PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky power rankings

JALMOND
August 27th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Much like what Ken Goe, sports columnist does for the Pac-10 in the Oregonian, and similar to what I did last year before my computer blew up, I will be providing my own list of rankings where I believe the teams in the Big Sky are at in the conference. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion, all open to discussion, and not sanctioned to any publication. I will update them each week based on the outcomes of the previous weeks ballgames. Going into week 1, here the first list...

1. Montana---Hands down the number one pick in the conference. The Grizzlies had to enjoy the off field incidents and coaching changes within the conference that moved them further ahead of the rest. Time will tell if this year is just a one-horse conference, but the Griz should be the favorite in all the games they play. Not only a strong nucleus returning, but they welcome back Lex Hilliard, their all purpose runner who was lost all last year due to injury. First game of the year against Southern Utah should be a cakewalk, as most of the games.

2. Portland State---New coach, new philosophy, same team. The Vikings had all spring and summer to get acquainted with the run and shoot brought in by former Viking HC Mouse Davis, and also Glanville brought his defense to Portland, too. Do they have it down? They need to. A trip to Bayou country starts them off as they go to McNeese State this week. The Vikings were 7-1 against the Southland with Walsh. Will it continue with Glanville/Davis?

3. Montana State---Probably the biggest question mark in the conference. The Bobcats have the talent and the opportunity to go after the Griz this year, but bringing in a new coach after spring ball can not help. What changes have happened? What changes will happen? Cats move up to FBS level this weekend with a trip to College Station against Texas A&M. Then again no one picked a win against Colorado last year.

4. Northern Arizona---The Jacks have quietly been moving up the list in the offseason, thanks to the turmoil in the conference. Now that the season is here, they can make even more noise. A daunting non conference game at Appalachian State is on the horizon, but the Jacks do have Montana at home this year. A break here and there and the Jacks could make some noise. A breakthrough year is a must for Alex Watson. It all starts this weekend at home against Western New Mexico.

5. Eastern Washington---Interesting starting spot for the Eagles this year, but a good spot after last years dismal season. Eagles are ready to put that behind them. Still, maybe a year away, but they are a team never to count out. Always a tough game at Cheney and they give the Griz fits in Missoula (which is where this year's game is). Easy game this weekend against Montana-Western should get them started on the right foot.

6. Weber State---Another team that avoided most of the problems in the conference during the offseason and emerged as a possible sleeper pick in the conference. An ugly start to the year may prove otherwise (at Boise State, at Cal Poly), but that undoubtably will get the Wildcats primed for the conference. Still, starting this week at Boise State will be tough, but Portland State stayed with the Broncos two years ago. Can the Wildcats?

7. Idaho State---Last year was bad. This could be worse. Little in the way of returnees has the Bengals starting from scratch. An extra week of preparation will not hurt as they are not scheduled to play until next week. Will it help? Can anything help?

8. Northern Colorado---Yeah, trendy pick here, but the Bears were competitive in conference last year and got a win against Southland foe Texas State. Best thing to do is keep improving in the Big Sky and the Bears, in their second year, have a chance to do that. Yet, last year's punter situation is still prevalent in Greeley and it is unsure if that will be a distraction. A paid trip to Hawaii is always nice, even at the end of August.

9. Sacramento State---The Hornets, surprising, looked good last year, playing close and getting some wins. Unfortunately, that was last year. This year does not come close. Not much returning and a schedule that does not have a home game until the last week of September may be too much. It starts this week at Fresno State. Nowhere to go but up.

Like I said, just my opinon and all open for discussion. Just where I see the teams in the Big Sky right now. Tough to do as no one has played any games yet. Pretty much pure speculation.

catbob
August 28th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I would put ISU where you put them, but I don't think it is as dismal as you say. Their new coach knows his stuff, and the Bengals could be much improved from last year.

Cleets
August 28th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Didn't Sacramento State roll the Bobcats last year..?
(Maybe I'm just imagining that)

I would put Sac up a notch (or two) speed & young talent
Montana State down a notch (or two) Too much nonsense

other than that...who knows

McNeese_beat
August 28th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Much like what Ken Goe, sports columnist does for the Pac-10 in the Oregonian, and similar to what I did last year before my computer blew up, I will be providing my own list of rankings where I believe the teams in the Big Sky are at in the conference. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion, all open to discussion, and not sanctioned to any publication. I will update them each week based on the outcomes of the previous weeks ballgames. Going into week 1, here the first list...

1. Montana---Hands down the number one pick in the conference. The Grizzlies had to enjoy the off field incidents and coaching changes within the conference that moved them further ahead of the rest. Time will tell if this year is just a one-horse conference, but the Griz should be the favorite in all the games they play. Not only a strong nucleus returning, but they welcome back Lex Hilliard, their all purpose runner who was lost all last year due to injury. First game of the year against Southern Utah should be a cakewalk, as most of the games.

2. Portland State---New coach, new philosophy, same team. The Vikings had all spring and summer to get acquainted with the run and shoot brought in by former Viking HC Mouse Davis, and also Glanville brought his defense to Portland, too. Do they have it down? They need to. A trip to Bayou country starts them off as they go to McNeese State this week. The Vikings were 7-1 against the Southland with Walsh. Will it continue with Glanville/Davis?

3. Montana State---Probably the biggest question mark in the conference. The Bobcats have the talent and the opportunity to go after the Griz this year, but bringing in a new coach after spring ball can not help. What changes have happened? What changes will happen? Cats move up to FBS level this weekend with a trip to College Station against Texas A&M. Then again no one picked a win against Colorado last year.

4. Northern Arizona---The Jacks have quietly been moving up the list in the offseason, thanks to the turmoil in the conference. Now that the season is here, they can make even more noise. A daunting non conference game at Appalachian State is on the horizon, but the Jacks do have Montana at home this year. A break here and there and the Jacks could make some noise. A breakthrough year is a must for Alex Watson. It all starts this weekend at home against Western New Mexico.

5. Eastern Washington---Interesting starting spot for the Eagles this year, but a good spot after last years dismal season. Eagles are ready to put that behind them. Still, maybe a year away, but they are a team never to count out. Always a tough game at Cheney and they give the Griz fits in Missoula (which is where this year's game is). Easy game this weekend against Montana-Western should get them started on the right foot.

6. Weber State---Another team that avoided most of the problems in the conference during the offseason and emerged as a possible sleeper pick in the conference. An ugly start to the year may prove otherwise (at Boise State, at Cal Poly), but that undoubtably will get the Wildcats primed for the conference. Still, starting this week at Boise State will be tough, but Portland State stayed with the Broncos two years ago. Can the Wildcats?

7. Idaho State---Last year was bad. This could be worse. Little in the way of returnees has the Bengals starting from scratch. An extra week of preparation will not hurt as they are not scheduled to play until next week. Will it help? Can anything help?

8. Northern Colorado---Yeah, trendy pick here, but the Bears were competitive in conference last year and got a win against Southland foe Texas State. Best thing to do is keep improving in the Big Sky and the Bears, in their second year, have a chance to do that. Yet, last year's punter situation is still prevalent in Greeley and it is unsure if that will be a distraction. A paid trip to Hawaii is always nice, even at the end of August.

9. Sacramento State---The Hornets, surprising, looked good last year, playing close and getting some wins. Unfortunately, that was last year. This year does not come close. Not much returning and a schedule that does not have a home game until the last week of September may be too much. It starts this week at Fresno State. Nowhere to go but up.

Like I said, just my opinon and all open for discussion. Just where I see the teams in the Big Sky right now. Tough to do as no one has played any games yet. Pretty much pure speculation.

I always think the Big Sky is an underrated league because you are out there by yourselves and you have parity. Some pretty good teams don't make the playoffs because they get 2-3 losses in the league and wind up 7-4 or 6-5. PSU last year was very good at 7-4. Montana State proved how good they are by beating Furman (of course, home field and the snow helped) in the first round.

GOKATS
August 28th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Didn't Sacramento State roll the Bobcats last year..?
(Maybe I'm just imagining that)

I would put Sac up a notch (or two) speed & young talent
Montana State down a notch (or two) Too much nonsense

other than that...who knows

The Cats beat Sac. St. 21-18 last year at Sac. I'd flip flop Sac & Northern Colorado, but the rest look about right going into the season.

AZGrizFan
August 28th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Big Sky "power" rankings.....kind of an oxymoron, huh 89Hen? xrolleyesx ;) ;) ;)

BTW: Nice job, JALMOND. I don't know if I agree with Sac State's position, but I definitely agree with where you have Montana. xnodx xnodx xnodx xlolx xlolx xcoffeex

Cleets
August 28th, 2007, 10:59 AM
The Cats beat Sac. St. 21-18 last year at Sac. I'd flip flop Sac & Northern Colorado, but the rest look about right going into the season.

I saw them blow out a favored Big Sky team last year in Sac (on TV) it was impressive...

Eastern Wa.. (maybe) I'll do some checking...

AZGrizFan
August 28th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I also think NAU and MSU are flipped....

UM
PSU/NAU
NAU/PSU
MSU
EWU
Weber
ISU/Sac
Sac/ISU
UNC

MPLSGRIZZLY
August 28th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I always think the Big Sky is an underrated league because you are out there by yourselves and you have parity. Some pretty good teams don't make the playoffs because they get 2-3 losses in the league and wind up 7-4 or 6-5. PSU last year was very good at 7-4. Montana State proved how good they are by beating Furman (of course, home field and the snow helped) in the first round.

Finally someone outside the BSC gives us some respect!

Although I do hate the Griz OOC schedule this year, the league is not near as bad as many people think.

89Hen
August 28th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Big Sky "power" rankings.....kind of an oxymoron, huh 89Hen? xrolleyesx ;) ;) ;)
See, you just beg me to smack all the time. But I will refrain.

I think Jalmond did a very good job with this. xthumbsupx xbowx

Ronbo
August 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Sac. State returns 9 starters from one of the better Defenses in 2006. They will be Offensively challenged though. I put them above ISU and UNC.

CopperCat
August 28th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I also think NAU and MSU are flipped....

UM
PSU/NAU
NAU/PSU
MSU
EWU
Weber
ISU/Sac
Sac/ISU
UNC

Oh, so now you are actually buying into that vaunted defense crap?xrolleyesx xsmiley_wix

AZGrizFan
August 28th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Oh, so now you are actually buying into that vaunted defense crap?xrolleyesx xsmiley_wix

Not really, but thanks for noticing. xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

Besides, it's the PASS RUSH, not the entire defense that's vaunted, according to Jacks76 (i.e., Paul), who seems to have disappeared as the season approaches.

Casey_Orourke
August 28th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I am going out on a limb and say that the Big Sky is the Griz's to lose. However, with PSU picked to be second, we too will have as large a target on our backs as Montana's because they will want to prove themselves against both Jerry and Mouse's system, including the Griz.

It is lonely at the top, ain't it?

CopperCat
August 28th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I am going out on a limb and say that the Big Sky is the Griz's to lose. However, with PSU picked to be second, we too will have as large a target on our backs as Montana's because they will want to prove themselves against both Jerry and Mouse's system, including the Griz.

You talk like PSU and UM are the only good teams in the Big Sky.

There will be at least two other teams that have something to say about that.

Pete's Weekly
August 28th, 2007, 08:01 PM
For what it is worth to you, from Pete's Weekly:

Conference Power Poll (Preseason 2007):

1. Big Sky
2. Colonial
3. Southern
4. Great West
5. Gateway
6. Patriot
7. Big South
8. Mid-Eastern
9. Ohio Valley
10. Southland

Rankings within the Big Sky Conference, with their corresponding rank over 83 covered teams (preseason 2007):

2 Montana BSC
17 Portland State BSC
21 Montana State BSC
34 Northern Arizona BSC
49 Sacramento State BSC
57 Weber State BSC
63 Eastern Washington BSC
66 Idaho State BSC
72 Northern Colorado BSC

CrazyCat
August 28th, 2007, 09:53 PM
You talk like PSU and UM are the only good teams in the Big Sky.

There will be at least two other teams that have something to say about that.

No there isn't, we suck. We'll be an easy win so don't even worry about us and gameplan for the following weeks opponent. xsmiley_wix

Casey_Orourke
August 28th, 2007, 10:39 PM
No there isn't, we suck. We'll be an easy win so don't even worry about us and gameplan for the following weeks opponent. xsmiley_wix

It's the games you look past that bite you in the butt. Just ask Montana State about Chadron State......xnodx xlolx xlolx xnodx

CrazyCat
August 28th, 2007, 11:13 PM

HUh?

Casey_Orourke
August 28th, 2007, 11:20 PM
HUh?

dammit....that's what happens when try to write a quick note while I am also working.....hopefully you got the gist of what I was saying instead of what I said

NoCoDanny
August 29th, 2007, 09:20 AM
We should be last until we win a conference game.

AZGrizFan
August 29th, 2007, 09:23 AM
For what it is worth to you, from Pete's Weekly:

Conference Power Poll (Preseason 2007):

1. Big Sky
2. Colonial
3. Southern
4. Great West
5. Gateway
6. Patriot
7. Big South
8. Mid-Eastern
9. Ohio Valley
10. Southland

Rankings within the Big Sky Conference, with their corresponding rank over 83 covered teams (preseason 2007):

2 Montana BSC
17 Portland State BSC
21 Montana State BSC
34 Northern Arizona BSC
49 Sacramento State BSC
57 Weber State BSC
63 Eastern Washington BSC
66 Idaho State BSC
72 Northern Colorado BSC

Petes Weekly is a genius.

FINALLY, a voice of reason. ;)

SactoHornetFan
August 29th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Places us where we finished last year: ahead of all the teams we beat, below all the teams we lost to.

CopperCat
August 29th, 2007, 10:19 AM

I'm waiting for 89 to see this.......so that the thread gets moved to the smack forum.

Looks as though Pete is into the Glanville hype as well.

AZGrizFan
August 29th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Places us where we finished last year: ahead of all the teams we beat, below all the teams we lost to.

I was referring more to the conference power rankings.....

xlolx xlolx