PDA

View Full Version : Will FBS Teams continue to Schedule FCS Teams?

BisonBacker
September 2nd, 2007, 11:49 PM
After the developments of this weekend how long will it be before these teams refuse to schedule FCS teams? I'm just curious on what everyone else thinks about this. I have to think there is some behind the scenes carping in Michigan about "why did we schedule this team again"? Even though the chances are not in the FCS teams favor which is obvious given the way the scores worked out this week with the exception of the Appy game I have to think these questions will be asked in the future. No team wants to be "The team"who loses to a FCS opponent. It will be interesting to see how this is approached in the coming years. Add insult to injury Michigan had to pay Appy to come to the big house and beat them xlolx

Just curious what you guys think so I'll start a poll on it.

BULLDOG8180
September 3rd, 2007, 12:03 AM
App. St. will probably have a problem scheduling FBS teams.

After The Citadel beat South Carolina several years back, they would not schedule them, but ADs and coaches change.

In years past several SonCon schools had pretty good runs against FBS schools, not the top schools, but FBS schools.

I doubt if Michigan will schedule anymore.

BisonBacker
September 3rd, 2007, 12:06 AM
I should have put in a third option, It will make it more difficult to schedule them. I think the "Premiere" if you want to call them that teams will not continue to schedule them.

RadMann
September 3rd, 2007, 12:36 AM
UD gets its IA games for a somewhat different reason from other FCS programs. When Navy schedules UD they essentially guarantee themselves a sellout for the game, so they not only get an additional home game, but a sellout on top of it. Maryland might have been thinking the same way when they scheduled UD for next year.

poly51
September 3rd, 2007, 12:49 AM
I agree, we needed a 3rd option. It will affect some teams.

Lionsrking
September 3rd, 2007, 03:37 AM
FBS teams will continue to schedule FCS teams because they have to fill home dates, plain and simple. I'm sure Appalachian State won't be receiving as many calls but I don't see much of a change in the near future.

ASU_Chad
September 3rd, 2007, 06:33 AM
I second the addition of a 3rd option

JohnStOnge
September 3rd, 2007, 08:31 AM
No choice. They have to fill out their schedules.

I think one thing that will happen is that FBS coaches will focus a little more on preparation for such games. And you can bet "...remember the Appalachian State/Michigan game" will come up frequently.

Another thing that's going to happen is that the next time App goes to play a BCS league school that school's going to be a whole lot more prepared and ready to play than such teams normally are when a FCS comes in. A lot more attention will be devoted to game planning, I think.

jwfgeol
September 3rd, 2007, 09:09 AM
How about a fourth option, they won't schedule two-time defending national champions. xpeacex Well, schedules are usually made so far in advance that they won't know until it happens.

mainejeff
September 3rd, 2007, 09:44 AM
FBS teams will continue to schedule FCS teams because they have to fill home dates, plain and simple. I'm sure Appalachian State won't be receiving as many calls but I don't see much of a change in the near future.

On the money. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

appfan2008
September 3rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
asu different from most fcs teams and with the twelve game schedule, teams need an extra game, home date and (usually) win

Seawolf97
September 3rd, 2007, 11:17 AM
asu different from most fcs teams and with the twelve game schedule, teams need an extra game, home date and (usually) win

Agreed 100%xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

skinny_uncle
September 3rd, 2007, 11:30 AM
They will continue scheduling FCS teams since they can now have a 12 game schedule and count one FCS game towards a bowl bid. I doubt Appy State has that many problems getting a game. Wouldn't you like to be the next team that beats them now?

Ivytalk
September 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM

Good call!xnodx

brownbear
September 3rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
One possible result of this is that FBS-FCS games will generate more interest because of the possibility of upsets. It's similar to the way people always want to watch 5 vs. 12 games and 4 vs. 13 games in March Madness, so they can witness a great surprising upset. For FBS schools, the game becomes more competitive, and if FBS schools give it an ounce of thought, and not just walk in declaring victory before the game starts, they can beat FCS schools almost all of the time. FBS teams will be more afraid, but they will be better prepared.

BisonBacker
September 3rd, 2007, 01:09 PM
They will continue scheduling FCS teams since they can now have a 12 game schedule and count one FCS game towards a bowl bid. I doubt Appy State has that many problems getting a game. Wouldn't you like to be the next team that beats them now?

I wish the game would have been scheduled with NDSU. Would be one hell of a game.

DaveK
September 3rd, 2007, 02:01 PM

I don't think they should let the D1's count the I-AA games towards a bowl bid.

NDSUFREAK
September 3rd, 2007, 02:08 PM
I don't think those are good options. There should be one more yes option.
"Yes it will change but lower tier FBS teams will more than likely schedule rather than Top 25 teams." xtwocentsx

NDSUFREAK
September 3rd, 2007, 02:08 PM
I wish the game would have been scheduled with NDSU. Would be one hell of a game.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx