PDA

View Full Version : What is App game actually worth?

mountain man
September 2nd, 2007, 07:55 AM
We all know that App is taking home $400k and a W.

What is the game actually worth when you add up all the intangibles? The merchandies sales and ticket sales for both the home and away games are going through the roof. Then you have the countless television exposure for both FCS and the university. I'm sure alumni donations and local support will also continue to go up.

All this may add up to be worth $5 million or more by the time all is said and done and you add up the indirect benefits.

Quote of the day on ESPN by an App student, "I go to the greatest school in the world!"

jhbeagle
September 2nd, 2007, 08:16 AM
Alot! Lynch will be on the ESPY awards this coming year which will bring even more to App. State! He will probably win an espy.

mountain man
September 2nd, 2007, 08:25 AM
Alot! Lynch will be on the ESPY awards this coming year which will bring even more to App. State! He will probably win an espy.

If App gets an ESPY then that doubles the tv exposure.

Jerbearasu
September 2nd, 2007, 08:29 AM
If App gets an ESPY then that doubles the tv exposure.

I'd say in the past 24 hours App has already doubled it's all-time national tv exposure.

jhbeagle
September 2nd, 2007, 08:30 AM
They have to be nominated for the greatest game of the year. Which Boise State won last year. You are getting paid $400,000 to have chance for major exposure. I'm talking major exposure. People will be talking about the game for a long time just as all of us do about the BC vs. Miami Flutie) and Okla. vs. Boise. App. State will not only be talked about this year but for many years to come.

EmeryZach
September 2nd, 2007, 08:49 AM
Honestly, this puts even more pressure on this team to win the championship. I mean at this point if they don't go undefeated and win the championship people are going to see this season as a failure. Plus, within a month not one FBS show on ESPN or any channel will be talking about App State until maybe the playoffs.

mountain man
September 2nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
Honestly, this puts even more pressure on this team to win the championship. I mean at this point if they don't go undefeated and win the championship people are going to see this season as a failure. Plus, within a month not one FBS show on ESPN or any channel will be talking about App State until maybe the playoffs.

I think it may be brought up once or twice when new high school recruits come to Boone to check out the university and program.

chantster
September 2nd, 2007, 10:02 AM
Man, this is gonna be an easy sell to a potential recruit that's looking at a lower tier FBS school or ASU.

All the ASU recruiter has to do is pop in the ASU-Michigan Highlight DVD, sit back, and then hold out a pen for the recruit to sign on the dotted line.

psc2445
September 2nd, 2007, 10:57 AM
I'd say in the past 24 hours App has already doubled it's all-time national tv exposure.

WITHOUT A DOUBT. this publicity has been incredible. on espn alone this morning's programming has included atleast 30 minutes about ASU. I particularly enjoyed the discussion on the sports reporters segment. I was at the game and it still kind of surreal:D

ngineer
September 2nd, 2007, 10:59 AM
It certainly gets ASU a lot of exposure and interest...but I think too many people get caught up in the emotion of the moment. When a recruit decides on his school, I would hope it's more than because of one game. There have been many 'big games' in football over the years, but to think that a recruit will make a decision based on one game is very naive. There could also be the reverse effect of what 'big time' schools face--not enought opportunity to play, resulting in looking elsewhere. No doubt ASU will benefit tremendously from the new interest--all schools that experience recent athletic success that gets on TV, i.e. Rutgers in football, Bucknell in basketball, experience a bump in overall applications and alumni donations. This was great day for the 'little guys' in the college football world.

psc2445
September 2nd, 2007, 11:01 AM
just finished bridesmaid as #2 on plays of the week behind the Boston rookie's nono. personally i believe we got hosed.

appheel
September 2nd, 2007, 11:04 AM
I don't know. The kid threw a no-no in his second MLB start. That's huge. I'm not too upset about coming in 2nd to that.

mainejeff
September 2nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
App State is definitely benefiting in the multi-millions range. Honestly, I hope that App State is in the National Championship game again (playing a CAA team of course ;)). It would benefit the FCS greatly, and could create the highest rated NC Game of all time.

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
App State is definitely benefiting in the multi-millions range. Honestly, I hope that App State is in the National Championship game again (playing a CAA team of course ;)). It would benefit the FCS greatly, and could create the highest rated NC Game of all time.

Maybe

For starters, Michigan would have to avoid tanking this season. If I'm an App fan, Michigan becomes my #2 team for the rest of the year. If they start to stumble along, this is just a knockdown of an overrated Michigan team. No one will notice and no one will care xtwocentsx

If the Wolverines still run the table in the Big 10 and find themselves in the Rose Bowl, or even go 10-1 the rest of the way, AND ESPN decides to actually make note of the Championship game, then it could be a bonanza for ratings (at least as far as we would consider it a bonanza). It would certainly out-do a few lower-tier bowls.

Outside of that, App will see a temporary spike in merchandise sales, mostly courtesy of other Big 10 fans. Applications and alumni donations will spike, no question. Ticket sales? Weren't all your home games sold-out anyway? If you're talking about road games, ASU won't see a dime of that money.

mainejeff
September 2nd, 2007, 12:23 PM
Maybe

For starters, Michigan would have to avoid tanking this season. If I'm an App fan, Michigan becomes my #2 team for the rest of the year. If they start to stumble along, this is just a knockdown of an overrated Michigan team. No one will notice and no one will care xtwocentsx

If the Wolverines still run the table in the Big 10 and find themselves in the Rose Bowl, or even go 10-1 the rest of the way, AND ESPN decides to actually make note of the Championship game, then it could be a bonanza for ratings (at least as far as we would consider it a bonanza). It would certainly out-do a few lower-tier bowls.

Outside of that, App will see a temporary spike in merchandise sales, mostly courtesy of other Big 10 fans. Applications and alumni donations will spike, no question. Ticket sales? Weren't all your home games sold-out anyway? If you're talking about road games, ASU won't see a dime of that money.

What a wet blanket. xcoolx Notice I said COULD.

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2007, 12:27 PM
What a wet blanket. xcoolx Notice I said COULD.

Of course. I still happen to think Michigan is a pretty good team, and will do lots of damage in the Big 10. The conference title is within their reach, and the Rose Bowl to go with it. I'm still an optimist about the whole thing, and am without a doubt rooting for a similar scenario.

Go FCS and now Go Michigan! xnodx xpeacex

Retro
September 2nd, 2007, 12:40 PM
Well, Besides the obvious, this will change the way some media and so-called football writers and analysts look at the playoff division...

There will be people like Mark May who dismiss it by saying Michigan should never play a Playoff division team, but why is that? Is it any more accepting that Michigan get beat by indiana or ul-monroe, both of which rank below app in all of Div I?

This game is the talk of college football all levels all day long saturday and saturday night and as long as michigan doesn't go 1 -10, the victory will be respected and acknowledged like it should a good D-I team beating another D-I team regardless of the fact that one has 20 less scholarships and a lot less money and only plays in front of a normal crowd about 1/5 the size...

The downside is that many Bowl Division teams will likely stop scheduling Playoff Division teams because of this, unless it's desperation or they know it's a lower tier Playoff Division team, of course Rice probably thought too.

pete4256
September 2nd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Well, Besides the obvious, this will change the way some media and so-called football writers and analysts look at the playoff division...

There will be people like Mark May who dismiss it by saying Michigan should never play a Playoff division team, but why is that? Is it any more accepting that Michigan get beat by indiana or ul-monroe, both of which rank below app in all of Div I?

This game is the talk of college football all levels all day long saturday and saturday night and as long as michigan doesn't go 1 -10, the victory will be respected and acknowledged like it should a good D-I team beating another D-I team regardless of the fact that one has 20 less scholarships and a lot less money and only plays in front of a normal crowd about 1/5 the size...

The downside is that many Bowl Division teams will likely stop scheduling Playoff Division teams because of this, unless it's desperation or they know it's a lower tier Playoff Division team, of course Rice probably thought too.

It seems at this point to be bringing to the surface all of the buried attitudes that people held. It's completely irresponsible for the talking heads to spin this the way most of them have.

Old Cage
September 2nd, 2007, 12:58 PM
Here's a slant on what the win is worth: last year UMass won its first Nobel Prize and played in the I-AA championship game. The president of the university system (not just UMass-Amherst) said that the two run a close one and two financially for the five campus system. The Nobel is short term more quantifiable, and has brought in maybe $40 million in new medical research grants.

Eyes of Old Main
September 2nd, 2007, 02:16 PM
I agree that this has an will mean lots to both Appalachian and FCS. It'll help the Mountaineers more than anyone, as it should. They'll cash in on merchandise, memorabilia, more student applications, and better recruiting for some time to come, especially if they run the table the rest of the way. If they lose a couple games here or there, then it will end up more like it was their day instead of them being the better team (which I believe they were).

I also agree that we all want Michigan to win the Big Ten and go to and win the Rose Bowl. What if everything went right and they won the BCS Championship and you had a national champion with a loss to a FCS team?