PDA

View Full Version : From the Michigan Student Newspaper

chantster
September 1st, 2007, 04:45 PM
So, what are you losers gonna write about next week??? xlolx xlolx

The Staff of The Wolverine

How hot is Appalachian State? Doubly smoldering after winning its second consecutive Division I-AA national title last year. The administration feels so comfortable about a three-peat, in fact, that it's re-released a 1980s (we hope) promotional video in which it's hot times three!.

Yes, high upon a mountain above the rest, there's a university that's going places (specifically, sending its football team to Ann Arbor Saturday for a butt whooping). Striving to makes its dreams [of holding the U-M offense under 50 points] come true …

"You might be No. 1 in Division I-AA ..."
Seriously, we're all for Michigan playing ASU - as long as the 'A' stands for "Arizona." As one local talk show host might ask, was Shania Twain not available?

This week's objectives? Keep everyone healthy (but especially Chad Henne, Mike Hart, Shawn Crable and Jake Long). Designate a spy for nimble ASU quarterback Armanti Edwards, yes - but most importantly for a few injured linemen who have had a tough enough time avoiding the snack bar while football rather than spectating was occupying a good portion of their time (be careful where you leave your leftover tailgate brats, folks).

This week's winner receives an all-expenses paid trip to Blowing Rock, N.C., home of Appalachian State wide receiver Jim Bob Norman, and the Amazing Zorbeez Multi-Purpose Cloth (as seen on TV … with X27 Exclusive Fiber!).

This week's picks:

Chris Balas: And now we're scheduling I-AA opponents in Ann Arbor. Maybe Comcast execs knew what they were doing all along.

This one has ESPN's Erin Andrews vs. sideline reporter Doug Karsch written all over it, with Andrews playing Michigan, of course. If only she could placekick …

Michigan 42 (seven touchdowns), ASU that's not Arizona State, 10 (Yeah, yeah … collegiate synchronized swimming crowns a national champion, too).

John Borton: The reason Michigan isn't respecting Appalachian State as much as it should, for the children, is because a lot of people don't have maps. And if Boone, N.C., is in the boonies, such as, that doesn't help the people in the Iraq or South Africa. The people of Ann Arbor need more maps … for the children.

Michigan 38, Appalachian State 17

Michael Spath: What happened to the season openers of yore? Washington in 2002, Colorado in 1997, Virginia in 1995, Miami in 1984. They've been replaced by Division I-AA foes. Shame. Still, there is nothing that can take away from the excitement of a new season and for me that means starting over in staff picks. Last year I was everybody's fool (for the betterment of Michigan, The Fort believed). But it's time to start a new tradition, one in which both U-M and I win each week.

Michigan 41, Appalachian State 20.

Josh Helmholdt: I apologize, but I have to revisit this Miss-South Carolina-attending-Appalachian-State thing one more time before Michigan kicks off against the Mountaineers on Saturday. Listen, I dated plenty of girls in college for their beauty instead of their brains, but I didn't go showing them off in front of my friends. Ok, I did, but not long enough for them to open their mouths and let the cat out of the bag.

Before ASU was added to Michigan's 2008 schedule, how many of you as Americans knew anything at all about the university, even where it was located? The rest of the country that has not had a local team schedule Appalachian State knows just as much as you did…. that was until Miss South Carolina railed about the poor South African kids. Now they know it as the school of former beauty pageant contestants in dire need of maps and such.

Trust me, ASU has much bigger image concerns on their plate than this impending blowout.

Michigan 41, U.U.S.E.H.I.S.A (Univ. of U.S. education helping Iraq such as), 10

Matt Pargoff: Not really much to say on Appalachian State, except perhaps making a note of their incredible hotness. Yeah sure, they've won the I-AA national championship the last two years. They've got some speed at a few positions. But they've also been beaten by double-digit margins by some pretty mediocre Division I-A teams over the last few years as well. They'll give it their all, but this game won't be close.

Michigan 38, Appalachian State 10

RobsPics
September 1st, 2007, 04:48 PM
is tha online somewhere? whats the URL?

Casey_Orourke
September 1st, 2007, 04:52 PM

How hot is Appalachian State? Doubly smoldering after winning its second consecutive Division I-AA national title last year. The administration feels so comfortable about a three-peat, in fact, that it's re-released a 1980s (we hope) promotional video in which it's hot times three!.

Yes, high upon a mountain above the rest, there's a university that's going places (specifically, sending its football team to Ann Arbor Saturday for a butt whooping). Striving to makes its dreams [of holding the U-M offense under 50 points] come true …

Seriously, we're all for Michigan playing ASU - as long as the 'A' stands for "Arizona." As one local talk show host might ask, was Shania Twain not available?

This week's objectives? Keep everyone healthy (but especially Chad Henne, Mike Hart, Shawn Crable and Jake Long). Designate a spy for nimble ASU quarterback Armanti Edwards, yes - but most importantly for a few injured linemen who have had a tough enough time avoiding the snack bar while football rather than spectating was occupying a good portion of their time (be careful where you leave your leftover tailgate brats, folks).

This week's winner receives an all-expenses paid trip to Blowing Rock, N.C., home of Appalachian State wide receiver Jim Bob Norman, and the Amazing Zorbeez Multi-Purpose Cloth (as seen on TV … with X27 Exclusive Fiber!).

This week's picks:

Chris Balas: And now we're scheduling I-AA opponents in Ann Arbor. Maybe Comcast execs knew what they were doing all along.

This one has ESPN's Erin Andrews vs. sideline reporter Doug Karsch written all over it, with Andrews playing Michigan, of course. If only she could placekick …

Michigan 42 (seven touchdowns), ASU that's not Arizona State, 10 (Yeah, yeah … collegiate synchronized swimming crowns a national champion, too).

John Borton: The reason Michigan isn't respecting Appalachian State as much as it should, for the children, is because a lot of people don't have maps. And if Boone, N.C., is in the boonies, such as, that doesn't help the people in the Iraq or South Africa. The people of Ann Arbor need more maps … for the children.

Michael Spath: What happened to the season openers of yore? Washington in 2002, Colorado in 1997, Virginia in 1995, Miami in 1984. They've been replaced by Division I-AA foes. Shame. Still, there is nothing that can take away from the excitement of a new season and for me that means starting over in staff picks. Last year I was everybody's fool (for the betterment of Michigan, The Fort believed). But it's time to start a new tradition, one in which both U-M and I win each week.

Josh Helmholdt: I apologize, but I have to revisit this Miss-South Carolina-attending-Appalachian-State thing one more time before Michigan kicks off against the Mountaineers on Saturday. Listen, I dated plenty of girls in college for their beauty instead of their brains, but I didn't go showing them off in front of my friends. Ok, I did, but not long enough for them to open their mouths and let the cat out of the bag.

Before ASU was added to Michigan's 2008 schedule, how many of you as Americans knew anything at all about the university, even where it was located? The rest of the country that has not had a local team schedule Appalachian State knows just as much as you did…. that was until Miss South Carolina railed about the poor South African kids. Now they know it as the school of former beauty pageant contestants in dire need of maps and such.

Trust me, ASU has much bigger image concerns on their plate than this impending blowout.

Matt Pargoff: Not really much to say on Appalachian State, except perhaps making a note of their incredible hotness. Yeah sure, they've won the I-AA national championship the last two years. They've got some speed at a few positions. But they've also been beaten by double-digit margins by some pretty mediocre Division I-A teams over the last few years as well. They'll give it their all, but this game won't be close.

Send this back to them asking if they want that CROW ROASTED OR BAKED?

th0m
September 1st, 2007, 04:53 PM
Ahh this will be sweet.

appisgreatest
September 1st, 2007, 04:53 PM
HAHA Thats good stuff.

UNHWildCats
September 1st, 2007, 04:58 PM

This week's picks:

xeyebrowx So were they expecting their kicker to miss all 7 XP's??

Panic
September 1st, 2007, 05:01 PM
Way to go Michigan!

patssle
September 1st, 2007, 05:06 PM
post the link too...not just the article.

R.A.
September 1st, 2007, 05:13 PM
Wow... I watched the entire game on television... wow.

--So, how does Edwards not win the Payton award... especially if he has a great season and leads ASU to an undefeated National Title Season?? I don't care what Santos or Cuff does... niether of them led a team into the Big House, and came out with a win versus the #5 Team in the country.

Casey_Orourke
September 1st, 2007, 05:16 PM
I don't know if it is the same one, but here is a Michigan Student Newspaper link.....I posted my question there.

http://apps.michigandaily.com/blogs/thegame/?p=759

UNHWildCats
September 1st, 2007, 05:18 PM
Wow... I watched the entire game on television... wow.

--So, how does Edwards not win the Payton award... especially if he has a great season and leads ASU to an undefeated National Title Season?? I don't care what Santos or Cuff does... niether of them led a team into the Big House, and came out with a win versus the #5 Team in the country.

You don't win the award based on 1 game. What if he leads them to an undefeated season but only copmplete 50% of his passes and has 20 INTs is he still worth of the Payton Award just cause he beat Michigan?

katstrapper
September 1st, 2007, 05:24 PM
I love it when some of the ESPN announcers and analysts have to eat their words. Especially Mark May. That guy is an idiot. He had nothing good to say about App St., but all the excuses in the world as to why Michigan lost. Lou Holtz put him in his place though.

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 06:29 PM
I love it when some of the ESPN announcers and analysts have to eat their words. Especially Mark May. That guy is an idiot. He had nothing good to say about App St., but all the excuses in the world as to why Michigan lost. Lou Holtz put him in his place though.

good for Lou!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

BisonBacker
September 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM

I saw that too. The guy is certainly having a hard time admitting he was wrong. Lou did a great job and I have a great deal of respect for Lou for that. Did before but even more now.

lambertjr
September 1st, 2007, 08:49 PM
I love it when May has to grovel.

As for the student predictions....I guess that early career as a bookie isn't working out?xbawlingx

Mich Griz
September 1st, 2007, 09:04 PM
Lou coached at William and Mary....he knows

Appaholic
September 1st, 2007, 09:05 PM
nothing quite as satisfying as beating a bunch of pompous asses on their home field....and just think, they paid us $400k for that ass-whopping......ruined their season before it ever really started.....

ngineer
September 1st, 2007, 10:14 PM
xeyebrowx So were they expecting their kicker to miss all 7 XP's??

xlolx You beat me to it...says alot about the football knowledge of those people anyway to be writing such drivel..xnodx

Cobblestone
September 1st, 2007, 10:21 PM

This guy is the biggest idiot of them all.

John Borton meet Chris Berman.

Chris to John: "THAT'S why they play the game".

mtnralum
September 1st, 2007, 10:36 PM
nothing quite as satisfying as beating a bunch of pompous asses on their home field....and just think, they paid us $400k for that ass-whopping......ruined their season before it ever really started.....

Enough said! Who's got next!

BillLuc1982
September 1st, 2007, 10:47 PM
Tailgaters at Ohio Stadium were going crazy for ASU today!

chantster
September 1st, 2007, 10:48 PM
post the link too...not just the article.

Sorry, but I don't have a link. A friend emailed it to me. He said it came from The Wolverine, the student paper.

NDSUFREAK
September 1st, 2007, 10:50 PM
Tailgaters at Ohio Stadium were going crazy for ASU today!

geez, i could only imagine!! PSU students stayed after to watch App State block the field goal

therealbigredrules
September 1st, 2007, 11:05 PM
Michigan is eating "crow crow crow"

Or

Michigan is "cold cold cold"

Great Job ASU!