PDA

View Full Version : SU Jag's week 1 review

SU Jag
September 2nd, 2007, 10:49 PM
Its been too long since we've had some college football and boy it sure started off with a bang. Lets talk about 10 of the top stories in FCS football from opening weekend.

1. App State over Michigan, yes I didnt beleive it until I saw it with my own two eyes but App State pulled it off, and no it was not a fluke. App State put it to Michigan for 4 quarters and they plain and simply out played Michigan.

2. Since App State beat Michigan, how much attention will ESPN and the major networks give FCS, only time will tell.

3. Nicholls over Rice. Yes another so-called "big timer" was beaten by a "AA" school. Congrats to Nicholls!

4. FCS teams losing to d-2 teams. Albany State over NCCU last weeks, Carson-Newman over Chattanooga, Delta State over Jackson State, Tarleton state over Stephen F Austin, Samford barely getting by West Alabama, and Sam Houston's narrow escape and lets not forget about Western Washington over UC Davis, yes the same UC Davis that beat Stanford!

5. The Portland State hype.........xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x McNeese brought them right back to reality.
6. Delaware RB 's record setting game! Wow! This guy knows how to run the football. I was very impressed with his running style, and the amount of yardage that he gains after contact.

7. ESPN can be a bad thing. A 2:00pm spelled doom for Southern and FAMU. Plans were to have the game be a 6:00 kickoff but ESPN couldn't sqeeze the game into their schedule so it kicked off at 2 in brutal weather. Still over 30,000 but crowds would have almost doubled if the game was pushed back til 6 or 7.

8. The SWAC takes 2 steps forward and one step backwards. Nice OCC wins against FAMU from the MEAC and Jacksonville State from the OVC but the Jackson State loss to Delta State left me speachless. WTF happened in Jackson, Ms?

9. UCA, yes UCA. Eventhough they lost on Saturday, keep in mind that 2 years ago this was a d-2 football team. A 28-7 loss is usually bad but UCA made the game a little bit too unconfortable for La Tech fans.

10. Barlow starts his coaching career with a win against Jacksonville State. Bama State is predicted to be one of the worst teams in the SWAC but Coach Barlow refuses to accept that. Its been well noted that ASU has struggled against in-state oppenents. They're 1-8 since 2002 against in-state schools(1-4 against Tuskegee) and (0-5 against Alabama A&M) but they got a big win over Jacksonville State on Saturday night. Maybe Barlow is just what Bama State needs.

Jiggs
September 3rd, 2007, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=SU Jag;635138] Samford barely getting by West Alabama,/QUOTE]

Samford was on the goal line its last few plays and could have easily scored to make the win "seem" a little more impressive, but Pat Sullivan is too classsy for that.