PDA

View Full Version : Where does App win rank among upsets?

JohnStOnge
September 2nd, 2007, 08:36 AM
http://sports.aol.com/story/ar/_a/i-aa-champs-shock-michigan-in-big-house/20070901160209990001

There's a poll near the bottom of the article.

I voted App's win #1 among the choices, of course. Boise State's win over OU shouldn't even be on the menu. The Broncos were the higher ranked team in both major polls going into the game. I think they were also ranked higher in most power rating systems and were maybe a 10 point underdog by the line.

App was, by Sagarin, a 25 point underdog. Actually, my guess is that when it comes to point spread type things there have been bigger upsets. Anybody know what any lines were?

Anyway, certainly a bigger upset than the Boise State thing. Upsets by underdogs by around 10 are not uncommon at all.

EmeryZach
September 2nd, 2007, 08:40 AM
I know on Bodog they didn't even have a line for the game. That's how crazy this is.

89Hen
September 2nd, 2007, 08:40 AM
Biggest upset in CF simply because it's never happened before.

RabidRabbit
September 2nd, 2007, 08:45 AM
If Michigan comes back, and is a major bowl team this year, then this is a huge upset. If they either make a minor bowl, or don't qualify, then this was an overrated Michigan team.

CONGRATS APP ST., THIS WAS A SUPER WIN FOR APP ST, and by extension all of FCS.
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
September 2nd, 2007, 08:57 AM
If Michigan comes back, and is a major bowl team this year, then this is a huge upset. If they either make a minor bowl, or don't qualify, then this was an overrated Michigan team.

CONGRATS APP ST., THIS WAS A SUPER WIN FOR APP ST, and by extension all of FCS.
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Very true. It'll be interesting to see how the do against Oregon next week. The Ducks had a solid win on the scoreboard but gave up over 500 yards to Houston yesterday.

lambertjr
September 2nd, 2007, 08:58 AM
It was the biggest.
Michigan was #5 and ASU was supposed to be a tune-up game. It doesn't matter that they're Champions of the FCS.
Michigan was going to walk to a 30+ win and get some playing time for the back-ups and instead they got dropped on their foreheads.

BlueHen86
September 2nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
It's hard for me to gage how big an upset this is. If Mich finishes the season at 3 - 8 then this game may not be a big upset at all. I do think that this is the greatest win ever for a I-AA/FCS school just because of the press the game and App St have received.

As far as upsets go; I remember about 8 or 9 years ago winless Temple beating undefeated Virginia Tech in Blacksburg. Temple was at least a 21 point underdog and fell behing 17 - 0 before coming back.

JMU1992
September 2nd, 2007, 09:50 AM
I still think the Temple win over Va. Tech is a bigger upset

Mountain Panther
September 2nd, 2007, 09:52 AM
Joke poll.....college bball upsets can't compare to football.

CSUBUCDAD
September 2nd, 2007, 09:54 AM
I am surprised that I have yet to hear one sports analyst, save Lou Holtz give App any credit at all for being a good ball club. My opinion is that App is one of the top 10 teams in the country in ANY division and yesterday just proves it.

Gil Dobie
September 2nd, 2007, 09:57 AM
I expected App St to win, so it's not an upset to me. Not taking anything away from the win, but that's me thinking App St was that good going into the game. Combined with how good of a game Ball St gave Michigan last year. App St is better than Ball St, hence the win.

It is however the 1st and only FCS win over a ranked FBS school, and a game that will be remembered for a long time.

EmeryZach
September 2nd, 2007, 10:00 AM
Just wait for the movie to come out, a la "Miracle"

Cocky
September 2nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
After watching the game, there was no upset. The best team won and would win again if played today. App played terrible in the 2nd half and try to give the game away. Moore made several coaching errors, but the best team won as in most cases.

Russ B
September 2nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
I-AA historians: how good was Citadel when they beat Arkansas in 1982?

Eyes of Old Main
September 2nd, 2007, 02:21 PM

1992. And they were pretty good. They won the SoCon that year and made their only playoff appearance.

89Hen
September 2nd, 2007, 02:26 PM
If they either make a minor bowl, or don't qualify, then this was an overrated Michigan team....

If Mich finishes the season at 3 - 8 then this game may not be a big upset at all...
Could be that this loss puts Michigan in a bad place and is the catalyst for a bad season. xeyebrowx xpeacex

CID1990
September 2nd, 2007, 02:34 PM

It was 1992. The Citadel, in my opinion, was not nearly as good as this App State team. The gap between The Citadel and Arkansas was probably similar to the gap between ASU and UM, though.

Arkansas was not ranked in the AP top 20, but they were 24th in the SI poll.

The rest of the 1992 season saw Arkansas go about .500, I think, maybe a little under .500. It didn't help them that the game was played on Saturday, and they fired their coach on Sunday.

The Citadel went on to win the SoCon that year, with one loss to Marshall. They finished the regular season ranked #1. They beat NC A&T in the first round of the playoffs, and then lost to Youngstown State in the second round.

In a four year stretch ending in 1992, El Cid beat Navy twice, Army twice, South Carolina and Arkansas. We were 6-1 vs. I-A opponents during that stretch (We lost to Air Force 10-7 in 1991, I think it was).

Some of the sports writers have said that before yesterday, the Arkansas win was the biggest upset. The App State win yesterday trumps that by a long shot. In fact, it trumps all six of those wins taken together.

I thought it was funny how the ESPN poll does not list the Arkansas-The Citadel upset as one of the choices. Heck, even the win over USC wasn't up there.

I don't think that there will be much argument that App State's win is by far the biggest.

CID1990
September 2nd, 2007, 02:36 PM
1992. And they were pretty good. They won the SoCon that year and made their only playoff appearance.

That was our 3rd or 4th appearance. We had a habit of going to the playoffs a couple times in the 80's, and we kept drawing GSU in the first round.

CID1990
September 2nd, 2007, 02:37 PM
The best thing about this win is that it could give strength to those people who are agitating for a playoff system in FBS. Under the current system, the is no redemption for UM. Their season is over in terms of the NC hunt. If they had a playoff, UM could redeem themselves and feasibly still win a NC.

DuckDuckGriz
September 2nd, 2007, 03:22 PM
This is the biggest upset ever. Bigger than Idaho State upsetting UCLA in basketball in 1975.

YSUPEN
September 2nd, 2007, 04:30 PM
Appy St was originally 23-1/2 and ended around 26-1/2.

poly51
September 2nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
This is the biggest upset. This was Michigan and a #5 Michigan at that.

It would be like a top 5 FCS school losing to a D-II team.

bkrownd
September 2nd, 2007, 06:52 PM
I was not THAT surprised. Not a great upset, really. Appy is not an inept cellar-dweller team. Idaho beating USC or Nevada beating Nebraska would have been far bigger upsets. (Idaho or Nevada beating Appy would be an upset, for that matter) Appy has more experienced on the field than any of them.

bkrownd
September 2nd, 2007, 06:55 PM
The best thing about this win is that it could give strength to those people who are agitating for a playoff system in FBS. Under the current system, the is no redemption for UM. Their season is over in terms of the NC hunt. If they had a playoff, UM could redeem themselves and feasibly still win a NC.

That's why don't like the playoff idea. The regular season should BE the playoff, not some little tournament at the end. A real champion is the one who put in the effort every single weekend, all year long. If you want a "playoff", have a round-robin between the 2, 3, or 4 top conference champions at the end.

bkrownd
September 2nd, 2007, 06:56 PM

Geee...hope Appy didn't schedule Chadron for next weekend. :D

skinny_uncle
September 2nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
There were probably a few of these prior to division play. The one I remember was SIU vs. Tulsa in 1967 (yes, I'm an old goat). Tulsa showed up in Carbondale with a top ten ranking and leading the nation in scoring (46 pts/game). The Salukis were 1-6 when they showed up. When the dust cleared, the Salukis had won 16-13. One sportswriter compared it to Slippery Rock beating the Green Bay Packers. I think that it is a win at least comparable to what happened yesterday.

poly51
September 2nd, 2007, 07:20 PM
http://sports.aol.com/story/ar/_a/i-aa-champs-shock-michigan-in-big-house/20070901160209990001

There's a poll near the bottom of the article.

I voted App's win #1 among the choices, of course. Boise State's win over OU shouldn't even be on the menu. The Broncos were the higher ranked team in both major polls going into the game. I think they were also ranked higher in most power rating systems and were maybe a 10 point underdog by the line.

App was, by Sagarin, a 25 point underdog. Actually, my guess is that when it comes to point spread type things there have been bigger upsets. Anybody know what any lines were?

Anyway, certainly a bigger upset than the Boise State thing. Upsets by underdogs by around 10 are not uncommon at all.

I know some of you have seen this from me before:

1980 D-II National Champion Cal Poly over 1980 I-AA National Champion Boise State 23-20 November 18, 1980.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 2nd, 2007, 07:32 PM
I think my Temple Owls beating Virginia Tech in Blacksburg in 1998 was the bigger upset. We were a far worse team than App State is this year and Virginia Tech was atleast just as good as Michigan.

There has been far bigger upsets than what happened last year. People are looking at the classification way to much and not the talent on either teams.

There as been far bigger upsets over #1 ranked teams.

elkmcc
September 2nd, 2007, 07:41 PM
I expected App St to win, so it's not an upset to me. Not taking anything away from the win, but that's me thinking App St was that good going into the game. Combined with how good of a game Ball St gave Michigan last year. App St is better than Ball St, hence the win.

It is however the 1st and only FCS win over a ranked FBS school, and a game that will be remembered for a long time.

Oh boy I can hear it now. NDSU is better than App St. because they beat Ball St. I'd worry about your conference.
You are starting off 0-4 there boy.

RobsPics
September 2nd, 2007, 07:46 PM
ASU's win over UM is the biggest upset for the simple reason that the vast vast majority of College football fans know little or nothing about ASU.

Yes ASU has great athletics and are very talented.

But only astute fans of I-AA/FCS know that. The rest of college football fans know nothing or verly litle about ASU and I-AA/FCS. No body gave ASU a chance to even be competitive (except for literally a handful of people). That's why, ASU's win over UM is the biggest upset ever.

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2007, 08:25 PM
I think my Temple Owls beating Virginia Tech in Blacksburg in 1998 was the bigger upset. We were a far worse team than App State is this year and Virginia Tech was atleast just as good as Michigan.

There has been far bigger upsets than what happened last year. People are looking at the classification way to much and not the talent on either teams.

There as been far bigger upsets over #1 ranked teams.

Point well taken. That was a monumental win by Temple.

JohnStOnge
September 2nd, 2007, 08:32 PM
This is the biggest upset. This was Michigan and a #5 Michigan at that.

That's happened. As recently as 2003 a team that went on to the I-AA semifinals (Florida Atlantic) was crushed 45-17 by a D-II (Valdosta State). Also, as you noted, Boise State was beaten by a D-II (Cal Poly!) during a year (1980) when the Broncos went on to win the I-AA national title.

This is actually a much bigger upset than a top D-II beating a top I-AA/FCS. Much rarer.

I doubt that it's the biggest upset ever as far as beating point spreads go, though. I know there was no Vegas line on this one but you can get an idea by the power ratings and our YSU friend provided some. There have probably been a handful of instances in which bigger underdogs won.

bkrownd
September 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
ASU's win over UM is the biggest upset for the simple reason that the vast vast majority of College football fans know little or nothing about ASU.

"fans", you mean. aka, meatheads.

McNeese_beat
September 3rd, 2007, 06:13 PM
It listing past great upsets, everybody seems to be forgetting Northwestern State's 27-24 overtime win over TCU in 2001. That TCU team wound up in the GalleryFurniture.com bowl (they lost).

Here's the question: Prior to Michigan, Was that TCU team the best to lose to a I-AA/FCS since the creation of the division in 1978?

AZGrizFan
September 3rd, 2007, 06:27 PM
I am surprised that I have yet to hear one sports analyst, save Lou Holtz give App any credit at all for being a good ball club. My opinion is that App is one of the top 10 teams in the country in ANY division and yesterday just proves it.

Shirley, you can't be serious? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xlolx xlolx xlolx

In ANY division? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

AZGrizFan
September 3rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
That's happened. As recently as 2003 a team that went on to the I-AA semifinals (Florida Atlantic) was crushed 45-17 by a D-II (Valdosta State). Also, as you noted, Boise State was beaten by a D-II (Cal Poly!) during a year (1980) when the Broncos went on to win the I-AA national title.

This is actually a much bigger upset than a top D-II beating a top I-AA/FCS. Much rarer.

I doubt that it's the biggest upset ever as far as beating point spreads go, though. I know there was no Vegas line on this one but you can get an idea by the power ratings and our YSU friend provided some. There have probably been a handful of instances in which bigger underdogs won.

WHat was Montana ranked when UND came to Missoula and won? xconfusedx

Ronbo
September 3rd, 2007, 06:42 PM
Maybe not the greatest sports upset. But ESPN has annoited it "The Greatest Upset In Football History". Enough said.

BlueHen86
September 3rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Maybe not the greatest sports upset. But ESPN has annoited it "The Greatest Upset In Football History". Enough said.
That makes it official.

If the network that brought us "Whos' now?" says so, it must be true.xlolx