PDA

View Full Version : No Fluke

CaBisonFan
September 1st, 2007, 04:37 PM
App. State beating Michigan was no fluke. 'Major Upset' in terms of the traditional levels of play, within college football, might be accurate...but this certainly wasn't a fluke.

Upper-tier FCS teams will be able to play with almost any program, even though it's always on the turf of the bigger program. The exceptions would be some of the very elite programs like LSU, Florida, & USC...to name a few.

Both teams had their miscues and their share of bad luck.

ASU deserves a ton of credit. They played a very solid opening game against a powerful Michigan team...and 107,000 fans. Michigan will always be powerful because of their tradition and because they have a natural recruiting region to die for.

ASU was not intimidated. This was not even close to a fluke.

Personally...I don't even see it as a major upset. Still, it's a major deal for the FCS. It's a great day!

appst97
September 1st, 2007, 04:38 PM
Lou Holtz said that based on the two teams he saw.... there was no upset

ngineer
September 1st, 2007, 04:42 PM
Michigan didn't seem ready or expect the speed ASU brought..I fully agree this was not a fluke, but still an upset. A lot of mistakes get made in the first and second games of the season. Will be interesting to see how this impacts BOTH teams.

CID1990
September 1st, 2007, 04:45 PM
I was never surprised. My Dad called me from Boone (he is staying in Valle Crucis) and asked me how I knew ASU would win.

You gotta believe. The difference between FCS and FBS isn't as big as people (even FCS people) think.

CaBisonFan
September 1st, 2007, 04:46 PM

It's predictable...but espn, and other networks are playing this up as possibly the greatest upset in the history of college football. They're also talking fast and hard about how poorly Michigan played, and the horrible mistakes that they made.

Well...I'd say that when ASU watches the film, they'll rightfully say that they didn't play their best game either.

My feeling is that the major networks, and some of the upper-level teams in DI really don't like this at all. Take USC, for example, who has to play Michigan. Notre Dame has an interesting problem...as does the rest of the Big Ten. So they lose to Michigan...and what will be said about them?

But as in politics, the media will spin this as a MAJOR upset, to protect their big-program product. They might sound excited about the upset, but this sheds a new light on the traditional balance in all of college football.

Anyone that watched ASU in the championship game last year could have predicted that Michigan had a problem coming into this weekend.

Upset?

Not really.

Lloyd Carr has a career problem. He'll be the scapegoat.

NDSUFREAK
September 1st, 2007, 04:48 PM

he also said that App State was the better team rather than saying michigan didn't play well enough and it was their own fault they lost. Lou got a ton of respect from me today

CaBisonFan
September 1st, 2007, 04:50 PM
Michigan didn't seem ready or expect the speed ASU brought..I fully agree this was not a fluke, but still an upset. A lot of mistakes get made in the first and second games of the season. Will be interesting to see how this impacts BOTH teams.

I agree...but ASU had their share of miscues.

ncman071
September 1st, 2007, 05:06 PM
i agree. ASU had 2 INT's and a fumble to go along with a dropped TD catch and a missed fieldgoal albeit from 46 yds. but App still played a tremendous game. It was no fluke. However, it was definitly an upset. I am so proud of our program and our players. We just need to continue to focus and win every Saturday from here on out.

patssle
September 1st, 2007, 05:11 PM
The difference between FCS and FBS isn't as big as people (even FCS people) think.

Then why hasn't this happened before? Why did Youngstown get blown out by Ohio? When was the last time a FCS team beat a ranked FBS team?

App is the best school in the FCS to take on a FBS school, and they did. However there is a difference as not many other FCS school could do it too.

Gil Dobie
September 1st, 2007, 05:14 PM
Then why hasn't this happened before? Why did Youngstown get blown out by Ohio? When was the last time a FCS team beat a ranked FBS team?

The Top FBS Teams rarely play Top FCS Schools. This was Michigan's first game vs a FCS school

CaBisonFan
September 1st, 2007, 05:16 PM

App is the best school in the FCS to take on a FBS school, and they did. However there is a difference as not many other FCS school could do it too.

You have your point. If FCS teams could get some of these guys at their own stadium, the results would be pretty good. Right now...ASU is at a different level.

PantherRob82
September 1st, 2007, 05:37 PM
YSU almost beat a top25 marshall team

GRZZ
September 1st, 2007, 05:42 PM
The Top FBS Teams rarely play Top FCS Schools. This was Michigan's first game vs a FCS school

And probably their last.

KiddBrewer
September 1st, 2007, 05:50 PM
Best FCS (I-AA) team ever? ha just a thought....

mistersykes
September 1st, 2007, 05:58 PM

Maybe, but don't short-change the great teams of the past. Remember the past accomplishments of Georgia Southern and Youngstown State.

That said, you may be right. It's just too soon to tell!

Yosef84
September 1st, 2007, 06:12 PM

I heard that quote also. I loved it!

Thanks everyone for the support you've shown the Apps in this game!

proasu89
September 1st, 2007, 07:53 PM

without a doubt we are the best FCS...we are the only to have a trophy with that nomenclature. I-AA...not yet.

mainejeff
September 1st, 2007, 07:57 PM
Speed kills.

Gil Dobie
September 1st, 2007, 08:00 PM
Big Ten announcers for the Minnesota / Bowling Green game, said it wasn't a fluke. He said App St came to play.

Peems
September 1st, 2007, 08:01 PM
I heard that quote also. I loved it!

Thanks everyone for the support you've shown the Apps in this game!

you have all of FCS's support, just dont rub us the wrong way:D

JBB
September 1st, 2007, 08:04 PM
It will really change the way some team schedule. The FBS hates this. There could be more games like this if they werent so afraid of losing. Because FBS doesnt have a playoff they dont dare schedule anybody. Mich thought this was going to be a game of interest but a win.

No fluke. ASU had more speed and thier execution was great. Their defense physically was just as strong. Obviously it was an equal game. An upset to be sure, but next time maybe not such a surprise?

mainejeff
September 1st, 2007, 08:13 PM
Big Ten teams are pretty good match-ups for many FCS teams because of the speed factor.......many FCS teams have good team speed, while the Big Ten has always been known for its brawn rather than its quickness.

igo4uni
September 1st, 2007, 08:19 PM
It will really change the way some team schedule. The FBS hates this. There could be more games like this if they werent so afraid of losing. Because FBS doesnt have a playoff they dont dare schedule anybody.

A very good point. The FBS schools are a bunch of pussies.

lambertjr
September 1st, 2007, 08:25 PM
he also said that App State was the better team rather than saying michigan didn't play well enough and it was their own fault they lost. Lou got a ton of respect from me today

Mark May more than made up for Holtz not saying Michigan played bad.
I know this isn't an exact quote but his words were along the lines of 'Michigan wasn't prepared to play'.
Guess what Mark? That's not App St's problem. Michigan had a chance to win and they were beaten. End of story. No excuses.
I wonder what May would have said if Michigan would have been able to pull it out? They would probably be giving us some lame garbage about " how they came in and played their hearts out".
This is the best part. Michigan PAYED App St. to come play this game!!! HAHAHAHAHAxlolx xlolx xlolx

ngineer
September 1st, 2007, 10:17 PM

And probably their last. Fritz Crisler and Bo must be spinning in their caskets..:D

GannonFan
September 1st, 2007, 10:43 PM

Well, if the FCS rarely plays the top of the FBS, and rather just plays the bottom of the FBS, why then do we still not have more wins? Each year there are a small handful, but in a lot of years there are more FCS losses to DII than there are FCS wins over FBS. This is a huge, huge, huge win - heck, it's the greatest upset in the history of college football - but let's not pretend that this could happen all the time - there's way too much evidence to say that it doesn't and it diminishes what Appy St just did.

darussian12
September 1st, 2007, 10:57 PM
ohh common, if you think this wasn't a flluke/upset then you gotta be wearing the rose colored FCS glasses. I was impressed with Appys win and pretty much blown away but if you really think if you line up their teams and UM doesnt win 9/10 then lay off the crack. appy pulled it off and pretty much did what i couldnt imagine tx state doing to a top 25 BCS team never mind a top 5, in the next decade but this isnt some win that ssays a top flight FCS school is anywhere on par with a top flight BCS school. I give my congrats to appy and I agree that it's pretty much the biggest upset in football over the last few decades. Congrats again and hopefully we see you in the playoffs