PDA

View Full Version : Portland State @ McNeese St

JALMOND
September 1st, 2007, 06:56 PM
Kickoff shortly. Start of the Glanville era. PSU names Howland as starting QB. Weather mid 80's, humidity around 80%.

Should be a good one.

Peems
September 1st, 2007, 06:59 PM
video/audio?

JALMOND
September 1st, 2007, 07:09 PM
Try www.ktro.com. Its the local Portland feed, and needs some work as the year goes on (I think that's it).

Vikings recover fumble at PSU 40. First and 10 Vikes.

PSU 0
MSU 0

14 mins left 1st.

JALMOND
September 1st, 2007, 07:15 PM
PSU---FG Chalmers 26 yds good.

PSU 3
MSU 0

10:42 left 1st

JALMOND
September 1st, 2007, 07:26 PM
MSU---Pereaux 15 yd TD pass to Whitehead. PAT good.

4:44 left 1st

PSU 3
MSU 7

Gotta run, folks. Hope someone can keep it going. Try the link above or I saw that Southland TV was carrying it as well, but I can't confirm it.

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 07:35 PM
Portland State looks slow as molasses. Need a lot of work.

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 07:43 PM
14-3 McNeese, start of 2nd quarter...Portland State driving.

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM
Portland State fumbles...they look horrible.

Peems
September 1st, 2007, 07:51 PM
Portland State fumbles...they look horrible.

where are you watching it?

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 07:53 PM
McNeese punting from own 47.

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 07:54 PM
where are you watching it?

Southland TV

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 07:54 PM
High snap on punt. Portland ball at Mc Neese 9

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 07:55 PM
McNeese bad snap on punt...Portland State recovers, personal foul on McNeese...1st and goal PSU.

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 07:55 PM
4 yards on running play. 2nd down on 5

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 07:57 PM
Delay of game 3 and goal from 11.

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 07:58 PM
Incomplete pass FG attempt upcoming.

blukeys
FG No Good!!!!1

Lionsrking
missed FG...still 14-3 McNeese.

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 08:00 PM
I think the run and shoot was a bad idea for Portland State. Could be a long year for them.

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 08:01 PM
Portland State holds...McNeese to punt

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 08:01 PM
McNeese is giving Portland opportunities but Vikes can't cash in.

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 08:02 PM
1st down PSU at midfield

Peems
What's wrong with PSU?

blukeys
PSU with ball at 50.

blukeys
What's wrong with PSU?

No offense.

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 08:04 PM
Incomplete. 2nd and 10 on 50

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 08:04 PM
What's wrong with PSU?

They're slow for one thing and it doesn't look like they have the personnel to run that offense.

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 08:05 PM
Complete pass. 1st down on McNeese 26.

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 08:05 PM
Nice throw and catch...1st and 10 PSU at the McNeese 26

CatFan22
September 1st, 2007, 08:06 PM
What's wrong with PSU?

They are overrated?

Lionsrking
PSU starting to find holes in the McNeese secondary...1st and 10 at the 15

blukeys
Complete pass. On Mcneese 15.

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 08:09 PM
4th and 2 at the 5...FG unit on for PSU

blukeys
FG attempt from inside the 10.

Lionsrking
FG good...14-6 McNeese

blukeys
FG good. 14-6 McNeese.

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 08:14 PM
2nd and 10 on PSU 48

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 08:15 PM
McNeese's Quentin Lawrence out with injury since opening kickoff.

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 08:16 PM
1st down Pokes on PSU 34.

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 08:19 PM
McNeese on PSU 18. 2nd and 6

blukeys
3rd and 2 for Pokes.

Lionsrking
Cowboys driving...2nd and 7 at PSU 15

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 08:20 PM
1st and 10 at the 12

blukeys
1st down McNeese.

blukeys
TD Pokes

Lionsrking
TD McNeese...

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 08:21 PM
21-6 McNeese.

igo4uni
How about a score update??

Thanks!!!

blukeys
Less than 2 minutes in the half.

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 08:22 PM
igo are you drinking???

CrazyCat
September 1st, 2007, 08:23 PM
Look up

CopperCat
September 1st, 2007, 08:24 PM
YEAH MCNEESE!!!!

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 08:26 PM
Halftime McNeese 21-6.

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 08:27 PM
Portland State throws a slant on 4th and a foot...incomplete...have to punt...

If I'm a Portland State fan...I would be very alarmed. They look BAAAAAAD!!!

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 08:30 PM
Portland State throws a slant on 4th and a foot...incomplete...have to punt...

If I'm a Portland State fan...I would be very alarmed. They look BAAAAAAD!!!

One of the reasons I don't like the run and shoot is they have trouble converting on short yardage.

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM
One of the reasons I don't like the run and shoot is they have trouble converting on short yardage.

Thing about it is, McNeese is vulnerable between the tackles and Portland can't exploit it. They've hit a couple of shovel passes and sprint draws but haven't even tried to pound it.

already123
September 1st, 2007, 08:34 PM
Like bad salvageable.....or just BAAAAAAD bad??

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 08:37 PM
Like bad salvageable.....or just BAAAAAAD bad??

I'm sure they'll get better but they look really slow and just don't have the personnel from what it looks like on video. They look a running team trying to throw the ball if you can get the picture.

FormerPokeCenter
September 1st, 2007, 08:45 PM
I don't know about the charge that McNeese is particularly vulnerable through the tackles. I'm seeing my Pokes control the line of scrimmage on the runs, particularly in the redzone. If you describe Portland State as a running team trying to throw it, wouldn't they be able to line up and run it when they need to?

I see McNeese making some mistakes which have kept the score relatively low....

Of course, I'm very well aware that I'd have to be considered a McHomer....

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 08:48 PM
I don't know about the charge that McNeese is particularly vulnerable through the tackles. I'm seeing my Pokes control the line of scrimmage on the runs, particularly in the redzone. If you describe Portland State as a running team trying to throw it, wouldn't they be able to line up and run it when they need to?

I see McNeese making some mistakes which have kept the score relatively low....

They're controlling the run because PSU doesn't have a tight end or a fullback in the game. They haven't tried to line up and pound them. Outside of the Jackson, McNeese is small up front and a balanced offensive line with a lead blocker would be a lot more effective.

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 09:01 PM
PSU clicking...1st and 10 at the McNeese 15

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 09:04 PM
Portland State settling for FGs, score now 21-9 McNeese

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 09:12 PM
PSU holds...McNeese forced to punt

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 09:14 PM
Another bad snap for McNeese...Bercegay does a good job getting it away...McNeese called for chop block...tacked on to end of play...1st and 10 PSU at 48

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 09:15 PM
McNeese DBs have terrible hands...should have had at least 3 INTS in this game.

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 09:20 PM
McNeese driving again.

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 09:21 PM
McNeese on PSU 15.

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 09:23 PM
TD Pokes

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 09:24 PM
TD McNeese 28-9, 2:03 to play in 3rd quarter...Portland State looks done.

blukeys
28-9 McNeese. 2 minutes left in 3rd.

blukeys
TD McNeese 28-9, 2:03 to play in 3rd quarter...Portland State looks done.

They certainly have not shown any signs of scoring in a hurry so far.

laxVik
September 1st, 2007, 09:25 PM
They certainly have not shown any signs of scoring in a hurry so far.Certainly not. Run-n-sputter today.

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 09:33 PM
4th quarter. McNeese 28-9

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 09:35 PM
They certainly have not shown any signs of scoring in a hurry so far.

Another problem I've noticed for PSU is their offensive line isn't very athletic and it's tough to block quicker defensive linemen with no help. I'm sure the heat and humidity got to them as well.

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 09:36 PM
Certainly not. Run-n-sputter today.

More like run-n-hide.

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 09:37 PM
More like run-n-hide.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 09:46 PM
Another FG for Portland 28-12 with 11 minutes to go

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 09:53 PM
TD pass McNeese, 35-12...backflip in endzone gets unsportsmanlike penalty.

patssle
September 1st, 2007, 09:57 PM
TD pass McNeese, 35-12...backflip in endzone gets unsportsmanlike penalty.

Are you kidding me? A backflip?

Mountain Panther
September 1st, 2007, 09:57 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOO PORTY STATE!

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 10:00 PM
Are you kidding me? A backflip?

It was after the TD...not going into the endzone...looks like he had it planned all summer.

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 10:00 PM
Back up QB in for McNeese.

Peems
September 1st, 2007, 10:09 PM
Not that the entire season is over if PSU loses, but pretty sad that the Run N' Shoot has not produced a TD as of yet.

Lionsrking
September 1st, 2007, 10:18 PM
Not that the entire season is over if PSU loses, but pretty sad that the Run N' Shoot has not produced a TD as of yet.

Like I said earlier, I'm sure they'll improve with a few games under their belts but they looked totally lost tonight. It's tough to change gears and go from a smash mouth team to a run and shoot team overnight. If Glanville sticks around for a while, it could be worth it, but if he's looking to bolt the first chance he gets, he may have set that program back a few years.

I'm just glad the Southland Conference could get a non-conference win against a power FCS conference. Also a good win for Texas State over Cal-Poly.

Peems
September 1st, 2007, 10:20 PM
Like I said earlier, I'm sure they'll improve with a few games under their belts but they looked totally lost tonight. It's tough to change gears and go from a smash mouth team to a run and shoot team overnight. If Glanville sticks around for a while, it could be worth it, but if he's looking to bolt the first chance he gets, he may have set that program back a few years.

I'm just glad the Southland Conference could get a non-conference win against a power FCS conference. Also a good win for Texas State over Cal-Poly.

What did Whitehead do in the game today?

Lionsrking
September 2nd, 2007, 12:11 AM

Count another solid win for the Southland as Nicholls upends Rice.

Cap'n Cat
September 2nd, 2007, 12:17 AM
PSU could lose to Drake and still win the Big Skam Conf.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xlolx xlolx xlolx

McNeese_beat
September 2nd, 2007, 12:50 AM
What did Whitehead do in the game today?

Whitehead scored an early touchdown on a 15-yard pass from Fourroux. After that it was pretty quiet. PSU did a good job covering kicks and on offense, McNeese was just delivering body blow after body blow with the running game. McNeese didn't even get the receivers involved in the running game like they normally do.

AZGrizFan
September 2nd, 2007, 12:52 AM

As opposed to SIU which DID lose to Drake and could still win the Gateway Conf. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

GOKATS
September 2nd, 2007, 12:55 AM

Wrongo. PSU is the most over hyped team in many years in any conference. Todays thumping by McNeese was just an early indication.xpeacex

McNeese75
September 2nd, 2007, 12:56 AM
They're controlling the run because PSU doesn't have a tight end or a fullback in the game. They haven't tried to line up and pound them. Outside of the Jackson, McNeese is small up front and a balanced offensive line with a lead blocker would be a lot more effective.

I suppose you think the lions will do that this year xrolleyesx

Thanks for keeping everyone up on the game but if you think PSU is a horrible team and lost this one to a mediocre McNeese team (like you seem to be insinuating all through this thread) you are going to be in for a BIG surprise when you come to our house. let's see, we win 35-12 and look bad and the Lions get beat pretty easily on Thursday and play a great game right? xrotatehx

That being said, there is certainly plenty of room for improvement by the Cowboys and they will be addressed in the next two weeks. This was the first game and plenty of jitters by both teams (as well as the Poke Coaching Staff being forced to watch Hawaii game tapes and speculate on what might be coming from Jerry and Mouse).

Go SLC!!!

McNeese75
September 2nd, 2007, 12:57 AM
Wrongo. PSU is the most over hyped team in many years in any conference. Todays thumping by McNeese was just an early indication.xpeacex

The Vikings will get better each week I am sure but how much success they will have of course remains to be seen.

WyomingGrizFan
September 2nd, 2007, 01:00 AM
Congratulations McNeese State. I should have known with all the speed and players that you had coming back from last year. Hope you have a good year and maybe see you in the playoffs again.

RobsPics
September 2nd, 2007, 01:05 AM
Migh "high" from earlier in the day (Appy beating Michigan) was diminished by PSU's loss later in the evening :(

FormerPokeCenter
September 2nd, 2007, 10:08 AM

Aultman's seeing plenty of snaps and he's bigger than Jackson...Also, Lundy looks bigger than Jackson and he's in there 50 percent of the time. Granted, neither one are proably as athletic as Vaalyn is, but they've got pretty decent size. We're much stronger and more athletic up front than we have been in several years.

Bringing in a tightend or a fullback results in our defense changing from a 4-2-5 to a 4-3, so it's not the mismatch you think it is...

As to Portland State's line being unathletic, you do realize that they have a returning All-American in Carvahlo. I suppose he's unathletic, too, right?

cbuck
September 2nd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Portland State was not ready to run that offense. They were not game ready, either, as they haven't lined up and hit anyone. PSU will be much better later in the year.

ummm, McNeese is not weak up the middle. Not sure where that idea came from.

McNeese75
September 2nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Lion fans always seem to have a "glass is half-empty" attitude whenever the topic concerns McNeese. xnodx

Retro
September 2nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Mcneese was impressive on both lines in this game throughout.. Mcneese through penalties mostly, game PSU several opportunites inside the 20 to score TD's, but Mcneese shut them down... PSU could not run thus minus rushing yards..

Mcneese's Safety dropped 2 interceptions, one would've been TD.. PSU had probably 2 drives from within their own territory that they marched down to within the Red Zone, but couldn't go any further...

If you had seen this game in person, you would agree that despite Mcneese's mistakes, they still dominated the game and it could've been a larger margin.

CopperCat
September 2nd, 2007, 01:40 PM

Right on the money.

mistersykes
September 2nd, 2007, 01:43 PM
Great win for McNeese State and the SLC!

JohnStOnge
September 2nd, 2007, 01:43 PM
We'll find out a lot more about McNeese's defense when they play Louisiana-Lafayette in two weeks. Yesterday the Cajuns played very well at South Carolina before losing 28-14.

South Carolina's starting QB sat the game out but he doesn't play defense and ULL rushed for 252 yards while averaging 5.4 yards per pop. The Cajuns were stopped twice on fourth down inside the SC five yard line and had a TD called back for holding.

It's not a "power" running game as ULL runs the "West Virgina" type of offense similar to what App State runs. They also have a real fast QB who had problems throwing the ball last year but hit 63 percent yesterday. And they've got a very good back in the person of a guy named Tyrell Fenroy.

We'll find out if the Cowboy defense is for real in two weeks. In fact I think it could be that it's "for real" by FCS standards and still give up a lot against the offense it's going to play in a couple of weeks.

I hate to have to pump ULL but their performance yesterday kind of demands it.

Retro
September 2nd, 2007, 04:54 PM
We'll find out a lot more about McNeese's defense when they play Louisiana-Lafayette in two weeks. Yesterday the Cajuns played very well at South Carolina before losing 28-14.

South Carolina's starting QB sat the game out but he doesn't play defense and ULL rushed for 252 yards while averaging 5.4 yards per pop. The Cajuns were stopped twice on fourth down inside the SC five yard line and had a TD called back for holding.

It's not a "power" running game as ULL runs the "West Virgina" type of offense similar to what App State runs. They also have a real fast QB who had problems throwing the ball last year but hit 63 percent yesterday. And they've got a very good back in the person of a guy named Tyrell Fenroy.

We'll find out if the Cowboy defense is for real in two weeks. In fact I think it could be that it's "for real" by FCS standards and still give up a lot against the offense it's going to play in a couple of weeks.

They may run WVU style offensive, but Pat White and Steve Slaton don't play there.. South Carolina's defense has never been known to be that great has just last season they gave up 390 yds rushing to wofford, but won 27-20.. Considering how well Mcneese played againest PSU, especially on the line, i'm not worried.. Building up UL-L is like kissing your sister, It just doesn't work! xoopsx

McNeese_beat
September 2nd, 2007, 05:25 PM

The QB was one of four players suspended, including a starting LB and a starting CB. So they did have two suspended on defense. They also had a TB suspended.

Lionsrking
September 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
I suppose you think the lions will do that this year xrolleyesx

Thanks for keeping everyone up on the game but if you think PSU is a horrible team and lost this one to a mediocre McNeese team (like you seem to be insinuating all through this thread) you are going to be in for a BIG surprise when you come to our house. let's see, we win 35-12 and look bad and the Lions get beat pretty easily on Thursday and play a great game right? xrotatehx

Go SLC!!!

Where in any of my posts did I say McNeese looked bad?

Prominentwon
September 2nd, 2007, 06:28 PM
not really you saying you said it, but totally insinuating it.....yes you were. mentioned that PSU looked nothing but bad and the McNeese was basically mediocre beating a bad team.

Lionsrking
September 2nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
not really you saying you said it, but totally insinuating it.....yes you were. mentioned that PSU looked nothing but bad and the McNeese was basically mediocre beating a bad team.

Okay...McNeese looked outstanding beating a bad Portland State team. Is that better?

Prominentwon
September 2nd, 2007, 06:32 PM
Okay...McNeese looked outstanding beating a bad Portland State team. Is that better?

you're obviously missing the point

Lionsrking
September 2nd, 2007, 06:52 PM
you're obviously missing the point

Not being impressed with Portland State has nothing to do with what I think of McNeese. From what I saw, you guys did what you were supposed to do against a team in obvious transition playing 2400 miles from home. Good job by the Cowboys.

elkmcc
September 2nd, 2007, 07:36 PM
Portland State was not ready to run that offense. They were not game ready, either, as they haven't lined up and hit anyone. PSU will be much better later in the year.

ummm, McNeese is not weak up the middle. Not sure where that idea came from.

Congrats to the McCowboys for the win over PSU. Was it the heat, the crowd or the team that got to them most? My guess is the McCowboys just played better ball than the Glanville boys. Can't say I am the least bit disappointed either. Good job McCowboys.xthumbsupx

McTailGator
September 2nd, 2007, 10:51 PM
Congrats to the McCowboys for the win over PSU. Was it the heat, the crowd or the team that got to them most? My guess is the McCowboys just played better ball than the Glanville boys. Can't say I am the least bit disappointed either. Good job McCowboys.xthumbsupx

Bottom line is PSU does not really have the personnel to play that type of ball.

They were a better team when they tried playing smash mouth ball.

They are slow, and yes McNeese is VERY VERY fast and physical this year, as our players are more experienced and confident now.

We also have a new coaching phillosophy and not as old school as we were under Tate, who was just freaking hard headed.

Viator is a coach that will come up with new wrinkles every week, if not every half of play.

McNeese's defense is back to the defense of old. Top 5 or so in the nation by years end IMO.

The offense kept it simple for PSU just trying to wear them out. But Look for McNeese to spread things out for our next game in week 3 vs UL-Lafayette.