PDA

View Full Version : How does the App win over UM make our future opponents feel about playing us now?

ASU_Chad
September 2nd, 2007, 07:01 PM
If I were in the schedule of ANY team that beat Michigan it would make me nervous as hell. Any thoughts from any of the teams left on our schedule?

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2007, 07:04 PM
I assure you Furman is not scared of you. Big win, but you are still going to have to show up for the next 10 games. Michigan overlooked you, nobody else will.

bkrownd
September 2nd, 2007, 07:08 PM
Meh. Michigan is often a paper tiger.

rmutv
September 2nd, 2007, 07:12 PM
App. State should not expect anyone to roll over from here on out. Not only was there a target on the back of the Mountaineers' jerseys prior to the start of the season, but now that target is glowing multiple fluorescent colors and pulsing rapidly. You can't miss it, and everyone will try and take out App. State when they have a chance.

rjg129
September 2nd, 2007, 07:22 PM
App. State should not expect anyone to roll over from here on out. Not only was there a target on the back of the Mountaineers' jerseys prior to the start of the season, but now that target is glowing multiple fluorescent colors and pulsing rapidly. You can't miss it, and everyone will try and take out App. State when they have a chance.

My thoughts exactly

I think you could see that target from the space station now

AppStateSVX
September 2nd, 2007, 07:58 PM

yes. if anything. beating Michigan has made the game against us even greater for the other teams, they will be prepping / looking forward to it all year

HaveFunKc
September 2nd, 2007, 11:52 PM
Agreed... "A" games just became "A++" games...

BULLDOG8180
September 2nd, 2007, 11:58 PM
I played for The Citadel. But, I am a huge Armanti Edwards fan, he is from my home town of Greenwood SC. I pull for Armanti and App. State every game they play- except one.

Apps victory over Michigan will make it that much sweeter, when the Dogs beat ASU in Charleston on November 3rd.xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

SirApp
September 3rd, 2007, 01:59 AM

Said very well. We must be focused for every single week because that target just grew 5 times larger.

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 07:09 AM

I agree. And, I would not have it any other way. There will be some great football this season. The championship of the SoCon goes through South Carolina this year. Our biggest challenges will be at Furman, Wofford, and The Citadel.

blueballs
September 3rd, 2007, 07:11 AM
I can't speculate on the rest of the conference, but you just KNOW Furman and GSU are licking their chops...

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2007, 09:03 AM
ASU has been nearly as futile in Greenville as Furman has been in Boone. Only one win in the Dungeon the past 10 years. I guarantee the Paladins won't give a hoot who ya beat.

Jag4Life
September 3rd, 2007, 09:18 AM
LOL MICHIGAN DUMB AZZ TOOK YA'LL LIGHTLY AND THAT LOST SERVED THEM RIGHT. CONGRATS APPY.

ngineer
September 3rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
People will line up to play...To be the best , you have to beat the best. Plus, considering how much we like to play the "who's #1 in the country game" by comparing who beat who, who beat so & so..beating ASU will likely be able to lay claim to some heady company. I suspect Michigan will bounce back and knock off some highly ranked team this year, so by beating ASU, who beat Michigan, who beat_________, "We're #1"....

People will be spending extra time scheming up ways to stop the Mountaineers, and with enough time and savvy, it can always happen. Back in 2000 when Lehigh was to face Western Illinois (then ranked #4 or 5) in the playoffs at WIU no one gave us a chance. In fact, even Higgins upon looking at initial films of Western said he was 'scared' of what could happen because of all their talent--they had several NFL prospects. Yet, after studying film, tendencies, and planning to strengths, a game plan was put into place that resulted in that year's shocker. With most predicting a WIU walkover by 3-4 touchdowns, Lehigh stunned the Leathernecks, 37-7. The Lehigh players related that before the game WIU was all trash talk, with "what the heck is a Lehigh?" mentality...Don't take your opponent seriously; this is what happens.

Everyone should be sky high for ASU..The Mountaineers have rightly earned the "bullseye"...xnodx

terrierbob
September 3rd, 2007, 09:46 AM
I'm sure the game will be even more the "big one" than pre-Michigan. I wonder how many of ASU's opponents will give up 32 points?

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
I assure you Furman is not scared of you. Big win, but you are still going to have to show up for the next 10 games. Michigan overlooked you, nobody else will.

PaladinFan:

I think ASU Chad, or whoever started this thread, used the word "nervous", not "scared." I would not expect Furman, or anyone else in the SoCon, to be scared of ASU this season. However, if you are not willing to admit to being just a tad nervous, then you are not thinking. Any question remaining about whether ASU has a darn good football team just got answered up in the Big House.

IMHO, I believe the SoCon will be decided somewhere in South Carolina this year.

Further, I don't buy the idea that Michigan overlooked ASU. They had a difficult time with our speed & spread, no huddle offense. Simply put, you just cannot coach speed. But, I also agree that we will get everyone's "A+" game. Makes for great football. Bring it on.

srgrizizen
September 3rd, 2007, 11:56 AM
I think it makes ASU's future opponents feel like underdogs, if they have any sense. But otherwise, I agree with everyone else -- good teams will welcome the shot. Personally, I would now rather beat the team that beat Michigan than beat a team like Michigan -- if only because Montana will only be playing ASU for the NC. For now though, ASU is the undisputed King of FCS football and has earned the right to crow, brag and smack all they want. To their credit, ASU fans are being amazingly modest and subdued so far. What a class outfit!

phillyAPP
September 3rd, 2007, 12:09 PM
I think it makes ASU's future opponents feel like underdogs, if they have any sense. But otherwise, I agree with everyone else -- good teams will welcome the shot. Personally, I would now rather beat the team that beat Michigan than beat a team like Michigan -- if only because Montana will only be playing ASU for the NC. For now though, ASU is the undisputed King of FCS football and has earned the right to crow, brag and smack all they want. To their credit, ASU fans are being amazingly modest and subdued so far. What a class outfit!

We are to TIRED to brag, but I hope there is no APP smack.

App needs to just win one game at a time and enjoy the ride.

We don't need to defend ourselves. We have heard all the people tell us we can't do this or beat that team.

Just keep winning and someday we can look back and say what a ride.

Thanks for ALL the FCS support and I know you'all want a piece of us.xthumbsupx

Laserlips
September 3rd, 2007, 03:02 PM
Let me put it to you this way..

A. As a GSU fan I'm tickled pink APP put a whipping on Michigan... The win makes the SOCON look good, and I'm proud of 'em for doing it! xbowx

Nobody, (except perhaps the App faithful) thought APP had a prayer of winning, right?

B. Now, IF (and it's a big IF) someone else on the schedule (say perhaps GSU) actually whipped App how good would that be?

C. GSU played APP into double overtime last season before losing under the damaged leadership of "BVGTHEIDIOT". If you don't think those same players are thinking they "have a chance" this year, under a REAL Head Coach you are fooling yourself.

D. So, nobody thinks our Eagles should be on the same field with the team that beat Michigan this past weekend, right? Good.. Michigan thought the same thing about APP State until it was too late.

I'm not saying our Eagles WILL beat Applachian State in Boone this year. We always have a hard time there, and common sense would say in this year of transition we have an even less chance of pulling off the upset..

But stranger things have happened.. Recently..xwhistlex

Best Wishes from an obvious GSU homer.

J. Pomeroy

P.S. I'm lobbying to get the game played in the parking lot this year. That darn stadium in Boone doesn't like our Eagles. xrolleyesx

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 03:37 PM

Modest and subdued? OK. Thanks, I think.

As I said on another thread, the Michigan fans could teach all SoCon team's fans (including App fans) how to behave like a class act showing good sportsmanship, even after an unexpected loss. That was my personal experience up there.

I guess all teams have their fans who misbehave from time to time. Some more than others. But, I do think that the ASU coaching staff and the players are a class act from top to bottom.

I think they have realized the maxim, "to whom much is given, much is expected."

And, for the record, the Griz fans I met in Chatty last year were fine folks too. I know you want to meet ASU in Chatty this year, and that's fine with me. But, what I would prefer is to welcome the Griz to Boone sometime after Thanksgiving! We have lots of football left to play first though.

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
P.S. I'm lobbying to get the game played in the parking lot this year. That darn stadium in Boone doesn't like our Eagles. xrolleyesx

J. Pom:
If you are in Boone in time to tailgate before the game, PM me & I would be honored to buy you a beer. Lots of time before then, but I'll be there.

Laserlips
September 3rd, 2007, 03:52 PM
J. Pom:
If you are in Boone in time to tailgate before the game, PM me & I would be honored to buy you a beer. Lots of time before then, but I'll be there.

Thanks for the offer, but this old senior citizen will be kicked back (hopefully) watching the game on TV.

If the game isn't on TV I'll be in my recliner listening to the radio "picturing the action" :D

Again, Congratulations to the APP State team in particular, and the App fans in general on a SUPER win!

I hope just a tiny bit of the glory App State is getting (deservedly) might rub off on the whole SOCON conference. It was great seeing the "SOCON" on the front of the App State players uniforms Saturday.xthumbsupx

On the serious side we of the GSU faithful have absolutely no clue as to how our Eagles will perform this season.. I do know that we have a fantastic new Head Coach in Chris Hatcher and if we have any talent he'll find it, "fine tune it", and point it in the right direction.

Thanks!

J. Pomeroy

LehighFan11
September 3rd, 2007, 05:42 PM
App St will run the table and win the national championship unless they underprepare for a game like Michigan did. Even if Furman and GSU and whoever they play in the playoffs bring their A game it wont beat App St. App St's offense would have to overlook their oppents and play sloppy football. Its up to App St if they want to run the table beacuse they are that talented.

AZGrizFan
September 3rd, 2007, 06:15 PM

Exactly. And no one ever will again. You got your one shot and you made the best of it. Don't let it go to your head. xeyebrowx xcoolx

SoCon48
September 3rd, 2007, 08:42 PM
I'm sure the game will be even more the "big one" than pre-Michigan. I wonder how many of ASU's opponents will give up 32 points?

Just guessing, I'd say Wofford, Citadel, Chatt, Elon, NAU, L-R, G-W, and maybe WCU.xcoffeex

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the offer, but this old senior citizen will be kicked back (hopefully) watching the game on TV.

If the game isn't on TV I'll be in my recliner listening to the radio "picturing the action" :D

Again, Congratulations to the APP State team in particular, and the App fans in general on a SUPER win!

I hope just a tiny bit of the glory App State is getting (deservedly) might rub off on the whole SOCON conference. It was great seeing the "SOCON" on the front of the App State players uniforms Saturday.xthumbsupx

On the serious side we of the GSU faithful have absolutely no clue as to how our Eagles will perform this season.. I do know that we have a fantastic new Head Coach in Chris Hatcher and if we have any talent he'll find it, "fine tune it", and point it in the right direction.

Thanks!

J. Pomeroy

What? And miss the game in person? Aw, man.

But you're right about the SoCon patches. Obviously, I could not see them from the 90th row, even with binoculars, but they showed up on TV.

And, good luck to GaSo. I hope you (and the GaSo alums) give Coach Hatcher enough patience to be able to lose a game or two (and probably more than that in his first season) without screaming for his head on a platter. He'll need some time to build his program his way. But, it sounds like he's off to a good start.

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 08:52 PM
Just guessing, I'd say Wofford, Citadel, Chatt, Elon, NAU, L-R, G-W, and maybe WCU.xcoffeex

Not Furman or GaSo? Just asking.

Eyes of Old Main
September 3rd, 2007, 08:57 PM

No way. At least a couple teams in the SoCon will give up less than 32 to the Mountaineers, and mega-upset or not, I stand by my preseason prediction that Appalachian will take a loss to someone in conference play.

Eyes of Old Main
September 3rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
If I were in the schedule of ANY team that beat Michigan it would make me nervous as hell. Any thoughts from any of the teams left on our schedule?

Terriers fear no man. Not even Yosef.

Eagle22
September 3rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
Not Furman or GaSo? Just asking.

Probably a safe call on the part of GSU. ASU has only scored more than 31 points against GSU twice in the 22 times they have met ... a 59-0 thrashing in 1939, and a 35-28 victory in 1996.

GaSouthern
September 3rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
GSU is not scared of anyone, I think Appy has a HUGE target on their back, we all want to be the first team to beat the team that beat fcs' "female dog"

I'd love to watch us end their home winning streak and give them their first L this year. Very real chance we will be both undefeated when we meet this season!

Pard4Life
September 3rd, 2007, 09:22 PM
Knowing Lafayette nearly beat them in 2005, if we were to play ASU, the Pards would probably need numerous chains to hold back their tenacity before kickoff. And that is probably how everyone is going to go into Boone this year...

I would NOT be shocked to see ASU lose a game.

The GOOD part of all this is perhaps more ESPN coverage of FCS football.

Mountaineer
September 3rd, 2007, 09:38 PM
Of course there's a strong possibility of losing a game. However, I think it'd take place on the road. Fuman, Wofford and El Cid are going to be tough places to play this Fall.

I don't see a loss at home this year. Not with 27 in a row (and counting) on the line. xthumbsupx

walliver
September 4th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I don't think the Michigan game result will have much effect on this years opponents. 7 of ASU's 10 remaining games are against teams that played them last year, and the year before, etc. Wofford, Furman, GSU and the Citadel did not get together over the weekend and decide to fight it out for second place. I don't think these teams are any more (or less) motivated to beat Appalachian than they were last week this time. (Of course, we all feel obligated to win our BCS games now.)

JMU99
September 4th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Well, I am as "Anti-App" as anyone, but I have to give it up to them.

Michigan did not overlook them, App. just played a tremendous game.

Sure, they are not invincible; that isnt possible in sports. However, my honest opinion is that they clearly own the FCS and everyone else is playing for second place this year.

For all those talking of other teams being "scared," or not being "scared;" please understand that we are talking about 18, 19, 20 year old kids. Every last one of them watched in awe of what App pulled off this weekend and I would fully expect that many would carry that same sense of awe onto the field when they go against App.

Congrats App., at least as this year is concerned, the rest of FCS are your bit**es.

Here's hoping JMU will give you a game next fall!

B&G
September 4th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I must've interpreted the topic starter's post differently. I was thinking the question at hand is how will future BCS opponents feel about scheduling us. I know we've already got a few games on the docket... will those be bought out?

Seven Would Be Nice
September 4th, 2007, 05:03 PM
They will not overlook them, thats for sure!
They overlooked App as much as FCS teams overlook DII teams.

matfu
September 4th, 2007, 05:58 PM
there is always some luck involved in games...a bounce here or there, ingle martin slipping on the ice when he had a sure TD in 2005. so, yes app state is awesome this year, but furman is overdue for a break against them. we are certainly not afraid.