August 30th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Looks like we will be without a certain WR for the dsu game Saturday. xnonono2x

A&B is the reason apparently

sure it's not B&E?

ChickenMan
August 30th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Looks like we will be without a certain WR for the dsu game Saturday. xnonono2x

A&B is the reason apparently

I think the Hornets may 'sting' CCU Saturday night.

CoastalFan2005
August 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Keep in mind, this is sort of a "breaking" story...we just heard about it on CoastalFans from a poster who heard it through a friend. Not saying I don't trust the source, just saying that I'm still holding out hope that maybe this rumor isn't true. xbawlingx

Lehigh Football Nation
August 30th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what is A&B?

th0m
August 30th, 2007, 02:16 PM
And is it Simpson?

MarkCCU
August 30th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Assault and Battery.

Please don't be Simpson!

MarkCCU
August 30th, 2007, 02:27 PM
be a little more forthcoming. Who is it?

UNHWildCats
August 30th, 2007, 02:32 PM
No one said who on coastalfans but the name Rome is being suggested there.

bodoyle
August 30th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I am not sure who it is, but that is what the speculation is for right now.

I posted this on CoastalFans as well:

ASSUMING IT IS 'ROME: I think CDB is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he doesn't, it could perk the NC2A's interest, and every team we play will b---- and moan about it, imagine the classy csu fans. If he does suspend him for Saturday, then the team will suffer, us fans will not be happy (we would understand but not be happy).

bodoyle
August 30th, 2007, 02:59 PM
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/111/story/173175.html

Charged with simple assault

"...Simpson will play in Coastal Carolina's opener at Delaware State on Saturday, athletic department spokesman John Martin said..."

bodoyle
August 30th, 2007, 03:01 PM
sure it's not B&E?

I dont even know what that is unless you are speaking of breaking & entering.

bodoyle
August 30th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I think the Hornets may 'sting' CCU Saturday night.

But you want to change your opinion now, since Simp. will play right? xnodx xnodx xnodx

citdog
August 30th, 2007, 03:09 PM
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/111/story/173175.html

Charged with simple assault

"...Simpson will play in Coastal Carolina's opener at Delaware State on Saturday, athletic department spokesman John Martin said..."

that's terrible. he shouldn't be anywhere near the field.

rokamortis
August 30th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Much like what fans of other schools say in situations ... wait to see all of the details before jumping to conclusions. We barely know any facts at this point.

Bud2003
August 30th, 2007, 03:19 PM
that's terrible. he shouldn't be anywhere near the field.

A lil' early, no one knows what went down. Well at least no one on these boards.

citdog
August 30th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Much like what fans of other schools say in situations ... wait to see all of the details before jumping to conclusions. We barely know any facts at this point.

we know he was at J. Rueben Long this morning...................that's enough for me.

CCU97
August 30th, 2007, 03:30 PM
It doesn't state that he was at J. Rueben Long...It states that a warrant was filed on Thursday morning with the magistrates office....which means anyone can walk in and say he hit them and as long as they are willing to state that under oath charges can be filed....proving them doesn't have to be done in order for a warrant to be served. As a matter of fact nothing has to be proven....I had to go to court for a noise ordinance issue when I lived in Charleston because my neighbor said my dog barked all the time....once the facts came out it was proven that the dog didn't bark and that the neighbor had no proof....was I guilty before I went to trial not at all....

citdog
August 30th, 2007, 03:48 PM
It doesn't state that he was at J. Rueben Long...It states that a warrant was filed on Thursday morning with the magistrates office....which means anyone can walk in and say he hit them and as long as they are willing to state that under oath charges can be filed....proving them doesn't have to be done in order for a warrant to be served. As a matter of fact nothing has to be proven....I had to go to court for a noise ordinance issue when I lived in Charleston because my neighbor said my dog barked all the time....once the facts came out it was proven that the dog didn't bark and that the neighbor had no proof....was I guilty before I went to trial not at all....

gives me an idea for when APP cpmes to town. I swear Armanti Edwards hit me in the face Judge!

CCU97
August 30th, 2007, 04:02 PM
and he should play too...until he does actually get proven guilty of hitting you after you send him to County lock up in Chas....you would deserve it then...walked through there with my roomie when I lived there....he was a N. Chas. cop...dang if that place wasn't disgusting and wall to wall people.

SuperJon
August 30th, 2007, 04:18 PM
The article has changed and said the incident report said that Simpson "did intentionally commit battery upon the victim by hitting her in the head, slapping with an open hand and again with a closed fist."

CCU97
August 30th, 2007, 04:43 PM
yes SJ....and the articles said the Duke lacross players raped the stripper....hmmm.....teaches us to believe everything a newspaper writes....let the FACTS come out and then hang him if he did it....

ChickenMan
August 30th, 2007, 05:09 PM
But you want to change your opinion now, since Simp. will play right? xnodx xnodx xnodx

My prediction stands and it has nothing to do with Simpson. Also the fact that he is still going to play despite the arrest is a debate for another time.

SuperJon
August 30th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Just added:

"During the assault, Simpson hit a glass picture frame, about [24 by 30 inches], breaking it and cutting his hand,'' the incident report stated. Simpson had left the scene before Simpson arrived.

bodoyle
August 30th, 2007, 05:31 PM
CMan, I understand where you are coming from, but I don't think you can suspend him until he is found guilty. From what I heard on our board, the charges were dropped.

If he is/was found guilty, then suspend him, absolutely, no arguments from me, but until then, I don't think you can.

SuperJon
August 30th, 2007, 05:44 PM
If the girlfriend backs out and doesn't press charges (how she's still dating him after he punched her is beyond me) then there's nothing you can do. He has to play.

youwouldno
August 30th, 2007, 05:59 PM
No, it is not true that he "has to play." It's up the coach... he can play or not play whom he chooses.

SuperJon
August 30th, 2007, 06:03 PM
He'll play.

CCUBeachChicken
August 30th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Girlfriend plans to drop charges. Says it was a misunderstanding.

MarkCCU
August 31st, 2007, 06:36 AM
Girlfriend knows she'll be in a world of hell if she's the cause a star player doesn't play.

Leave judgement up to those that have the power. If he's innocent, let the kid play.

CSU Girl
August 31st, 2007, 10:54 AM
Real classy, although this story sounds just right for Simpson's character and the way CCU handles the situation. Not surprised, although I thought coach Bennett would have higher standards for his guys. Simpson wont learn unless he is disciplined properly. He represents CCU, you all should expect more from your players. The amazing part is you all know its true because in the begining of this string you all were saying "please don't let it be Simpson." So you know yourselves he lacks character. It is David Bennett and CCU's responsibility to help develope men of character but if you keep letting them get away with everything without consequences they will never learn. These are the type of men you want to train and represent your school? These are the type of men you want to send out into the world and lead our future?

walliver
August 31st, 2007, 11:47 AM
"During the assault, Simpson hit a glass picture frame, about [24 by 30 inches], breaking it and cutting his hand,'' the incident report stated. Simpson had left the scene before Simpson arrived

That's an amazing feat, maybe that's why he's such a good receiver.

Footix
August 31st, 2007, 12:08 PM
Statement from Coastal Carolina University President David A. DeCenzo

A Coastal Carolina University student-athlete, Jerome Simpson, has been
accused of a very serious offense involving the assault and battery of a
female. The University is aware that Mr. Simpson, at this point, is only
accused and presumes that he is innocent until proven guilty. Additionally,
the University's football coach, David Bennett, has spoken with Mr. Simpson and with Mr. Simpson's girlfriend, the alleged victim, and has been advised by the alleged victim that Mr. Simpson did not strike her but only struck a glass picture frame during the incident.

Given the circumstances and the conflicting reports, the University cannot
justify any disciplinary action against Mr. Simpson at this time. Any
punitive measures would be premature without more substantial evidence and would be most unfair to Mr. Simpson.

The University does not condone violent behavior and believes that violence against women is especially repugnant. If clear substantiating evidence is ultimately presented, the University will take appropriate measures as it would in any instance where a student has exhibited violent behavior.

CCU97
August 31st, 2007, 12:26 PM
Real classy, although this story sounds just right for Simpson's character and the way CCU handles the situation. Not surprised, although I thought coach Bennett would have higher standards for his guys. Simpson wont learn unless he is disciplined properly. He represents CCU, you all should expect more from your players. The amazing part is you all know its true because in the begining of this string you all were saying "please don't let it be Simpson." So you know yourselves he lacks character. It is David Bennett and CCU's responsibility to help develope men of character but if you keep letting them get away with everything without consequences they will never learn. These are the type of men you want to train and represent your school? These are the type of men you want to send out into the world and lead our future?

The reason many were saying please don't let it be Simpson is because on the Coastal Fans.com website it was leaked early by someone with knowledge that a high profile player was facing charges....that would be Simpson...the only high-profile player on the team right now....As for his guilt....read the statement released by the University....let the justice system run its course and then deal with the issue just as the NFL did with Vick and Duke should have done with lacross....guilty or innocent is not for us to determine until any facts are given....currently there are no facts...had there been overwhelming evidence the cops would have picked him up last Friday when the incident happened...or at least Monday they would have gotten him at Coastal...it isn't like he is hard to find on campus. Right now you have 3 versions of the story...her first side...her second side...and his side...somewhere in the middle is probably the truth...if he abused her he should be dismissed from the team and the school....if nothing comes from this(and that is what it looks like) then he will continue to play and attend CCU....It isn't like he was an professor who stole money from the college and was dismissed once they found out.... xeekx No facts have been given yet.

walliver
August 31st, 2007, 12:31 PM
Statement from Coastal Carolina University President David A. DeCenzo

A Coastal Carolina University student-athlete, Jerome Simpson, has been
accused of a very serious offense involving the assault and battery of a
female. The University is aware that Mr. Simpson, at this point, is only
accused and presumes that he is innocent until proven guilty. Additionally,
the University's football coach, David Bennett, has spoken with Mr. Simpson and with Mr. Simpson's girlfriend, the alleged victim, and has been advised by the alleged victim that Mr. Simpson did not strike her but only struck a glass picture frame during the incident.

Given the circumstances and the conflicting reports, the University cannot
justify any disciplinary action against Mr. Simpson at this time. Any
punitive measures would be premature without more substantial evidence and would be most unfair to Mr. Simpson.

The University does not condone violent behavior and believes that violence against women is especially repugnant. If clear substantiating evidence is ultimately presented, the University will take appropriate measures as it would in any instance where a student has exhibited violent behavior.

Regardless of your feelings about this particular matter, it is dangerous for a football coach to intervene in a criminal investigation. He has effectively accused the girlfriend of filing a false police report. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

ChickenMan
August 31st, 2007, 12:34 PM
That's an amazing feat, maybe that's why he's such a good receiver.

xlolx :D xlolx .... xthumbsupx

HensRock
August 31st, 2007, 12:40 PM
It isn't like he was an professor who stole money from the college and was dismissed once they found out....

xnonono2x

No. The way I see it, it's more like he was a professor who stole money and WASN'T dismissed once they found out.

Tealblood
August 31st, 2007, 01:07 PM
xnonono2x

No. The way I see it, it's more like he was a professor who stole money and WASN'T dismissed once they found out.

I don't think you get the joke

CCU97
August 31st, 2007, 01:27 PM
xnonono2x

Currently if you read the up to date information the girlfriend has retracted her claim that he hit her....he hit a picture in the house and that is what her statement was to our coach.....not like you can suspend a guy for that.....afterall it was his picture to hit....as the President said...none of us condone hitting a female....but without facts(proof) you can't suspend someone....

CCU97
August 31st, 2007, 01:28 PM
And no Teal I am sure he didn't get the joke....but CSUgirl will know what I was talking about....Hen....a CSU business prof stole money from the schools scholarship foundation as they allowed him to make investments for the school and he robbed them and others blind...then happened to have amnesia(sp) when the cops came for him....

bodoyle
August 31st, 2007, 01:33 PM
teal, 97 he doesn't get the joke, but that's ok.

And there is nothing CCU can do if he is not proven guilty.

JUST AN EXAMPLE: If I slapped or hit 97's wife/gf, she files a report, and then cooler heads prevail and doesn't want to press charges, there isn't anything anyone can do. 97 can hunt me down like the dawg I would be xnodx , but I couldn't be suspended from a team etc.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2007, 02:04 PM
It's not at all true that there's "nothing CCU can do". The head coach has the final say and can absolutely kick someone off the team for "violating team rules". Villanova's Andy Talley had this happen to him - some girl pressed r-word charges on some freshmen players, later said she didn't want to press charges - but he brought the Hammer of Thor down on them and kicked them off the team. Ultimately, the coach is responsible as to whether they should play or not.

Andy Talley's decision I respect more and more as time goes by. The brass of CCU here? Not so much.

SuperJon
August 31st, 2007, 02:27 PM
Gotta stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

rokamortis
August 31st, 2007, 02:29 PM
It's not at all true that there's "nothing CCU can do". The head coach has the final say and can absolutely kick someone off the team for "violating team rules". Villanova's Andy Talley had this happen to him - some girl pressed r-word charges on some freshmen players, later said she didn't want to press charges - but he brought the Hammer of Thor down on them and kicked them off the team. Ultimately, the coach is responsible as to whether they should play or not.

Andy Talley's decision I respect more and more as time goes by. The brass of CCU here? Not so much.

What if the guys at Villanova were innocent? You respect punishing someone who is innocent than waiting for all of the facts to be found out? Especially when the accuser tells the coach it was a mistake?

SuperJon
August 31st, 2007, 02:35 PM
If it's a team rule that "If you're arrested, you're off the team" then I have no problem with it. Every team has rules. You break em, you're gone. I don't know Coastal's team rules.

Tealblood
August 31st, 2007, 03:43 PM
for what it is worth Jon he was never arrested the event happened last week and he reported for the hearing yesterday. Although a technicality he would have been very easy to find if they had thought an arrest was necessary anytime from last Friday till thursday morning its not like he is an unrecognizable person on the CCU campus.

bodoyle
August 31st, 2007, 03:47 PM
So 'Nova's team rule is anyone who has charges pressed against them is off the team? I hope their rivals don't find this out and then get their g/f to start pressing charges. They will have to get walk-ons in a hurry! xrolleyesx

Appstate29
August 31st, 2007, 06:02 PM
What if the guys at Villanova were innocent? You respect punishing someone who is innocent than waiting for all of the facts to be found out? Especially when the accuser tells the coach it was a mistake?

I wouldn't have a problem with this if she told the POLICE this and not the coach, with the coach doing the mediating, it sounds a bit fishy.

rokamortis
August 31st, 2007, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with this if she told the POLICE this and not the coach, with the coach doing the mediating, it sounds a bit fishy.

Bennett isn't doing the mediating - she just came by to tell him what happened. All accounts are that she has told police this as well.

CCUBeachChicken
August 31st, 2007, 07:54 PM
For those who are saying he should be suspended, think about this. Say you were in this situation. If you were indeed innocent of committing a crime, would you think that you should play.

Not to say that he is, for sure, innocent, but if he is, why not let him play?

After all, we're all innocent until proven guilty.