PDA

View Full Version : It's Just A Game...

mikebigg
August 24th, 2007, 08:01 AM
There's been a lot of debate (ad nauseum) about whether FCS needs HBCU's. It ain't about "need" as much as it is about something just making sense... For instance, it makes sense for Alabama State and Jacksonville State to open this season with a game against each other. It also makes sense that so far (at least to my knowledge) it hasn't turned into anything but a football game by 2 FCS schools to open up the season.

I'll be the first to admit that as a whole the SWAC's ooc record hasn't been overly impressive. But within that record you will find some wins, and more than a few close loses...unfortunately there has also been some blowouts. That however does not mean that the SWAC is an inferior conference...it just means we need to step it up a bit.

I take nothing from McNeese in the two games that they won over Grambling. I will say that the first game was just a straight up azzwhupping over a team that wasn't ready (mentally or physically) for a championship calibre team...remember that these guys lost in the NC game. The second game could have gone either way... McNeese was fortunate to get out of Grambling with the win. Those who attended the game knows that is a fact. Grambling's defense played very well against a team that was just a year removed (with plenty of starters back) from the NC game. Tramon Douglas was unstoppable and so was Bruce Eugene...but in my opinion, bad play calling caused us to lose. But don't take that as an attempt to take away McNeese's credit. They made the plays when it counted...

However, I digress: Just glad to see this matchup between two FCS teams from the same state. Should be interesting. Oh yeah, Go Bama State!

McNeese_beat
August 24th, 2007, 08:31 AM
There's been a lot of debate (ad nauseum) about whether FCS needs HBCU's. It ain't about "need" as much as it is about something just making sense... For instance, it makes sense for Alabama State and Jacksonville State to open this season with a game against each other. It also makes sense that so far (at least to my knowledge) it hasn't turned into anything but a football game by 2 FCS schools to open up the season.

I'll be the first to admit that as a whole the SWAC's ooc record hasn't been overly impressive. But within that record you will find some wins, and more than a few close loses...unfortunately there has also been some blowouts. That however does not mean that the SWAC is an inferior conference...it just means we need to step it up a bit.

I take nothing from McNeese in the two games that they won over Grambling. I will say that the first game was just a straight up azzwhupping over a team that wasn't ready (mentally or physically) for a championship calibre team...remember that these guys lost in the NC game. The second game could have gone either way... McNeese was fortunate to get out of Grambling with the win. Those who attended the game knows that is a fact. Grambling's defense played very well against a team that was just a year removed (with plenty of starters back) from the NC game. Tramon Douglas was unstoppable and so was Bruce Eugene...but in my opinion, bad play calling caused us to lose. But don't take that as an attempt to take away McNeese's credit. They made the plays when it counted...

However, I digress: Just glad to see this matchup between two FCS teams from the same state. Should be interesting. Oh yeah, Go Bama State!

Here's to the state schools renewing rivalries. In Louisiana we have 11 D-I teams and how many play each other? The only current state rivalries outside of the renewal of the Tulane-LSU series (kudos to both for that) are conference rivalries. There is no current series between Tech and anybody else (I do hear ULL and Tech may soon resume a series), the Sun Belts and anybody else, the SWACs and the Southlands.

There's something wrong with that picture.

And that has nothing to do with whether I think the SWAC should join the race for the national championship in an effort to get their programs back to the high levels they once competed on ;) ;) xrolleyesx ...

Ivytalk
August 24th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Excellent post, and it puts the Delaware-Delaware State issue into a fresh perspective.xnodx

McNeese75
August 24th, 2007, 09:34 AM

xthumbsupx Good post Mike!!

89Hen
August 24th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Excellent post, and it puts the Delaware-Delaware State issue into a fresh perspective.xnodx
Ah, mind your own business. :p

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 24th, 2007, 02:54 PM
One of our best-attended games was the 2001 opener against Savannah State. It helped that SSU brought their band to the game. It was the most-attended game (I think) since the 80s. It doesn't get much closer than 55 miles between the campuses.

FormerPokeCenter
August 24th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Damn, MikeBigg. You know common sense has no place on a college football message board ;)

McTailGator
August 24th, 2007, 05:29 PM

Mike that was a couple of Fun games, and you guys showed a lot of class for playing us.

Now if ya'll could just teach your conference mates over in Baton Rouge what class and honor is... xrulesx

Your right about that first game, Doug did a horrible job preping GSU duirng the off season. 2nd game was an eye opener for the Pokes, we figured we would see the same GSU that we did a year earlier. Doug knew he needed to pre his boys for that one. We just had some stars that would not be beat.

Let's do it again sometime. Just for the fun of it.

mikebigg
August 24th, 2007, 09:45 PM
A future matchup is very likely. Our AD is a McNeese grad so I'm sure he would be open to a game. But his first priority will be to get at least two games similar to this year where we play at least 1 BSC conference school (maybe 2) and maybe a lower conference FBS school. He was able to negotiate a deal with nearby ULM that's an attractive payday with bonus incentives based on certain reachable items from our end. But the good thing is that it gives us 1 more game in the state and especially in our immediate area. Our roster is stocked with Monroe area players so this is a recruiting opportunity for students, players, and fans.

With the conference changing to a 7 game mandate, that gives us 2 more ooc opportunities. I'm in favor of 2 FCS matchups as home and home to boost season ticket sales. In the past, we had some classic battles with TnState, SC State, FAMU, and plus we owe Hampton xoopsx . I'd love to rotate those 4 schools as a home and home on the third date of the season, then followup with home and home on the fourth date with other leading FCS schools. Now that would be an attractive home schedule for season ticket sales.

The matchup with the jags are gonna happen... I know yall give the posters a hard time but I'm sure they would love to get a chance to avenge the loss. A lot of the holdup is due to "political" decisions that has nothing to do with football. It's gonna happen again...it just makes "cents".

Retro
August 24th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I really doubt Mcneese will play southern anytime soon and even if so, we will require a lot of stipulations in the contract.. It's hard enough to get ooc as it is for a home and home deal, so we have to avoid last minute scrambles for replacement games...

It's more likely we would schedule you guys again or JSU before that. I don't think Pete is interested in playing Mcneese for one thing.

SU Jag
August 24th, 2007, 10:25 PM
The 9 game mandate tied our hands, it was the worst think that the conference could have done. I'm so glad that the mandate is done with after this year. I not sure how that will effect scheduling though. Most AAMU fans expect to pick up Tuskegee and Miles on a yearly basis, Bama State has been in talks with Miles according to the local paper, Southern hopefully will gain an in-state game plus a "big time" game like Tennessee State, Grambling, I'm not sure where they'll look but I'm pretty sure they'll find a few good slots to fill. What happens to the bottom feeders though, Texas Southern and Prairie View?

As far as instate games go, they dont happen much. UA dodges both UAB and Troy, Auburn also dodges both. Both big programs will pay a FCS team from acroos the country rather than play one in-state. Jackson State plays Delta State this year but, when was the last time that happened? Hopefully we can get back to the in-state games.