PDA

View Full Version : General College Football Knowledge: FCS Fans vs. FBS Fans

No_Skill
September 1st, 2007, 10:53 PM
With the going's on today I've been lurking on a few Big Ten boards and I'm shocked at the lack of knowledge by most of the fans.

Asking questions like "How many D-1 players does ASU have?" or "ASU won because they have many transfers from big time schools who couldn't handle the high academic standards of D-1".

I bet most fans of the big time programs don't even know that I-AA, DII, DII, or NAIA even exist. (well...before today anyway).

Am I wrong on this, or do the fans of lower level programs know the ins and outs of college football better than top programs?

Ignorance is bliss....xwhistlex

NDSUFREAK
September 1st, 2007, 10:54 PM
With the going's on today I've been lurking on a few Big Ten boards and I'm shocked at the lack of knowledge by most of the fans.

Asking questions like "How many D-1 players does ASU have?" or "ASU won because they have many transfers from big time schools who couldn't handle the high academic standards of D-1".

I bet most fans of the big time programs don't even know that I-AA, DII, DII, or NAIA even exist. (well...before today anyway).

Am I wrong on this, or do the fans of lower level programs know the ins and outs of college football better than top programs?

i do agree with you on that. being a fan of a FCS team or DII team makes you more knowlegable than the "big time" college football fans

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2007, 11:05 PM
I don't necessarily know about that.

On the one hand, because our programs have to deal with more intricate rules and have many different types of programs that we consider our peers, it gives us a very different perspective. In that way, we do more more nuances about the organization side of the sport.

On the other, Michigan fans, and other FBS fans, know plenty about football, and could talk endlessly about what they're seeing just like many people here. Now, their larger fanbases, like any large group, tends to include a higher number of people who like to impress others with their ignorance. Be that as it may, there are plenty of fans at that level who know their football, and will give credit where it's properly due.

slycat
September 1st, 2007, 11:21 PM

yeah when fbs schools gets too hard, transfer to an ivy league school.xlolx

RadMann
September 1st, 2007, 11:22 PM
The FCS fans know more simply because they know a lot more about FCS by default, yet like any red-blooded American football fan by default they also know a lot about FBS because it is a big-time media sport that is covered a lot by the media. Also, being a fan of FCS you constantly have to explain that FCS/I-AA is still division I to all of the FBS fans that have no idea...