PDA

View Full Version : Hatcher answers some questions

The Cats
August 24th, 2007, 05:20 PM
How does the GSU faithful feel about this?

"People always ask me about the option," Hatcher said. " 'One of the best offenses ever. One of the most potent offenses ever.' "

But?

"I just don't know anything about it."

It was, yes, a dealbreaking topic when Hatcher was called to discuss replacing VanGorder.

"When I took the job, I said, 'Now, if you guys are planning on running the option, you don't need to hire me, no feelings hurt,' " Hatcher said.

http://www.macon.com/sports/columnists/story/116206.html?DB_OEM_ID=4000

bobbythekidd
August 24th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Telling a coach to operate a system they don't excel at is ludicrous. Asking a brain surgeon to do dentistry is similar. Both have "Dr" in front of their names. Both are intelligent. Both may be good at what they do. They have no business doing the other's job.

We are better with Hatcher than the last guy. I don't think any of us feel as bad now about losing the option than we used to.

ButlerGSU
August 24th, 2007, 10:49 PM
"People say, 'You're going to a place that recruited option players,' " he said. "My thing is, when you're little, did you go out in the back yard and run option football when you're playing football?"

pete4256
August 25th, 2007, 12:35 PM
"People say, 'You're going to a place that recruited option players,' " he said. "My thing is, when you're little, did you go out in the back yard and run option football when you're playing football?"

I did, but it's because I was a GSU fan and wanted to be Raymond Gross. I had to draw up those option plays in the dirt. xthumbsupx

Old Montana State Grad
August 25th, 2007, 12:54 PM
The old Richmond Academy coach (can't remember his name--Williams?) didn't run the option when he transferred to Westside where Ham and Gross played high school ball, did he?

pete4256
August 25th, 2007, 02:01 PM
The old Richmond Academy coach (can't remember his name--Williams?) didn't run the option when he transferred to Westside where Ham and Gross played high school ball, did he?

Huh?

GaSouthern
August 25th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I think he is talking about stowers? who is the coach of rhode island??? I'm not sure what he is asking.

pete4256
August 25th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Neither Ham nor Gross played at a HS called Westside, and they didn't play at the same high school.

Baldy
August 25th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Neither Ham nor Gross played at a HS called Westside, and they didn't play at the same high school.
Correct, Ham played at Santa Fe HS in Alachua, FL and Gross came from Bradwell Institute out of Hinesville.

Old Montana State Grad
August 25th, 2007, 09:07 PM
My bad. Thought both dads were at Ft. Gordon togetherxsmhx

CopperCat
August 25th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Telling a coach to operate a system they don't excel at is ludicrous. Asking a brain surgeon to do dentistry is similar. Both have "Dr" in front of their names. Both are intelligent. Both may be good at what they do. They have no business doing the other's job.

We are better with Hatcher than the last guy. I don't think any of us feel as bad now about losing the option than we used to.

Hiring a coach and then telling him what system to run is stupid, period. You don't GIVE a coach a system, you let the coach build his own. It defeats the entire purpose of hiring a particular coach if you are going to tell him how to do his job.

Kill'em
August 26th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Unlike his predessor, Hatch knows about offensive football. I am glad he admitted he knows little about it. He has a system that can be equally devestating and I don't want to hear about us having "option" players. These guys are exceptional athletes and they will adjust. As Coach said, this is like the option however, instead of pitching the ball backward, we pitch it foward.

Laserlips
August 26th, 2007, 10:27 AM
FWIW:

I would be less than surprised to see a little "option" pop up now and then THIS SEASON from our GSU Eagle offense.

The sole reason being that for one more season we have Jayson Foster. Jayson Foster (IMO, and from what I've heard) has impressed our new Head Coach Hatcher to the extent that I think there will indeed be some plays, which Coach Hatcher would ordinarily not use, built around Jayson and his particular skills.

Coach Hatcher IMO is a very smart coach.. He said originally that he would "adapt his game plan" to the players he has on the team.. Jayson is one of the most exciting players in the SOCON, and a threat to "make good things happen" with the ball every time he touches it.

So you can bet your boots Coach Hatcher will have Jayson "touching" the ball as often as possible.

I miss the old triple option offense almost as much as I DON'T miss the departure of BVGoober..(not quite as much) but I'll tell ya... Coach Hatcher has brought a new attitude and offense to the 'boro, and I jumped on his bandwagon after the first time I heard him speak..

Coach Hatcher is the real deal, and a perfect fit for the GSU football program. He is everything BVG was not, and thank goodness we have him leading our GSU football program.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.... I don't think Coach Hatcher can perform large miracles in his first year at the helm of the football program, but I DO think he can perform "small miracles", and IMO our "cobbled up" team will indeed surprise some of our opponents this season! We WILL spoil the party for some, wait and see.....

After Coach Hatcher has time to get "his" recruits and program fully under way I think he can indeed perform the larger miracles too.. xthumbsupx

Yep, I'm a GSU "homer".. :D

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy