PDA

View Full Version : Bears Tight End Harbor in the eye of the storm

ShowMeBear2
August 24th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Harbor in the eye of the storm

With Missouri State's new offense, the tight end position will be a focus.

Lyndal Scranton
News-Leader

Clay Harbor barely registered a blip on Missouri State's offensive radar last season.
Now the sophomore tight end shows up like a Category 4 hurricane.

"During the offseason, he kind of came into his own," quarterback Matt Krapfl said, using the word "freak" to describe his teammate.

What's happened?

Harbor has added strength, becoming something of a hybrid at his position —strong enough to block, fast enough to run pass routes.

And in new offensive coordinator Rob Christophel's spread formations, the tight end has an expanded role.

"The coaches told me before the season they are going to expect me to make some plays," Harbor said. "They said they're going to give me opportunities."

Harbor has been arguably the Bears' best offensive player during preseason, with 10 catches for 107 yards and a touchdown in two scrimmages.

He had six catches for 73 yards the entire 2006 season.

"He came in very prepared," Christophel said of the 6-foot-4, 230-pound Harbor. "He absorbs information very good and is a good student of the game.

"He understands we're trying to do some different things with him and ... he's done a good job with that."

With three wide receivers frequently on the field, Harbor often finds linebackers attempting to cover him. As a converted receiver, he uses quickness to create mismatches.

You might even consider him a Football Championship Subdivision version of NFL pros Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez.

That isn't lost upon Harbor. He has watched videotape of those two All-Pros and tries to model his game after them.

"They can block and they are big guys that can run," Harbor said.

Added Missouri State coach Terry Allen: "Clay is not your typical tight end. He's a wide receiver in a tight end's body.

"Heck, he can go and play wide receiver because he has that much athleticism, but wide receivers can't go in and play tight end because they're not strong enough or tough enough."

Harbor, more of a basketball standout while at Dwight (Ill.) High School, is quick to point out that he still has a lot to learn.

"I still have to work on some blocking things," he said. "I'm not as big as some of those defensive ends I'm going to be lining up against. I have to work on that."

Allen said if Harbor handles the blocking aspect — and stays healthy — he could have a monster season.

"Clay could be a difference-maker, the surprise player," Allen said. "With what coach Christophel likes to do and with Clay's ability, he could really have a great year."

http://cmsimg.news-leader.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DO&Date=20070824&Category=SPORTS0401&ArtNo=708240429&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&MaxH=400&Border=0

MSUBear42
August 24th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I'm really excited to see Harbor this year, if he's half of what they're talkin him up to be, he's going to be really special.

This is him on the right, #84.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1116/1218568358_6820711c9d.jpg?v=0

ShowMeBear2
August 24th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Harbor is a big kid. The Bears using the tight end for once will be sweet.