PDA

View Full Version : Mo State Bears record prediction

ShowMeBear2
August 30th, 2007, 09:22 AM
The crystal ball

Kyle Neddenriep

Post Comment

Lyndal Scranton and I went through the Bears’ football schedule game-by-game in our weekly podcast on Wednesday. I have the Bears going 4-7, Lyndal says 5-6. I had the Bears beating Missouri-Rolla, Western Illinois, Indiana State and Southeast Missouri State. Lyndal says the wins will come against UMR, Central Arkansas, Indiana State, Northern Iowa and SEMO.

Here’s what I had for projected scores:

Missouri-Rolla, Thursday: Division II school has good offense, shaky defense. WR Ashton Gronewold is the real deal at wide receiver, racking up 289 all-purpose yards last week in a 38-31 loss to Truman State. Miners beat the Bears 27-16 in last meeting between the schools in 1980. I’ll say Missouri State 48-20.

At Tennessee-Martin, Sept. 6: Ranked No. 18 and 22 in preseason polls. Were 9-3 last year under Jason Simpson, a former offense coordinator at Chattanooga and Southern Mississippi graduate. Won Ohio Valley Conference title last year. Ranked No. 6 in country in total defense last year. RB Donald Chapman rushed for 1,412 yards last year. Tough first road test. UT-Martin 35-17

At Kansas State, Sept. 15: Seven starters back on offense, including sophomore QB Josh Freeman. This is the Bears’ yearly guarantee money game against a BCS conference team. Wildcats were 7-6 last year and picked solidly for third in Big 12 North behind Missouri and Nebraska. Key is to avoid injuries. Kansas State 45-14.

Central Arkansas, Sept. 22 — Beat Bears 16-14 last year in UCA’s first home game as a Division-I program in front of over 11,000 fans. Former D-2 power. Went 8-3 a year ago. Actually play Tennesee-Martin a week before coming to Springfield. Return eight starters on offense, just two on defense. Nathan Brown junior QB threw for over 1,800 yards and 18 touchdowns. Lost 12 of top 13 tacklers from last year. Key game. UCA 27-24

Youngstown State, Sept. 29 — Missouri State led 10-9 last year at halftime, then saw the roof cave in for a 37-10 loss. Picked for third in Gateway, just behind Illinois State. Senior Tom Zetts back at QB. Mychal Savage All-American DL. Have 21 seniors on the roster and ranked No. 5 in preseason poll. Averaged over 31 points a game last year and have seven starters back on offense. Went 11-3 last year, losing in national semifinals. If any game looks like a loss in the Gateway, it’s this one. YSU 42-17

Illinois State, Oct. 6 — Redbirds dominated last year 38-14. Ranked NO. 7 in preseason poll. Four offense players on preseason All-Gateway team, including QB Luke Drone, who led ISU to 9-4 record last year and second round of playoffs (lost to YSU 28-21). Five starters back on defense. Transfers from Iowa State and Kansas State at RB with four starters back on OL. Looks like a tough one. ISU 31-21

At Western Illinois, Oct. 13 — Big pick-me-up win for Bears on last day of season last year, coming back for a 24-21 win with two fourth-quarter touchdowns. WIU finished 5-6. Seven starters back on defense that struggled big-time last year, giving up 24 points or more in eight games. RB Herb Donaldson rushed for 1,417 yards as a sophomore. Picked for fifth in Gateway. Picking the upset. MSU 28-27

At Southern Illinois, Oct. 20 — SIU won 27-17 last year. Salukis went 9-4 last year, losing to Montana in second round of playoffs. Picked No. 12 in preseason poll and fourth in Gateway. QB Nick Hill returns, completed 62 percent of passes for 1,721 yards and 15 TDs. Arkee Whitlock rushed for 1,828 yards and 25 TDs last year, likely replaced by Kansas transfer John Randle. Only five starters back on defense, but looking for fifth straight playoff appearance. Doormat to powerhouse, what MSU is trying to accomplish. SIU 31-14

Indiana State, Oct. 27 — Bad (awful) loss to the Sycamores last year, 28-22 on the road, Indiana State’s lone win in a 1-10 season. Got the offense rolling last year with QB Reilly Murphy and RB Tony West. Defense couldn’t stop anyone – except the Bears – giving up 60, 31, 59, 48, 55, 34, 22, 41, 46 and 42 points in other games. Must-win game. Bears will. MSU 38-24

Northern Iowa, Nov. 3 — Picked to win the Gateway after missing playoffs with a 7-4 record. Have 17 starters back, eight on offense and nine on defense. QB Eric Sanders back again after a somewhat-down season with 1,934 yards and 15 TDs. RB Corey Lewis rushed for 894 yareds last year. Darian Wiliams also back after rushing for 653 yards. Bears lost 38-7 last year in Terry Allen’s return to UNI. Panthers lead all-time series 22-5 mostly because of Allen. Possible upset? No telling how Bears will be feeling at this point. UNI 27-20.

Southeast Missouri State, Nov. 10 — SEMO was 4-7 last year and just 2-6 in Ohio Valley under first-year coach Tony Samuel (former Nebraska player and assistant). Weird ending to season. Added nonconference game because of Western Kentucky going to I-A and leaving Gateway. Bears won 45-21 in 2005, last meeting between teams. Bears go out a winner with something to look forward to next season. MSU 38-17

Is 4-7 enough to get you excited about the future? Any other projected records?