PDA

View Full Version : Mo State Bears freshmen come up big in collegiate debuts

ShowMeBear2
August 31st, 2007, 06:55 PM
Bears freshmen come up big in collegiate debuts

Youngsters aren't getting cocky after big showings in Missouri State rout.

Kyle Neddenriep
News-Leader

Kingjack Washington dodged the question at first, but then admitted what was obvious to the 11,062 fans at Plaster Sports Complex on Thursday.
This one was easy. Even for a freshman who couldn't bring himself to fall asleep until 3 a.m. the night before the game.

Washington, a lightning-quick freshman running back from Owasso, Okla., was one of 10 true freshmen to play in their first college game as Missouri State pummeled overwhelmed Division II Missouri-Rolla 62-17.

The results were nice for the 5-foot-8 Washington in his first outing — 60 yards on seven carries and a touchdown — but even a rookie could tell that this wasn't worth sticking your chest out over.

"The linemen opened up some huge holes," Washington said. "They told us just to make somebody miss and that was our job. We executed it pretty good."

Though senior running back Gerald Davis stole the spotlight by tying for a school record with four rushing touchdowns and going for 110 yards on 15 carries, the next three running backs on the depth chart — all freshmen — were just as effective. Stephen Johnston, a 205-pound bruiser from Arlington, Texas, went for 78 yards on nine carries and a score and redshirt freshman Jonathan Davis cleaned up late with a team-high 113 yards on 19 carries.

Helping pave the way for his classmates was David Arkin, a true freshman who made his first start at right guard. And in a rarity for an offensive lineman, Arkin was noticed by the fans for something other than committing a penalty. On what turned out to be a 59-yard screen pass pick-up from Matt Krapfl to Tamarkus McElvane, Arkin got ahead of the wide receiver in the open field and knocked a safety off his feet.

"That was pretty cool," Arkin said with a laugh. "I saw the safety and went up and cut him. I didn't know (McElvane) was right behind me. That was really exciting for an offensive lineman who is usually in the trenches."

But even the freshmen know a much, much tough road awaits. Just next week looms a road trip to Tennessee-Martin, a team ranked in the preseason top-25.

"After the game I started getting nervous about that one already," Arkin said. "It will just keep getting tougher from there."