PDA

View Full Version : Arrogance or Ignorance?

ChooChoo
September 2nd, 2007, 10:54 PM
Ya know, I thought about the talking heads I saw yesterday all day. Their arrogance REALLY bothered me. From the Michigan announcer using the term "small college division", the TV guys fumbling misearbly with everything from "playoff division" to "sub-division football" to "cupcakes", to these ridiculous polls on ESPN's websites it is pathetic. I'm now thinking, were they being arrogant or are they ignorant? These guys are supposed to be authorities but it's painfully obvious they are oblivious. They live inside their Big 10 lovin', BCS hypen', Notre Dame rankin', bubble and read off the words in front of them.
The worst of it is their lack of perception and ignorance doesn't even register with millions of general football fans. It just perpetuates the second class stigma and lack of respect for the FCS schools.
Why can't ESPN Gameday explain that FBS and FCS are both Division 1 and list their differences next Saturday when they discuss this (and they will)? It would take 2 minutes out of their hour 1/2 show and clear-up tons of confusion amongst the general public who were exposed to the FCS thanks to ASU's victory.
But they won't.
Know why they won't? Because they don't know differences and they don't care.
Wouldn't you love to get paid to be the top authorities in your field and be so ignorant? xmadx

pete4256
September 2nd, 2007, 11:06 PM
Ya know, I thought about the talking heads I saw yesterday all day. Their arrogance REALLY bothered me. From the Michigan announcer using the term "small college division", the TV guys fumbling misearbly with everything from "playoff division" to "sub-division football" to "cupcakes", to these ridiculous polls on ESPN's websites it is pathetic. I'm now thinking, were they being arrogant or are they ignorant? These guys are supposed to be authorities but it's painfully obvious they are oblivious. They live inside their Big 10 lovin', BCS hypen', Notre Dame rankin', bubble and read off the words in front of them.
The worst of it is their lack of perception and ignorance doesn't even register with millions of general football fans. It just perpetuates the second class stigma and lack of respect for the FCS schools.
Why can't ESPN Gameday explain that FBS and FCS are both Division 1 and list their differences next Saturday when they discuss this (and they will)? It would take 2 minutes out of their hour 1/2 show and clear-up tons of confusion amongst the general public who were exposed to the FCS thanks to ASU's victory.
But they won't.
Wouldn't you love to get paid to be the top authorities in your field and be so ignorant? xmadx

Do you think any of the talking heads actually watched the game?

HaveFunKc
September 2nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
With predictions of 56-0 before hand, does that give you your answer?

RadMann
September 2nd, 2007, 11:28 PM
This exists every time a I-A (FBS) program plays a I-AA (FCS) program. Even with much less successful FBS programs, the media and the fans of the FBS program act the same way. A good example of this attitude was a few years back when UD rekindled the rivalry with Navy that had not been played for a decade or so. I knew the history of the series well and that it was essentially even going back to the first game between the programs in 1931. Despite this the mere fact that I even posted on their board as if UD belonged on the same field with their team was perceived as my being arrogant, etc. when in fact the bulk of the fans on their board were the ones with major attitude. The whole attitude comes down to a second class citizen label that is placed on any "lower" division program despite the true capabilities of the FCS team, or even the past game results. Such is the life of an FCS fan... Then again, it makes it all the more fun when your team wins.... :)

Za-KEE-uS
September 2nd, 2007, 11:35 PM
They really should take the time and explain it instead of saying "the FCS formally known as division 1-aa but they changed the name."xrolleyesx I think FCS doesnt sound as inferior as 1-aa to them

mistersykes
September 3rd, 2007, 12:04 AM
It's both. The ignorance causes the arrogance.

Sundown
September 3rd, 2007, 12:10 AM
I love ASU for beating Michigan. I really do. And you would think the FCS would garner some love from the talking heads at ESPN for what happened on Saturday (not to mention Nichols taking down Rice). However their "behavior" would suggest otherwise.

Maybe when some more FCS teams show up and take down a couple more FBS teams who overlook them and call them "cupcakes", attitudes will start to change.

But I won't hold my breath.

poly51
September 3rd, 2007, 12:53 AM
It's both. The ignorance causes the arrogance.

I think it is the arrogance that causes the ignorance. Either way it is both.

travelinman67
September 3rd, 2007, 01:06 AM
But they won't.

What???

...sportscasters DEMEANING a team not on "THEIR" FBS top 25 ranking...

SAY IT AIN'T SO...!!!

F#@K ESPN'S talking heads and all the other ignorant announcers...xmadx

APPY WHUPPED MICHIGAN, AND OTHER THAN OUR LORD JESUS OFFERING HIS OPINION....WHO CARES WHAT ANY OF THE TALKING HEADS SAY...xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

WAY TO GO APPY!!!!

Model Citizen
September 3rd, 2007, 01:09 AM

30 years and no one from this level had ever beaten a ranked I-A team. Why don't you just grow up?

ChooChoo
September 3rd, 2007, 01:39 AM
30 years and no one from this level had ever beaten a ranked I-A team. Why don't you just grow up?

Whoa, hold up.
Did you even READ what I wrote? It has nothing to do with them not picking ASU to beat Michigan. It's about sports journalists being clueless about the inner workings of the NCAA and college football. I blame none of them for not picking ASU to win. Absolutely not an issue with me nor did I ever indicate it. I find fault, however, in their inability to grasp the basic concepts of the classifications (voting ASU to 1-A?), accepting the loss for what it was (an ASU win), muffing the proper nomenclature (often on purpose), and most importantly, for not being enlightened enough to know or care.
Thanks for the being a model citizen and making a point out of nothing.
Do you work for ESPN? xrolleyesx

AmsterBison
September 3rd, 2007, 03:56 AM
I don't know if it is ignorance and/or arrogance, but it doesn't matter because the cure is the same: Take a bowl team, slap them around, and repeat as necessary.

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 06:54 AM
With all due respect to this post, there was at least one "talking head" who knew what just happened and gave ASU some respect. Coach Lou Holtz said the ASU win was not an upset and that the best team won. Of course, the other two goobers on ESPN at the time disagreed with him. To me, compliments from a wise, veteran coach who has coached various teams to the top of the FBS world are better than ignorant comments from some hacks whose only credentials are that they are former players, and have no idea about the FCS.

lambertjr
September 3rd, 2007, 07:45 AM
With all due respect to this post, there was at least one "talking head" who knew what just happened and gave ASU some respect. Coach Lou Holtz said the ASU win was not an upset and that the best team won. Of course, the other two goobers on ESPN at the time disagreed with him. To me, compliments from a wise, veteran coach who has coached various teams to the top of the FBS world are better than ignorant comments from some whose only credentials are that they are former players, and have no idea about the FCS.

Lou was the only one not taking anything away from ASU for it's victory (Mich. played bad,bad refs,the sun was in their eyes,etc.,etc.)
Musberger was the only other announcer who gave them their due.

Franks Tanks
September 3rd, 2007, 08:52 AM
But they won't.

Lou Holtz and Jim Donnan are basically the only ones on ESPN that know what they are talking about. They are former coaches, and both at the 1-AA level, so they know of the talent and respect the FCS. I do love Lee Corso however but not for his football knowledge, he is just funny

HaveFunKc
September 3rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
I don't know if it is ignorance and/or arrogance, but it doesn't matter because the cure is the same: Take a bowl team, slap them around, and repeat as necessary.

Now that's some of the best advise I've read all day! :D