PDA

View Full Version : Is Appalachian State beatable?

FurmanPaladins4138
September 1st, 2007, 04:45 PM
So this afternoon, App St. goes into one of, if not the most difficult place to play in the country, and beats the #5 team in FBS. A great win for ASU, and for the FCS in general.
My question is, after today's performance, will App St. even come close to losing for the rest of the year? It seems unlikely to me at this point. What do you think their toughest game will be? I know they play at Furman, which could be their toughest remaining game, but will any other games prove even remotely difficult for these soon-to-be titans of FCS football?

umassfan
September 1st, 2007, 04:46 PM
great another app thread

Griz40
September 1st, 2007, 04:50 PM
It was one game..on one saturday.. GREAT win for the fcs...GREAT win for App State.....but they are beatable.

igo4uni
September 1st, 2007, 04:50 PM
Of course they're beatable...........upsets happen..........just ask Michigan.

appisgreatest
September 1st, 2007, 04:51 PM
xoopsx Don't say that! lol I still think ASU has plenty of challenging games left to play. So by no means am I positive we will go undefeated. What happened to Michigan today can easily happen to ASU in the weeks to come if the focus is lost. Thats why they call it any given saturday.

Gil Dobie
September 1st, 2007, 04:52 PM
The 1972 Dolphins might have a chance ;)

mrklean
September 1st, 2007, 04:54 PM
The season is just started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!

Panic
September 1st, 2007, 05:02 PM
Big Ten > Southern Conference

Gil Dobie
September 1st, 2007, 05:04 PM
Big Ten > Southern Conference

Big Ten < FCS

PMB4Life
September 1st, 2007, 05:17 PM
At least we're all keeping perspective here.

UNHWildCats
September 1st, 2007, 05:19 PM
everyones beatable.

katstrapper
September 1st, 2007, 05:21 PM
I dont know who they play next week, but after an emontional day today they could be in for a let down next week.

However, WAY TO REPRESENT THE FCS APP STATE.xthumbsupx

UNHWildCats
September 1st, 2007, 05:22 PM
I dont know who they play next week, but after an emontional day today they could be in for a let down next week.

Lenoir-Rhyne

Wow would that be funny as hell if they lost next week xlolx xlolx xlolx

That would begin the Lenoir-Rhyne could beat Michigan talk.

ButlerGSU
September 1st, 2007, 05:26 PM
Of course they are, the problem now for Coach Moore is keeping his players focused during the season. A play or two here or there could cost them a spot in the playoffs.

Great win today though!

appsfan
September 1st, 2007, 05:29 PM
Yes we are beatable. I think possible upset games could be at Wofford (played us tough in Boone last year,) at Furman, or Georgia Southern (beat them in 2OT last year.) We need to stay focused, stay healthy, and (to use a cliche) take one game at a time.xnodx

NC Aggie
September 1st, 2007, 05:31 PM
Of course they are beatable...they are a bunch of 18-21 year old kids.

JohnStOnge
September 1st, 2007, 05:40 PM
Yes, they are beatable...even if it turns out that Michigan is really a top 5 caliber team. This is the first time a I-AA/FCS has gotten over the top in a game like this but not the first time one has given a top 5 caliber team a scare. Eastern Washington lost by 2 to Oregon State in the opening game of a season in which the Beavers went 11-1 and finished ranked in both major polls. Georgia Southern led a Florida State team that finished 11-1 about midwway through the 4th quarter once.

That Eastern Washington team didn't even make the I-AA playoffs. Georgia Southern did make the I-AA national championship game during that year in which it threw a scare into Florida State but didn't win it.

Winning that game doesn't mean Appalachian State is a lock for the FCS national title. Sure as heck makes them look a lot stronger as the favorite...especially with the way they won it. But not a lock.

Another thing is that Michigan may have been way over rated. It's a huge accomplishment for App State and I was really pumped to see it happen regardless. But where Michigan ends the season ranked (or not ranked) will provide a much better read on just how huge of an accomplishment it was.

One thing's for sure...it brought a whole lot of publicity to FCS. A lot more than that brought by previous I-AA wins over BCS league programs. It was great.

I can't wait to hear it annoucned over the PA at the McNeese game. I know the way the guy does it. What he'll do is something like:

"Michigan 32...." pause

"Appalachian State...34!"

And the crowd will go nuts. Wouldn't be surprised to see a standing ovation.

JohnStOnge
September 1st, 2007, 05:43 PM

Wasn't as big a win, but remember what happened to Montana State the week after beating Colorado last season? Lost to Chadron State.

Pitbull
September 1st, 2007, 05:44 PM
NO....

GRZZ
September 1st, 2007, 05:50 PM
I can't wait to hear it annoucned over the PA at the McNeese game. I know the way the guy does it. What he'll do is something like:

"Michigan 32...." pause

"Appalachian State...34!"

That is exactly how they announced it at the Griz game today. Big cheers.

AZGrizFan
September 1st, 2007, 05:55 PM
Well, as one of the voters who put the Griz @ preseason #1, they just got my #1 vote. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

I think they're beatable, not sure by who. And of course, injuries could play a major role. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx Did they come out of the game relatively injury free?

appheel
September 1st, 2007, 06:08 PM
There was only one point in the game that I saw where it appeared an App player was injured. I'm not even sure who it was, but I think we are ok right now on the injury front.

And yes, App is beatable but this sure sets high expectations for the rest of the season.

bulldog10jw
September 1st, 2007, 06:11 PM
great another app thread

jealous?

DaveK
September 1st, 2007, 06:12 PM
I don't think App. State is beatable within the I-AA division. I believe they will run the table and destroy everybody that gets in their way on the road to yet another national championship. They really should consider moving up to Division I. I think they could be as good as Marshall at that level.

Eyes of Old Main
September 1st, 2007, 06:16 PM
Yes, they are beatable, but they'll have to contribute to their own defeat with bad decisions, penalties, turnovers, injuries, etc. I think they will lose a game, but I can't say who'll beat them. Just too many things can happen.

HaveFunKc
September 1st, 2007, 06:20 PM
TJ Courman took a stinger. He came back in later. We basically came out 'major injury' free. Icing on the cake...

What an incredible game!!! Well worth the 10-hr road trip up here.

EPJr
September 1st, 2007, 06:26 PM
I watched most of it came to one conclusion
Michigan is not - REPEAT IS NOT the 5th best team in the country. They would lose to some other FCS powers if scheduled this year. Having said that:
congrats ASU

http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/socon/medium/app-med.gif

Poly Pigskin
September 1st, 2007, 06:29 PM
They really should consider moving up to Division I.

Oh whoops, they ARE Division I. xrolleyesx

NDSUFREAK
September 1st, 2007, 06:29 PM
Every team is beatable. With that being said then yea, i believe App is beatable (Geez i've been using that word a lot today) by how great they played today and pride and all it will make other teams work even hard to beat this great team

Peems
September 1st, 2007, 06:52 PM
All of App's upcoming opponents will not "underestimate" them, though i doubt Michigan did, as they say AGS

Yosef84
September 1st, 2007, 07:16 PM
App has plenty of legit tests in their schedule this year. We play Furman, Wofford and Citadel on the road. GSU is likely to be better than expected. I just hope none of the players start thinking they aren't beatable. That would be the worst thing that could happen out of this. Jerry Moore is pretty darn good at keeping their feet on the ground though.

youwouldno
September 1st, 2007, 07:41 PM
App is definitely beatable. In other words, it definitely is POSSIBLE. But it is not likely-- certainly not in any one game, and probably not even over the course of the season.

skinny_uncle
September 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM
This kind of thread can jinx a team. There was a similar one on Valleytalk last year after Wichita State won their first 8 games called "Will Wichita lose a game this year?" Their season then proceeded to go in the dumper.
:D

No_Skill
September 1st, 2007, 07:51 PM
Today, App proved that anyone is beatable.

JBB
September 1st, 2007, 07:54 PM
They are just another name on a football jersey! :)

It was one of the great games of all time. Of course Mich is no longer the 5th best team in the country, they lost.

BisonBacker
September 1st, 2007, 07:59 PM

Again people quoting the rube who said FCS teams shouldn't be playing top FBS teams. I'm surprised he has the gall to show up on this thread. What a dope. Of course he has to throw in the ignorant comment about DI.

Cocky
September 1st, 2007, 08:01 PM
After watching the game, I believe App could and would beat them again if they played tomorrow.

mountain man
September 1st, 2007, 08:02 PM
when a team wins a seemingly impossible game, the elation is hard to match,they are on such a high, that high is hard to match. they might find it hard to get up for a lesser team, ive seen this happen before, this is a great win, but in some ways it may come back to hurt them, does anybody know what im talking about ?

I agree but the confidence level gained today will be with the team for years to come.

BisonBacker
September 1st, 2007, 08:03 PM

Poly pigskin just to make sure you know I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the ignoramous you quoted. The one who always runs down FCS and refused to call it what it is and instead uses the term I-AA
Dave don't you have to go talk about freezing your toes on the ice with your buddies?

lizrdgizrd
September 1st, 2007, 09:36 PM
App is definitely beatable. They showed that anyone is beatable twice today: 1st when they beat Michigan, 2nd when they played an ugly, ugly 2nd half. Those same mental mistakes in another game could bring us down. I think Jerry's going to let the guys enjoy the win for a few days, but he'll point out their mistakes and make sure they understand that it's those things that'll cost a game.

skinny_uncle
September 1st, 2007, 09:44 PM
Dangerous thread.
"Pride goeth before a fall."

proasu89
September 1st, 2007, 09:47 PM
Dangerous thread.

Very true, however it was started by one of our friends from G-ville.
We're not drinking that kool-aid just yetxcoolx

lizrdgizrd
September 1st, 2007, 09:48 PM
Dangerous thread.
Of course, the thread was started by a Furple. xrolleyesx

Note we're saying that we are beatable...

slycat
September 1st, 2007, 09:49 PM
of course they are. just like michigan was. i bet they lose 1-2 games this year.

Sundown
September 1st, 2007, 10:02 PM
xoopsx Don't say that! lol I still think ASU has plenty of challenging games left to play. So by no means am I positive we will go undefeated. What happened to Michigan today can easily happen to ASU in the weeks to come if the focus is lost. Thats why they call it any given saturday.

QFT.

ngineer
September 1st, 2007, 10:03 PM
So this afternoon, App St. goes into one of, if not the most difficult place to play in the country, and beats the #5 team in FBS. A great win for ASU, and for the FCS in general.
My question is, after today's performance, will App St. even come close to losing for the rest of the year? It seems unlikely to me at this point. What do you think their toughest game will be? I know they play at Furman, which could be their toughest remaining game, but will any other games prove even remotely difficult for these soon-to-be titans of FCS football?

After what happened today, this question should not be asked..Clearly, ANYONE is beatable on 'any given Saturday.' If you're not ready mentally as well as physically, you will get beat. Period.

Peems
September 1st, 2007, 10:06 PM
Of course, the thread was started by a Furple. xrolleyesx

Note we're saying that we are beatable...

maybe that's why he started it, so they have a chance come game time this november:D

JBB
September 1st, 2007, 10:07 PM
After what happened today, this question should not be asked..Clearly, ANYONE is beatable on 'any given Saturday.' If you're not ready mentally as well as physically, you will get beat. Period.

Those words are more accurate than ever. Maybe its the larger population? Too many great athletes for a handful of scholarship programs to control.

Lots of programs offering scholarships too. Why sit on the bench when you can play?

T-Dog
September 1st, 2007, 10:55 PM
Of course we are beatable. We are human, just like Michigan found out.

It would be naive and stupid to think we are invincable. A ton of stuff could happen and we have an off-week or something of the sort.

Any. Given. Saturday. It could happen.

Peems
September 1st, 2007, 11:10 PM
I think the team that should play App. St is West Virginia!

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2007, 11:54 PM
Just watching that game I don't think ASU will possess the "dominate" defense they've had the past few years. I know Hart is an elite runner, but their defensive front is still young and gave up a lot of yards on the ground.

Any team that does beat them, though, is going to have to win a shootout. I don't see anyone slowing down their offense.

Great win for the gold and black. Hopefully we can double the fun in two weeks by beating Clemson.

Cap'n Cat
September 2nd, 2007, 12:09 AM
Apper is only beatable, I'm convinced now, if you sacrifice a defender to be a rover whose only job is to parallel and shadow their quarterback.

psc2445
September 2nd, 2007, 12:38 AM
Apper is only beatable, I'm convinced now, if you sacrifice a defender to be a rover whose only job is to parallel and shadow their quarterback.

He'll just make that guy miss, anywayxlolx

blackcaesar3k5
September 2nd, 2007, 01:29 AM
I believe APPalachian State is going to repeat as national champions.. Coach Moore just might end up like Jim Tressel and take over at big-time program on 1-aa level..

Cap'n Cat
September 2nd, 2007, 01:33 AM
I believe APPalachian State is going to repeat as national champions.. Coach Moore just might end up like Jim Tressel and take over at big-time program on 1-aa level..

Or I-A, right?

You think so? Moore looks older than Joe Pa. How old is he?

xconfusedx

T-Dog
September 2nd, 2007, 01:39 AM

Everyone in the 2nd half of last year tried that y'know. I remember vividly our opponents saying the exact thing you just said.

mountain man
September 2nd, 2007, 05:15 AM

The problem with that is it leaves man to man coverage on either Dexter Jackson, Coco Hillary or one of the other speedsters.

Drblankstare
September 2nd, 2007, 06:48 AM
Major pressure from the defenses front four all game. If you can get in edwards kitchen then you have a chance for him to make some mistakes. In all honesty though, im not sure anyone has a D-line that good to pressure him for 4 quarters.

gvilleapp
September 2nd, 2007, 07:26 AM
Just watching that game I don't think ASU will possess the "dominate" defense they've had the past few years. I know Hart is an elite runner, but their defensive front is still young and gave up a lot of yards on the ground.

Any team that does beat them, though, is going to have to win a shootout. I don't see anyone slowing down their offense.

Great win for the gold and black. Hopefully we can double the fun in two weeks by beating Clemson.

Here's one App fan that will be pulling for you against the Tigers. Go get 'um Furman! Thought you guys looked good last night especially the receivers and Jordan Sorrells. FG kicker also looked great. Gotta say, I was impressed with the fight PC put up.

gvilleapp
September 2nd, 2007, 07:27 AM
Everyone in the 2nd half of last year tried that y'know. I remember vividly our opponents saying the exact thing you just said.

Ditto

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2007, 08:23 AM
What's the scary thing, is the ASU runs (essentially) just a handfull of plays.

I recieved phone call after phone call yesterday from my Georgia/Auburn friends asking what went on with that game (knowing I'm the one that follows IAA football). One went as far to say "they run a slant pattern, quarterback read, and a zone run over and over again." They do, no one can stop it.

Ronbo
September 2nd, 2007, 11:23 AM
The way things look at this moment no, they aren't beatable. If they run the table through the NC they would surpass the 1996 Marshall team as the best ever in my mind.

If we get the opportunity to play them, Montana will be big underdogs, but the boys will play hard and give it their all.

mainejeff
September 2nd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Only way that they get beat this season is playing some very good defense against them. There's probably a few teams out there that can do it.....but probably not until the playoffs.

blueballs
September 2nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
ANY GIVEN SATURDAY

CID1990
September 2nd, 2007, 02:50 PM

In 1991 we beat South Carolina, and then we lost to Chatty.

In 1992 we beat Arkansas and then lost to Marshall and YSU.

Bulldog87
September 2nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
Only if they beat themselves.If they don't drop the TD pass and miss the FG that hit the goalpost there's no drama in the 4th quarter. Congrats ASU.

james_lawfirm
September 2nd, 2007, 05:01 PM
I think the team that should play App. St is West Virginia!

Peems:

I have been waiting for someone to mention not just whether ASU is beatable (they are), but how to beat them. You are the first to suggest a team like WVU might do it. And, I agree.

I have been to almost all of the ASU games for the last while. The team speed is truly amazing. ASU has track stars for players. Coach Carr said in a TV interview the week before the game that ASU was the fastest team they would ever see. Those are some pretty strong words from Michigan's coach. Coach Moore was quoted as saying that this year's team was even faster than last year's team. Coming from the usually understated Coach Moore, that is quite a statement.

Note that on the third play from scrimmage Dexter Jackson was off to the races & had a TD by simply outrunning the entire Mich. team.

So, to bring this post back on topic, App is beatable - by a team that can at least match up with our team speed. Who is that? I don't know. I bet WVU would come close - and Florida would certainly.

The other part to that equation is ASU's spread, no huddle offense. It creates matchup problems for the other team, especially when there are 5 receivers (w/ speed) - often there is one linebacker who has to cover a speed guy (and usu. the linebacker is slower.)

Plus, unlike WVU and Florida, ASU seems to want to RUN in the spread, no huddle. The whole scheme causes problems for the defense.

Therefore, my answer is that to beat ASU, the opponent must have at least similar team speed, figure out how to stop the spread, no huddle offense, and play a good game. Otherwise, it's going to be a long day. Oh yeah, it would be best not to play in Kidd Brewer Stadium.

The old days of big, fat boys playing football are over. Florida made a big Ohio State team look bad in January. ASU just proved my point in the Big House. You can't hit what you can't catch. ASU has found a plan that works. And, it will keep working until someone else not only figures it out, but can match the speed.

GO APPS!

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 2nd, 2007, 11:44 PM
At the risk of sounding like a bitter jealous GSU fan (take note that I was one of the people that stuck up for ASU when people were saying that they would get blown out by 30+ points) I still think there is a chance that they will be beaten. New Hampshire was looking very solid early season last year and people were wondering if they could be stopped but later games proved that they were in fact beatable. Another unkown is how good Michigan will be. This might be their only loss, or they might lose eight games this year.

There are just too many unknowns. GSU took ASU to overtime last year despite GSU not being that great, and it was the closest they had come to losing to an FCS opponent.

JohnStOnge
September 3rd, 2007, 08:02 AM
So, to bring this post back on topic, App is beatable - by a team that can at least match up with our team speed. Who is that? I don't know. I bet WVU would come close - and Florida would certainly.

I thought people were getting carried away in the "fluke" thread but this goes a step further if I'm interpreting it correctly. It looks like it's gone from wondering if App is beatable by FCS teams to whether or not it's beatable by BCS teams.

I know people are excited. I am too. But come on. App State just beat a very big name BCS league team by two points upon blocking a field goal on the last play...almost certainly under circumstances where one team pointed with a lot of focus to the game for weeks while the other was assuming a win and looking past the opponent to the second week. That makes the mountaineers 1 - 3 against BCS league teams during its glory years so far, with the average score being BCS leaguer 29, App 13. That's actually very good on App's part, but if the Mountaineers were playing BCS league teams every week, they'd lose a lot. A whole lot.

App is very fast for a FCS team But if App was in the SEC, it'd be a below average team in terms of team speed. Yes, it has some fast players. But App's defense, in particular, has nothing like the speed teams like Tennessee, LSU, Florida, Auburn, and Alabama have on that side of the ball. The offense doesn't have the overall speed on offense of teams like that either.

In some of the highlights I saw, Michigan skill people made App defensive backs look like they were running in mud. The game ending blocked field goal was wonderful, but did you notice that App's starting safety got run down from behind by the kicker? That kicker looked pretty fast. But do you honestly think that would've happened to any starting safety in the SEC?

C'mon guys. I'm as big an FCS fan as there is but let's not lose our credibility.

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
I thought people were getting carried away in the "fluke" thread but this goes a step further if I'm interpreting it correctly. It looks like it's gone from wondering if App is beatable by FCS teams to whether or not it's beatable by BCS teams.

I know people are excited. I am too. But come on. App State just beat a very big name BCS league team by two points upon blocking a field goal on the last play...almost certainly under circumstances where one team pointed with a lot of focus to the game for weeks while the other was assuming a win and looking past the opponent to the second week. That makes the mountaineers 1 - 3 against BCS league teams during its glory years so far, with the average score being BCS leaguer 29, App 13. That's actually very good on App's part, but if the Mountaineers were playing BCS league teams every week, they'd lose a lot. A whole lot.

App is very fast for a FCS team But if App was in the SEC, it'd be a below average team in terms of team speed. Yes, it has some fast players. But App's defense, in particular, has nothing like the speed teams like Tennessee, LSU, Florida, Auburn, and Alabama have on that side of the ball. The offense doesn't have the overall speed on offense of teams like that either.

In some of the highlights I saw, Michigan skill people made App defensive backs look like they were running in mud. The game ending blocked field goal was wonderful, but did you notice that App's starting safety got run down from behind by the kicker? That kicker looked pretty fast. But do you honestly think that would've happened to any starting safety in the SEC?

C'mon guys. I'm as big an FCS fan as there is but let's not lose our credibility.

I don't know where to begin replying here. When Corey Lynch got run down from behind by the kicker, he had just blocked the FG with 6 seconds to play, played the ENTIRE game on defense without a break, made 11 tackles, and RUN THE ENTIRE FIELD KNOWING THE TD WAS IRRELEVANT. His mind was telling him "JUST RUN OUT THE CLOCK AND DO NOT FUMBLE THE BALL." I bet the Michigan kicker had yet to break a sweat prior to that play. Did you notice Lynch ran out of gas on about the 30, shifted the ball to his right arm, and then covered with both arms so he would not fumble, and stayed in bounds as he was tackled. TO WIN THE GAME!!!

And if you think all that won us the game was a blocked FG, you did not watch the entire game. We were up by 2 TDs just before halftime. Our offense was running past the Michigan players for long gains numerous times. Speed kills. On his weekly talk show, Coach Carr himself said that ASU was the fastest team he had ever seen.

When I mentioned in an earlier post that WVU and Florida could probably beat ASU I did not mean to imply they were the only teams with speed to match ASU's and that could beat us. But they are the only teams I know of who play a spread offense, and therefore are used to defending it, and have good speed. My REAL point was that the old days of big, fat boys playing football is over. Those big, fat boys are going to lose to the faster teams.

I am sure other FBS teams are big AND fast. I am unaware of any FCS schools that are fast enough to match ASU's speed. That does not mean they are not out there, I am just unaware of them.

I think you misinterpreted my earlier post to put ASU in the top of FBS schools. I did not say that.

Here is the point of my earlier post:

Speed 1, Big-Fat boys 0 (regardless of classification). xsmiley_wix

OL FU
September 3rd, 2007, 12:05 PM
Only way that they get beat this season is playing some very good defense against them. There's probably a few teams out there that can do it.....but probably not until the playoffs.

xrolleyesx

OL FU
I am definitely not as proud of our supposed home field advantagexeyebrowx

AppGirl

If App was in the SEC, we'd have 22 more schollies, too.

phillyAPP
September 3rd, 2007, 12:11 PM
ANY GIVEN SATURDAY

IF that isn't the truth in BIG letters!

phillyAPP
September 3rd, 2007, 12:18 PM
At the risk of sounding like a bitter jealous GSU fan (take note that I was one of the people that stuck up for ASU when people were saying that they would get blown out by 30+ points) I still think there is a chance that they will be beaten. New Hampshire was looking very solid early season last year and people were wondering if they could be stopped but later games proved that they were in fact beatable. Another unkown is how good Michigan will be. This might be their only loss, or they might lose eight games this year.

There are just too many unknowns. GSU took ASU to overtime last year despite GSU not being that great, and it was the closest they had come to losing to an FCS opponent.

Five years ago I was saying APP would never beat GSU until they got fast enough to catch them. We have finally done that BUT GSU still has plenty of speed and the SoCON will always offer a chance of a loss AGS.

Hatcher will make a difference at GSU.Character and players will be different. I hope there is room at the ROCK for GSU fans.

I-AA Fan
September 3rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
"Re: Is Appalachian State beatable?"

Top-10 reasons Why is this a bad question:

reasons 10-3: not another App State thread.

reason #2: is 'beatable' a real word?

and the number 1 reason why this is a bad question:

Answer: is Michigan?

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 03:06 PM

Cap'n:
I don't believe that will work. That was the common wisdom by the end of last season and all during the playoffs. I heard similar comments from numerous playoff posters.

The problem for the defense is that Edwards will take what the defense gives him. If they defend the run, he'll pass. If they defend the pass, he'll run. If you have an LB shadow him, it just takes a coverage man out of the picture.

Near as I can figure, the only way to defend Edwards is with some defense, as yet uninvented, with speed and quickness at all positions, and most importantly, with 14 players on the field. xsmiley_wix

Kill'em
September 3rd, 2007, 06:16 PM
There are a couple of reasons for App to be worried:
1) App showed an apparent weakness in the middle of their defense. This could pose a problem against strong runners (i.e. Jerome Felton).
2) App is getting so much hype they might start believing it. This team is ripe for a letdown. It won't happen this week but I look for it to happen sometime this season. I would hate to be the team that plays them the following week.

Peems
September 3rd, 2007, 06:39 PM
1) App showed an apparent weakness in the middle of their defense. This could pose a problem against strong runners (i.e. Jerome Felton).
2) App is getting so much hype they might start believing it. This team is ripe for a letdown. It won't happen this week but I look for it to happen sometime this season. I would hate to be the team that plays them the following week.

Or Lex Hilliardxsmiley_wix

But if you want to beat App, you gotta control the ball, and not let the offense on the field.

Seven Would Be Nice
September 3rd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Most likely they will look past an easier opponent, such as Elon, and lose that game. It's the same way they beat Michigan, one team gets over confident, looks at their schedule for the next Saturday and mark down a W on Monday afternoon.
They will not lose to Furman, GSU, Woffie, or other "big" SoCon game. They will be ready for those. It's the sleeper teams they have to watch out for. App just proved that to the world last Saturday.

proasu89
September 3rd, 2007, 07:15 PM
Most likely they will look past an easier opponent, such as Elon, and lose that game. It's the same way they beat Michigan, one team gets over confident, looks at their schedule for the next Saturday and mark down a W on Monday afternoon.
They will not lose to Furman, GSU, Woffie, or other "big" SoCon game. They will be ready for those. It's the sleeper teams they have to watch out for. App just proved that to the world last Saturday.

I just don't see a let down happening. Coach Moore (and staff) have had 2+ seasons under their belt with the bulls eye squarely on their backs. They have come to far to take anyone lightly. However, anyone can be beat. I really have been holding back on this....but, when I saw the skill positions at the spring scrimmage I got cold chills. The reason I believe we MIGHT run the table is that our skill positions were much closer to Michigans than people are ready to admit. Conversely, teams such as Elon, UTC, WCU just don't have the talent to pull the upset on us. Wofford, Furman, GSU, and Citadel...it most certainly could happen.xtwocentsx

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 07:56 PM

To reply in order:
1) I did not see a weakness in the middle, until the middle of the third and the 4th qtr. when all were exhausted. I thought they played great run defense against a run oriented offense with a running back you will soon see on Sunday afternoon. He did not do too well until the 4th. By stifling the run, Michigan was forced to pass where they looked uncomfortable. Plus, Titus Howard will be back next week.
2) If there is any team immune to the hype, its App., although admittedly it is a worry. I am sure the coaches will address it. Probably by saying that they should enjoy the victory until about Tuesday morning when it is time to prepare for next Saturday.

gophoenix
September 3rd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Conversely, teams such as Elon, UTC, WCU just don't have the talent to pull the upset on us.

That is the same type of thing Michigan fans said about a certain conference mate. So, my question is, how do you really know? Especially since we just lost by 15 to a team people said would be us by 50.

proasu89
September 3rd, 2007, 08:34 PM
That is the same type of thing Michigan fans said about a certain conference mate. So, my question is, how do you really know? Especially since we just lost by 15 to a team people said would be us by 50.

Gophoenix,

You're right, I don't knowxpeacex but that still doesn't change my conviction on this matter. I'll eat crow if I have toxoopsx

Black and Gold Express
September 3rd, 2007, 08:35 PM
FWIW, if we lose a game it will be a road game. This is where the home winning streak may be a benefit instead of a distraction. We have the biggest cupcake on our schedule the week after our biggest non-title win in school history. While I trust Coach Moore completely to so his very best to ensure the players are not overconfident, they are 18-23 year olds.

But the home strak has gotten to the point that nobody wants to be the ones to cause it to end. So the "outside" motivation to play well at home is there. And looking at our home schedule, I don't see a team that can beat us, not even GSU, if we stay focused. The only unknown to me is NAU, I just don't know much about them but I cannot imagine they'll be better than MSU was last year and we waxed them at home.

If you forced me to pick a game that we will lose, and right now I honestly think we will run the regular season table, it would be at Wofford. They and Furman are our remaining tough road games against good teams, and Furman holds a "special place" in our hearts and we won't overlook them. Wofford is one of those teams that are dull and you could overlook, but unlike the rest of the SoCon (outside of the Big Three) Wofford's the one team with the ability to really take it to you. The rest of the Socon the talent gap is just too wide.

The great thing about our schedule is that we have a good setup to get our mindset where it needs to be. L-R at home is the perfect type of game to find that balance and get fully off the Michigan high. Then we bring in a better quality team in NAU at home, a chance to get more focused. Then we start the SoCon schedule with probably the easiest road trip in Elon, where we can get fully focused on winning another conference title and get the focus back for beign a road target.

It will take a bad game by us and a great game by any of our remaining opponents for us to lose, that is obvious. Can it be done? Certainly. Will it be done? I would not bet on it right now. Things could change though.

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
All that worry about ASU overlooking LR College can be set aside with the following quote on GoASU.com by Coach Moore: "I'll keep praising them for another day, and then I'll start barking at them come Tuesday morning." That ought to do it.

gophoenix
September 3rd, 2007, 10:53 PM
If App was in the SEC, we'd have 22 more schollies, too.

Yes, but still the same number of players on the field at a time. And despite the number of scholarships, most FBS schools rotate the same general amount of players in and out of the game as we do in FCS. The extra scholarships really only help in building over the course of years, not in individual games.

Mountaineer
September 3rd, 2007, 10:57 PM
And despite the number of scholarships, most FBS schools rotate the same general amount of players in and out of the game as we do in FCS.

During yesterday's press conference, Moore stated that we played about 40 guys the entire afternoon - whereas he mentioned Michigan was rotating them in and out.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 3rd, 2007, 11:17 PM
I would be careful not to overlook GSU this year. This year we have competent coaches running the offense (not a person who had a not-so-prolific career in the sunbelt conference) and we are so deep at running back that it's just sick. Also, the fastest person in the Socon, Jayson Foster, is going to be the full-time quarterback. Of course, we may suck this year, but I doubt it. Hatcher is a proven winner and a good offensive leader at the Division II level. We'll just have to wait and see.

Also, Furman has a tendancy to upset teams and choke to inferior ones in Paladin Stadium. They seem to be better this year and last year, and don't think the players have forgotten about the 40-7 thrashing that they got in Boone last year.

Another thing that you guys are not considering is whether or not Edwards will stay unhurt. Sorry, but I just don't think you guys will be nearly as good without him. Ask GSU fans about how our awesome 2001 team was derailed by East Tennessee State with an inexperienced, second string quarterback.

Even though, I still think ASU will win the Socon. I'll bet anyone $10 at 10 to 1 on that.

GreatAppSt
September 3rd, 2007, 11:59 PM
FWIW, if we lose a game it will be a road game. This is where the home winning streak may be a benefit instead of a distraction. We have the biggest cupcake on our schedule the week after our biggest non-title win in school history. While I trust Coach Moore completely to so his very best to ensure the players are not overconfident, they are 18-23 year olds.

But the home strak has gotten to the point that nobody wants to be the ones to cause it to end. So the "outside" motivation to play well at home is there. And looking at our home schedule, I don't see a team that can beat us, not even GSU, if we stay focused. The only unknown to me is NAU, I just don't know much about them but I cannot imagine they'll be better than MSU was last year and we waxed them at home.

If you forced me to pick a game that we will lose, and right now I honestly think we will run the regular season table, it would be at Wofford. They and Furman are our remaining tough road games against good teams, and Furman holds a "special place" in our hearts and we won't overlook them. Wofford is one of those teams that are dull and you could overlook, but unlike the rest of the SoCon (outside of the Big Three) Wofford's the one team with the ability to really take it to you. The rest of the Socon the talent gap is just too wide.

The great thing about our schedule is that we have a good setup to get our mindset where it needs to be. L-R at home is the perfect type of game to find that balance and get fully off the Michigan high. Then we bring in a better quality team in NAU at home, a chance to get more focused. Then we start the SoCon schedule with probably the easiest road trip in Elon, where we can get fully focused on winning another conference title and get the focus back for beign a road target.

It will take a bad game by us and a great game by any of our remaining opponents for us to lose, that is obvious. Can it be done? Certainly. Will it be done? I would not bet on it right now. Things could change though.

Don't forget Cid at Haygood we never seem to play well there and the Bdogs have nipped us there enough times before. They should be better this year and that makes me nervous.xthumbsupx

gophoenix
September 4th, 2007, 07:36 AM
During yesterday's press conference, Moore stated that we played about 40 guys the entire afternoon - whereas he mentioned Michigan was rotating them in and out.

Yes, because Moore knew who he wanted to play. Apparently Michigan didn't ;)

I am just saying, watch most of the ACC schools or schools that have solidified their roster, there really isn't all that more substitution than what most of us do. Michigan was in a panic, of course they were trying all sorts of things.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Fact remains, App simply can't expect teams to roll over because they are coming to town.

App couldn't slow down Jerome Felton even with their stud defensive fronts of years past. If he's healthy, the outcome of that particular game might rest on how well he plays.

Saint3333
September 4th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Yes, because Moore knew who he wanted to play. Apparently Michigan didn't ;)

I am just saying, watch most of the ACC schools or schools that have solidified their roster, there really isn't all that more substitution than what most of us do. Michigan was in a panic, of course they were trying all sorts of things.

I can only speak for ASU but every time we play a FBS opponent we rotate 7-8 guys on the o-line and 6-7 guys on the d-line while they rotate 9-10 and 8-9 respectively. The biggest difference is the depth in the linemen.

Black and Gold Express
September 4th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Don't forget Cid at Haygood we never seem to play well there and the Bdogs have nipped us there enough times before. They should be better this year and that makes me nervous.xthumbsupx

The last time we played there it was a pretty good game for the good guys, but I agree with what you are saying. I really do not thing that, after this week, the team's heads will be in the clouds. That is why the L-R game is a perfect game for us right now. It's a game that will be even more improbable for us to lose than it was for us to beat UM (because of talent differential), but even if we win in spite of a less than stellar effort, it's the perfect kind of game the coahces can use to get any player's head screwed back on straight that needs it.

I know a lot of people were upset that L-R was on the schedule, but it may end up being a blessing in disguise.

asu70
September 4th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I can only speak for ASU but every time we play a FBS opponent we rotate 7-8 guys on the o-line and 6-7 guys on the d-line while they rotate 9-10 and 8-9 respectively. The biggest difference is the depth in the linemen.

Saint, you are spot on with the above comments. I was in the big house and you could see more fatique in our d-line than UM's in the last quarter of play. The last quarter was an amazing display of heart by both teams where the intensity shown by both squads was something to behold. My hats off to both teams for playing such a great game with the winner in doubt until the very end.

Black and Gold Express
September 4th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Fact remains, App simply can't expect teams to roll over because they are coming to town.

App couldn't slow down Jerome Felton even with their stud defensive fronts of years past. If he's healthy, the outcome of that particular game might rest on how well he plays.

You might want to go back to last year's game and remind yourself that you have to figure out how to even slow down our offense. We didn't need much time on the field to roll 40 on you.

Felton is a difference maker, but you better figure out how to defend us when our offense is on the field. Just playing ball control to "keep us off the field" ain't gonna cut it anymore.

lizrdgizrd
September 4th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Another thing that you guys are not considering is whether or not Edwards will stay unhurt. Sorry, but I just don't think you guys will be nearly as good without him. Ask GSU fans about how our awesome 2001 team was derailed by East Tennessee State with an inexperienced, second string quarterback.
Yeah, our 2nd string QB is a real worry. Trey Elder has only started and won one National Championship game. ;)

asu70
September 4th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Yeah, our 2nd string QB is a real worry. Trey Elder has only started and won one National Championship game. ;)

Now that Trey's throwing arm has recovered from last years surgery, he certainly looked very sharp at fanfest.

citdog
September 4th, 2007, 12:15 PM
yes Yosef is beatable. In the house of General Johnson Hagood CSA and in front of a Homecoming crowd of 19-20k with honor the Men In Gray will prevail!

lizrdgizrd
September 4th, 2007, 01:43 PM
yes Yosef is beatable. In the house of General Johnson Hagood CSA and in front of a Homecoming crowd of 19-20k with honor the Men In Gray will prevail!

We'll see. xsmiley_wix

APP91
September 4th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Of course we are beatable, everybody is. I will say that if we bring intensity, I like our chances the rest of the year. We will be the big game for everyone here on out.

walliver
September 4th, 2007, 02:01 PM
People were having discussions similar to this about "unbeatable" Southern California and then they lost the BCS Championship one year, and didn't make the game the next. Running the table is possible, but even with a great team it requires a little luck. and there are usually a few close calls. I suspect ASU will lose one SoCon game this year.

I remember an "unstoppable" Adrian Peterson GSU team going into the mini-dump and LOSING to ETSU. A few mental mistakes, a penalty here or there, a strange bounce of the ball, and "bad mojo" can strike at any time.