PDA

View Full Version : The lines have blurred!

Neckfansince71
September 2nd, 2007, 09:04 AM
I think alot of us have noticed that since the change in scholarships a number of years ago, the once called have nots have slowly been moving up on the so called haves. The APP victory over Michigan is a great accomplishment and for most totally unexpected. But haven't we seen teams in the FCS stay with team in the FBS alot longer than before? How many times has the Southern Conference or CAA beaten up on the Sunbelt, or the Gateway beaten up on the Mid American Conference. Or New Hampshire beating Northwestern to begin the season last year. Yes I am shocked that it happened, but APP St. is the class of the FCS, talented and most of all they brought confidence and the feeling of "why not" to the field. That makes them extremely dangerous. Just one mistake fixed by Michigan and they go home without the victory and still $400,000 richer with, "we almost pulled it out!" But is didn't happen this time, and from here on out the FCS mantra should be, hang close and anything can and will happen. Back in 2003 Western Illinois trailed LSU in the third quarter 14-7. I couldn't believe my ears. An interception and touchdown later the score stood 21-7 and it was over but still, the Necks hung in there for a long time. And that was after they went to Eastern Michigan and beat them 34-12. Of course, the snow at Colgate derailed their season in the quarter finals but they really should have been playing opposite Delaware in the championship game. Oh well!!

This is of course a quantum leap from "oh you play football too" to "you can play football!" But the lines have slowly blurred! How about ISU and Drake? How did that happen? Should it have happened? No, but thats how close things have become.

jc

ps. To those of you who still doubt the Leathernecks, confidence is a dangerous thing. Just ask the Wolverines! A four overtime victory over a well respected South Dakota State team, a qb who can run like a rabbit along with an excellent tailback, and a defense that has finally jelled. Not to mention a new attitude and new facility. xnonox Can they beat Illinois? I am not sure! Can they play with Illinois, without a doubt! And now Pandora's Box has been opened and every FBS school and FCS school knows it!!! Congratualations APP State!!!!!!xbowx