th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I think Drake got screwed. Illinois State may have been overated, but is still a top 25 team. Based on what we have seen so far, Drake is top 25 caliber.

well, based on "others receiving votes" totals, they ARE ranked 26th. xeyebrowx

Fresno St. Alum
September 4th, 2007, 12:28 AM
I'll be sporting the Drake helmet for the next 3 days in honor of their win. I had them at #24.

PantherRob82
September 4th, 2007, 02:25 AM
well, based on "others receiving votes" totals, they ARE ranked 26th. xeyebrowx

I know, I know. :)

Tealblood
September 4th, 2007, 06:33 AM
I had Drake #24 and Delaware St. # 25 in mine

Tealblood
September 4th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I think App St.==Drake is a good paralel since michigan might not drop all the way out and it is doubtful App St gets moved into the FBS top 25

ButlerGSU
September 4th, 2007, 06:39 AM
I think App St.==Drake is a good paralel since michigan might not drop all the way out and it is doubtful App St gets moved into the FBS top 25

Of course not, they are not allowed to get AP votes so it is impossible. The AP poll is strictly a I-A poll.

saint0917
September 4th, 2007, 06:43 AM

When voting you can't compare last years Umass team to this years. xrolleyesx

Khan4Cats
September 4th, 2007, 09:37 AM
A convincing win by Drake(since they are playing down) and a good showing by Ill St should get Drake in.

I think what the Drake fans, and their supporters, are worried about, is that if Ill St starts to win, they will actually move back up in the polls, while Drake will still not receive credit for their victory. Unfortunately, I think that is the case. Wins against Waldorf and Platteville, even by big margins, are not going to excite too many people. Play them close and it is even less likely. I think it would take a win over UNI to put Drake solidly in the poll, unless there are several teams in the 17-30 range that stumble. And since I don't think Drake will beat UNI, they may not get a chance at a ranking.

terrierbob
September 4th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I think some FBS coach was quoted as saying he'd vote ASU in the top 25. I don't know if they'd let him, but I'm pretty sure that's what he said.

andy7171
September 4th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I think some FBS coach was quoted as saying he'd vote ASU in the top 25. I don't know if they'd let him, but I'm pretty sure that's what he said.

Any unranked team that jumps up and beats the #5 team at home would receive a lot more than just one vote. If allowed, ASU would definately be ranked this week. xthumbsupx

downbythebeach
September 4th, 2007, 10:14 AM
The PFL may have a good year........if they keep winning those in conference games could be seen as worth something when it comes selection time.

DUPFLFan
September 4th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I think what the Drake fans, and their supporters, are worried about, is that if Ill St starts to win, they will actually move back up in the polls, while Drake will still not receive credit for their victory. Unfortunately, I think that is the case. Wins against Waldorf and Platteville, even by big margins, are not going to excite too many people. Play them close and it is even less likely. I think it would take a win over UNI to put Drake solidly in the poll, unless there are several teams in the 17-30 range that stumble. And since I don't think Drake will beat UNI, they may not get a chance at a ranking.

Yep. Exactly...

AZGrizFan
September 4th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Well, since several of the voters (including me) had Drake ALREADY in thier top 25, as teams above them lose, it's natural for them to move up. And since they are ALREADY ranked 26th, they should continue moving up until they lose. See, that's the way it works! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

MarkCCU
September 4th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I disagree, San Diego should be in the top 10. We remember how well they played against amazing teams last season. :)

lizrdgizrd
September 4th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Week 1 polls are almost meaningless. It's the first time any of these teams have seen competition and those that deserve to be in will move in as overrated teams fall by the wayside. xpeacex

appfan2008
September 4th, 2007, 12:37 PM

i am sure that some will but it just wont be counted i guess

appfan2008
September 4th, 2007, 12:38 PM
also... i voted asu number one in my poll!... anyone else...

;)

AZGrizFan
September 4th, 2007, 12:38 PM
also... i voted asu number one in my poll!... anyone else...

;)

I had them 7th. Michigan really isn't that good. xcoffeex

appfan2008
September 4th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I had them 7th. Michigan really isn't that good. xcoffeex

all 97 people that voted had them first... so i really doubt you had them 7th!... but i have had montana a close second on each poll so far this year

citdog
September 4th, 2007, 12:47 PM
there are some serious homers and (homos too) voting on this poll. Coastal Carolina at 0-1 receives the same amount of votes as The Citadel who won? come on nuts on chinners you can do better than that.

Grizalltheway
September 4th, 2007, 12:51 PM
That's not as bad as TSN having UMass above Montana. I think 89Hen was in on that one. xchinscratchx

Col Hogan
September 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM
That's not as bad as TSN having UMass above Montana. I think 89Hen was in on that one. xchinscratchx

OK, I'll bite...

UMass beat Montana in semi's...

Both teams are 1-0 this year...

So what am I missing?????

CatFan22
September 4th, 2007, 01:36 PM
OK, I'll bite...

Last year has nothing to do with this year. UM won 38-17. UMass only beat Holy Cross by 10. It seemed as if UM handled SUU better than UMass handled Holy Cross.

bandl
September 4th, 2007, 01:37 PM
OK, I'll bite...

Um...Montana is ALWAYS the pre-season FCS Champion. They will be ranked higher than everyone they see fit until it is proven otherwise! xmadx xrolleyesx

Appy State should feel lucky that Montana allowed them to remain in first place after they took care of that SUU juggernaut.

Col Hogan
September 4th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Last year has nothing to do with this year. UM won 38-17. UMass only beat Holy Cross by 10. It seemed as if UM handled SUU better than UMass handled Holy Cross.

Crap, I didn't know final scores were the way we do ratings...no one told me...

I thought it was the competition...HC is picked mid to upper PL...

SUU is picked, I think, dead last in GW

Hummmmmmmmm

putter
September 4th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Um...Montana is ALWAYS the pre-season FCS Champion. They will be ranked higher than everyone they see fit until it is proven otherwise! xmadx xrolleyesx

Appy State should feel lucky that Montana allowed them to remain in first place after they took care of that SUU juggernaut.

Not in the last few years and certainly not this year...

TheValleyRaider
September 4th, 2007, 01:49 PM

I think it's pretty simple what happened. Montana lost all their #1 votes from the week before when people switched to App. The resulting loss of points caused them to be squeezed out by UMass. The margin was a grand total of 2 points. Besides, you're all top 3 anyway, differences are hardly worth complaining about.

HensRock
September 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Furman handled Presbyterian better than either one. Maybe Furman should be #2.

McNeese handled PSU pretty well too. Maybe McNeese should be #2.

CatFan22
September 4th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Furman handled Presbyterian better than either one. Maybe Furman should be #2.

McNeese handled PSU pretty well too. Maybe McNeese should be #2.

Fine with me. The way people vote in this poll anymore, maybe it should be that way.

89Hen
September 4th, 2007, 02:27 PM
5/22/2006
Any Given Saturday Poll Preseason Top 25
1. Appalachian State (45)
2. New Hampshire (31)
3. Northern Iowa (7)
4. Montana (2)
5. Furman (2)
8. James Madison (2)
12. North Dakota State (1)

2005 Preseason AGS Poll (5/23/2005)
(first place votes in parenthesis)
1. James Madison (45)
2. Furman (12)
3. Eastern Washington (10)
4. Montana (2)
5. Georgia Southern (2)
6. Western Kentucky (1)
8. Northwestern State (1)
9. New Hampshire (1)
10. Northern Iowa
11. Southern Illinois (1)
15. Harvard (1)

2004 Preseason AGS Poll

1. Delaware (37)
2. Southern Illinois (8)
3. Montana (3)
4. Furman (5)
5. Northern Iowa (1)
6. Wofford (2)
8. Maine (1)
10. Villanova (1)

putter
September 4th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. I had Montana #5 pre-season anyway and still there.

OL FU
September 4th, 2007, 02:30 PM
5/22/2006
2. New Hampshire (31)
3. Northern Iowa (7)
4. Montana (2)
5. Furman (2)
8. James Madison (2)

1. James Madison (45)
2. Furman (12)
4. Montana (2)
5. Georgia Southern (2)
6. Western Kentucky (1)
9. New Hampshire (1)
10. Northern Iowa
15. Harvard (1)

2004 Preseason AGS Poll

1. Delaware (37)
2. Southern Illinois (8)
3. Montana (3)
4. Furman (5)
5. Northern Iowa (1)
6. Wofford (2)
8. Maine (1)
10. Villanova (1)

Furman does pretty good in the pre-season polls.xnodx :o

bandl
September 4th, 2007, 02:31 PM
5/22/2006
2. New Hampshire (31)
3. Northern Iowa (7)
4. Montana (2)
5. Furman (2)
8. James Madison (2)

1. James Madison (45)
2. Furman (12)
4. Montana (2)
5. Georgia Southern (2)
6. Western Kentucky (1)
9. New Hampshire (1)
10. Northern Iowa
15. Harvard (1)

2004 Preseason AGS Poll

1. Delaware (37)
2. Southern Illinois (8)
3. Montana (3)
4. Furman (5)
5. Northern Iowa (1)
6. Wofford (2)
8. Maine (1)
10. Villanova (1)

I'm noticing a trend with those #1 teams...did they have really good freshmen recruiting classes? Upgrade their facilities? Schedule a BCS-conference opponent? xconfusedx xrotatehx

ChickenMan
September 4th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Furman does pretty good in the pre-season polls.xnodx :o

Apparently it's the dam games that causes them problems... :p

OL FU
September 4th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Apparently it's the dam games that causes them problems... :p

Cancel the season
xthumbsupx

Walkon79
September 4th, 2007, 03:51 PM

We did, and did in 2005. Sorry for bagging the return trip this year, but from what I understand the A&M trip was amazing for our fans. (and put $450,000 in our pocket) Quit whining!!:p :p