PDA

View Full Version : Return to game action a victory in itself for Missouri State QB

ShowMeBear2
August 30th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Krapfl's successful journey

Return to game action a victory in itself for Missouri State QB

Lyndal Scranton
News-Leader

Ten months after rolling around the UNI-Dome turf in pain, the only noticeable reminder is the knee brace.
Big and bulky and swallowing his right knee, Matt Krapfl hates it.

"I can't wait to get it off sometime," Missouri State's sophomore quarterback said. "I don't know when the doctors will let me. We'll see."

But Krapfl will be more than happy to lug the brace around tonight when he jogs onto the Plaster Sports Complex field.

Getting to play at all, let alone reclaiming his job as Bears' starting quarterback in the season opener, is triumph itself for Krapfl.

"It's definitely going to be a fun night," Krapfl said of the 7 p.m. kickoff against Missouri-Rolla. "It's been a really long rehab process.

"I'm just really glad to get back out there."

Krapfl is one of many interesting angles tonight as coach Terry Allen's second Missouri State season begins.

Around 20 freshmen could see playing time against an old Division II opponent. UMR leads the series 29-26 and won the last meeting, in 1980. Miners coach Kirby Cannon was on that Missouri State team.

"It's time to play and ... see what happens," Allen said.

Krapfl earned the starting quarterback job with a solid preseason, though freshman Cody Kirby also will play.

"I know the coaches are going to put somebody in the right position to make plays," Krapfl said of his position. "It's not really too difficult to share."

Especially when he flashes back to last October when he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee at Northern Iowa.

It meant season-ending knee surgery and a long road of rehabilitation for Krapfl to have a chance of playing again.

But he never had any doubts about that, he said.

"The trainers did a really good job. I just had to keep my head up," Krapfl said. "I give all the credit to them, really."

Athletic trainer Steve Sawchak said Krapfl was a model student who attacked his rehab with a vengeance.

"He never felt sorry for himself," Sawchak said. "We didn't have to worry about motivating him. Those are the fun ones to work with.

"And we all should thank Dr. (Rick) Seagrave. The training staff couldn't have done it without Dr. Seagrave putting him back together."

Krapfl limped through spring practice, restricted to individual work. But he came into fall camp eager to impress and has adapted well to new offensive coordinator Rob Christophel's no-huddle scheme.

Allen said Krapfl is better now than before his injury.

"His experience and his headiness make him better now than when he was playing a year ago," Allen said.

Krapfl said he has lost some foot speed — not that he had a lot to begin with. Upper-body strength work, after the knee surgery, has improved his throwing in both velocity and distance.

"He has an awful strong arm and I think he's an awfully poised individual," Christophel said. "He just has good football knowledge.

"The biggest thing —and I have to remember this — his experience is limited. He got four or five games of experience last year and that's all he got.

"He's still a little wet behind the ears, but ... he understands what we're trying to do and as time goes on he gains confidence."

Krapfl's biggest fault might be his own expectations. An admitted perfectionist, he has set goals that will be tough to achieve.

"I don't want to make any mental errors," he said. "I hate throwing incomplete passes and I hate making bad plays.

"I'm expecting myself to play perfect, basically."