PDA

View Full Version : INJUNCTION NEEDED ON DELAWARE LOCKOUT

ngineer
August 28th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Found out tonight that Delware only allocated 500 tickets for Lehigh for the September 10 game. Hence, the reason they were sold out so fast. The Hens certainly fear what would have been a significant block of Brown & White massed in several sections across the way. Lehigh probably had 4-5,000 at the 2000 playoff game at the Tub--of course the NCAA controlled ticket allocations, then.
The only tickets available are to the general public and down in the north endzone.
I lucked out by ordering mine with my season ticket package back in June. I have also been advised not to wear any nice clothes that wouldn't survive various liquid projectiles. I would hope that is not necessary and would expect UD treats its guests as ...guests.

Eagle22
August 28th, 2005, 10:31 PM
The Hens certainly fear what would have been a significant block of Brown & White massed in several sections across the way. Lehigh probably had 4-5,000 at the 2000 playoff game at the Tub--of course the NCAA controlled ticket allocations, then.

Let us know after the game if there were unsold seats. I'm guessing there won't be. If there are, then it's 'fear' and a travesty.

If not, then it's called taking care of your fanbase.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 28th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Found out tonight that Delware only allocated 500 tickets for Lehigh for the September 10 game. Hence, the reason they were sold out so fast. The Hens certainly fear what would have been a significant block of Brown & White massed in several sections across the way. Lehigh probably had 4-5,000 at the 2000 playoff game at the Tub--of course the NCAA controlled ticket allocations, then.
The only tickets available are to the general public and down in the north endzone.
I lucked out by ordering mine with my season ticket package back in June. I have also been advised not to wear any nice clothes that wouldn't survive various liquid projectiles. I would hope that is not necessary and would expect UD treats its guests as ...guests.

And they won't offer a return trip. This should be the last time Lehigh plays UD until they finally come back to Goodman. 500 ticket allotment is rediculous, thankfully i'll be there. I'm sure Lehigh fans were able to get their hands on tickets through other means. Hopefully they'll be 1,5000-2000 LU fans there.

eaglesrthe1
August 28th, 2005, 11:05 PM
No room to complain about not getting a return trip. Your rep signed on the dotted line. I doubt that anyone threatened to break his fingers if he didn't. A ticket allotment could have been included in the contract. If it wasn't then it should have, knowing that UD sells out on a regular basis.

FlyBoy8
August 28th, 2005, 11:14 PM
it's called taking care of your fanbase.

Delaware has sold out 13 consecutive regular season home games. I hardly think it is wrong for a school to limit the number of tickets it gives to its opponent when they KNOW there will be Delaware fans left without a ticket.

Last year, UD students were being turned away from the first three games. I think you need to keep this in perspective.

blukeys
August 28th, 2005, 11:24 PM
I'm sure Lehigh fans were able to get their hands on tickets through other means. Hopefully they'll be 1,5000-2000 LU fans there.

Probably will be. There are many Lehigh grads in De. just as there are many De. grads in Pa, inluding the Lehigh Valley. Most of my Lehigh friends have gone straight to UD for their tix and have told me they have been treated very well. This game will be a sellout and would probably be a sellout without Lehigh fans.

While I personally would like to see a regular UD - Lehigh Matchup in the future, I just don't see it happening. UD only has 3 non-con dates per year. One is taken by WCUPA (not my choice) One is taken by any possible I-A and the third is for the Holy Crosses/Albany crowd. If Lehigh wanted to put together a REALLY interesting FINANCIAL package that got UD more money than a home game then a home and home might happen. But we all know that is not gonna happen. The administration appears to be looking at developing relationships with programs that may benefit UD in the future and this includes ongoing ties to SoCon teams. It is sad but true that UD and the PL crew of Bucknell, LU, and LC had to say their goodbyes 30 years ago (UD blames Temple for all of this) but the fact is each school has their own priorities.

Some of the comments I have read above sound identical to comments on UD boards about UD and Navy. (Navy won't come to Newark either). Each program must make decisions based on what they see as their own best interest. Lehigh-UD is a great idea but we haven't had a regular season game in 6 years and somehow both programs have managed to survive.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 28th, 2005, 11:40 PM
UD only has 3 non-con dates per year. One is taken by WCUPA (not my choice) One is taken by any possible I-A and the third is for the Holy Crosses/Albany crowd.

The administration appears to be looking at developing relationships with programs that may benefit UD in the future and this includes ongoing ties to SoCon teams. .

Am I the only one to see the lunacy of these two statements in the same post? Unless you consider SoCon teams part of the Albany/HC crowd. It would help to SCHEDULE some SoCon teams if you want to develop this relationship...

Let's get real - UD figures they're going to sell out the games anyway and deserve 6-7 home games a year, so they're going to get the 2 one-way games a year and call it good. Can't say I blame them, finanically that is - Lehigh would do the same if it could. A OOC schedule of Albany, WC and Navy, however, will one day will bite you in the ass for the playoffs instead of playing a top I-AA program as an OOC like Lehigh year in and year out.

One money game is fine. 2 money games, especially with only 3 OOC slots, is excessive.

Lehigh/UD should play each other evey year. One or the other is usually a ranked team; it's a bus ride; and it's a good OOC win for the victor. I see lots of benefits for both teams to play home-and-homes, unless your primary obsession is $$$ and having 7 home games a year.

Eagle22
August 28th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Delaware has sold out 13 consecutive regular season home games. I hardly think it is wrong for a school to limit the number of tickets it gives to its opponent when they KNOW there will be Delaware fans left without a ticket.

Last year, UD students were being turned away from the first three games. I think you need to keep this in perspective.

Maybe I should've replaced "your" with "Delaware's".

That's the message I was attempting to deliver. Sorry I didn't make it clearer.

FlyBoy8
August 28th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Actually I was quoting you because I agreed with you. Maybe I should have been clearer.

ChickenMan
August 29th, 2005, 08:07 AM

Do they offer a course on 'whining' at Lehigh...??? There sure seems to be a disproportional amount of that going on up at LU:

UD plays too many home games
A10 gets too many playoff bids
UD won't play at Lehigh
UD takes transfers

and now UD has the nerve to sell the vast majority of tickets to it's own fans... :eek:

The Hens certainly fear what would have been a significant block of Brown & White massed in several sections across the way. Lehigh probably had 4-5,000 at the 2000 playoff game at the Tub

Lehigh fans strike fear in the hearts of UD fans...??? :rolleyes: and I attended that UD/LU playoff game in '00 and there was nowhere near four or five thousand LU fans in attendence. Not even close.

bluehenbillk
August 29th, 2005, 08:16 AM
I'm surprised to find a LU fan that claims to have a recollection of the 2000 playoff game. LU scored 1st & then it went downhill quick for them. As has been said before, UD has sold out every regular season game for almost 2 years now, the season ticket count is at or above 11,000 currently, visiting teams regardless of who they are, will get a small amount of tix. If you want more, they went on-sale thru TicketMaster on August 1st.

GannonFan
August 29th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Wah Wah Wah - man, I knew Lehigh fans had an issue with Delaware, but I always hoped it was from something deserving of such spite. Sadly, I don't think it is. There were 11,000 tickets available for the general public for this game (well, maybe take 2-3000 off that for UD student holdbacks) so there was plenty enough tickets for the Lehigh faithful to buy well and beyond the normal 500 tickets which is the typical allottment given to visiting teams in Newark. Geez, you should've picked up a phone and ordered tickets. This place sells out for West Chester, of course Lehigh was going to be a tough ticket.

Oh, and UD does schedule SOCon teams - Citadel, Georgia Southern, and Furman are all members of that conference last time I checked. And I agree with the other posts, if Lehigh didn't want to come to Newark without a guarantee of a return game then they shouldn't have signed the contract. Seems like a lot of sour grapes for something Lehigh knew full well before agreeing to play.

FightinBluHen51
August 29th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Wah Wah Wah - man, I knew Lehigh fans had an issue with Delaware, but I always hoped it was from something deserving of such spite. Sadly, I don't think it is. There were 11,000 tickets available for the general public for this game (well, maybe take 2-3000 off that for UD student holdbacks) so there was plenty enough tickets for the Lehigh faithful to buy well and beyond the normal 500 tickets which is the typical allottment given to visiting teams in Newark. Geez, you should've picked up a phone and ordered tickets. This place sells out for West Chester, of course Lehigh was going to be a tough ticket.

Oh, and UD does schedule SOCon teams - Citadel, Georgia Southern, and Furman are all members of that conference last time I checked. And I agree with the other posts, if Lehigh didn't want to come to Newark without a guarantee of a return game then they shouldn't have signed the contract. Seems like a lot of sour grapes for something Lehigh knew full well before agreeing to play.

The one thing about playing Navy in Annapolis or in Newark is that UD actually pulls a significant amount of $$ from gate draws. We DO NOT have to go take a I-A payday. Last I checked, Montana was the last AA to get an A at home, and it basically does boil down to money most of the time in scheduling noncons. Manya UD fan would love to see Pitt, MD (we will in 08) Navy (off and on, not back to back to back) Rutgers, Temple, Army, ditch the WCUPA game and get a lazy AA team (DSU anyone?), Albany, HC to replace that one, and a quality AA noncon (two in a year where we don't play a I-A) but it honestly doesn't make much sense when you do play in the A10.

Theres this thing in racing called "run whatcha brung and hope you brug enough." Perhaps LU should be worried about beating UD 9/10 instead of whining about ticket alottments. :rolleyes:

FightinBluHen51
August 29th, 2005, 10:38 AM
The one thing about playing Navy in Annapolis or in Newark is that UD actually pulls a significant amount of $$ from gate draws. We DO NOT have to go take a I-A payday. Last I checked, Montana was the last AA to get an A at home, and it basically does boil down to money most of the time in scheduling noncons. Manya UD fan would love to see Pitt, MD (we will in 08) Navy (off and on, not back to back to back) Rutgers, Temple, Army, ditch the WCUPA game and get a lazy AA team (DSU anyone?), Albany, HC to replace that one, and a quality AA noncon (two in a year where we don't play a I-A) but it honestly doesn't make much sense when you do play in the A10.

Theres this thing in racing called "run whatcha brung and hope you brug enough." Perhaps LU should be worried about beating UD 9/10 instead of whining about ticket alottments. :rolleyes:
And for one, I know how hard it was to get tickets for Navy last year, and even the year before, but I still got them and I didn't even go through the UD office to get them. If you want a ticket bad enough, there are ways to get what you want. Plan accordingly!

Lehigh Football Nation
August 29th, 2005, 11:47 AM
...if Lehigh didn't want to come to Newark without a guarantee of a return game then they shouldn't have signed the contract. Seems like a lot of sour grapes for something Lehigh knew full well before agreeing to play.

Fair enough. You are right that nobody held a gun to our heads to sign the contract.

I think the real source of our frustrations is that many schools (Delaware included) in the past 10 years have reneged on agreements to play at Goodman or modified them mid-stream so they don't play at Goodman. We have a slew of quality schools in our area that COULD schedule us with a bus trip to and from (Delaware, Villanova, Hofstra, W&M, JMU, Richmond, Penn, Princeton). Nova stepped up only last year to play us for the first time since I was born, and they're what, 30 miles away, tops? This year, with 5 OOC games, only one local team is stepping up to the plate to try to beat us, and that's Delaware. Last year, it was only one team (Villanova, and for the record, they did). You're telling me that everyone's OOC schedule of these 8 teams is so great, and so packed, that they can't schedule a nationally-ranked I-AA team in their backyard? One that only costs a bus trip?

The only conclusion I can come up with is that teams are absolutely terrified of playing Lehigh -- at Goodman especially. UD is the exception - they don't schedule away games since they don't have to.

PS. Be honest. Don't you think a 500 seat allocation, for a stadium with 22,000 CAPACITY, is ludicrous? That's freaking 2% of the seats, for a LOCAL NATIONALLY-RANKED I-AA TEAM. How much does Villanova get?

I can only imagine the uproar and indignation if Montana or Southern hosted Delaware, and *their* seat allocation was 2% of the crowd capacity.

colgate13
August 29th, 2005, 12:18 PM
A OOC schedule of Albany, WC and Navy, however, will one day will bite you in the ass for the playoffs...

I've kept this in the back of my mind for a while and plan on remembering it should it come to pass. It will truly be a case of reaping what one sows. We shall see if that would then cause some scheduling changes.

Then again, PL teams have their own problems in that the Ivy games don't help us much for the playoffs. So in a case where it's a 3/4 A-10 that is UD and a 2nd PL team, I think for the time being UD with that schedule is still going to get the nod.

henfan
August 29th, 2005, 12:31 PM
I think the real source of our frustrations is that many schools (Delaware included) in the past 10 years have reneged on agreements to play at Goodman or modified them mid-stream so they don't play at Goodman.

LFN, for the record, Delaware has not reneged on a return date to Lehigh (or any other school, for that matter), nor has UD modified contractual agreements that would have resulted in the same. I've been following UD football since '72, so maybe something occurred before my time. (BTW, there are many among us who'd wish UD would break the long-term West Chester deal!)

Since the two schools agreed to renew the series in the early '90's, UD and LU have played a pair of home-home deals ('93-'94 and '96-'97) and one single shot game in Newark in '99. There was hope, especially as expressed by former Coach Raymond to the press in the wake of the '99 game, that the two teams would meet for future games. At the time, Joe Sterrett stated he was doubtful future games would be played because of the disparity between the two schools in the use of freshmen. Sterrett further stated that he'd be more receptive to playing UD later in the season, rather than in the first few games.

Something must have changed with Sterrett because he signed on the dotted line to play another game in Newark this year with no return date and to play the game early on. I'm not a betting man, but I'd bet LU will represent themselves just fine in a couple weeks.

BTW, in the lifetime series between UD and LU, 22 of the 44 regular season games (50%) have been played in Bethlehem.

As for availability of tickets, only the 11K+ UD season ticket holders, several thousand UD students and 500 LU fans were guaranteed seats. The rest, whether UD or LU fans, had to purchase single game seats in the same way through Ticketmaster. As mentioned, those seats were available to anyone who wanted to order. Wish we had a bigger stadium but them's the breaks.

GannonFan
August 29th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Fair enough. You are right that nobody held a gun to our heads to sign the contract.

I think the real source of our frustrations is that many schools (Delaware included) in the past 10 years have reneged on agreements to play at Goodman or modified them mid-stream so they don't play at Goodman. We have a slew of quality schools in our area that COULD schedule us with a bus trip to and from (Delaware, Villanova, Hofstra, W&M, JMU, Richmond, Penn, Princeton). Nova stepped up only last year to play us for the first time since I was born, and they're what, 30 miles away, tops? This year, with 5 OOC games, only one local team is stepping up to the plate to try to beat us, and that's Delaware. Last year, it was only one team (Villanova, and for the record, they did). You're telling me that everyone's OOC schedule of these 8 teams is so great, and so packed, that they can't schedule a nationally-ranked I-AA team in their backyard? One that only costs a bus trip?

The only conclusion I can come up with is that teams are absolutely terrified of playing Lehigh -- at Goodman especially. UD is the exception - they don't schedule away games since they don't have to.

PS. Be honest. Don't you think a 500 seat allocation, for a stadium with 22,000 CAPACITY, is ludicrous? That's freaking 2% of the seats, for a LOCAL NATIONALLY-RANKED I-AA TEAM. How much does Villanova get?

I can only imagine the uproar and indignation if Montana or Southern hosted Delaware, and *their* seat allocation was 2% of the crowd capacity.

I understand your frustration, but it's just shouting at the wind. UD doesn't have to or want to play Lehigh every year - there are other games out there. It's a nice rivalry and was great back in the late 70's and into the 80's. But Lehigh bears a lot of the blame for stopping that rivalry when they told UD they didn't want to play anymore as they were experimenting with the Patriot League. And UD has played at Goodman in recent history even after that. There were 2 home and home's in the 90's. As for backing out of an agreement, I'm not aware of anytime where UD has reneged on a contract to play Lehigh at Goodman. UD has only recently taken the tack of playing more lightweights than West Chester (who is actually a longer rivalry than Lehigh) and yes, money from the home gate is a huge reason.

And no, I don't see anything wrong with a 500 seat allocation for a visiting school, even in a 22,000 seat stadium (I don't think that number changes for the team coming in, unless someone wants less). Most schools don't fill even that allotment anyway so there's always extra tickets coming back late. It's probably easier to sell when you know you won't have that many unclaimed ones coming back from the other school. And frankly, in this day and age with the internet, it's easy buying tickets directly from the school itself, and that way there is no "cap" on how many fans are there for the visiting team. If UD played at Montana or Southern, I'd be on the phone right away. Sure you don't get to sit with every supporter from your school but despite your outrage at the behavior of some UD fans, this isn't European soccer where you need barbed wire and armed guards in a DMZ between opposing groups of fans to avoid bloodshed. Like many games before, I'm sure there will be a good buzz the night of the game, the on-field game should be good, and we'll all have fun - well, at least the ones that ordered their tickets early. ;)

Eaglegus2
August 29th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Would Lehigh like to play Georgia Southern?

We could do a home & home series.

Have your AD call our AD.

bluehenbillk
August 29th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Henfan & GannonFan hit the nail on the head. LFN you're off-base making accusations that UD reneged or modified any contract.

I doubt UD allots any visiting school many tickets nowadays. It's supply & demand, and until they get more than 22K seats, that's the hand your dealt.

If you still need more tix, TicketMaster still has some, not many, but some.

henfan
August 29th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Just checked Ticketmonster. They still have single seats available for purchase in the North End Zone for UD-LU. They won't exclude from selling to Lehigh fans. There's absolutely no excuse to bellyache.

FightinBluHen51
August 29th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Even when there's another band in the house (UMass, WCUPA, Towson) those tickets come out of the alotment for those schools, so obviously, it should have been up to your AD to negotiate that into the contract if you thought you would have brought more people. Again, I had no problem getting tickets for either of our last to contests with Navy and both of those were on THEIR homecoming. Yes, I wasn't sitting with ALL of my Delaware faithful, but if 10~15K UD fans can get their tickets exclusive of the UD alotment for Navy, I'm sure 2,3,4k LU fans could get tickets for the Tub.

JMU Duke Dog
August 29th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Lehigh was lucky enough to get 500 tickets as JMU only received 400 tickets for the Dukes' game at Delaware.

ngineer
August 29th, 2005, 04:46 PM
My only thought when I heard the limit on the number allotted to Lehigh, was is this what they allot to Villanova? If so, then I accept that, that is their standard policy. If not, then there were other motives. Oh,btw, I do have my tickets, as I ordered them with my season tickets and did plan ahead. :cool:

ChickenMan
August 29th, 2005, 05:40 PM
My only thought when I heard the limit on the number allotted to Lehigh, was is this what they allot to Villanova? If so, then I accept that, that is their standard policy. If not, then there were other motives. Oh,btw, I do have my tickets, as I ordered them with my season tickets and did plan ahead. :cool:

I don't think Nova has 500 fans... :D

Engineer91
August 29th, 2005, 07:07 PM

What interest do any of those teams mentioned have in playing Lehigh? six of them already have 4-6 top 25 ranked teams on their schedule, 4 have better attendance than Lehigh, Princeton thinks there should only be 2 games a year (Yale and Harvard), Lehigh may have 5 OOC games but all the other teams listed only have 3 OOC's, 4-5 of them like to get in a I-A game. How many of those teams has Lehigh had a strong interest in playing? Probably Penn, Princeton, Delaware and 'Nova and the Ivies we already play quite often.

Do you really believe this?? or are you just trying to tweak some people? If there is a team in I-AA who is "absolutely terrified of playing Lehigh" they probably shouldn't be playing Div I football.

No. It's a shame we don't have this problems, we have plenty of empty seats for everyone to stretch out ... and as mentioned there were ~11,000 available tickets.

NEZ
August 29th, 2005, 07:39 PM
UD wouldn't sign a contract where we only get 500 tickets. I don't know how many ticket are alloted for the trip to Maryland in 08 but I would imagine it will be more than
2%. I would suggest you send your AD an e-mail with your thoughts on the 500 allocated seats.

For those LU fans who elect to sit in the North End Zone....BEWARE

ngineer
August 29th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Would Lehigh like to play Georgia Southern?

We could do a home & home series.

Have your AD call our AD.
I know a lot of Lehigh fans would love the challenge. I know there have been inquiries made of various SoCon schools. With schedules being made up at least four years in advance, hopefully that will come to fruition. :)

ngineer
August 29th, 2005, 09:44 PM

BA-DUMP!! :D

ngineer
August 29th, 2005, 09:47 PM
UD wouldn't sign a contract where we only get 500 tickets. I don't know how many ticket are alloted for the trip to Maryland in 08 but I would imagine it will be more than
2%. I would suggest you send your AD an e-mail with your thoughts on the 500 allocated seats.

For those LU fans who elect to sit in the North End Zone....BEWARE

So I heard last night. :( .Luckily, I'm in section M :)

blukeys
August 29th, 2005, 09:47 PM

They do for basketball. And of course the wrestling fans "are to die for" just ask John duPont.

GannonFan
August 29th, 2005, 09:54 PM
There you go. Then there should be no complaints about Lehigh fan anguish over 500 tickets. That is an incredibly small number but maybe that is what the team's UD normally plays ask for. When they play teams with bigger fan bases they should up the amount. Tell me Georgia Southern didn't bring more than 500 fans. Tell me Lehigh is not going to bring more than 500. It's a slap like a trading tape debacle.

Oh come on, Ralph, the properly negotiated amount of ticket allotments has absolutely nothing to do with the unsportsmanlike and rule-breaking (I thought it was a NCAA rule but could be mistaken) that is not trading game tapes. They're nowhere near the same thing. To be more accurate it would be like agreeing to more tickets up front and then only allotting them a smaller number, which isn't the case here. Let's not make a mountain out of a mole-hill here - Lehigh agreed to a game in Newark under these conditions - no guns to the head, no secret pictures for bribery, no hidden fine print. UD doesn't need opposing teams to bring fans to fill the stadium so why should Delaware fans be shut out to make room for visiting fans. Blame Lehigh for slapping their own fans by not stipulating more tickets. Oh, and strange thing here, no one has complained about not getting tickets so who exactly is the aggrieved party? Like I said, mountain out of a molehill.

blukeys
August 29th, 2005, 10:08 PM
All of my Lehigh buddies have bought their tickets and went thru UD. All were impressed by the courtesy and professionialism exhibited by UD. There are a lot of Lehigh folks in Delaware (how else can one be so familiar with Lehigh excuses?)

This game will be a sellout. No announcement will be made until the returning students get a chance at their allotment but no one believes that the returning students will not fill up their section for opening night. (and the ensuing weekendlong partying in Newark). Delaware will also sell out for West Chester the week of 9/17. Are Lehigh fans so insecure that they don't believe they can draw more than West Chester?

ngineer
August 29th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Actually, Gannon, since the only tickets available are in the North endzone, and past conduct toward visitors in that corner of the stadium is well known, anyone not wanting to face bodily harm, getting beverages dumped on them, or their spouses insulted, doesn't have much of a choice.

MR. CHICKEN
August 30th, 2005, 05:42 AM
ACCORDIN' TA RETRO..............DELAWARE vs LEHIGH........7pm..CN8!....ENGINEERHAWKS....SAVE DUH FUEL COSTS...STAY HOME......AN' WATCH IT ON TV!.......NEXT TIME....IFIN' YA'LL WANNA BE AT DUH PARTY.........DO WHAT EVERAH BODY HAS TO......TA GET TIX'S........IFIN' YA'LL'S SCHOOL SUPPLY DRIES UP.......GO THRU DUH OTHERAH TEAMS TICKET SERVICE!......AS MENTIONED B/4.......DELAWARE FANS DO DAT FO' NAVY....AN' MAH BUDDIES AN' ME....BOUGHT OUR TOWSON TIX'S...THRU TOWSON!.....:rolleyes:.....BRAWK!

Tribe4SF
August 30th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Actually, Gannon, since the only tickets available are in the North endzone, and past conduct toward visitors in that corner of the stadium is well known, anyone not wanting to face bodily harm, getting beverages dumped on them, or their spouses insulted, doesn't have much of a choice.

All I can say is that this comment bears no resemblance to my experiences at The Tub over the years. Smack talk, yes....but nothing like that.

bluehenbillk
August 30th, 2005, 07:24 AM
I hope if you wanted tickets you got them, because the game is SOLD OUT!

I stand by my signature.

GannonFan
August 30th, 2005, 09:59 AM

Well, I've been going to UD games now for going on 34 years and while there may always be isolated incidents here and there, as there are at any stadium, including Goodman btw, what you describe as routine treatment is pretty much absurd. Heck, the North endzone actually has a lot of families in that location and being a pretty small grandstand, it'd be next to impossible to hide the type of behavior you claim is routine. Bodily harm, please! Like the other poster said, take the smack elsewhere. There are cops aplenty in the stadium on gameday so if anything does happen to you, there's always a proper recourse.

I didn't see the contract but you have to admit 500 is ridiculous. It should be at least a couple thousand in a stadium that size.

Ralph, we're never going to see eye to eye on this one, no sweat. I think 500 is just fine, and I think your 2k, at a minimum (heck, that's almost 10% of the stadium) is just unrealistic. The stadium is "Delaware Stadium" and as it gets filled to capacity each week regardless of the opponent there is no need to go to great bounds to reserve tickets for the away supporters at the expense of fans who would come anyway. Everyone knows what the schedule is years in advance and after season ticket holders and students, there are always at least 5-8,000 tickets available for the general public for every game. Anyone, a Delaware fan, a Lehigh fan, or neither, can buy these. People who don't have tickets now or are complaining about where the seats are are just those that didn't get on the phone quick enough when single games went on sale. UD often gets many more fans than their allottment at other venues, why is it so hard for others to do the same?

henfan
August 30th, 2005, 10:37 AM
That is an incredibly small number but maybe that is what the team's UD normally plays ask for. When they play teams with bigger fan bases they should up the amount. Tell me Georgia Southern didn't bring more than 500 fans.

Ralph, for I-AA, 500 reserved tickets for the visiting team is fairly standard. As well, that number is the amount UD has typically given to visiting teams, though several hundred are often returned by the schools to UD ticket office unsold. (I'd imagine that would not regularly be the case whenever UD's geographic rivals like W&M, JMU, Nova, Lehigh, West Chester, ect. have visited the Tub.)

GSU brought a nice crowd to Newark when they visited during the 2002 regular season, but I don't believe the GSU AD was given any more than 500 tickets. That's not to say that GSU didn't have more than 500 fans at the game but, if they did, it wasn't much more than that. In fact, that game was our smallest draw of the 2002 regular season. I don't recall if GSU returned any unsold tickets to UD that year. I'd be suprised if they didn't. UD returned several hundred tickets to GSU for our 2001 game in Statesboro.

I'd imagine that the number of tickets awarded to visiting teams over and above the standard depends greatly on supply and demand. There are probably only a handfull of I-AA schools with the type of demand UD is fortunate enough to have. That said, as had been mentioned ad nauseum, several thousand tickets were made available to LU fans (and every other member of the general public) online well in advance of the game. There is absolutely no reason why every ardent LU supporter who wanted a ticket could not get one.

FightinBluHen51
August 30th, 2005, 11:48 AM
:rolleyes: Again, I will stipulate Delaware @ Navy. UD had no problem having easily 8000 fans there in 03 (or approx. 24% of capacity for their stadium) and easily 10+k last year (~30% of capacity). Now, you know that Navy did not provide UD with those percentages in tickets, coupled with homecoming weekend! Please, this is a non-issue, and Ralph, I'm surprised you're helping to perpetuate it. There are pleanty of ways for resourseful people to get their tickets. I had no clue when Navy tickets went on sale in 04 until I looked on their website. I may have even had to call their ticket office to find out for sure, I can't remember. Point is, if someone wanted their tickets to the 9/10 game in Newark, they could have gotten them on 8/1 if they so chose. In 04 Navy tix went on sale for individual games in May (like the 5th or so). I had tickets and a 25 ticket group orginzed 2 days later and the first road trip was set! Please, I'm tired of hear about this, it's over. :rolleyes:

I didn't see the contract but you have to admit 500 is ridiculous. It should be at least a couple thousand in a stadium that size.

ChickenMan
August 30th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Obviously this was a brilliant Rooster plot... being "fearful" of an invasion by the Mountain Squawks... and knowing that the LU faithful didn't have the sense to order tickets from UD... KC requested that the ticket office limit the Squawks to the same number of tickets that all other UD opponents receive... :D :p :D

bluehenbillk
August 30th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Lee-High fans complain about everything, it's part of their birthright (since they couldn't get into an Ivy League school), and you have to take their senseless arguments with a grain of salt.

HensRock
August 30th, 2005, 12:18 PM
I beleive our allotment for the Navy game in both 2003 and 2004 was either 2000 or 3000 tickets. BUt as was said, somehow that didn't stop 8-10,000 Hen fans from attending.

I remember a couple of years ago (maybe it was last year) someone was making a big stink about the low number of tickets their team was alloted for their game at Delaware Stadium - they ended up returning about half!

bluehenbillk
August 30th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Just to let you know more about the ticket situation at UD, the JMU game is already virtually sold out. Only a few single seats remain, not a pair left in the building. We're missing the boat with only 22K seats.

89Hen
August 30th, 2005, 01:03 PM
You can't be serious Ralph. I just got an e-mail from a friend who is trying to get tickets for Texas at Ohio State (my sister-in-law is a Buckeye). OSU alloted UT 4,000 tickets. The capacity at OSU is 102,000. :cool:

FightinBluHen51
August 30th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I beleive our allotment for the Navy game in both 2003 and 2004 was either 2000 or 3000 tickets. BUt as was said, somehow that didn't stop 8-10,000 Hen fans from attending.

I remember a couple of years ago (maybe it was last year) someone was making a big stink about the low number of tickets their team was alloted for their game at Delaware Stadium - they ended up returning about half!

Ah, I remember that, and that would have been Wofford in the 03 semi final!

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2005, 07:31 AM

And I remember the stink K.C. made last year about not getting enough tickets for the quarterfinal in Williamsburg (2500, I believe). The Hens ended up returning tickets, so let's hope K.C.s whining days are over (fat chance).

And 500 is not standard. I'd like to hear K.C.s reaction if we only allocate 500 for this Nov. 12. :spank:

HensRock
August 31st, 2005, 07:44 AM
I'd like to hear K.C.s reaction if we only allocate 500 for this Nov. 12. :spank:

And what's the price of those Delaware game tickets vs. your normal game pricing? "The College" would be crazy to only allocate that many because they know UD will buy them up and pay the additional markup that W&M always adds to Delaware tickets.

MR. CHICKEN
August 31st, 2005, 07:49 AM
HEY GRIZZWALD'S....................HOW DO YA'LL HANDLE DUH TICKET SITUATION?.....DUH BEARS......AH'M GUESSIN'.......MUST NOT GIVE OUT BIG ALLOTMENTS TA VISITIN' SCHOOLS......MAYBE BOBCAT STATE...WOULD BE DUH EXCEPTION...........DUH BIG SKY SCHOOLS ARE SO SPREAD OUT...WOULDN'T THINK MANY SCHOOLS WOULD TRAVEL DAT WELL...........................AWK!

89Hen
August 31st, 2005, 08:05 AM
4K of 102K is more than 500 of 22K+. Maybe it just says that no one brings a fan base to the Tub. See you for the JMU game!
It is, but you were suggesting 2k out of 22k. It is a combination of not many teams bringing many fans and that the stadium has been selling out with Blue Hen fans. We will see you at the JMU game, along with 400 Dukes fans and 22,000 Blue Hen fans. :p

89Hen
August 31st, 2005, 08:09 AM
And I remember the stink K.C. made last year about not getting enough tickets for the quarterfinal in Williamsburg (2500, I believe). The Hens ended up returning tickets, so let's hope K.C.s whining days are over (fat chance).

And 500 is not standard. I'd like to hear K.C.s reaction if we only allocate 500 for this Nov. 12. :spank:
That's because the Hen fans are smart and bought them directly through W&M's ticket office instead of waiting for UD to get their allotment. I have been to six away games in the last three years and I have yet to buy tix through UD.

And 500 IS standard in the A10 for teams that sell out their stadium. There's not a team in the A10 that sells out every game that allots more than UD. :p

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2005, 08:25 AM
And what's the price of those Delaware game tickets vs. your normal game pricing? .

The price is the same for all home games this year. The only time we have a higher price is for homecoming, and that's not the case this year.

I remember the article at Delawareonline with picture of the elaborate setup for ticket sales, and more staff than customers.

Noone disputes UDs great fan support. Your whiney coach and AD are just pompous to deal with.

89Hen
August 31st, 2005, 08:26 AM
Your whiney coach and AD are just pompous to deal with.
You mean winning coach and AD? :p

henfan
August 31st, 2005, 08:26 AM
And 500 IS standard in the A10 for teams that sell out their stadium. There's not a team in the A10 that sells out every game that allots more than UD.

500 is standard but that doesn't mean that every school in every situation allots only 500. There are probably cases where teams allot more or, when not needed, even less. I'm certain W&M typically gives UD, UR & JMU more than 500. Ditto UR to W&M, UD & JMU. I'd guess JMU also has given UR, W&M & UD more than 500 many times. OTOH, Maine isn't bringing 500 fans to Harrisonburg. It's a matter of supply AND demand- how many tickets schools think they'll need vs. what can be reasonably supplied.

As for Keeler complaining about the W&M deal, that's his right. Doesn't mean W&M should have gone beyond what was required by the NCAA, especially if the demand is such that Tribe fans need to be accomodated. That's the advantage of earning the home field during the regular season.

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2005, 08:36 AM
As for Keeler complaining about the W&M deal, that's his right. Doesn't mean W&M should have gone beyond what was required by the NCAA, .

That's why his bitching was so annoying. Tribe went way beyond NCAA requirements. He was condescending and arrogant about it. I respect him as a coach, but I'm not a fan.

GannonFan
August 31st, 2005, 08:45 AM
That's why his bitching was so annoying. Tribe went way beyond NCAA requirements. He was condescending and arrogant about it. I respect him as a coach, but I'm not a fan.

Come on, W&M fans overreacted a lot to that as well - it's not like KC was calling press conferences to talk about tickets - he had one quote in one paper and that was it - the rest was message board fodder for a week and still a few thousand UD fans showed up. Most people who don't like Keeler have never liked him - whether it be the bravado, or the sunglasses, or his ability to win year in and year out. Regardless, the guy expects the best and sees no reason why he can't acheive it. One man's confidence is another's arrogance.

89Hen
August 31st, 2005, 08:56 AM
I agree with GF's last post. However, I can tell you that if I weren't a UD fan, Keeler would bug the S out of me too. :p

colgate13
August 31st, 2005, 11:41 AM
He's not paid to make friends, that's for sure.

GannonFan
August 31st, 2005, 12:16 PM
He's not paid to make friends, that's for sure.

Friends with whom, opposing teams fans? I'm sure he's still able to sleep at night. He's got 22,000 fans behind him every game in Newark. Fact is, he runs a clean program, he wins a hell of a lot, and he loves Delaware football. Oh, and he's beat stinkin' nova 2 years in a row now. :)

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2005, 05:59 PM
Come on, W&M fans overreacted a lot to that as well - it's not like KC was calling press conferences to talk about tickets - ...

It wasn't just the statements to the press. Negotiations with W&M staff reflected that attitude from your AD as well. I had a series of email conversations with your AD, and the net feeling from all of it regarding your staff (including K.C.) was "pompous and arrogant". If no one cares how your staff is perceived, then it's no sweat.

CollegeObserver
August 31st, 2005, 08:02 PM
It wasn't just the statements to the press. Negotiations with W&M staff reflected that attitude from your AD as well. I had a series of email conversations with your AD, and the net feeling from all of it regarding your staff (including K.C.) was "pompous and arrogant". If no one cares how your staff is perceived, then it's no sweat.

"Pompous and arrogant" should be a well understood trait, by an associate of The College, for sure.

89Hen
August 31st, 2005, 08:36 PM
"Pompous and arrogant" should be a well understood trait, by an associate of The College, for sure.
I was thinking the EXACT same thing. :p

GannonFan
August 31st, 2005, 08:55 PM

To steal a line from Phoebe on "Friends" - "Uh, hello pot, this is the kettle, you're black".

NEZ
August 31st, 2005, 09:35 PM
We may be lude,crude & rude but will never waste a good drink.

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2005, 10:21 PM

Yeah, I've seen it before, so it's recognizable. :D

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2005, 10:23 PM
To steal a line from Phoebe on "Friends" - "Uh, hello pot, this is the kettle, you're black".

So you think I'm "pompous and arrogant"? :confused:

GannonFan
September 1st, 2005, 09:17 AM
So you think I'm "pompous and arrogant"? :confused:

Nothing personal to you, so please don't take offense. I was referring to a more general feeling that often supporters of W&M tend try to look down their noses on others not affiliated with "the college".

89Hen
September 1st, 2005, 09:28 AM
Nothing personal to you, so please don't take offense. I was referring to a more general feeling that often supporters of W&M tend try to look down their noses on others not affiliated with "the college".
:nod: It was tongue in cheek toward you, but a reality for many at The College. W&M are the only ones who can hold a candle to the arrogance displayed in Charlottesville at The University, and I say that with a wife who is a UVA alum. :p

"Ho" Dweller
September 1st, 2005, 11:34 AM
Hey guys, I was just curious if anyone knew what the ticket situation is like for next weekend's game? :rolleyes:

Seriously, 8 pages of posts about ticket allotment...why can't Lehigh and UD do this more often?!?!

Should be a very competitive game...never an easy task to leave Newark with a W. I think Lehigh is catching UD at a good time and has a good chance of pulling this one out. This is a great early season test for both schools. In terms of importance, I think Lehigh has more to lose than UD in this one...hopefully they play like it.

ChickenMan
September 1st, 2005, 11:46 AM
The ticket situation is tight... very tight. The game will be a sell out.

ngineer
September 1st, 2005, 11:52 AM
The ticket situation is tight... very tight. The game will be a sell out.

If it's that tight, then we might even get the Cap'n to make a cameo appearance! ;)

89Hen
September 1st, 2005, 02:52 PM
Should be a very competitive game...never an easy task to leave Newark with a W. I think Lehigh is catching UD at a good time and has a good chance of pulling this one out. This is a great early season test for both schools. In terms of importance, I think Lehigh has more to lose than UD in this one...hopefully they play like it.
Ho! Where you been?! I agree that this is a great test for both teams. LU will have the advantage of having played a game and UD will have the home field advantage, although that's never really been a factor in this series. It always seems to go in streaks. I disagree though that LU has more to lose. No disrespect to the PL, but LU probably has a much better chance to win the PL than UD does to win the A10. A loss here for UD means only two more losses if they want to stay in the playoff picture as an at-large.

HensRock
September 1st, 2005, 04:53 PM
Hey guys, I was just curious if anyone knew what the ticket situation is like for next weekend's game? :rolleyes:

Seriously, 8 pages of posts about ticket allotment...why can't Lehigh and UD do this more often?!?!

It's now official. The game is SOLD OUT

All tickets for the Lehigh game, except those that'll be given to students the night of the game, were gone by Tuesday, Selheimer said.

News Journal story (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050901/NEWS01/50901008)

umassfan
September 1st, 2005, 05:23 PM
I didnt feel like reading this whole thread but wanted to put my two cents in... UD by right only needs to give Lehigh 500 tickets... any more they give is up to them but if the hens feel they can seel the seats to their own fans then I dont see anything wrong with them giving just 500.

"Ho" Dweller
September 2nd, 2005, 01:20 PM
89...It's good to be back in the mix. I've been in and out of the board but I don't like getting too caught up in the preseason stuff. There is a baby Dweller now, so time is at a premium these days. But I am absolutely thrilled for a new season of college football! And any year that the Hens and the Engineers hook up is reason enough to get excited.

That is fantastic that this game sold out a full week in advance, regardless of how. This is a great regional rivalry and I am sure it is going to generate a lot of press in Newark and in the Valley over the next week.

Won't be in attendance this year :( , but the lil' one and I are going to be glued to the tube next Saturday! The poor kid is half Hen and half Engineer...I'll have to sneak the Lehigh gear on him when mom isn't looking! ;)

ngineer
September 2nd, 2005, 07:45 PM
Ho! Where you been?! I agree that this is a great test for both teams. LU will have the advantage of having played a game and UD will have the home field advantage, although that's never really been a factor in this series. It always seems to go in streaks. I disagree though that LU has more to lose. No disrespect to the PL, but LU probably has a much better chance to win the PL than UD does to win the A10. A loss here for UD means only two more losses if they want to stay in the playoff picture as an at-large.

Fully agree with this. Because of West Chester, there is more pressure on UD to win this for post season consideration. The Hens are generally ranked a few notches ahead of the Mtn. Hawks, so a Lehigh loss will not be 'devastating'--so long as it's not a blowout, which I doubt it would be. I see a tight game and if it comes down to special teams--i.e. placekicking, I wouldn't be betting the ranch right now, base on last year. An LU loss is far less damaging to its postseason chances, should LU not win the PL--but I believe we have the best chance of winning the league this year.

blukeys
September 3rd, 2005, 10:30 AM
Won't be in attendance this year :( , but the lil' one and I are going to be glued to the tube next Saturday! The poor kid is half Hen and half Engineer...I'll have to sneak the Lehigh gear on him when mom isn't looking! ;)

Keep us posted on how the relationship is going. Some say these "mixed" marriages don't work. :) :) :)